Borderlands 3 is worse than 2 in so many ways

MrPires10

Borderlands 3 is a worse than 2 in so many ways.

3 has worse voice acting, hub worlds, gunplay, story etc.

- voice acting: the main missions had okay voice acting that is passable. but the side missions voiced acting sounded like gearbox picked some random fool of the street and told them to do a redneck accent for a game.

- Hub worlds: in Borderlands 2 the hub worlds are close to perfect. in 3 most hub worlds are boring, too big & empty. i had more fun playing anthem open world than this pile of horse shit.

- Gunplay: so janky im convinced a 12 year old programed it. aim assist actually hinders your aim instead of ASSISTING IT. i want to know which egghead at gearbox made this because they should not not be in game development.

- Story: the villains are tiktok douchebags that make every scene they are in a headache. the story is about opening the great vault. the other games are also about opening vaults but they also had an interesting narrative that kept the player engaged. borderlands 3 does not, its like having a story with only an end theres no setup to make the ending satisfying it just fells unfinished. its like when you heat up a lasanga but the middle is cold it ruins the whole thing.

EDIT: if people like 3 more than 2 or if its theyre favorite Borderlands game thats fine. im just starting a discussion about this game because i though it was dissapointing and subpar in its its delivery.

Edited by MrPires10
  • Like 4

I hate reading reviews like this because I love the Borderlands series and still haven’t got around to playing BL3 yet. ☹️ Unfortunately this game seems to have really mixed reviews though, I’ve asked many people for their opinions and it’s always all over the map, unlike Borderlands 2 which was pretty much beloved by everyone.

You said the gunplay is worse, but from what I’ve seen it looks really smooth and like a big step up from previous games. How exactly is it worse? 

• Like 1

Nothing touches 2.... the story in 3 was terrible, the characters were terrible, the DLC were terrible... the only good things were sliding and climbing

Currently playing Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep and enjoying it again immensely... the writing is far better and nothing beats Gunzerking for fun... Sal... how you have been missed

• Like 4

Given that Borderlands 2 came out when you were quite young, is it not possible that your nostalgia for the original is rose tinting your judgement. I've played both and I like both about equally,

20 minutes ago, MrPires10 said:

i want to know which egghead at gearbox made this because they should not not be in game development.

Where you lose me completely to be honest is saying that a developer should lose their job, unless they were Randy Pitchford at his worst, I'd avoid making statments in review which make me look like a jerk, and I'd advise you do the same.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I hate reading reviews like this because I love the Borderlands series and still haven’t got around to playing BL3 yet. 2639.png Unfortunately this game seems to have really mixed reviews though, I’ve asked many people for their opinions and it’s always all over the map, unlike Borderlands 2 which was pretty much beloved by everyone.

You said the gunplay is worse, but from what I’ve seen it looks really smooth and like a big step up from previous games. How exactly is it worse? 

To me, the gunplay is the most addicting thing about 3. This guy isn't wrong when it comes to the story and most elements feeling underwhelming, but guns won't disappoint you, and I'd put money on that.

I guess he's just mad about not heavy corrective aim assist, which isn't really a thing in 3 due to a lot more movement-based combat, which really makes 3 a joy to play.

Is 3 the best game ever, or better than 2? Probably not. Is it worth playing as a Borderlands fan or someone who wants to maybe see what the new Tiny Tina game will be like? Very, especially on sale. 

• Like 3

I have been playing the Borderlands games since 2009/2010 and have over two and 2,500hrs logged across BL1, 2, TPS and TFTB, with most of that time coming from BL2 but whilst I loved BL3 when it first came out, the more I played it, the more I grew I dislike it - to the point I can barely even stand to look at it now :(. I really want to play the upcoming Tiny Tina spin-off (she is my favourite character after all) but after the shitshow that was BL3, I have grave misgivings about how it will turn out :(. BL3 is more mechanically sound than previous games and has some welcome QoL improvements but for the most part it's a soulless experience and not fun. For all their flaws, the previous games have far more personality and soul than BL3 ever will.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

I don't think any of them have been amazing games at all. I wouldn't say BL3 is worse than 2 in every single way, but I do agree that 2 was a more enjoyable experience. BL3 irked me mainly because of how the story was completely re-done midway through the development cycle and you can literally see the point where an entirely different narrative slowly starts to overlap the originally intended story. There is an entire mega-dump of files available online to scour through which never made it to the final product and which really show the directions the story was originally intended to go in.

