Where does your PSN username come from?

Maitre

In high school, I wrote a history paper in which I described King George III (in his later years) as a "certifiable nutjob". I was into Guitar Hero at the time and thought, Hey, that's a good name for my band in the game! I liked it so much I started using it everywhere online, but I had to change it to "certified" to get under character limits.

CertifiedNutjob has been my online handle ever since.

• Like 1

I feel like I've answered this question here before. 

But Viper is a nickname I started using when I was about 8 years old (I'm almost 34 now), as the Dodge Viper has always been my favorite car (yes the car, not the snake lol). I used it for everything from naming characters that in video games, to creating characters with my toys...it was something that always stuck. 

Fast forward to when I was 15 in 2001...creating an AIM username, I naturally wanted to use "Viper" but some wannabe poser took it. So out of minor frustration I just went with TheViper4Life....a name I was never super fond of, but it, in it of itself, stuck as well. So when it came time to make a PSN name in 2007, Viper was once again taken by someone likely not worthy of the name...so back to TheViper4Life, and that's what it's been ever since. 

If I could change it to Viper I would...but "Viper" seems to be a username taken by someone who never did anything with it. Sad. 

• Like 1

LepreCon1991- Irish, name is Conor, born in 1991

Bonus: changed my PSNProfiles handle to Stan Lee in tribute to the man's passing. It made a few silly people mad because they thought for some odd reason that it was mockery so I kept it.

• Like 2

I was a big arcade head growing up.  I would remember pouring countless hours (and dollars) into games like N.A.R.C. (“We got it!”), TMNT, Samurai Shodown 1-5 Special (I would put a quarter into SS2 just to see Rage Supers), Double Dragons, Street Fighter 1-3 (I always wondered why Ryu, Ken, Guile, & Zangief would have the same voice when throwing an opponent in the original SF2), Tekken 1-6, Mortal Kombat 1-UMK3 (you felt like you were doing ‘God’s Work’ when you would uppercut your opponent for a fatality to go into the spikes above, and then holding down on both controllers to let them fall to the ground!) and KOF 94-2002 (‘97 Orochi Saga was the only real story line out of all of them, everything else is just weird...?), as well as others.  Good times, indeed!  ☺️

Anyway, the main arcade in our community was called Starcade.  My friends and I would hear about people coming in from out of town looking for us, calling us out for matches all the time.  We were literally ‘legends’ in that arcade, back then...?

4 hours ago, Viper said:

I feel like I've answered this question here before. 

But Viper is a nickname I started using when I was about 8 years old (I'm almost 34 now), as the Dodge Viper has always been my favorite car (yes the car, not the snake lol). I used it for everything from naming characters that in video games, to creating characters with my toys...it was something that always stuck. 

Fast forward to when I was 15 in 2001...creating an AIM username, I naturally wanted to use "Viper" but some wannabe poser took it. So out of minor frustration I just went with TheViper4Life....a name I was never super fond of, but it, in it of itself, stuck as well. So when it came time to make a PSN name in 2007, Viper was once again taken by someone likely not worthy of the name...so back to TheViper4Life, and that's what it's been ever since. 

If I could change it to Viper I would...but "Viper" seems to be a username taken by someone who never did anything with it. Sad. 

I was such a sucker for the Dodge Viper myself as well, back in the day.  It still has such a dramatic and head-turning body type, to this day!  ?

• Like 1

After trying a lot of variations around Papa Lazarou (without numbers, xXx or whatnot), which weren't taken but that PSN wouldn't allow, I settled for the full name of one of my other favourite characters. That it fitted perfectly the 16 characters limit was a plus.

In hindsight, choosing as a console ID the name of an unlucky kid who keeps dying and respawning constantly, and is yet capable of basicallykeanureeving single-handedly the armies of Hell through his gaming proficiency feels quite appropriate (though I'm not pretending to even be nearing his skill level in any way!)

Also it's rather funny to hear my team mates in MP calling our opponents bastards when someone kills me.

• Like 1

Birdzilla - because on my first day of uni in 2005 in Brisbane, Australia a peacock perched in a tree above me disembarked its branch at the exact wrong moment, and flew straight into my face as I was walking by, cutting my face.  Then a random Brazilian bloke in the park ran over and said "oi mate, I saw that, it looks like you got swooped by f**king Birdzilla!". And from that point on my uni mates called me Birdzilla.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Was formerly MrUnknown625 and reason for that was cause I was a super introverted lone wolf type. New Name is Unknown v2 since its the second version of myself. Rediscover what I loved about gaming. Being more positive and such and having more fun with gaming again. I was on a path i did not like so I changed the name. Was becoming increasingly negative, hypocritical, taking part in and causing drama, focusing too much on leaderboards and a slew of other things making me miserable. Seeing the name is a great reminder to never get that way again :)

I did grow to like the nickname Unknown (although I HATED being called MrU.... another reason for the switch lol). And when you name characters in games having the name Unknown causes some strange dialog at times lol.

• Like 1

My name doesn't have a very great backstory but here it is - Growing up, everyone always called me annoying. I absolutely love tigers, and cats in general really. [Fun fact that isn't really fun - I used to use white_tiger_888 on the AS forums]. As for the numbers, I really love the number 8, but one seemed too little and using 88 would lead people to believe that I was born in 88 which I wasn't [fun fact that isn't really fun #2 - people still think I was born in 88 even with three 8's!], so I decided to go for three 8's. 

And thus my identity for PlayStation was born. People asked me when they offered the chance to change names if I would change mine because it was a bit childish, but I chose not to because, by this point, it's become a part of who I am. So there you have it :)

• 1 year later...

Back in the COD4 days, I was better than the average player (definitely not a pro either) and I just thought it was a funny name

to have at the time because most of the time I was at the top of the screen at the end of the match. 
Never meant to keep it permanently, but then trophies came along and ruined everything. I'm no where near as good

as I used to be these days between getting older and just not playing everyday, really takes away the edge.

I don't reap nearly as good as I used to, but I still get my fair share of Gun Ships in the last Modern Warfare playing

hardcore domination. But, I only play most mulitplayer games on PC these days. Nothing like KB&M. 

• Like 2