kevao97

Do you report people who send "hate messages" in online games?

58 posts in this topic

Due to my bad performance in the last of us's factions mode, I've been receiving numerous hate messages (😹) that are very funny in my opinion. I'd like to reply and join in the fun like old times, but I won't risk my account as Sony is a pussy now. on steam you can offend at will and there is no risk of banning or restriction. so i was thinking i could report it and get some account suspension or even permaban, but i'm not a resentful one, i don't see any reason to end a person's account because of an unassuming online swearing. What about you, report people for "toxic behavior"?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Said it yourself, sony is a pussy, and whilst sending hate messages out of game is pretty pathetic, reporting is even more so. imo no matter how toxic somebody is, let them vent, even if they play like a cripple and clearly have no place sending hate, you can't get more toxic than reporting somebody.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Yep, whenever the opportunity arises. It's good to show people there are consequences for acting like a total dick, and it takes almost no effort on my part to report someone, so I will.

you better not mess with this guy.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember ever receiving a hateful message so this isn't something I've had to consider before. But, I imagine I would report them. It would bring me some minor satisfaction knowing was a chance of the sender running into trouble with their account. I don't have much patience or sympathy for people who are unpleasant to others for any reason, let alone a reason as silly as video games.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richxrdgriffin said:

I can't remember ever receiving a hateful message so this isn't something I've had to consider before. But, I imagine I would report them. It would bring me some minor satisfaction knowing was a chance of the sender running into trouble with their account. I don't have much patience or sympathy for people who are unpleasant to others for any reason, let alone a reason as silly as video games.

Sony is very strict, so yes, a simple report can lead to a suspension.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to get a bunch of hate mail (specifically in DBD) and only really reported the really bad stuff. Telling me, "Fuck you for leaving me to die." is just funny because of the saltiness. I'd typically just leave, block, and that'd be the end of it. Telling me to go kyo? Nah, you can't be going around telling people that. I hope they got what they deserved.

 

Unrelated to DBD, some individuals continuously kept adding me to messages and creating new accounts just to harass me so now I only accept messages from friends. Best decision I ever made.

 

People who continuously harass someone over online MP like that, no cap, need to get a life. Lol.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Grammar
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just call them a c**t and then block them. For once you get the final word against an absolute and unnecessary arsehead.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dunno i guess it depends on the situation. if they were making death threats against me or my family. yea probably. but if it was something like "you fu%$#ing suck you piece of sh%$. id just shrug it off.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I hadn't turned off messages from strangers ages ago, then yes, I absolutely would. Multiplayer gaming communities are toxic as fuck because this sort of behavior is allowed to run rampant. Gotta learn that actions have consequences.

 

8 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Just call them a c**t and then block them. For once you get the final word against an absolute and unnecessary arsehead.  

 

Not a good idea as they could report you and get you banned. Sony's moderation is pretty bullshit. Back when I was playing Knockout City (an extremely sweaty game) I got mass reported and my bio was changed to [moderated] despite having nothing offensive in it. So it seems like there's some degree of auto-moderation where you can get in trouble without a person ever even being involved.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely, this is the way to keep community clean. However, I set my message to friends only these days.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I got a few such messages sent my way back when I was doing the MP on Factions for the PS3 and I expect the same when I get around to the PS4 trophies over the next few weeks. It's easiest for me just to block them as most of the time they're just drooling idiots not worth devoting another second of your time to.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Yeah I got a few such messages sent my way back when I was doing the MP on Factions for the PS3 and I expect the same when I get around to the PS4 trophies over the next few weeks. It's easiest for me just to block them as most of the time they're just drooling idiots not worth devoting another second of your time to.

the last of us community takes a game that has been lost very seriously, they play with impetus and don't forgive beginners.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

the last of us community takes a game that has been lost very seriously, they play with impetus and don't forgive beginners.

 

If possible I do my best to annoy them further in the next game by staying glued to their side and getting in their way. Fuck 'em.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

 

If possible I do my best to annoy them further in the next game by staying glued to their side and getting in their way. Fuck 'em.

hahahahah the only thing you need to worry about is getting the daily amount of supplies, otherwise, fuck if you win or lose.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year when I was wrapping up Red Dead Redemption 1 we had someone purposely send Nazi propaganda messages to one of our boosting groups. 
 

