Wow. This is not a good remaster.

ArtMontef

11 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I played the original on PS3 back in the day, I thought the original PS4 version was already a remaster so to speak?

I still have the PS4 version which came free on PS plus a while back but like, it's a great game but I don't think I'd want to play it again, not for a good few years yet

> 60FPS is coming also.

Wait! Wasn't the original PS4 version 60fps? ... So what differences are there between the original PS4 and PS3 versions then, a slighter higher resolution?

Telltale games were always 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on PS4, I can't believe that even the remaster of the PS4 version was still at 30fps, even though the original PS4 version wasn't. (which I thought it was)

So technically that's THREE versions of the same game running at 30fps...

Can't speak for the original game, but Before the Storm was 30fps on base console and 60fps on pro. So I guess the remasters are 30fps?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nickr_ said:

Can't speak for the original game, but Before the Storm was 30fps on base console and 60fps on pro. So I guess the remasters are 30fps?

The before the storm remaster (ps4 pro version) has two options, performance and resolution. I'm assuming when they say that 60fps patches are coming, they mean that the PS5 version of LIS will be 60fps and the resolution mode of BTS will be 60

Edited by DeadmanStrife

18 hours ago, turniplord said:

Not quite sure why you class that as being "bad" - it was a brilliant remaster on the PS4, then even better on the PS5 with the increased resolution and reduced loading speeds. It wasn't very good on the Switch, but on more modern consoles it was great.

For me at least the PS5 version crashed several times and had about 3x the bugs of the PS4 version. I did get the platinum but it was a horrible experience and made me never want to touch Saints Row 3 again.

Edited by Sn1per666999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtMontef said:

Does anyone have ANY subtitles from episode 2 onwards? 

It's kinda driving me mad to see audio file names instead of subtitles. 

I've got subtitles to work by turning them off and then back on again. This doesn't seem to work during cutscenes, only during actual gameplay. You also have to do this every time you move to a new scene and sometimes multiple times, it's getting really frustrating.

The subtitles worked fine in chapter 1 but then during the final cutscene they disappeared suddenly and when I started chapter 2 I got audio file names instead of the actual subtitles. Also other than english subtitles seem to work fine, I tried french and they appeared as they should but since I don't speak french they weren't much help.

Edited by Janire1911
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Telltale games were always 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on PS4

This is actually not true. Telltale game always had poor performance on both PS3 and PS4. On PS4 they run at 60 fps with frequent noticable dips to as low as below 20 during some scene/camera changes or when big effects happen.

I recently played Batman and The wolf among us on PS5 and there would still be a few noticable dips. Not as many as on PS4 but they were still present. Their engine was a mess which they never bothered to fix.

Edited by amex_svk

8 minutes ago, amex_svk said:

This is actually not true. Telltale game always had poor performance on both PS3 and PS4. On PS4 they run at 60 fps with frequent noticable dips to as low as below 20 during some scene/camera changes or when big effects happen.

I recently played Batman and The wolf among us on PS5 and there would still be a few noticable dips. Not as many as on PS4 but they were still present. Their engine was a mess which they never bothered to fix.

Sorry yes, what I meant to say was all the Telltale games that were both on PS3 and PS4 were 60fps, some of the newer ones like the Batman ones, they were only on PS4 and they were 30fps.

11 minutes ago, SirPigFace said:

they literally remaster anything these days

There's too many people 'voting with their wallet' to encourage remasters, thus, many remasters/remakes occur.  I, for one, enjoy remakes of past games over remasters.  Yes, I like remasters when it makes sense, but I prefer remakes (i.e. old game built from the ground up; new engine, updated visuals and game mechanics, correct broken storyline elements etc.).  

I would've liked to see a remake of the GTA Definitive Trilogy instead of a remaster.  I know this is a controversial topic and I don't want to get into this debate but my quick take on it is we've seen the GTA games on four generation of consoles now (technically three generations since the Definitive Edition was released for the PS4, not the PS5) and I would've preferred a complete remake from the ground up on those games.  

Back on topic, remasters/remakes will continue until we, the consumer, say no more with our wallet.  There's a lot of old people like me that have nostalgia on older games so we'll see.  I thought the PS4 generation was the remaster generation.  I was wrong; the PS5 generation will likely have exponentially more remasters than the previous gen.  

55 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

This remastering of current-gen games is nothing but cash-grabbing nonsense. Especially when the very same game they're "remastering" is available on the same platform already. At least Street Fighter used to have the decency to call it "X2 Turbo Supercharged 4927HTXD F" or whatever.

Meanwhile, the games that need to desperately be re-released on current-gen consoles (PS4/5) are left to collect dust.

• Legend of Dragoon
  • Alundra
  • Xenogears
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Chrono Cross
  • Valkyrie Profile
  • Breath of Fire 1-4
  • Future Cop LAPD (fight me)
  • FF Pixel Remasters on console
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Terranigma
  • Dino Crisis

But no, let's do Life is Strange.

