Wii U and 3DS eshops to permanently close in late March 2023

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Kinda weird they need a website for the 3ds, since that already has the activity log that tracks all games with playtimes, including longest sessions for each game

The Wii U has a similar activity log. Been a while since I've used it so I don't remember if it tracks how long you've played each game for, but it does track how many hours you put into each game on any given day or month.

The site just seems to be some kind of swan song gimmick. They know people are likely saddened by the news, and they make some weird gesture of "remember all these great games you played? Well, that's all they are now, memories!". I'm being hyperbolic obviously, but it does feel a little insulting, even if that isn't the intent of it.

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Honestly one good thing is, some great shop only titles had ports elsewhere. So some will still be available, but honestly I'm surprised the eshops lasted for this long.

Sucks about some do the classic VWare games though like Super Mario RPG and Earthbound 1&2 on WiiU. Theta re by far the most affordable ways to own and play these games.

I think the one that hurts for me the most is Xenoblade Chronicles X. Really wish they'd port it to Switch, it's pretty much only that and Paper Mario Color Splash that haven't been ported yet that I would care enough to rebuy on Switch. They remastered the first Xenoblade but X feels like it's just going to be left to die on the Wii U sadly. At least physical copies exist for it for anyone that still wants to purchase it in the future. Speaking of XCX though, I assume the free data packs will also be pulled from the eshop when it closes. Dunno how many people this is gonna be relevant to who read this, but definitely download those if you haven't already, if you have the space for 'em. The game does load significantly quicker with them installed.

Earthbound 1 and 2 are on the Switch now, through the online subscription anyway. Not sure about Super Mario RPG, I've barely checked the games on there myself, despite paying for Switch online, I mostly just use it for the cloud saves and Smash Bros.

The saddest thing about the retro games in the online subscription, is that they truly will be lost when we're in this same situation in a decade or so (maybe even less) for the Switch, when its eshop and online services are shuttered. Obviously there'll be other ways to play them, but not on the Switch any more, not without any kind of modding anyway, or on the off chance Nintendo just lets us keep 'em somehow. Really wish there was a proper virtual console on Switch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The Wii U has a similar activity log. Been a while since I've used it so I don't remember if it tracks how long you've played each game for, but it does track how many hours you put into each game on any given day or month.

The site just seems to be some kind of swan song gimmick. They know people are likely saddened by the news, and they make some weird gesture of "remember all these great games you played? Well, that's all they are now, memories!". I'm being hyperbolic obviously, but it does feel a little insulting, even if that isn't the intent of it.

I think the one that hurts for me the most is Xenoblade Chronicles X. Really wish they'd port it to Switch, it's pretty much only that and Paper Mario Color Splash that haven't been ported yet that I would care enough to rebuy on Switch. They remastered the first Xenoblade but X feels like it's just going to be left to die on the Wii U sadly. At least physical copies exist for it for anyone that still wants to purchase it in the future. Speaking of XCX though, I assume the free data packs will also be pulled from the eshop when it closes. Dunno how many people this is gonna be relevant to who read this, but definitely download those if you haven't already, if you have the space for 'em. The game does load significantly quicker with them installed.

Earthbound 1 and 2 are on the Switch now, through the online subscription anyway. Not sure about Super Mario RPG, I've barely checked the games on there myself, despite paying for Switch online, I mostly just use it for the cloud saves and Smash Bros.

The saddest thing about the retro games in the online subscription, is that they truly will be lost when we're in this same situation in a decade or so (maybe even less) for the Switch, when its eshop and online services are shuttered. Obviously there'll be other ways to play them, but not on the Switch any more, not without any kind of modding anyway, or on the off chance Nintendo just lets us keep 'em somehow. Really wish there was a proper virtual console on Switch.

I agree with that so much. One thing I miss about my old Wii U was some of the great exclusives. Another thing one site mentioned was the loss of the HD versions of Zelda Windwaker Twilight Princess, two really great Zelda Games.

• Like 3

Wii U I guess makes sense because that console flopped hard. Globally, it sold a few million less than the Vita.

