Do you report people who send "hate messages" in online games?

Nah.  I'm with you and laugh at any message like that.  Even if it's racist or threatening or whatever.  Sticks and stones.  My messages from unknowns are turned off due to the spammers on PSN, but I may turn it back on in the hopes I can get one too :lol: I do think it's bullshit though how someone can write stuff like that, and if you answer the same way, you will be in trouble if they report you.  Context should matter. 

I'm only reporting for criminal activity or blatantly cheating god mode kind of shit.  For a mean message....If someone got on my nerves that much, i'd just block them.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

If I hadn't turned off messages from strangers ages ago, then yes, I absolutely would. Multiplayer gaming communities are toxic as fuck because this sort of behavior is allowed to run rampant. Gotta learn that actions have consequences.

Not a good idea as they could report you and get you banned. Sony's moderation is pretty bullshit. Back when I was playing Knockout City (an extremely sweaty game) I got mass reported and my bio was changed to [moderated] despite having nothing offensive in it. So it seems like there's some degree of auto-moderation where you can get in trouble without a person ever even being involved.

Good point lol. I remember when I eventually bought a PS3 and was trying to talk to some guys in a game. It was weird coming from the 360 party chat, to PS3 text chat, but even weirder was the fact it censored some words, like a location in Ireland called Monaghan. It censored that lol. 

On 2/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, kevao97 said:

Due to my bad performance in the last of us's factions mode, I've been receiving numerous hate messages (?) that are very funny in my opinion. I'd like to reply and join in the fun like old times, but I won't risk my account as Sony is a pussy now. on steam you can offend at will and there is no risk of banning or restriction. so i was thinking i could report it and get some account suspension or even permaban, but i'm not a resentful one, i don't see any reason to end a person's account because of an unassuming online swearing. What about you, report people for "toxic behavior"?

Ahh the beautiful community of online gaming. A place where good players and bad players alike receive hate mail for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Believe me, I completely 100% understand where you are coming from here as I have played the factions mode in TLOU on and off since its release in 2013 on the PS3 - 8 years! (just retired from the game altogether at the beginning of this year). I've played this game in public lobbies as well as competitively (ladder style competitions with restricted rules and such to create an even playing field). No matter how I was playing or who I was playing with, there was always salt and toxicity. I've been around this community for a long time and I've seen just about everything. It's quite toxic but that's what happens when a game gets old and the player base begins to diminish. I wish I could say that I'll miss the factions community, alas I cannot. 

I wish I could show you all the hate mail I've garnered over the years... it's quite the collection spanning hundreds upon hundreds of messages. Still, I don't really see any reason for reporting these types of messages even if there's a solid chance they'll get reprimanded. I guess part of my reasoning for this is that it really doesn't bother me all that much. Besides, I've sent my fair share of messages containing "choice words". No harm no foul unless boundaries are overstepped (even then, they are still just messages at the end of the day). As mentioned in above posts, if you prefer not receiving these types of messages, then changing your settings so only friends can send you messages is the perfect solution. Only reason I myself haven't changed my privacy settings is because people I'm trying to boost with get annoyed when they can't send me messages :) 

22 minutes ago, z99f said:

Ahh the beautiful community of online gaming. A place where good players and bad players alike receive hate mail for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Believe me, I completely 100% understand where you are coming from here as I have played the factions mode in TLOU on and off since its release in 2013 on the PS3 - 8 years! (just retired from the game altogether at the beginning of this year). I've played this game in public lobbies as well as competitively (ladder style competitions with restricted rules and such to create an even playing field). No matter how I was playing or who I was playing with, there was always salt and toxicity. I've been around this community for a long time and I've seen just about everything. It's quite toxic but that's what happens when a game gets old and the player base begins to diminish. I wish I could say that I'll miss the factions community, alas I cannot. 