Life is Strange was clearly a way for Square Enix to make a quick buck, IMO.  I've said this on another post, this game was remastered from an original game that was launched on the same generation.  Now, it's true that it also launched on the PS3 but still, it's clear to me they are using a surge in remaster sales for a quick profit flip.  This game in particular, based on art style and genre, won't see the value in a remaster like a Mass Effect game did.  I don't blame Square Enix for following the money trail but it does put a bad taste in my mouth and puts a cynical spin on any remasters that come along, at least for me.

I already stated my opinion about remasters in an earlier post so I won't regurgitate it here again, but I would say that I don't think all of these are Square Enix properties so they wouldn't have any say on those posted games above.  Future Cop LAPD?  I know a lot about games but I had to look that one up.  1998 game.  I think you're going to need a few more people to support a remake of this game, like a million.  If they remade this game, it would be completely different because of the age of this game.  Nothing would look familiar.  I'm with you on nostalgia games, though.

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paperclip1776 said:

I already stated my opinion about remasters in an earlier post so I won't regurgitate it here again, but I would say that I don't think all of these are Square Enix properties so they wouldn't have any say on those posted games above.  Future Cop LAPD?  I know a lot about games but I had to look that one up.  1998 game.  I think you're going to need a few more people to support a remake of this game, like a million.  If they remade this game, it would be completely different because of the age of this game.  Nothing would look familiar.  I'm with you on nostalgia games, though.

The majority of that list are not SE games; it was more of a general list of re-releases I'd love to see in general. Keep in mind that I purely want re-releases with updated resolutions/trophies+achievements. I generally do not like remakes/re-imaginings. In fact, I hated FF7 Remake and that's a harsh reality for me considering FF7 is my favorite game of all time.

Future Cop LAPD is one of those niche titles that generally only 90s kids seem to remember, but it was a great couch-coop game at the time, lol. I would never expect it to be re-released but it was more of an honorable nostalgic mention.

Edited by Alayaes

1 hour ago, Alayaes said:
  • Chrono Cross
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

These items were seen in a leak not too long ago showing that, at the very least, there was some movement in seeing these remade/remastered. Whether or not that remains to be true is up in the air, but the leak is from items devs submitted to NVIDIA themselves. While the "release dates" are not really notable, some items seen on the full leak for other games have already been released or announced after the leak. Whether or not you believe it, that's up to you, but there seems to be evidence to suggest that there was some thought about these at one point in time.

56vMxyf.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

These items were seen in a leak not too long ago showing that, at the very least, there was some movement in seeing these remade/remastered. Whether or not that remains to be true is up in the air, but the leak is from items devs submitted to NVIDIA themselves. While the "release dates" are not really notable, some items seen on the full leak for other games have already been released or announced after the leak. Whether or not you believe it, that's up to you, but there seems to be evidence to suggest that there was some thought about these at one point in time.

56vMxyf.png

Yeah, I've been checking daily to see about the Chrono Cross one as well considering the composer said something big would be revealed in February. Probably an exclusive lunchbox design or something trivial, but one can hope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janire1911 said:

I've got subtitles to work by turning them off and then back on again. This doesn't seem to work during cutscenes, only during actual gameplay. You also have to do this every time you move to a new scene and sometimes multiple times, it's getting really frustrating.

The subtitles worked fine in chapter 1 but then during the final cutscene they disappeared suddenly and when I started chapter 2 I got audio file names instead of the actual subtitles. Also other than english subtitles seem to work fine, I tried french and they appeared as they should but since I don't speak french they weren't much help.

I'm now playing chapter 3 and turning the subtitles off an back on again didn't seem to work anymore but changing them to another language and then back to english did work. Again, you have to do this every time you start a new scene.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArtMontef said:

Jesus christ. 

I do speak english really well, but it's not my first language, so I often have subtitles on, because sometimes when a character has a thick accent or speaks very fast I mishear some words. 

Who would think working subtitles would be so hard to do in a remaster. They are turned on by default, how did they not fix it before the release, and it downloaded day one patch on release! I have very high tolerance for bugs and glitches, I usually find them more amusing than annoying, but this remaster is really something. 

It's exactly the same way for me too. I could play the game without subtitles but I much prefer to have them on as otherwise it's easy to sometimes miss something a character says. The more I play the more annoying this bug becomes.

• Like 1

Ok wow I'm definitely going to wait until they patch all these issues before I get it. Especially since there's no physical edition.

Does this have the bonus episode in Before the Storm? Also I read there are updates to the puzzles. Have they actually changed anything substantial about the game content, besides the visuals?

6 hours ago, emailking said:

Ok wow I'm definitely going to wait until they patch all these issues before I get it. Especially since there's no physical edition.

Does this have the bonus episode in Before the Storm? Also I read there are updates to the puzzles. Have they actually changed anything substantial about the game content, besides the visuals?

Yep, it does include before the storm. Maybe someone else can comment on any substantial changes, I haven't seen any in first two episodes ? 

I've now started Before the Storm and sadly the problems continue, I'm not even halfway through chapter 1 and the game has already crashed twice. This remaster really needs a patch or two before it can be recommended.

At least the subtitles seem to work and there's no graphical issues so far.

Edited by Janire1911
  • Like 1