I've loved every BL game in some way, shape, or form. Just repurchased the original remaster to get it on my trophy list as I originally did it on PC, then Xbox.

However I will say that 3 was the most forgettable, I can't deny it. The story meh, and it was the first time the humor just didn't get me hardly at all. The humor was like cutting with a dull knife, takes awhile but eventually it'd cut through, then we repeat the process. BUT, the gameplay was insanely fun.

I have extremely high hopes for Wonderlands, Tina is the greatest character in BL. I will not be convinced otherwise.

Edited by Skurkitty

Just saying everything is 'bad' without actually going into details isn't really that great of a review, and if you can't find the words outside 'not my thing' then you shouldn't be posting a review at all, give it a rating and move on...

3 is better than 2 in the gameplay department, saying otherwise to me is crazy talk with how crazy fluid and smooth the game is using modern day FPS advancements compared to BL2. Running, jumping, using abilites, aiming down the sights and shooting, sliding, maybe the ground pound is dumb but whatever, is all miles better compared to 2. Play 3 for 1 hour and I bet you won't last 5 minutes in 2 with how rigid and restrictive it feels. Jump at an edge in BL2 and tell how far you throw your controller when you don't automatically climb/vault up it like you do in BL3.

Everything else in 3 though, does unfortunately kinda suck compared to 2.The environments are huge in 3, and the vehicles are well done to actually move around them compared to 1 and 2. But the environments themselves are way too big with less stuff to do, with the stuff there is to do being less interesting. BL2 had SO many areas that most had a few quests for you to complete that didn't take forever and the ones that did had you explore the map in it's entirety usually on foot. Everything felt within reach. Something like the Hodunk questline in BL2 would take twice the amount of time in BL3 simply because everything is way spread so far apart. I bring up that questline because of the locations, The dust area, the bar in The Highlands, and ending in the town in Lynchwood. Each having fast travel points for quick access and all being relatively small(Lynchwood is bigger but you don't need the entire map for the quests). BL3 has TERRIBLE fast travel points because it's all relying on the car which you can teleport to, but then that makes co-op almost a design necessary which is a huge strike because if your game functions that poorly with 1 player vs. 4, you fucked up somewhere. Gearbox said they would add more vending machines and fast travel points but they never did.

Now that you know how the maps are, all of BL3 has to be done in a vehicle with how big and empty they are with a pretty poor 3D map system that has a buggy UI even to this day having you do basic fetch quests. 40% of the game is one green puke coloured planet where 15% of that planet is in one big mansion, BL2 didn't have this issue because every other thing you did was in a brand new area that all looked distinct from one another. More was not better here. God don't get me started on how many hours I have in BL3 across PS4,5 and PC and I still get lost in Sanctuary 3 or struggle to find stuff in the menus.

I don't know how you can say they found random people to play as hicks when literally all of BL is random hicks giving you stupid shit to do so you can get a new item as a reward. The Twins themselves is a great concept that they unfortunately decided to marry with the groundwork being their social media crazies instead of just their being a power vacuum after Jack died and the twins rose up to reign in the psychos. Having two sirens come into power and giving a 'voice' to the people that no one likes is hard to fuck up but they fucked it up hard by giving them this incredibly cringe social media angle.

I agree that living up to Jack is hard, but their real mistake was trying to make these new villains larger than life to try and match Jack instead of being their own thing. All you hear people say is Jack this and Jack that, this is the same shit that happened with Bioshock 1 -> Bioshock 2 where people didn't even give the characters in that game a chance because Andrew Ryan was too perfect. Bioshock 2 had a great cast of characters where they were separate from 1 and they did their own thing, BL3 tried to continuously top Jack by making them way too in your face, a literal "2 is better than 1!" strategy. This made them very annoying and you end up tuning them out.