The 3DS is dumb. There's probably more active players of the 3DS right now even compared to Vita because of the high install base (over 75 million). I have to imagine there's still around 10 million active players. And the 3DS has more exclusive games and DLC on its eShop than Wii U, so that's another loss. But still, this was inevitable.

At least Nintendo is giving really advanced notice, just like they did when the Wii Shop and DSi Shop closed. Sony only gave 6 months notice before the closures of their three stores (Vita and PS3 remain open as we know).

Maybe Nintendo also has higher quality control of some of their products. The PS3 and Vita stores are open, but they suck so hard in functionality. Nintendo might not have wanted a really buggy or credit/debit-card excluded store to remain open. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I tried using the sites and the info was not very accurate. It was missing games I had played on my 3ds in 2013 that showing on the activity log

Also currently playing Xenoblade X and it really needs a port, so freaking good

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 2

One year of notice is good actually,there's a lot of time to plan and buy whatever you still want, hopefully they will go wild and have great sales when the time is near.

It's still sad to see this, especially since 3DS is still rather popular from what I've seen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Why is the removal of the means to purchase being conflated with removal of access? 

In a year the ability to buy digital games on the 3DS and WiiU store will be removed. However, any purchase that was made before the cutoff date can still be downloaded and played to their respective devices. There's no statement from Nintendo ever removing the access to the games for people that have bought them.

My point was just the access is being taken away itself. If you have bought them, then yes you will be able to download them.. if you've purchased them. This is still cutting off access, albeit, the ability to purchase any game on that system digitally.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JourneySilvers said:

The 3DS part surprises me. I know a lot of people who still use their 3DS, and compared to how long they let the WiiU limp along, Im surprised they're shutting it down this early. It sucks to be honest. I get that these storefronts have to close, but game companies don't seem to care about backwards compatibility or preserving legacy content at all. I don't like the way the gaming industry in general is prioritizing a handheld of old game ports that they know will make them money, rather than working to set up a system where digital content can be integrated to new generations by default. 

Guess its time to do the same doomsday prepping for my 3DSes that I had to do for my vita. Getting everything re-downloaded, getting storage space figured out...

I actually bought a bunch of games off the 3DS eshop during Chsirtmas too. I hope Nintendo rethinks this decision. Maybe they will do what Sony did and reconsider this decision. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

What's unfortunate really, is that the Wii shop was closed some years ago, and more importantly, this means the Switch shop will be closed in 10-15 years from now. With the PSP also being shut recently, honestly our digital games are not safe which honestly makes being a console gamer a bit more worrying since on Steam that store will never be shutting (stuff does get delisted though)

Many games of course also, there's very little hope of them being emulated if they had some sort of online connectivity.

Even physical games often are missing their Day 1 patch to fix game breaking issues which one day, the patch might not be available anymore.

Honestly seems a bit sucky all around to be honest.

The Wii store fully shut down in 2019, about 15 years after its initial release. The Wii U is only about 10 years old (not even), the 3DS 11 years. I think this may be the earliest a digital storefront has shut down on a console. The Switch is 5 years old now, imagine if its eshop is gone in just another 5 years. I doubt that'll be the case with how popular it is, but I wouldn't doubt if it has less than a decade left.

I actually plan to get a Steam Deck this year now instead of a PS5 (well, depending on when my pre-order becomes available anyway, currently in the "after Q2 category"). Didn't think I'd bother getting one, but after seeing some reviews and it in action, I decided to bite the bullet and place a deposit. I don't know how much of a main stay it's going to be in my gaming life, but I'm getting kinda tired of having to play old as hell or small indie games on my non-gaming PC, where even there they sometimes have issues. Not to mention there's a handful of PC exclusives I've always been interested in, but haven't cared enough to buy/build a gaming PC for them. So even if I don't end up using it extensively, it's definitely still going to be getting some decent use from me at least.