One guy got pissed off and made his own boosting group, which I joined because I wanted nothing to do with that other moron. 
 

In explaining this douchebag to another boosting group, this particular person was privately lurking under the radar. He reported me to Sony, my messages towards him were deleted, and I got a nice little warning regarding my behavior. 
 

I’m the one that got punished, whereas the douchebag who caused a scene in the first place mostly seemed to get off scot free. He also had multiple accounts under a series of slightly different names to purposely troll and harass fellow boosters who were just looking to get their trophies. 
 

He said boosting was immoral and considered cheating, on a game that’s over a decade old. We told him to piss off, and that’s when we started getting Nazi propaganda messages. 
 

I blocked him and his other accounts automatically. After I moved on from Red Dead Redemption, I never heard from him again.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Explaining a troll...
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Last year when I was wrapping up Red Dead Redemption 1 we had someone purposely send Nazi propaganda messages to one of our boosting groups. 
 

One guy got pissed off and made his own boosting group, which I joined because I wanted nothing to do with that other moron. 
 

In explaining this douchebag to another boosting group, this particular person was privately lurking under the radar. He reported me to Sony, my messages towards him were deleted, and I got a nice little warning regarding my behavior. 
 

I’m the one that got punished, whereas the douchebag who caused a scene in the first place mostly seemed to get off scot free. He also had multiple accounts under a series of slightly different names to purposely troll and harass fellow boosters who were just looking to get their trophies. 
 

He said boosting was immoral and considered cheating, on a game that’s over a decade old. We told him to piss off, and that’s when we started getting Nazi propaganda messages. 
 

I blocked him and his other accounts automatically. After I moved on from Red Dead Redemption, I never heard from him again.

lmao holy shit. man, i'm sorry for this unusual situation but this story was too funny. It's absurd to think that someone managed to get involved in such a mess involving Nazism because of a boosting session, and somehow you still got wrongly punished. this just demonstrates Sony's incompetence, that's why I don't like to report anyone, the actions are robotic. this guy would possibly have his console banned altogether if Sony's security service wasn't shit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

lmao holy shit. man, i'm sorry for this unusual situation but this story was too funny. It's absurd to think that someone managed to get involved in such a mess involving Nazism because of a boosting session, and somehow you still got wrongly punished. this just demonstrates Sony's incompetence, that's why I don't like to report anyone, the actions are robotic. this guy would possibly have his console banned altogether if Sony's security service wasn't shit.


You can get suspended or banned by Sony just for saying “Jew”. 
 

Happened to this guy:

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:


You can get suspended or banned by Sony just for saying “Jew”. 
 

Happened to this guy:

 

 

as if the only use of that word is pejorative wtf. insane.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

You can get suspended or banned by Sony just for saying “Jew”. 
 

Happened to this guy:

 

I'm sure it did. Did you take a look at the rest of this guy's channel?

 

He's a right-wing nutjob, with all the usual hateful opinions and conspiracy theories under his belt. He posts on GTAforums (while pretending to be a muslim from Afghanistan) and is highly focused on the fact that jew is censored in GTA while other religions are not, and even admits to using racial slurs because they're "cool" and a way of showing his patriotism (?). I even found a video of him saying there's a massive satanic movement going on in the US and Europe, spearheaded by the "satan-worshipping jews".

 

I didn't even need to find all that, the claim is just obviously bullshit at face value.

Edited by Shadiochao
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

 

I'm sure it did. Did you take a look at the rest of this guy's channel?

 

He's a right-wing nutjob, with all the usual hateful opinions and conspiracy theories under his belt. He posts on GTAforums (while pretending to be a muslim from Afganistan) and is highly focused on the fact that jew is censored in GTA while other relgions are not, and even admits to using racial slurs because they're "cool" and a way of showing his patriotism (?). I even found a video of him saying there's a massive satanic movement going on in the US and Europe, spearheaded by the "satan-worshipping jews".

 

I didn't even need to find all that, the claim is just obviously bullshit at face value.

