Wow. This is not a good remaster.

ArtMontef

I’ve finished both games now - definitely had far more issues in Life is Strange than Before the Storm.

The ‘glow’ at the edge of the screen was an issue all the way through the first game, as was the subtitles issue (though I ended up just turning them off anyways.)

Before the Storm ran basically without issue - except for one odd shader issue at the beginning of Episode 3, where for one scene Rachel and Chloe were glowing like phosphorescent jellyfish, and in the next scene Chloe’s mum was…

…(there’s really no other way to say this)…

…‘blacked up’ like Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’ve finished both games now - definitely had far more issues in Life is Strange than Before the Storm.

Did you play them on a PS4 or PS5? I'm thinking the crashes might be because I'm playing BtS on a PS5 as it is a PS4 game.

As for the subtitle issue in LiS what I found to consistently work was going to the settings, changing the subtitles to french, exiting back to the game and then changing them back to english. That way the subtitles would work until you moved on to the next scene where you had to do this again to get them to work. This also didn't work during cutscenes so you had to wait until you actually controlled Max again to get the subtitles to display correctly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

Did you play them on a PS4 or PS5? I'm thinking the crashes might be because I'm playing BtS on a PS5 as it is a PS4 game.

As for the subtitle issue in LiS what I found to consistently work was going to the settings, changing the subtitles to french, exiting back to the game and then changing them back to english. That way the subtitles would work until you moved on to the next scene where you had to do this again to get them to work. This also didn't work during cutscenes so you had to wait until you actually controlled Max again to get the subtitles to display correctly.

PS5 for me - with both.

Yeah, the subtitles trick did fix it sometimes, though TBH, I ended up playing with headphones on, and so didn't need the subtitles on most of the time so that wasn't as much of a problem for me personally.

The glowing / flickering on the screen though - that's a real disappointing oversight, and one I hope they patch soon, as it was very distracting at times - particularly in the stealth / dream sequence section in Chapter 5, where the screen is dark, and you're required to be vigilant of torch lights coming your way!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Just now, sealightbreeze said:

The weirdest thing that I found so far, is instead of following the dialogue starting in chapter 3 for some reason it’s showing code instead of the words but chapter 4 is back  

Yeah - it's a common bug apparently - and the first one the dev is trying to patch.

The temp workaround is to switch languages, then switch back, but it doesn't always fix it for long - sometimes for a few scenes, sometimes just a few lines. 

It's a pretty daft issue to have missed in testing, that's for sure!

1 minute ago, Stan Lee said:

Damn, I was hoping to play through these again to get some quick trophies between longer games but I'll hold off until these bugs are fixed or there is a sale. Damn shame.

Yeah, I'd recommend waiting too. I mean, trophy-wise there's no bugs or glitches but it's really not a good gaming experience at this point. Especially if you've never played these games before it's best to wait until the issues are ironed out so your first experience with them isn't marred by annoying bugs. They really are great games otherwise.

32 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

Yeah, I'd recommend waiting too. I mean, trophy-wise there's no bugs or glitches but it's really not a good gaming experience at this point. Especially if you've never played these games before it's best to wait until the issues are ironed out so your first experience with them isn't marred by annoying bugs. They really are great games otherwise.

Yeah I have every other game platinumed except for the PS5 version of True Colors. Besides trophies I also want to see the changes to the character models and visuals so if those are glitchy and messed up then it would sort of defeat the purpose.

The game just downloaded patch 1.02 and after some quick testing subtitles seem to work correctly now but the weird graphical glitches at the edges of the screen still seem to be there, though maybe not as bad as before.

Edit: Gamma also seems to have been fixed so the game isn't so dark anymore.

Edited by Janire1911
  • Like 2

On 3.2.2022 at 3:37 AM, enaysoft said:

I played the original on PS3 back in the day, I thought the original PS4 version was already a remaster so to speak?

I still have the PS4 version which came free on PS plus a while back but like, it's a great game but I don't think I'd want to play it again, not for a good few years yet

> 60FPS is coming also.

Wait! Wasn't the original PS4 version 60fps? ... So what differences are there between the original PS4 and PS3 versions then, a slighter higher resolution?