I'll still get a PS5 eventually, and Series X, as they do have exclusives that I won't be able to keep ignoring forever as more keep coming out, but I am concerned what the next generation of consoles will be like. I don't know if it'll happen by the PS6, but I wouldn't doubt that if by the time the PS7 comes out, consoles with disc drives are no longer a thing, and cloud subscription services are a very large part of console gaming, with several exclusives tied behind their paywalls. I'd probably stop buying new consoles and games at that point, or go fully PC, depending on things pan out there.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LOWERCASESUCKS said:

My point was just the access is being taken away itself. If you have bought them, then yes you will be able to download them.. if you've purchased them. This is still cutting off access, albeit, the ability to purchase any game on that system digitally.

Access remains. The abiltiy to purchase is being removed. 

What you might be losing is the ablility to pretend that one day you will eventually but some 3DS game you haven't decided to buy in over 10 years. 
The worse thing this does is have people face reality.

6 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Access remains. The abiltiy to purchase is being removed. 

What you might be losing is the ablility to pretend that one day you will eventually but some 3DS game you haven't decided to buy in over 10 years. 
The worse thing this does is have people face reality.

Access remains.. If you bought the game. Otherwise games will be gone from the digital store.

I'm not getting into an arguement about this lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The Wii store fully shut down in 2019, about 15 years after its initial release. The Wii U is only about 10 years old (not even), the 3DS 11 years. I think this may be the earliest a digital storefront has shut down on a console. The Switch is 5 years old now, imagine if its eshop is gone in just another 5 years. I doubt that'll be the case with how popular it is, but I wouldn't doubt if it has less than a decade left.

No the earliest would either be The Dreamcast or The Original Xbox. Dreamcast's online only lasted 2-3 years and while it didn't have a storefront it had many functions tied to it like Phantasy Star Online. Original Xbox Live's storefront was shutdown after only 8 years.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

No the earliest would either be The Dreamcast or The Original Xbox. Dreamcast's online only lasted 2-3 years and while it didn't have a storefront it had many functions tied to it like Phantasy Star Online. Original Xbox Live's storefront was shutdown after only 8 years.

I guess the Dreamcast did have a few games with DLC. No idea how those were implemented though, as I never even realised it was a thing until much, much later.

I wasn't aware the original Xbox had any kind of storefront though? Never had an OG Xbox however.

27 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I guess the Dreamcast did have a few games with DLC. No idea how those were implemented though, as I never even realised it was a thing until much, much later.

I wasn't aware the original Xbox had any kind of storefront though? Never had an OG Xbox however.

Even the saturn had an online component.

Yes the original xbox had a lot of dlc and title patches for games

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ninjise said:

One year of notice is good actually,there's a lot of time to plan and buy whatever you still want, hopefully they will go wild and have great sales when the time is near.

I can't speak for the 3DS but I've had a Wii U for several years and sales are almost non-existent. I can't see them doing anything before the end. 

Dreamcast is a cool system. While the official servers are down, there is still a dedicated online community, and quite a few games are still playable. Most tof the DLC is also available for download off the internet. 

OG Xbox def had a storefront (Even though I didn't get one until way later) because there are some games that have DLC on disc (Elder Scrolls, Halo, Tom Clancy, etc) 

I don't think patches will matter a ton for the Wii-U. Most games don't even have patches, and the ones that do all run fine without them.

Patches are a bigger deal with the l;ast 2 gens. So many games are completely broken/unplayable without patches. Not so much with the previous gens.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I can't speak for the 3DS but I've had a Wii U for several years and sales are almost non-existent. I can't see them doing anything before the end. 

Dreamcast is a cool system. While the official servers are down, there is still a dedicated online community, and quite a few games are still playable. Most tof the DLC is also available for download off the internet. 

OG Xbox def had a storefront (Even though I didn't get one until way later) because there are some games that have DLC on disc (Elder Scrolls, Halo, Tom Clancy, etc) 

I don't think patches will matter a ton for the Wii-U. Most games don't even have patches, and the ones that do all run fine without them.

Patches are a bigger deal with the l;ast 2 gens. So many games are completely broken/unplayable without patches. Not so much with the previous gens.