BL2 was pretty cringe not gonna lie in its story and writing and somehow BL3 topped that in SPADES. You can say this was an issue since the start and Jack was just the glue keeping it together, where he was just the only well written thing in BL2 that when you take him out all your left with is random hicks being loud. BL3 went off characters most people didn't know because what shooter fan played Tales from the Borderlands???? And they didn't even act the same way they did in that game, no Scooter, Tina's barely in the game, what's left is just ear grating nonsense from poorly written villains and characters most players have no attachment to.

BL3 is fun as hell to play with it's gameplay systems, passable endgame content and a great season pass 1(season pass 2 is dreadful don't buy it). The NG+ was kinda forced in BL2 and the slag system and OP system was divisive, the system they created in 3 was a step in the right direction and I wish it was expanded upon more. You'll just have to play the game on perma mute until you hit the DLC's cause the DLC's are the best parts of the main game because everything is condensed. I look forward to Wonderlands, Randy Pitchford is a fucking creep that needs to go, thank you for reading my TED talk.

Edited by StanPortrBridges
  • Like 4

I feel 3 is far weaken than 2 mostly due to how the plot is not what we were lead to believe mostly from the getting ready for the great war and so on and so on. I agree the main bad guys are weak as shit compared to jack but I feel what kills it is the way loot and gear is now.

A lot of the loot is basically shit and useless unless you get the right one of it as in. The one with the right anointment on it to the skill you want and so on. And plus the mayhem drawbacks are not fun at all for the loot you get. it is just bashing your head on the wall till you get the one you want. it is nothing like 1 or 2s loot. As any of the past games loot worked so any kind of the legendary guns can work. Like if we take the conference call gun.

If you wanted a fire one and you get the shock one you can still use the shock one for the time being till you get the fire one and your still powerful. with how 3 does it, if you got the hellwalker shotgun and it does not have the right set up for your beastmaster or siren est. your basically using a weaken one of the gun that your better off just throwing away. as relics now don't give much buffs to your stats like 2s did. The only big change other than looks is the movement is better making combat more fun but with the mayhem mods on it fucks up a lot of your fighting a lot and big time making it where you basically got to build a build that everyone else uses as yeah.

If I was to sum up borderlands 3. I would say it is a flawed but fun game if you play on normal but just don't view it as much of loot and shooter as 2 was builds you make become useless in higher modes because of the shit gimmicks of mayhem mode and the anointments makes a lot of the legendaries basically useless and shit and only afew are worth keeping.

Plus the dlcs help abit of the game namely the cowboy and handsome jackpot and maybe the last one but yeah it is not worth full price on sale maybe with all the dlcs but without it. it is not worth it. better off going back to borderlands 1.5 or 2 as 3 really sucks out the fun of the loot and shoot part and what little plot was building up to just thrown to the side for new characters that are just bad overall. As if your here for the plot or like me are here for the loot and shooting and building really cool powerful builds you can't really make anything cool in higher levels of play.

If I were to sum up the past games in afew lines I would do so as such minus the dlcs.

Borderlands 1. Very boring setting and just forgettable plot but guns are powerful and have the best set up for all weapons in the games IMO.

Borderlands 1.5. Tries its best to make you care about the bad guy from 2 and it can be hit or miss but what a makes it better is the grinder to make your own powerful gear and guns and the builds are great just has a lot of ups and downs mostly downs for shitty missions.

Borderlands 2. The story is much better and the missions are fun to do and however the guns are abit gimmicky then the first game and not as powerful but still great builds to be made and so on.

Tales from the borderlands. It's a telltale game with borderlands as the plot and well it works for setting up stuff for what could of been but yeah still left with a cliff hanger that never will be addressed because there was no part 2 and yeah.

Edited by Lonemankane

3 hours ago, nukillerstar said:

To me, the gunplay is the most addicting thing about 3. This guy isn't wrong when it comes to the story and most elements feeling underwhelming, but guns won't disappoint you, and I'd put money on that.

I guess he's just mad about not heavy corrective aim assist, which isn't really a thing in 3 due to a lot more movement-based combat, which really makes 3 a joy to play.

Is 3 the best game ever, or better than 2? Probably not. Is it worth playing as a Borderlands fan or someone who wants to maybe see what the new Tiny Tina game will be like? Very, especially on sale. 

