Old multiplayer games that are still somewhat active

HandsUp1992

Just returned to COD: WAW multiplayer, and had a blast on one of the DLC zombies maps after finally purchasing the DLC. Surprisingly people still play this, and it appears they aren't always trophy hunters. This was my go-to multiplayer at the end of 2009, just before I got MW2... within a few years hackers ruined the online, even later search and destroy and ground war games were impossible to find (my two favourite modes). With all the games that have had their online servers pulled over the years, are there still any that have survived, and are in a playable state?

Edited by HandsUp1992

How old is “old” and how active is “still somewhat active”?

I think any PS3 not already shut down can be as active as you want when you organize a session. 

Does Helldivers count as old enough or active enough? Assassins Creed Revelations and III are also game that always have people playing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think any PS3 not already shut down can be as active as you want when you organize a session. 

Does Helldivers count as old enough or active enough? Assassins Creed Revelations and III are also game that always have people playing. 

Wouldn't count Helldivers as it's cross-play with PS4 and Vita...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I imagine most people will agree that PS3 games are old, but I'd rather not have a debate about what "old" is. When I was 10 I thought 18 was old, but let's not go down that street.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jts5009 said:

I haven't had any issues finding games in the old Call of Duty or Battlefield games.  Recently, I've been playing Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 1 on the PS3, and it's still pretty well populated online.

I do wonder about the original COD 4. I don't see why anyone would still be playing that with the Remastered Version. Also, Ghosts on the PS3.

I’m afraid of people who are hackers or modders automatically unlocking trophies for you the moment you step in an online match for an old game.

Call of Duty: World at War and Grand Theft Auto V (now shut down on the PS3) were the worst culprits in regards to online. I heard people also running into hackers for both Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2, though I can’t confirm this. 

You’re taking a risk with some old PS3 games. Far Cry 2 seems safe, as the bugs and glitches actually help you earn some trophies faster.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HandsUp1992 said:

I imagine most people will agree that PS3 games are old, but I'd rather not have a debate about what "old" is. When I was 10 I thought 18 was old, but let's not go down that street.

You posted in PS3, so that’s covered, but I was asking for clarity on things. I guess we all just have to assume things. 

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m afraid of people who are hackers or modders automatically unlocking trophies for you the moment you step in an online match for an old game.

Call of Duty: World at War and Grand Theft Auto V (now shut down on the PS3) were the worst culprits in regards to online. I heard people also running into hackers for both Black Ops 1 and Black Ops 2, though I can’t confirm this. 

You’re taking a risk with some old PS3 games. Far Cry 2 seems safe, as the bugs and glitches actually help you earn some trophies faster.

You listed the only games that others can unlock your trophies on and already covered one was shut down. There is no logical reason to be fearful of being affected by others in any game on PS3 except CoD World at War. There is no risk with any other PS3 games.

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

You listed the only games that others can unlock your trophies on and already covered one was shut down. There is no logical reason to be fearful of being affected by others in any game on PS3 except CoD World at War. There is no risk with any other PS3 games.

Please re-read what I’m saying here before you make your points. 

The PS3 is an old system and no game with online is safe from the inevitable shutdown. Call of Duty World at War was safe, but that was back when the game was new and relevant. I hear it’s when people play a public lobby (that isn’t DLC), when you run the risk of meeting hackers.

Hackers can show up in any active online game. I played Red Dead Redemption online (original, not the sequel) for hundreds of hours and for a while, some lobbies were dominated by hackers. They didn’t outright hand you trophies, but you weren’t given a level playing field. 

The OP did mention games in a playable state, so I responded accordingly with CoD WaW being the biggest example of a game where hackers hand you trophies, often unexpectedly. 

Most PS3 games at this point have dead online. The servers are still up but hardly anybody plays them. So you have to boost a lot of games, and it’s best to know which ones are safe from hackers. Or at least, safe from trophies just popping out of nowhere.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Good to hear about Far Cry 2, would like to get that done over the summer.

14 minutes ago, Mertkaykay said:

I recently got all the multiplayer trophies for Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 and that was really busy! Not just with trophy hunters too, there were genuinely people playing it for PvP and general busywork. The community was really chill and they were super nice. 

Beyond that, I finally finished the PS3 stack for GTA V in 2019 and that was super busy, lots of people around - which is why it was such a shame that the servers went down I guess, it seemed like so many people still played it. 

Red Dead is a good one, I 100%'d that early last year, and thinking back it might be one of the most active PS3 multiplayers, especially with GTA V and Max Payne 3 being shut down.

• Like 1

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is still alive and kicking. However, the servers have been poor for years. Even when PS3 was relevant, the servers were pretty bad with insanely long loading times and getting kicked after starting a match if your party was talking in a lobby for too long. Hoping they finally integrate the MP into PS4's Legendary Edition at some point...

• Like 3

I'm going to suggest Brink. It has online but it's Peer to Peer and you can self boost with ease by having two consoles and the game itself is very cheap as well. The game will fill your session with bots if you so desire too and those will also  count towards trophies.

Tron Evolution has a dedicated online server that's still around and you can start bot matches which count towards trophy requirements too.

• Like 2

NFS Most Wanted had plenty of people online, same with Fat Princess and Minecraft PS3 always has some people online.  PVZ Garden Warfare 1 always has people online.

Journey wasn't too bad and had a regular stream of players, the only question is whether they were near you or not in the world.  

NFS Undercover you will want to boost if going for online trophies, I don't know if so many people aren't playing it, or if its the lobby design that sucks and kicks you out half the time.  Same with NFS Hot Pursuit, if either of these servers are even open anymore.

• Like 2

Basically every battlefield and CoD title is active, excluding hardline that only have one/two servers active. MoH: Warfighter is almost dead with only one server, basically people getting kills related to trophies and people who only play that game. Dark Souls II was pretty active two years ago and you can find some pvp players on dark souls. Basically if the game is popular it'll have people playing it for fun.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 0:13 AM, Pirelli913 said:

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is still alive and kicking. However, the servers have been poor for years. Even when PS3 was relevant, the servers were pretty bad with insanely long loading times and getting kicked after starting a match if your party was talking in a lobby for too long. Hoping they finally integrate the MP into PS4's Legendary Edition at some point...

Interesting, I don't recall having any issues. I regularly played ME3 multiplayer 2012/2013. Played a game or two last year which went fine. Found a game with 4 players easily, so that's a good one!

I have been doing the Sniper Ghost Warrior games on PS3, and completed the first game and doing the second game now. The first game's multiplayer is active during 12:00 PM here in the US, just custom lobbies, and when I was boosting the online, I had some players join in, but it is mostly barren. The second game is active, but at only in curtain times in the day, but the online can be done in private matches. 

Another CryEngine game is Crysis 3. It is still active during curtain times, but not all the time, just at least the base game and I gotten like two randoms. I'm not sure bout the DLC though. 

• Like 2