I wish I could show you all the hate mail I've garnered over the years... it's quite the collection spanning hundreds upon hundreds of messages. Still, I don't really see any reason for reporting these types of messages even if there's a solid chance they'll get reprimanded. I guess part of my reasoning for this is that it really doesn't bother me all that much. Besides, I've sent my fair share of messages containing "choice words". No harm no foul unless boundaries are overstepped (even then, they are still just messages at the end of the day). As mentioned in above posts, if you prefer not receiving these types of messages, then changing your settings so only friends can send you messages is the perfect solution. Only reason I myself haven't changed my privacy settings is because people I'm trying to boost with get annoyed when they can't send me messages :) 

How interesting that you are a veteran! I must admit that once you master its mechanics and strategies, factions can be incredibly fun. this is an excellent game, i played it for awhile in the ps3 days but i never got to be a god or anything like that. the big problem is people who take online games too seriously to the point of affecting their lives. i remember gta online, i'm a veteran who played for 2-3k hours and at the time i cared VERY much about performance in races and deathmatches, like having a nervous breakdown because of 1 point of K/D ratio lost, as well as wins and losses. I cared about statistics and numbers. but the factions mode is quite simple, there is only the player's level, there are no numbers indicating kills, or wins, or whatever. I don't understand the fixation on winning a match or carrying out an execution or interrogation at all costs. That said, I hope the new factions mode to come will be great and more varied!

about boosting and message privacy, my inbox and friend requests are opened for the same reason!

the messages I received were something like "you bastard, useless, why do you still play you should give up playing" there is also the inherent rivalry between Argentines and Brazilians, so when Argentines played with me they didn't miss the opportunity to belittle me. hilarious.

Nah. The only think I've done is block serial-griefers or lagswitchers. I don't play MP that often anyway. There was once a message group with some nutjob that went so far and above ToS that it was too funny to risk reporting. These were all from competitive games, which I know brings the worst in people (even I resorted to DCing in a series of bad games and got temp-banned). Ultimately I think that some heat is to be expected if you're playing for high ranks, so it's petty going around reporting every little thing, but also at the end of the day it's just a game so taking anger out on it just because you're having matches not going your way is not very adult-like. No one's gonna care about your K/D anyway

Edited by mecharobot

21 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Messages? I don't really get any since the 360 days. But Cheaters get insta report however they are %100 PC players on cross platform with Sony/MS, Their days are numbered though.

If it really bothers you get their account hacked

I advise NOT doing this. I learned the hard way.

Best thing you can do is ignore them and move on. Multiplayer games have always attracted griefers, rage quitters and cheaters. I don't play multiplayer on the PC for a good reason, unless the rules are more strictly enforced but even then I don't like multiplayer that much anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I advise NOT doing this. I learned the hard way.

Best thing you can do is ignore them and move on. Multiplayer games have always attracted griefers, rage quitters and cheaters. I don't play multiplayer on the PC for a good reason, unless the rules are more strictly enforced but even then I don't like multiplayer that much anyway.

AJ_Radio, The voice of reason?

I play craploads of multi player and have for a long time. It's not a safe place for anybody. And in all honestly I've only ruined 2 people, Both had de-ranked me in 2 different COD games. For the most part I will just ignore people or become their friends.

@kevao97 It Must be bothering you to post here, Still maybe don't o to the extremes that I have unless you are being directly affected.

22 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

AJ_Radio, The voice of reason?

I play craploads of multi player and have for a long time. It's not a safe place for anybody. And in all honestly I've only ruined 2 people, Both had de-ranked me in 2 different COD games. For the most part I will just ignore people or become their friends.

I don't like multiplayer in most games. This includes League of Legends and DOTA 2, which are highly irrelevant nowadays because the Zoomer generation plays Overwatch and Fortnite instead. But you get the point. Terrible online communities in both League and DOTA, to the point where I just said "fuck it, I'm not wasting my time with these morons".

Also had people from World of Warcraft come after me in the past for certain political opinions, and yadda yadda yadda. I never said any online game was ever safe. Anyone that says otherwise is wearing rose tinted goggles and is living in blind nostalgia.

21 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't like multiplayer in most games. This includes League of Legends and DOTA 2, which are highly irrelevant nowadays because the Zoomer generation plays Overwatch and Fortnite instead. But you get the point. Terrible online communities in both League and DOTA, to the point where I just said "fuck it, I'm not wasting my time with these morons".