 

I've known him for quite a while. Interacted with him a few times, but never questioned his "Confederate" status, though I found out he was an incel. He eventually told me to piss off, but I just wanted to post that video to show that Sony can ban you for a great many things.

 

Unfortunately here in the United States we still have a large contingency of assholes who are gun toting extreme right wing. I lived in the state of California for a time and I saw these people all the time, with most of them living in small towns or out in the countryside. Meanwhile, in places like San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Los Angeles, you got a contingency of extreme left wingers, all hailing the #BlackLivesMatter movement, full transgender acceptance, the Anita Sarkeesian individuals who will shut down anybody with an opposing view.

 

In the end, I see no side really being better, they're both full of shit. As a centralist and a classic Liberal type of person, I've had both sides turn me down, because reasons. That's probably why Sony has gotten a lot more strict in recent times regarding what kinds of messages are being typed on PSN. Voice chat is now being monitored, whereas in the past you could go into a lot of voice chat sessions and say words like "faggot", "Jew", "retard", etc etc with no repercussions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

 

I'm sure it did. Did you take a look at the rest of this guy's channel?

 

He's a right-wing nutjob, with all the usual hateful opinions and conspiracy theories under his belt. He posts on GTAforums (while pretending to be a muslim from Afganistan) and is highly focused on the fact that jew is censored in GTA while other relgions are not, and even admits to using racial slurs because they're "cool" and a way of showing his patriotism (?). I even found a video of him saying there's a massive satanic movement going on in the US and Europe, spearheaded by the "satan-worshipping jews".

 

I didn't even need to find all that, the claim is just obviously bullshit at face value.

I just googled his name and saw the nonsense.

doesn't change the fact that getting suspended for saying "jew" is a bit extreme.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kevao97 said:

I just googled his name and saw the nonsense.

doesn't change the fact that getting suspended for saying "jew" is a bit extreme.

 

The point was I don't believe he really did get suspended just for saying jew. He clearly has a big problem with jewish people, so I'm certain he's not giving us the full picture

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

 

I've known him for quite a while. Interacted with him a few times, but never questioned his "Confederate" status, though I found out he was an incel. He eventually told me to piss off, but I just wanted to post that video to show that Sony can ban you for a great many things.

 

Unfortunately here in the United States we still have a large contingency of assholes who are gun toting extreme right wing. I lived in the state of California for a time and I saw these people all the time, with most of them living in small towns or out in the countryside. Meanwhile, in places like San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Los Angeles, you got a contingency of extreme left wingers, all hailing the #BlackLivesMatter movement, full transgender acceptance, the Anita Sarkeesian individuals who will shut down anybody with an opposing view.

 

In the end, I see no side really being better, they're both full of shit. As a centralist and a classic Liberal type of person, I've had both sides turn me down, because reasons. That's probably why Sony has gotten a lot more strict in recent times regarding what kinds of messages are being typed on PSN. Voice chat is now being monitored, whereas in the past you could go into a lot of voice chat sessions and say words like "faggot", "Jew", "retard", etc etc with no repercussions.

cDuFTCN_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

this explains why someone who is not extreme left is seen as a "Right wing".

Just now, Shadiochao said:

 

The point was I don't believe he really did get suspended just for saying jew. He clearly has a big problem with jewish people, so I'm certain he's not giving us the full picture

understand. you're right. he is not reliable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not really bother reporting people for hate messages, I myself have written some really nasty ones in my younger days, Hell I still do on pc sometimes during Dota 2 games as you can't play an hour of that game without being called a slur of some sorts by your mostly russian teammates, so you just respond in kind while you are dead anyway to pass the time. I do not go out of my way to send hate messages on psn, takes way too much time, and I am generally far more chill on console so I do not really see a reason to either. People sending hate on psn is something I have rarely ever seen, made it through the entirety of TLOU multiplayer without getting a single one, made it through several others too, but then again I avoid the most toxic cesspool genres like fighting games and generic kiddie crap shooters like Battlefield or CoD anyway so that is probably why. Generally for me to actually report it would have to be more than just a few insults against race, country, family or a classic kill yourself rants, I report if people are properly griefing ingame.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.