When do you think the online will shutdown?

OmegaRejectz

24 minutes ago, x7251 said:

Driveclub (5 ½ years), Gran Turismo 5 (3½ years), Gran Turismo 6 (4½ years), MAG (4 years), MotorStorm: Pacific Rift (4 years), Resistance 2 (5 ½ years) Resistance 3 (2 ½ years), SOCOM Confrontation (5 years), SOCOM 4 (nearly 3 years). That's 9 games right there. The only PS4 game on the list is Driveclub, so Sony has done better at keeping servers up longer on PS4 than they did with the PS3. 

I don't think GT Sport will remain online too much longer. From looking at the kudosprime website for the past 2 months, Polyphony has stopped updating the online race tracks once a week. Polyphony are only changing the online race tracks once a month now. 

Only 9! Wow, that’s actually significantly less than I thought, but still probably not statistically enough to support the claim “Sony doesn't give servers more than 5 years in most cases”, unless Sony has only released 17 or less games with online components since the PS3 released. 

GT Sport turns 5 years old in October of this year and I’m sure as 7 becomes more mature, Polyphony will follow their pattern of wrapping up previous titles by shutting down online components and focusing on their current title. I’d wager it has more to do with resource usage than rules about time limits though. If less people use the online components each day, and they require resources to maintain, someone needs to decide how long to dedicate resources to maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small heads up to the few of you like myself who have a PSN account in a country you're not currently in - the matchmaking will set you up with people near your PSN region, which in some cases can mean bad connections and rare disconnects, therefore you should jump onto the online ASAP, especially those pole positions and wins. 

The silver lining is that I am fairly bad at racing games and if I can do it with a connection to the other side of the globe, you can too and probably without too much stress.

Best of luck to any of you going for this!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26.5.2022 at 1:01 AM, Letenko said:

Just a small heads up to the few of you like myself who have a PSN account in a country you're not currently in - the matchmaking will set you up with people near your PSN region, which in some cases can mean bad connections and rare disconnects, therefore you should jump onto the online ASAP, especially those pole positions and wins. 

The silver lining is that I am fairly bad at racing games and if I can do it with a connection to the other side of the globe, you can too and probably without too much stress.

Best of luck to any of you going for this!

You can easily get around this problem by setting up a new PSN Account for the country you're actually in. I am from Germany and in 2019 I went to work in New Zealand. NZ is pretty much the other side of the planet from Germany, so I had connection issues with my German/Turkish accounts. However setting up an NZ account solved the issue immediately. It was a fun experience to race against the (mostly) Japanese and Aussie players in the Nations Cup races. Too bad Covid came around and took a big fat dump on everything. 

4 minutes ago, Baka_Marimo said:

You can easily get around this problem by setting up a new PSN Account for the country you're actually in. I am from Germany and in 2019 I went to work in New Zealand. NZ is pretty much the other side of the planet from Germany, so I had connection issues with my German/Turkish accounts. However setting up an NZ account solved the issue immediately. It was a fun experience to race against the (mostly) Japanese and Aussie players in the Nations Cup races. Too bad Covid came around and took a big fat dump on everything. 

I personally didn't have much interest in going online for this game were it not for the trophies. Don't get me wrong, the fact it was practically unboostable so I had to "git gud" was very fun and I'd probably do it again given the chance, but the enjoyment of the online itself was on the back of my mind. 

I wish Sony would give us an option to change your country/region like every other service under the Sun so you wouldn't be forced to either stick with it or abandon an account with plenty of history (14 years in my case) sonce people change locations all the time... altough in my case, it was my teenager stupidity that made me have an Australian account.

On 7/5/2022 at 5:56 AM, ResiGamer_28 said:

Given how quickly they shut down 5 I wouldn't hang about. PS3 games and even now, PS4 are always on a timer. Sony doesn't give servers more than 5 years, in most cases max 10. Xbox's games are a bit more lenient.

Given the monthly rotation now, I highly suggest to start playing next Monday and start grinding out the online part. At the end of the month, it is extremely difficult for an average racing gamer to stand for a Pole or a win. They've been grinding the whole month, so by this time around they have mastered the tracks. So, be quick and go for this before it's too late.

For shutdowns, I think we still have like 6-12 months window, until Polyphony decides it; otherwise, I could stay longer due to its nature for online-only connection and functionality. Let's see how this goes. 

And yes, that's one of the things that I respect from them though that Sony is so fucking reluctant to learn about. For example, what about Gears of War 1 which was released 14 years ago and people are still playing it? Think about it... And yes, it's a ridiculous grind, though. 

Edited by Xenoblast91