Also had people from World of Warcraft come after me in the past for certain political opinions, and yadda yadda yadda. I never said any online game was ever safe. Anyone that says otherwise is wearing rose tinted goggles and is living in blind nostalgia.

LoL is a diabolical game designed for people to fight each other. the mechanics of this game are so socially evil that players are frustrated even when they win matches, as if in pursuit of a physically unattainable performance. In short, this game is a genius at keeping people trapped and addicted, with mechanics tailored to that. I had friends who stopped talking to each other because of this game.

Edit: oh, and this game is still surprisingly big to this day (at least in Brazil). its playerbase is pretty solid even with other new games. not a dead game.

Edited by kevao97

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I think FF14 online was by far my worse experience, I mean these people can be beyond logic and reason. But I did have some great games as well so it's maybe a matter of luck. 

It's difficult when none of your actual friends play games ?

Anyway, we should never feel belittled or hopeless with words from people hiding behind the screen. We all need to start somewhere

• Like 1

I never reported back people for hate messages, some of them are even funny. If I got hate messages in a game like For Honor for instance, means I played good and I consider it praise xD 

I never reply either because anything you reply to a hate message can and will be used against you. Never trust Playstation Report rules.

I do save some hate messages though, they make me laugh. I got called an annoying donkey once for spamming a kick in Street Fighter 5. Hey, it's not a fireball, who asked you to jump into my attack without thinking?

58 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

LoL is a diabolical game designed for people to fight each other. the mechanics of this game are so socially evil that players are frustrated even when they win matches, as if in pursuit of a physically unattainable performance. In short, this game is a genius at keeping people trapped and addicted, with mechanics tailored to that. I had friends who stopped talking to each other because of this game.

Edit: oh, and this game is still surprisingly big to this day (at least in Brazil). its playerbase is pretty solid even with other new games. not a dead game.

Sorry, I can't help but mega agree with this post ? League of Legends is one of the weirdest games out there, I've never seen a more poisonous and vile fanbase for a game. I honestly believe LoL is a well made game and the devs actually care about it (given how many skins, discounts, fixes and whatnot are there). Legit, it plays as intended and you don't need 500IQ like in DOTA.

But the fanbase.....oh the fanbase!

My experience with League of Legends:

• I play the "tutorial" or whatever that was and a bot match. I liked how Volibear controlled.
  • Start my very first match as Volibear. Cool bear and whatnot.
  • Instantly get a message from teammate - F*** you you piece of (insert all of the beautiful words here) I WANTED TO PLAY VOLI REEEE
  • Wtf ensured. Next match I picked Poppy, cause well...cutie pie with a hammer. What the hell did I know
  • Next match, hate message from a teammate for not going bot (fuck was a bot ? I was a human) AND from an enemy for using a cheap character.
  • We win the match, 2 hate mails from teammates cause I killed more than them.

So yeah xD even if you win, you lose in LoL. After 1 month I dropped the game because no matter what I kept getting hatemails and reports from everyone. Never play that game. Also game is still mega popular due to Arcane. Arcane is a very good show, I recommend it. 

Sorry, went off a tangent here, but I saw the LoL comment and couldn't help myself hahah.

• Like 1

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

I think FF14 online was by far my worse experience, I mean these people can be beyond logic and reason. But I did have some great games as well so it's maybe a matter of luck. 

It's difficult when none of your actual friends play games 1f600.png

Anyway, we should never feel belittled or hopeless with words from people hiding behind the screen. We all need to start somewhere

A couple of my real life friends still play video games, but not much. A number of them have gone and started families. Since they had a wife with one or two kids, they don't have the time to game anymore. They don't have time for practically anything, and I basically haven't really contacted them regularly for years now.

Life moves on, friends drop off for good and you pick up new buddies in the process. Basically my own life in a nutshell.

I'm mostly immune to trolls. For the most part. Keyboard warriors have existed since the dawn of personal computers. The internet was always an echo chamber, but the high barrier of entry in the old days when you were stuck with old dial-up with Netscape/AOL during the 'Wild West' era filtered a lot of the morons. It was nice while it lasted.

27 minutes ago, Copanele said:

I never reported back people for hate messages, some of them are even funny. If I got hate messages in a game like For Honor for instance, means I played good and I consider it praise xD 

I never reply either because anything you reply to a hate message can and will be used against you. Never trust Playstation Report rules.

