Easy mode incoming

Alley_Cat_8633

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, sorry - I’m referring to the tweet headline, which states that the things listed below are part of new “accessibility updates”

Right, but you twisted the premise of this thread (see title) to talk about something else -- able-bodied gamers. vs. handicapped. That was not even the point.

While we can only guess why these new modes are being added, I would lean towards the "journalist mode" mentioned in the second reply. :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Right, but you twisted the premise of this thread (see title) to talk about something else -- able-bodied gamers. vs. handicapped. That was not even the point.

While we can only guess why these new modes are being added, I would lean towards the "journalist mode" mentioned in the second reply. :)

I don’t believe I did - It is my understanding that the difference between ‘accessibility’ option and other menu options is that ‘accessibility’ options are aimed specifically at, and designed to cater to, those with additional needs.

That’s certainly been the case with PC / Tablet options  (increased font sizes for the visually impaired/ remapped controls for those with physical difficulties etc) - and it’s been the crux of most threads on this site where ‘accessibility options’ have been discussed.

The original post is quoting a tweet that specifically states “Accessibility Update” - so I feel I’m on solid grounds discussing that.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It is my understanding that the difference between ‘accessibility’ option and other menu options is that ‘accessibility’ options are aimed specifically at, and designed to cater to, those with additional needs.

AS IF the majority of people that will use easy mode will be disabled, it's just gonna be lazy ♥s that don't want to learn the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

It just seems like this is more of an ego issue than anything else really.

mmhmm THAT'S what it is, well done you got it. It's not 'cause it goes against the entire premise of the game, fail, learn, get better, no it's 'cause gamers are too full of themselves to see someone else do well.

16 minutes ago, WLCB22 said:

mmhmm THAT'S what it is, well done you got it. It's not 'cause it goes against the entire premise of the game, fail, learn, get better, no it's 'cause gamers are too full of themselves to see someone else do well.

I’m glad we’re on the same page! Plus, you make it seem like there aren’t going to be players who still won’t experience that on easy mode. Unless easy mode sets it to where you aren’t able to die at all, everything you just said about the game’s premise is still able to happen. Everyone has different skill levels. We don’t even know how drastic the changes are either. 

Edited by ArabianSwordsman

I don't really see this as a problem? I see this way more as a benefit.

If you create a game that is gatekept by difficultly who are they really making people enjoy this game? The 1% the loves difficulty and want everything kept the same, there is 99% of the audience that would like to enjoy this game, and difficulty has been a major reason people don't jump in or buy the game. I've had a few discussions with people being on the fence for that very reason; beautiful artistic game but difficulty hinder them to purchase it. On top of that they're adding more accessibility option in general that's awesome support and awareness of the product.

You're also not loosing the difficulty; Normal difficulty will still exist and the post even mentions a more difficult option as well for the non trophy goers. The ever changing landscape of trophies means percentage will ever change. Less Mein Leben style trophies and more developers being able get more people to experience their amazing game.

21 minutes ago, Good_Sir_Matt_II said:

I wonder what that could mean in terms of difficulty, a counter indicator like in the Batman games or perhaps damage sliders for enemies  

I havea  feeling that would be that standard it will tell you which one is attacking, and then damage sliders. I would also assume they would only do certain attacks as usingthe dodge/parry reuires a lot of directional movement.

• Like 2

This makes sense for multiple reasons.

Not everyone is able to play on the standard difficulty whether it be the need for accessibility options or lack of skills.

More people will buy the game because of the options to play on an easier difficulty, more trophy hunters too.

The only people who will be bothered by this are those who entirely play games for trophy rarity and are hurt when a game becomes easier/more accessible to others who may not be as skilled or able.

Reminds me a little of Celeste when that game had accessibility options put in. 

You don't have to play the game that way so if you want to keep your pride or ego high above everyone else, play on standard or the higher difficulty that's coming.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fr_0zt said:

I still don't understand why people worry/bother about trophy rarity.  

Precisely this. You can still play it on whatever difficulty you want, just opens the door to people of different skill-sets or abilities. Rarity for the sake of rarity is always a vain endeavour. You do you if you want the challenge - the developer probably feels more people will be able to play the game, but this way, they aren't compromising the challenge for those who want the 'authentic' experience. WIn-win, as far as I'm concerned. Also no guarentee some studios won't do this down the road via a random update, for example, The Evil Within 2. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JusttJD said:

No, you have it the other way around.

The only people that are bothered are the ones that are incapable or unwilling to play the game how the developers made it.

Either through lack of skill, or just unwilling to practice and put time into something.

Just like with every other "hard" game, or any other hard thing in life.

Instead of practicing and getting better, it's just easier to take a shortcut.

If the developers intended this game to be played on  "easy" mode, they would have done that from the start.

And if was the case, then I would have zero problems with it.

"Do what you want to do and to each their own"

But, this is about people bothering developers to change their creative ideas and direction because previously mentioned reasons.

Instead of finding something that is already suited for them, they want the rest to be tailored specifically for them as well.

God, I can already see the messages in a couple weeks of the people who think that Elden Ring is too hard for them and want a Easy mode as well. 1f612.png

In terms of trophy rarity, it would have been better if they did something like this from the start.

- Finish the game on Easy.

- Finish the game on Normal.

Two separate trophies that distinguish those that try and succeed, and those that don't.

Now, personally... I don't give a f*ck. But I can understand that other people feel different.

I don't disagree with your thoughts or reasoning. I played, completed and platinum'd Returnal. I enjoyed the experience it gave me and the visual lore it produced because of the difficulty and hardship, but if they added an story/easy mode or option to help new players I'm not gonna stop them. I played and enjoyed the game, I want more people to enjoy this game so I can get more in future :D

I don't believe that games shouldn't be gatekept by difficulty due to "artistic intriguty/vision", you can and will still be able to play that vision on Normal if/when the patches arrives. Due to this addition you may even get a second game of this in future and the respect from gaming public which Im more interested in for being open and willing to allow people in.

• Like 1