Martha Is Dead delayed over censorship on PS

NMErickson

Reading through the tweets there's this 
"sirparzival24@sirparzival24Replying to @Akira092421There’s a scene where you cut your dead baby’s sisters face off and wear it. It’s literally a mini game of sawing her face off and then wearing it lol"

I mean there's worse in horror movies so I don't know seems kind of dumb, @Undead Wolf for your list?

• Like 1

"consisting of potentially discomforting scenes and themes that may distress some players" then just don't play it, it is really that simple! It's hilarious to be overly concerned with grown-ups who know exactly what to do with their lives and interests, but of course, we need to be treated like hypersensitive children who don't know how a video game works. give me a fucking break.

my advice to the OP and anyone else who was looking forward to this game: boycott. play on another platform. this censorship is sure to detract from the original experience. don't feed this predatory industry.

Edit: oh, and I just remembered The Last of Us Part II which was one of the best and most controversial experiences provided by Sony/Playstation, a work full of violence and all kinds of mental triggers, so this is just hypocritical.

Edited by kevao97

54 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I watched some stuff on it and…yeah, I can get it this time. Some pretty fucking disturbing stuff. Still, I know people are gonna be pissed whether it’s justified or not.

Yep this is some fucked up shit. I like how the devs are like "we worked passionately for 4 years on this." That's cool and all but it's like what were you expecting??

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, EverythingOnFire said:

It's Sony's platform, and they have every right to make this kind of call.

Having said that, I don't agree with their decision, and I think it's too bad that the Martha Is Dead developers can't afford to tell Sony to fuck off, and then take their game off the platform entirely. I'll be buying the game on Steam so I can see the entire vision. I'll buy a lewd tiddy game too, just because I can.

you are absolutely correct my friend, Sony has its right to demand a product to be released according to its guidelines of course, that's why the consumer should make use of their power and send Sony to hell by boycotting. it's all about contracts and money, and you can be sure the developers are extremely frustrated with this decision.

in contrast, we have the general questionable quality control on the part of Sony, laughable.

Surprised to hear this - Town of Light had some pretty disturbing stuff in it, but the tone and use of such elements was a far cry from exploitative or sleazy - if anything, it was educational, and treated with the sober care it deserved.

I don’t know much about Martha is Dead, but if a similar approach is being used here, I’m quite taken aback that Sony would feel it falls foul of their policies. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

That just makes it more pathetic regarding the censorship.  Anyone played TLOU2?

The difference the violent moments on TLOU2 had an impact on the overall plot. While some of them would cross the line, none of them would go way into graphic detail just for the sake of it, only really graphic moment was Joel and we only got to see it all in order to make Ellie's journey and trauma more real, it had a purpose on the story. Just like all the cult scenes, all of it had a meaning in the game.

In this game, as you can see from the gameplay, it's quite literally "my sister died, I want to cut her face". No meaning behind it, no plot motivation, no gameplay improvement. They just give you the option and you pick it, you do the cut and the characters wakes up. Where's the meaning of this? Why did I cut the face? It's just here for shock value. Some could say it's good horror, it isn't. Shock value and gore isn't horror, is just for shock, a quick "eww, that's gross" and 5 minutes later you already forgot about what you saw.

Am I up for censorship? No way. Does it make sense on a certain standpoint to get this scene removed? Yeah, kinda. Scenes like this, just for shock as I mentioned have no meaning to the game and only serve for unnecessary controversy. Get the scene in, there's controversy, get the scene out, there's still controversy, only on different parties. I'm sure if it had story meaning the scene you stay in, Town of Light is a good example, it also had gruesome scenes but they were all kept in, because they meant something to the game.

I couldn't care less for what happens next, just dropping my 2 cents on this topic. If this affects you in any way possible, then just buy the game on a different platform, or just change platforms all together. Keep playing on a system you don't support the rules of and then complaining because of said rules is like shooting yourself on the foot and then saying it hurts.

For now I will just wait for the eventual thread lock. You all can't have a normal discussion without blaming parties that have nothing to do with what's going on.

Edited by maiathewinners
  • Like 2

This thread's already gotten hyperbolic, making it pointless to try and have any discussion about censorship in good faith.

That said, Sony needs to have a set of detailed written guidelines made available for developers and publishers so that they know in advance whether they'll have to alter their games for any PS release, and can decide in advance whether a PS version is worth the extra work. In a situation like this, the developer has already spent time and resources making a PlayStation version, so not having a PlayStation release will hurt them. 

My guess is that Sony not having a written set of guidelines is so that they can give a pass to games from big publishers. Because, despite the insistence of some that Sony's policy stems from an ideology they've adopted since moving their HQ, Sony would not request these kinds of changes from immensely successful franchises, unless they thought it'd be an absolute PR nightmare.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

then just buy the game on a different platform,

I will be doing :)

or just change platforms all together. Keep playing on a system you don't support the rules of and then complaining because of said rules is like shooting yourself on the foot and then saying it hurts.

I'm in the process of purchasing every game that Sony can't handle on other platforms, eventually I'll fully move over to PC, but for now money is stopping that.

It's hilarious how Sony and Nintendo have flipped roles, Sony is the censor heavy crybabies while Nintendo are ok with it.

• Like 2

I've watched the full video of the demo and it appears that the whole face-off thing didn't even happen in-universe, Martha's body is prepared for the funeral with face intact. Censorship sucks, but if all we lose, is a bunch of cheap shock scenes with barely any meaning in-game except for "yo, wanna cosplay as leatherface?", we're not losing too much.

• Like 4