That’s exactly what I thought. Granted, it’s difficult to get a proper feel for the game when you’re watching someone else play, but the movement looked very smooth to me, the guns looked to be very punchy and satisfying to kill with, and there looked to be quite a variety of different weapons, abilities and new elemental effects which I’m really looking forward to checking out.

I’m definitely going to try to grab the Ultimate Edition on sale since I’m not in a huge rush to run out and buy this immediately. And I’ll likely play it with my bro, which should make for a pretty fun time even if it doesn’t end up living up to the legacy of BL2. All these bad reviews are a bit alarming, but like always I find you have to to and check it out for yourself to really know what you’re dealing with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I hate reading reviews like this because I love the Borderlands series and still haven’t got around to playing BL3 yet. 2639.png Unfortunately this game seems to have really mixed reviews though, I’ve asked many people for their opinions and it’s always all over the map, unlike Borderlands 2 which was pretty much beloved by everyone.

it doesnt fell snappy or rewarding & much less fun. like i said its janky. if gearbox let players use keyboard & mouse for this game it would be so much better.

5 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

Given that Borderlands 2 came out when you were quite young, is it not possible that your nostalgia for the original is rose tinting your judgement. I've played both and I like both about equally,

Where you lose me completely to be honest is saying that a developer should lose their job, unless they were Randy Pitchford at his worst, I'd avoid making statments in review which make me look like a jerk, and I'd advise you do the same.

i admit i was wrong to make that statement i was just triggered.

also i only played Bordelands 2 last year for the first time i never played it during the ps3 era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrostyMcNugs said:

This thread title is such clickbait... BL3 is not worse than BL2 in every way; especially gunplay and general movement.

I do admit that the story of BL2 was better than BL3 though.

sorry about the clickbait title. its just this game was so dissapointing i made my blood boil.

im correcting the title to: Borderlands 3 is worse than 2 in so many ways.

10 minutes ago, MrPires10 said:

also i only played Bordelands 2 last year for the first time i never played it during the ps3 era.

Me and my brother played all the games all the way through together for the first time around 2019 (we had started but never finished ps3 versions) so I do reckon that my eyes became rose tinted towards any thing that we were playing after the first game and pre sequel, which were 2 and 3. Not that I thought pre sequel was bad, but I do think it's weaker than both 2 and 3

1 minute ago, breakingthegreen said:

Me and my brother played all the games all the way through together for the first time around 2019 (we had started but never finished ps3 versions) so I do reckon that my eyes became rose tinted towards any thing that we were playing after the first game and pre sequel, which were 2 and 3. Not that I thought pre sequel was bad, but I do think it's weaker than both 2 and 3

i never enjoyed pre sequel that much i only played a little bit of it but it was my first borderlands game. but after i played 2 i loved it and now borderlands 2 is easily in my top 10 favorite games.

4 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Gameplay was way better in 3. And other mechanics like fast travelling from everywhere in the map and adding Mayhem levels.

Story was worse than 2, the Twins can't even compare to Handsome Jack

i will admit being able to change mayhem mode on the fly is great same as fast travelling.

i dont agree with you on gameplay but i respect it.

2 hours ago, StanPortrBridges said:

Just saying everything is 'bad' without actually going into details isn't really that great of a review, and if you can't find the words outside 'not my thing' then you shouldn't be posting a review at all, give it a rating and move on...

3 is better than 2 in the gameplay department, saying otherwise to me is crazy talk with how crazy fluid and smooth the game is using modern day FPS advancements compared to BL2. Running, jumping, using abilites, aiming down the sights and shooting, sliding, maybe the ground pound is dumb but whatever, is all miles better compared to 2. Play 3 for 1 hour and I bet you won't last 5 minutes in 2 with how rigid and restrictive it feels. Jump at an edge in BL2 and tell how far you throw your controller when you don't automatically climb/vault up it like you do in BL3.