There's plenty of sales on 3DS and Wii U, they just tend to be a bunch of shovelware that no one's heard of or cares about. It's unfortunately also the case on the Switch. I have about 10 games on my wish list on there and most have never once gone on sale (Famicom Detective Club is the one that hurts the most, really don't wanna pay £50 for a digital game, but it's starting to seem like I might have to).

There's some patches that certainly matter on the Wii U, such as with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, for the DLC. Same with the 3DS, there's some games that do have some severe glitches unpatched, such as the infamous Lumiose City save glitch in Pokemon X and Y. But hopefully the patches will still be available to download for several years to come anyway.

Keep in mind the 3DS and Wii U are the same generation as the PS4 and Xbox One (Switch also, technically, no one seems to know for sure which generation it quite fits into yet, but I think it's generally considered 8th gen). I know there's been more broken games at launch on the latter though.

• Like 1

There's plenty of sales on 3DS and Wii U, they just tend to be a bunch of shovelware that no one's heard of or cares about. It's unfortunately also the case on the Switch. I have about 10 games on my wish list on there and most have never once gone on sale (Famicom Detective Club is the one that hurts the most, really don't wanna pay £50 for a digital game, but it's starting to seem like I might have to).

There's some patches that certainly matter on the Wii U, such as with Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, for the DLC. Same with the 3DS, there's some games that do have some severe glitches unpatched, such as the infamous Lumiose City save glitch in Pokemon X and Y. But hopefully the patches will still be available to download for several years to come anyway.

Keep in mind the 3DS and Wii U are the same generation as the PS4 and Xbox One (Switch also, technically, no one seems to know for sure which generation it quite fits into yet, but I think it's generally considered 8th gen). I know there's been more broken games at launch on the latter though.

Yes, I shouldn't have said all games, but many are still OK. I don't have Smash or Mario Kart on Wii-U.

As for your last part...Yeah, I forgot that the Wii-U was considered 8th gen. I don't know...most of the games the games are PS3/360 era games, not PS4/XB1 games. In my mind, it's a 7th gen system so I approached it that way, lol

8 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I actually plan to get a Steam Deck this year now instead of a PS5 (well, depending on when my pre-order becomes available anyway, currently in the "after Q2 category"). Didn't think I'd bother getting one, but after seeing some reviews and it in action, I decided to bite the bullet and place a deposit. I don't know how much of a main stay it's going to be in my gaming life, but I'm getting kinda tired of having to play old as hell or small indie games on my non-gaming PC, where even there they sometimes have issues. Not to mention there's a handful of PC exclusives I've always been interested in, but haven't cared enough to buy/build a gaming PC for them. So even if I don't end up using it extensively, it's definitely still going to be getting some decent use from me at least.

I'll still get a PS5 eventually, and Series X, as they do have exclusives that I won't be able to keep ignoring forever as more keep coming out, but I am concerned what the next generation of consoles will be like. I don't know if it'll happen by the PS6, but I wouldn't doubt that if by the time the PS7 comes out, consoles with disc drives are no longer a thing, and cloud subscription services are a very large part of console gaming, with several exclusives tied behind their paywalls. I'd probably stop buying new consoles and games at that point, or go fully PC, depending on things pan out there.

I think I might join you there mate.

Since 1998 and Playstation 1 I have shunned PC. I remember when I bought a new Pentium II PC and to my horror and disgust most of my DOS games failed to work, I was pretty livid, especially since I had not long before that had the same issue with my Amiga 1200. I hated PCs, they were a pain to setup, a pain to maintain and expensive. Ultimately I still kept getting a PC to do work on, and to go on the Internet, play MP3s, watch movies etc, but then since Playstation 2 and phones coming along, slowly but surely a ton of Internet capable devices came along and PCs and then Steam came along and I mocked PC even more, I mean it became just the same kind of locked system having a store front, no different to a Playstation / Xbox or Nintendo one.

So in 2022, almost 2 decades since I haven't bought a single PC game, I'm beginning to change my mind.

