Easy mode incoming

Alley_Cat_8633

the trophy side of me is happy but other side isn't i'm kinda fed up with this "easy mode" that people talk about on twitter and say "we say this for the disabled gamers" when the people who say this and get the most likes and retweets are able body people who just suck at difficult games and don't want to take the time and learn, but a easy mode doesn't really help cause they can add some things to make it more easy rather just giving you more damage and enemies doing less damage what about people who struggle with reaction time with their hands or have problems preforming combos and remembering them from brain damage and difficulty with enemies with no markers when they are surrounded and want to find a way out because of eye sight or putting the color blue around all weapons even when you are holding them along with enemies you can probably add several other things but i can't think of anymore off the top of mg head. It's sad because some people now a days treat disabled people like children and are shocked that some are pretty smart and they are capable of a lot of things physically 

Edited by ScottishNub
  • Like 2

On 12/02/2022 at 6:41 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s not a difficulty mode, it’s an accessibility option.

It’s there to cater to those with additional needs, to allow them to level the playing field, and allow them to enjoy the game on the same level as others.

Able-bodied / neurotypical people getting outraged by that, because it could be exploited by other able-bodied / neurotypical people - and therefore affect the precious rarities of their trophies - is the equivalent to complaining about a wheelchair accessible ramp being installed on a building, because some people who could use the stairs, might not. 

Just take the stairs - and stop spending time fretting over whether everyone else is.

No offence but maybe not the best comparison but at the same time, I see your point. I have high functioning autism and have obtained some hard platinums.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrettyBoy said:

No offence but maybe not the best comparison but at the same time, I see your point. I have high functioning autism and have obtained some hard platinums.

Of course - I didn’t in any way mean to imply that all physically challenged or neurodiverse people need the functions of an accessibility mode - I apologise if it came off that way.

I only meant that the primary concepts behind the inclusions of accessibility modes are to cater to those people who do need some additional support.

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

Of course - I didn’t in any way mean to imply that all physically challenged or neurodiverse people need the functions of an accessibility mode - I apologise if it came off that way.

I only meant that the primary concepts behind the inclusions of accessibility modes are to cater to those people who do need some additional support.

All good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As for the thing I mentioned about obtaining hard platinums, autism can make someone become enthusiastic about their hobbies (which is a good thing, everyone needs something to enjoy and take pride in) so perhaps autism can play a role in being determined to get shit done.

I have seen some autistic people with impressive platinums to be honest.

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrettyBoy said:

As for the thing I mentioned about obtaining hard platinums, autism can make someone become enthusiastic about their hobbies (which is a good thing, everyone needs something to enjoy and take pride in) so perhaps autism can play a role in being determined to get shit done.

I have seen some autistic people with impressive platinums to be honest.

I don’t doubt it - my son is Autistic, and though he is only 7 now, his ability to solve puzzles, remember things like directions and routes, and recognise patterns has always been uncanny for his age - right back to when he was a toddler.

Those are certainly skills that will no doubt map very easily onto video-games if he ends up getting into them! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t doubt it - my son is Autistic, and though he is only 7 now, his ability to solve puzzles, remember things like directions and routes, and recognise patterns has always been uncanny for his age - right back to when he was a toddler.

Those are certainly skills that will no doubt map very easily onto video-games if he ends up getting into them! 

That’s good. I I personally hate puzzles in video games but that’s just me. I’m fine with a challenge but puzzles are the type of thing in video games that just bore me, not my cup of tea.

On 12/02/2022 at 4:38 AM, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

excellent news to see them knock the challenge back. there is no reason for so many people to have to struggle while attempting to participate in their hobby of gaming. 

Oh no, how terrible that players encounter difficulty in their video games. It’s almost like this difficulty is a challenge that can be overcome via practice and skill which can be very rewarding in the end. 

• Like 1

Since I have seen others mention their views, I will mention mine now so here goes.

I was planning to get this game at some point so I can obtain another hard platinum for my trophy collection, I will probably still get the game but it’s a shame that the game developers will be toning down the platinum difficulty unless the platinum will still somehow be hard even with the update.

Edited by BrettyBoy
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BrettyBoy said:

Since I have seen others mention their views, I will mention mine now so here goes.

I was planning to get this game at some point so I can obtain another hard platinum for my trophy collection, I will probably still get the game but it’s a shame that the game developers will be toning down the platinum difficulty unless the platinum will still somehow be hard even with the update.

Well, this is the thing. How do we know if certain trophies are even obtainable on an easier difficulty? Some games outright disable trophies on easier modes.

People are getting all excited when we don't have the full facts.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:36 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m seeing a lot of this idea around Sifu in particular - the idea that the negative reviews regarding difficulty are just pique on the reviewer’s parts. 
That they are just salty because they lack skill… but to be honest, I find those arguments to ring pretty hollow.