Telltale games were always 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on PS4, I can't believe that even the remaster of the PS4 version was still at 30fps, even though the original PS4 version wasn't. (which I thought it was)

So technically that's THREE versions of the same game running at 30fps...

They came out together, thus not a remaster, just a cross gen launch

• Like 1

Bought the game this morning and Played 7.5hrs today on PS5. After reading all previous posts I think they patched out most problems.

- No audio/subtitles bugs

- 0 crashes

- Can’t recall previous ps4 version but it does look good and runs smooth

- only “bug” I encountered was in chapter 3 and 4 where Max spaces out and it looks like the character model bounces a bit. This only happened like 5 times.

Still weird its a ps4 > ps4 remaster but I’m enjoying it a lot.

• Like 2

ah yes! modern gaming..

the game must be launched in a buggy mess state so they'll fix it later nonesense.

even if they now ported an Atari 2600 game to the ps5 nowdays they must and will ship it with framerate issue and corrupted data " Features " ? so they'll fix it later.

it sound stupid, but nowdays I will be shocked if a game released without any bugs and glitches day one like the old days.

19 minutes ago, ryozombaku said:

Wow, the remaster was a really unpleasant experience. Non-trophy hunters should avoid playing it. A total disrespect to the original game. 

Even trophy hunters should avoid playing it. I wanted to make it my 150th platinum but it doesn't deserve to be in the state it's allegedly in.

I will wait until March or later when they've fixed all the bugs and added 60 fps for PS5!

Going through Before the Storm, I wonder if it's better because it was made originally by Deck Nine, same as the remaster. So I wonder if base game is much worse because they didn't have as much insight into Dontnods work, but they knew what to do with their own game? The game still has glitches, but definitely seems in much better shape ?. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 6:37 AM, Alayaes said:

This remastering of current-gen games is nothing but cash-grabbing nonsense. Especially when the very same game they're "remastering" is available on the same platform already. At least Street Fighter used to have the decency to call it "X2 Turbo Supercharged 4927HTXD F" or whatever.

Meanwhile, the games that need to desperately be re-released on current-gen consoles (PS4/5) are left to collect dust.

• Legend of Dragoon
  • Alundra
  • Xenogears
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Chrono Cross
  • Valkyrie Profile
  • Breath of Fire 1-4
  • Future Cop LAPD (fight me)
  • FF Pixel Remasters on console
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Terranigma
  • Dino Crisis

But no, let's do Life is Strange.

All old but gold classics. I'm still waiting on Chrono Trigger. One of the best JRPGs ever made.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 9:24 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The ‘glow’ at the edge of the screen was an issue all the way through the first game, as was the subtitles issue (though I ended up just turning them off anyways.)

Before the Storm ran basically without issue - except for one odd shader issue at the beginning of Episode 3, where for one scene Rachel and Chloe were glowing like phosphorescent jellyfish, and in the next scene Chloe’s mum was…

…(there’s really no other way to say this)…

…‘blacked up’ like Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer ?

I've come on the forums here to see if anybody else has this issue as well (to see if there's something wrong with my PS4 Pro console). The first thing I noticed when I started Life is Strange Remastered is that there's an annoying, very distracting 'glow' at the right edge of the screen. I see you've encountered it in February and I'm very sad to say that it hasn't been fixed at all two months later.

Took a screenshot so you guys can see what I mean by 'glow', https://i.imgur.com/ptsFyXT.png, the borders you see in this screenshot blink every second, and you have to play through the game with it there, haven't found a way for it to go away.

Edited by UGotHitByGunner
Added a picture

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 10:23 PM, UGotHitByGunner said:

I've come on the forums here to see if anybody else has this issue as well (to see if there's something wrong with my PS4 Pro console). The first thing I noticed when I started Life is Strange Remastered is that there's an annoying, very distracting 'glow' at the right edge of the screen. I see you've encountered it in February and I'm very sad to say that it hasn't been fixed at all two months later.

Took a screenshot so you guys can see what I mean by 'glow', https://i.imgur.com/ptsFyXT.png, the borders you see in this screenshot blink every second, and you have to play through the game with it there, haven't found a way for it to go away.

Could you adjust the screen area in the PS4/5 settings to cut off the last few pixels at the border? I mean it sucks they can't just fix the game, but that would work I think.

Edited by emailking