This might be a small thing for some people, but the PS5 selling a version without a physical drive but most importantly not having a way to back up your save to USB. That's a deal breaker for me. PS+ subscription is now mandatory... On PC you can back up your save and play games online, at ZERO cost.

I've always liked that consoles are easy to use and compatible, games just work and on every machine you buy. But now that's not really the case, consoles have all the same issues as PC now but with even less benefits. buggy mess game release like Cyberpunk are getting more common now. On PC perhaps you can buy a better system, upgrade your PC, no such luck on console. I have a buggy mess of a game Aliens Fireteam and I'm literally stuck with it, no options.

Seeing the price of PS3 consoles, PS3 controllers and even PS4 controllers, everything is so expensive, even though those consoles are not even retro yet. However a game you bought on Steam in 2003 that will still work today. And you can save it and back it up, no such luck on console.

So you see now PS Now is perhaps the worst kind of service, you don't own anything you're just played it streamed. Unable to back up saves is the first step towards a PS Now future. Many people here use PS Now with no issues, it's become normalised already. And I worry about NFTs, I think they're going to be worse on console.

I sometimes play Alien VS Predator on my hacked PSP but since the battery has issues and won't fit in its slot, I can only play it via mains supply. It runs at 60fps, it's a great console. But it's a brick now since it has no store, no way to buy stuff for it. It's not the hardware that is at fault, it's no different to Vita. Closed systems are fine, until the manufacturer abandons them, and then they seem bad machines, but they aren't.

You used to be able to install OtherOS on a PS3, Sony removed it. This is why PC is better, you still own your games, even digital, then there's GOG, or just playing stuff without any store fronts, there's emulators for everything else. I worry the day my PS3 dies, I have a ton of exclusives on it, I could have just bought most of them all on PC or Steam.

Most exclusives on XBox and Playstation come to PC eventually. Even God Of War, Yakuza and other exclusives long ago like Tekken, everything is on PC.

Maybe just don't care about preservation. I shun all online only games for this reason. I don't one of those type of games to become my most favourite game of all time, and then it have the servers shut and I, in a way am mourning a loss, of sorts.

I have a backlog so big that I worry about the money I have wasted buying them and never actually playing them. And how long are these supply shortages going to last? You can't buy a new console easily, A new PC though, I can go out and buy one more. I might get a Steam Deck too, I mean, you get access to Steam! STEAM! That's decades of games right there!

I love the Playstation controller but we're in a world where you can use them easily on a PC anyway, and I hate the pull of trophy completionist type behaviour which the Playstation universe has me set in. A move to Steam will set me free I feel.

I am also angry at Final Fantasy 7 remake. An EXCLUSIVE game for the PS4 system, but now has content you need a PS5 for, and it's ALL available on PC...

Playing God Of War on base PS4 gave me awful motion sickness, but wouldn't on a next gen PC.

Oh, and you can mod PC games, and no because of nude mods (although of course they are kinda cool, in a way) a lot of users actually fix the games better than devs do, which is certainly something you can't do on a console.

PS5 and XBX are honestly medium range next gen PCs now, but without the benefits.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Shame to see it be like this. 

I just removed my initial rant since it doesn’t relate to the topic at all. 

Between the big three, I don’t believe in the lesser evil. They all suck. Sony with its woke nonsense. Microsoft being a power hungry trillion dollar company bent on purchasing assets. Nintendo’s strict policy of how people obtain their older games. One solid reason why people pirate games and use emulators. 

It’s not looking bright for the future of gaming.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

I assume this is probably common knowledge, but my dumb ass only just discovered this today so I'll mention it here just in case.

You can find patches for 3DS games in the eshop by simply searching "update", instead of having to insert every single cart to see if there's an update available. Unsure if all updates are on there however.

Again, updates will apparently still be available after the eshop closures, but I'm unsure if you'll still be able to find them on the eshop or not after the fact, so it's worth doing sooner than later to avoid the potential hassle of constant cart swapping.