Where does your PSN username come from?

Maitre

• 2 months later...

I've been playing GTA for years, even when I was way too young for it. The in-game soda brand Sprunk was always something that struck me as cool and I've loved the color scheme ever since I saw it in San Andreas. The only reason why I put the three 'i' at the end is because it was available to use on all social media platforms.

• 3 months later...

Maciek is my real name in Polish, but the original one was taken by some chinese guy (wtf) and with two ee's was already taken too so I got this one. I got it for over 6 years now. I wish I could somehow get the original name and transfer some of my trophies there although I know it probably won't happen :(

I watched a Thunderbirds episode when I was about 7 or 8 where their spacecraft was out of control and headed directly for the Sun, this sparked a lifelong interest in astronomy which lead to me being fascinated by Saturn, my favourite planet. The Far Side part comes from being curious of far away, unexplored remote places which lead me to thinking of the dark side of the Moon when I was trying to think of a username. 

So I combined Far Side and Saturn together and well...ta-da I guess. 

CediFonei is more or less the name of my online persona I associate with myself throughout the internets. But as for why I chose that name? Well... it's kinda dumb, but here I go :P

A while ago, I came up with the idea for a dumb superhero-y character that totally wasn't a self-insert of myself. Let's call him "CD" after his initials. I used this name as my username around a bunch of places, including other forums. But I felt like the name alone wasn't good enough, so I stuck an arbitrary number at the end of the name. So "CD" became "CD49".

One day, I was playing Phantasy Star Zero for my DS. I had already named two characters; one after "CD" and another after my real life name, but I wanted a third character. Naturally, instead of getting creative and making a character that I wouldn't project myself onto, I wanted to make up a third "name" for myself. So, what did I do? I attempted to take the shorthand of that old username of mine, CD49, and... write those initials into Japanese-sounding syllables...

... yes, I know. Cedi Fonei is full of syllables that don't exist in the Japanese language. I was even more naive back then than I am now.

But you know, even after I wizened up, I still liked the sound of Cedi Fonei as an "original" name, and it continued to stick with me in a positive way, even though my persona has shifted a lot over the years. So, over time, I began to adapt it into the name of my online persona in a bunch of places, until I started to use it... well, everywhere. Including my future PSN account :P

• Like 1

Online text based roleplaying, and writing just in general, has been a hobby of mine for a little over a decade now. My very first, and currently longest running character out of many was / is an elven cleric type by the name of Zylra. Since his conception in AOL chatrooms in 2004 or 2005, I've also used the name in various games, usernames, and whatnot, PSN ID included.

• Like 1