Everything else in 3 though, does unfortunately kinda suck compared to 2.The environments are huge in 3, and the vehicles are well done to actually move around them compared to 1 and 2. But the environments themselves are way too big with less stuff to do, with the stuff there is to do being less interesting. BL2 had SO many areas that most had a few quests for you to complete that didn't take forever and the ones that did had you explore the map in it's entirety usually on foot. Everything felt within reach. Something like the Hodunk questline in BL2 would take twice the amount of time in BL3 simply because everything is way spread so far apart. I bring up that questline because of the locations, The dust area, the bar in The Highlands, and ending in the town in Lynchwood. Each having fast travel points for quick access and all being relatively small(Lynchwood is bigger but you don't need the entire map for the quests). BL3 has TERRIBLE fast travel points because it's all relying on the car which you can teleport to, but then that makes co-op almost a design necessary which is a huge strike because if your game functions that poorly with 1 player vs. 4, you fucked up somewhere. Gearbox said they would add more vending machines and fast travel points but they never did.

Now that you know how the maps are, all of BL3 has to be done in a vehicle with how big and empty they are with a pretty poor 3D map system that has a buggy UI even to this day having you do basic fetch quests. 40% of the game is one green puke coloured planet where 15% of that planet is in one big mansion, BL2 didn't have this issue because every other thing you did was in a brand new area that all looked distinct from one another. More was not better here. God don't get me started on how many hours I have in BL3 across PS4,5 and PC and I still get lost in Sanctuary 3 or struggle to find stuff in the menus.

I don't know how you can say they found random people to play as hicks when literally all of BL is random hicks giving you stupid shit to do so you can get a new item as a reward. The Twins themselves is a great concept that they unfortunately decided to marry with the groundwork being their social media crazies instead of just their being a power vacuum after Jack died and the twins rose up to reign in the psychos. Having two sirens come into power and giving a 'voice' to the people that no one likes is hard to fuck up but they fucked it up hard by giving them this incredibly cringe social media angle.

I agree that living up to Jack is hard, but their real mistake was trying to make these new villains larger than life to try and match Jack instead of being their own thing. All you hear people say is Jack this and Jack that, this is the same shit that happened with Bioshock 1 -> Bioshock 2 where people didn't even give the characters in that game a chance because Andrew Ryan was too perfect. Bioshock 2 had a great cast of characters where they were separate from 1 and they did their own thing, BL3 tried to continuously top Jack by making them way too in your face, a literal "2 is better than 1!" strategy. This made them very annoying and you end up tuning them out.

BL2 was pretty cringe not gonna lie in its story and writing and somehow BL3 topped that in SPADES. You can say this was an issue since the start and Jack was just the glue keeping it together, where he was just the only well written thing in BL2 that when you take him out all your left with is random hicks being loud. BL3 went off characters most people didn't know because what shooter fan played Tales from the Borderlands???? And they didn't even act the same way they did in that game, no Scooter, Tina's barely in the game, what's left is just ear grating nonsense from poorly written villains and characters most players have no attachment to.

BL3 is fun as hell to play with it's gameplay systems, passable endgame content and a great season pass 1(season pass 2 is dreadful don't buy it). The NG+ was kinda forced in BL2 and the slag system and OP system was divisive, the system they created in 3 was a step in the right direction and I wish it was expanded upon more. You'll just have to play the game on perma mute until you hit the DLC's cause the DLC's are the best parts of the main game because everything is condensed. I look forward to Wonderlands, Randy Pitchford is a fucking creep that needs to go, thank you for reading my TED talk.

good TED talk. i dont completely agree but its your opinion and i respect it.

2 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

I feel 3 is far weaken than 2 mostly due to how the plot is not what we were lead to believe mostly from the getting ready for the great war and so on and so on. I agree the main bad guys are weak as shit compared to jack but I feel what kills it is the way loot and gear is now.

A lot of the loot is basically shit and useless unless you get the right one of it as in. The one with the right anointment on it to the skill you want and so on. And plus the mayhem drawbacks are not fun at all for the loot you get. it is just bashing your head on the wall till you get the one you want. it is nothing like 1 or 2s loot. As any of the past games loot worked so any kind of the legendary guns can work. Like if we take the conference call gun.