I've been seeing this a lot with Sifu in particular and I find it rather interesting. To me, the bigger point isn't what X or Y said but what the general impression is. In this case, Metacritic lists Sifu at 80 on PlayStation 5 for critics and 81 for user. Like I can safely ignore PS4 because it's only four reviews, with PC being at 78 (user is lower at 73), though it just seems so odd that the two seem to be in agreement, yet there is this hostility towards certain reviews. 

On 2/12/2022 at 3:36 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Gaming journalists are not supposed to represent the best game players - they are meant to speak for the majority… and the fact is, the majority do not see prohibitive difficulty as a virtue in and of itself.  

Not to mention, does anyone really want to read a review from the perspective of someone much better? This makes sense in certain genres, such as fighting games where the deep meta game for skilled/pro level players is completely different from what a casual player thinks, but to me it just seems... off. 

Like, for reference, I gave Sifu a 7.5 and am listed as being first to beat it <25 and platinum (though I know at least one person beat me). I mostly gave that score because of how it approached difficulty, over the difficulty itself. By this I mean the sharp learning curve that starts with Sean, without much in-game content to learn it without recognizing your mistake or asking others. This was furthered by a sizable amount of people sending me messages asking for him/advice, to even the trophies themselves (Beating stage one is at 82.4 percent and beating stage two is at 33.5 percent). I mean, I know very well I can beat stage two, without dying, by just holding down L1, learning the timing on three moves (that follow a strict pattern) and some kind of attack. But instead of phasing it like "it's super easy when you learn how to play," it's phrases as a disconnect in the years system (if you're not good you could easily go from 20 to 50 on the first level, whereas if you're good, even with a couple deaths you probably won't surpass 30 beating the game).

And, since I am adding my two cents on the matter anyway, I think more accessibility is a good thing. While I've previously said and stand by my belief some level of difficulty is needed to prevent this game from losing all its charm, we really need to see what it actually means first. I don't think giving players twice as much life will suddenly fix things, at most it will make level four the new wall, so it needs to do something about the actual mechanics to really make things more accessible, unless it's made easier to the point where it doesn't matter (like giving you all 50 years regardless of how you die). But, regardless, I don't mind if it devalues the trophy. 

Edited by Admiralvic
Clarification

10 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Well, this is the thing. How do we know if certain trophies are even obtainable on an easier difficulty? Some games outright disable trophies on easier modes.

People are getting all excited when we don't have the full facts.

I’m hoping trophies will be disabled on easy difficulty setting to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theSpirae said:

Why? I'm really curious. After reading all four pages here I haven't seen a single decent argument not to include the easy mode or to lock out people from trophies playing the game on easy. I really don't understand how including the easy mode takes anything away from your enjoyment of the game. It's not like the game is at 0.1%, it's already sitting at 11%, it's not a rare trophy to boost your e-peen.

If devs want, they can split some trophies that can be obtained only on Hard difficulty. Many games favour this approach.

Admitally, if there is an easier way to obtain the platinum, I wouldn’t be able to resist chasing it the easier way and if by ‘splitting’ you mean DLC trophies for hard mode, then I’m on board with that and as for the ‘e-peen’, I like to boost my ‘e-peen’.

This is just my opinion though and everyone else is free to have their own opinions about all this too which is fine by me, regardless of wether they agree with all this or not.

Edited by BrettyBoy

4 minutes ago, BrettyBoy said:

Admitally, if there is an easier way to obtain the platinum, I wouldn’t be able to resist chasing it the easier way and if by ‘splitting’ you mean DLC trophies for hard mode, then I’m on board with that and as for the ‘e-peen’, I like to boost my ‘e-peen’.

This is just my opinion though and everyone else is free to have their own opinions about all this too which is fine by me, regardless of wether they agree with all this or not.

Well, that's on you then.

No harm in getting the platinum on easy mode then playing again on the normal and hard difficulty if you really like the game. That way you won't have the stress of obtaining trophies in the back of your mind and can just concentrate on playing the game and having fun.

I did this exact same thing for Doom Eternal. First playthrough I found the game too hard so played on easy, got the plat then went back and played it on Ultra-Violence and then on Nightmare. It's one of my favourite games.

22 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Well, that's on you then.

No harm in getting the platinum on easy mode then playing again on the normal and hard difficulty if you really like the game. That way you won't have the stress of obtaining trophies in the back of your mind and can just concentrate on playing the game and having fun.

I did this exact same thing for Doom Eternal. First playthrough I found the game too hard so played on easy, got the plat then went back and played it on Ultra-Violence and then on Nightmare. It's one of my favourite games.

I was planning on obtaining the in-game 100% on Mafia 1 to be honest, even after obtaining the platinum but I wanted to make money in real life so I sold the game.

28 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

I didn't mean DLC, I meant limiting certain trophies to be obtainable only on Hard difficulty, for example, "Complete all 17 levels on Apocalyptic difficulty." etc.

That would be good.