Wii U and 3DS eshops to permanently close in late March 2023

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

One thing I've never understood is why the demos from the 3DS eShop have a play limit. For example, Fire Emblem: Awakening (which still stands as one of my favorite games on that console) has a limit of 15. Once you've booted the software that many times, you can't play it anymore, even if you redownload it. As much as I enjoy playing Nintendo games, I also have to ask: what's the logic behind this? I don't think PlayStation does this with any of the demos.

Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, RachelCharlotte said:

Is there any hope that games might go on sale before becoming unavailable for all eternity? I'd like to add Twilight Princess to my collection and after more than 15 years finally beat it, but the disc is even more expensive than the already steep 50€-download version...

According to price history, Twilight Princess HD has never been discounted in EU Wii U eShop. If you really want the game, you might have to pay the full price for it. At least I'm not very hopeful about getting a sale on Nintendo published titles in the 3DS/Wii U eShop. How much is the physical version going for these days? I got the Wolf Link amiibo bundle version in 2017 but haven't started the game yet.

Just yesterday I got a couple of GBA Virtual Console games for Wii U and Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS. I still have a few eShop exclusive titles I want to buy but I'm starting to run out of space on both Wii U and 3DS. I kind of regret getting some titles digitally instead of physical as some of those hog surprisingly lot of space on the device.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

According to price history, Twilight Princess HD has never been discounted in EU Wii U eShop. If you really want the game, you might have to pay the full price for it. At least I'm not very hopeful about getting a sale on Nintendo published titles in the 3DS/Wii U eShop. How much is the physical version going for these days? I got the Wolf Link amiibo bundle version in 2017 but haven't started the game yet.

Just yesterday I got a couple of GBA Virtual Console games for Wii U and Shin Megami Tensei IV for 3DS. I still have a few eShop exclusive titles I want to buy but I'm starting to run out of space on both Wii U and 3DS. I kind of regret getting some titles digitally instead of physical as some of those hog surprisingly lot of space on the device.

About 67 dollars for the standard PAL version

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/pal-wii-u/zelda-twilight-princess-hd

• Like 2

If only Nintendo would set up a mega sale on the last week before it shutdowns, it would be amazing, yeah I know it will never happen, but a guy can dream.. There's so many games I'm on the fence with a sale I most likely would grab them right away.

• Like 3

On 16/02/2022 at 0:36 AM, IAMERORR said:

The question is, which are the essential games to purchase before closure.

From my short experience on 3DS, I would recommend:

- Kid Icarus Uprising

- Luigi's Mansion

- Mario 3D Land

- Mario Kart 7

- Detective Pikachu

- Phoenix Wright exclusive games

- Bravely Default

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ninjise said:

If only Nintendo would set up a mega sale on the last week before it shutdowns, it would be amazing, yeah I know it will never happen, but a guy can dream.. There's so many games I'm on the fence with a sale I most likely would grab them right away.

This is what I'm hoping for. If they don't put the games on the Switch, and people haven't bought them on the Wii U so far, Nintendo could only win by slashing the prices on the eshop just before those games become unavailable. I thought something like this might have happened with WiiWare.

55 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

If they don't put the games on the Switch, and people haven't bought them on the Wii U so far, Nintendo could only win by slashing the prices on the eshop just before those games become unavailable.

Trying to apply reasonable logic to Nintendo's greed is a fruitless endeavor, I assure you.

They're most likely going to keep more or less everything full price until the very end in the hopes of making the most profit prior to shutting the eShop on both consoles down for good (hence why I'm not giving them a single cent by homebrewing my consoles instead, but I digress).

Edited by Zephrese

I would have thought that almost every 3ds and Wii U on the planet would be running off CFW by now. The only legit Nintendo I own is the Switch and even that is the hackable version but I love it that much I pay for my games.

Really though, very greedy company and don't feel bad about piracy with these guys.

• Like 2

On 2.2.2023 at 8:37 AM, Z1MZUM said:

I would have thought that almost every 3ds and Wii U on the planet would be running off CFW by now. The only legit Nintendo I own is the Switch and even that is the hackable version but I love it that much I pay for my games.

Really though, very greedy company and don't feel bad about piracy with these guys.

It is tempting. I loved being able to play my Gamecube games on the Wii U back in the day, but I'm completely out of the loop and don't even know if I could run homebrew on this one.

• Like 1