If you wanted a fire one and you get the shock one you can still use the shock one for the time being till you get the fire one and your still powerful. with how 3 does it, if you got the hellwalker shotgun and it does not have the right set up for your beastmaster or siren est. your basically using a weaken one of the gun that your better off just throwing away. as relics now don't give much buffs to your stats like 2s did. The only big change other than looks is the movement is better making combat more fun but with the mayhem mods on it fucks up a lot of your fighting a lot and big time making it where you basically got to build a build that everyone else uses as yeah.

If I was to sum up borderlands 3. I would say it is a flawed but fun game if you play on normal but just don't view it as much of loot and shooter as 2 was builds you make become useless in higher modes because of the shit gimmicks of mayhem mode and the anointments makes a lot of the legendaries basically useless and shit and only afew are worth keeping.

Plus the dlcs help abit of the game namely the cowboy and handsome jackpot and maybe the last one but yeah it is not worth full price on sale maybe with all the dlcs but without it. it is not worth it. better off going back to borderlands 1.5 or 2 as 3 really sucks out the fun of the loot and shoot part and what little plot was building up to just thrown to the side for new characters that are just bad overall. As if your here for the plot or like me are here for the loot and shooting and building really cool powerful builds you can't really make anything cool in higher levels of play.

If I were to sum up the past games in afew lines I would do so as such minus the dlcs.

Borderlands 1. Very boring setting and just forgettable plot but guns are powerful and have the best set up for all weapons in the games IMO.

Borderlands 1.5. Tries its best to make you care about the bad guy from 2 and it can be hit or miss but what a makes it better is the grinder to make your own powerful gear and guns and the builds are great just has a lot of ups and downs mostly downs for shitty missions.

Borderlands 2. The story is much better and the missions are fun to do and however the guns are abit gimmicky then the first game and not as powerful but still great builds to be made and so on.

Tales from the borderlands. It's a telltale game with borderlands as the plot and well it works for setting up stuff for what could of been but yeah still left with a cliff hanger that never will be addressed because there was no part 2 and yeah.

i pretty much agree with everything you just said. heres hoping the next game is great so old & new fans alike can enjoy it.

Holy crap, it's like we both played different games

- voice acting: the main missions had okay voice acting that is passable. but the side missions voiced acting sounded like gearbox picked some random fool of the street and told them to do a redneck accent for a game.

That's how it always was in the previous borderlands games. Ellie is a prime example dating all the way back from BL1

- Hub worlds: in Borderlands 2 the hub worlds are close to perfect. in 3 most hub worlds are boring, too big & empty. i had more fun playing anthem open world than this pile of horse shit.

Agree to disagree. The atlus level, devil's razor, all of eden-6, the neon lights of meridian metropolis, and the Jacob's/Sir hamerlock DLC had one of the best maps in borderlands imo. 

- Gunplay: so janky im convinced a 12 year old programed it. aim assist actually hinders your aim instead of ASSISTING IT. i want to know which egghead at gearbox made this because they should not not be in game development.

Again.. agree to disagree. BL3 has the best gunplay imo plus the dualsense with the adaptive triggers feels like you're firing an actual gun. The revolvers are quite satisfying in this game.

- Story: the villains are tiktok douchebags that make every scene they are in a headache.

That's the only part that I agree with. Didn't like the story especially with the way they treated past characters. 

18 hours ago, Lonemankane said:

Yeah, anointments and mayhem levels kind of ruined the end game of BL3... BL2 was much simpler in simple OP levels and attachments.

I really liked Moze and FL4K but Zane and the buff lady (Amara?) were just super boring for me... I get that they tried to make the 4 main classes (bruiser/tank, siren, assassin, commando) from BL1 like how BL2 did with some added innovation but when you introduce characters with cool, new abilities like Mechromancer and Psycho then the main 4 archetypes get stale after the 3rd time... Plus the personalities of the characters in BL2 were portrayed a lot more in volume and quality when compared to the playable characters of BL3.

FL4K was a breath of fresh air since they fused the bruiser and siren archetypes together lol but he quickly got ruined when they began to nerf all his abilities. Why nerf characters in a PVE game that promotes mayhem? I used to love spamming the DOOM Jakobs shotgun with his crit tree to spread the critical hits but they nerfed that into the ground... Now all the loot I got for that specific tree and play-style are near useless and I have to grind all over again. That's when I quit.

Edited by FrostyMcNugs

• 1 year later...