I do save some hate messages though, they make me laugh. I got called an annoying donkey once for spamming a kick in Street Fighter 5. Hey, it's not a fireball, who asked you to jump into my attack without thinking?

Sorry, I can't help but mega agree with this post 1f602.png League of Legends is one of the weirdest games out there, I've never seen a more poisonous and vile fanbase for a game. I honestly believe LoL is a well made game and the devs actually care about it (given how many skins, discounts, fixes and whatnot are there). Legit, it plays as intended and you don't need 500IQ like in DOTA.

But the fanbase.....oh the fanbase!

My experience with League of Legends:

• I play the "tutorial" or whatever that was and a bot match. I liked how Volibear controlled.
  • Start my very first match as Volibear. Cool bear and whatnot.
  • Instantly get a message from teammate - F*** you you piece of (insert all of the beautiful words here) I WANTED TO PLAY VOLI REEEE
  • Wtf ensured. Next match I picked Poppy, cause well...cutie pie with a hammer. What the hell did I know
  • Next match, hate message from a teammate for not going bot (fuck was a bot ? I was a human) AND from an enemy for using a cheap character.
  • We win the match, 2 hate mails from teammates cause I killed more than them.

So yeah xD even if you win, you lose in LoL. After 1 month I dropped the game because no matter what I kept getting hatemails and reports from everyone. Never play that game. Also game is still mega popular due to Arcane. Arcane is a very good show, I recommend it. 

Sorry, went off a tangent here, but I saw the LoL comment and couldn't help myself hahah.

i have 2 real life friends who never spoke again after a big disagreement over a match. while it's hilarious, it's just pathetic/scary what this game evokes in people. lol

You need to be on my friends list to message me now, and I appear offline at all times, so I barely remember the last time I got a random message...

...but yes, I did back then, and would now, without a shred of shame or a second thought.

I may be thick skinned, but lots of people aren't and there is no reason for games to be a place people need to put up with or be exposed to hateful shite.

Gaming should be a welcoming place for everyone.

It's only a game.

Get your bad mood out of my house, and keep it in your own, thank you very much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Copanele said:

That same bastard that was trolling a bunch of boosting session groups for Red Dead Redemption 1 was also trying to boost other games, using his own group and Discord. He was like "If you are boosting you are cheating". I called him out because he was sending a bunch of Nazi propaganda messages, yet I'M THE ONE that got a warning from Sony.

They punished the wrong person, so to speak.

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

That same bastard that was trolling a bunch of boosting session groups for Red Dead Redemption 1 was also trying to boost other games, using his own group and Discord. He was like "If you are boosting you are cheating". I called him out because he was sending a bunch of Nazi propaganda messages, yet I'M THE ONE that got a warning from Sony.

They punished the wrong person, so to speak.

That's how they get you man xD never negotiate with terrorists, just report! 

• 1 month later...
On 12.2.2022 at 10:24 PM, kevao97 said:

Due to my bad performance in the last of us's factions mode, I've been receiving numerous hate messages (1f639.png) that are very funny in my opinion. I'd like to reply and join in the fun like old times, but I won't risk my account as Sony is a pussy now. on steam you can offend at will and there is no risk of banning or restriction. so i was thinking i could report it and get some account suspension or even permaban, but i'm not a resentful one, i don't see any reason to end a person's account because of an unassuming online swearing. What about you, report people for "toxic behavior"?

I definetily do or better said did in my early gaming career on the ps3, when i did not know about privacy settings.

I had all kinds of agressive/insultive behaviour be it racist phrases or anti-semetic phrases,as well as the threat of violence.

Just because either

A. I beat someone in a game and their pride cant take it

B. Or because I dont want to waste my time with random people who re just looking for free carry

thats why i change my settings to private.As I dont want my message box be flooded by such things.

There was even one guy, I believe I got him banned or suspended because of repeated offence.

I strongly everyone who experiences this should by all means report that person.

Dont leave room for racists/anti-semetics etc.

In extreme cases legal action can be taken so dont put it off as nothing is gonna happen.