Minimum players needed to boost MP?

Weapon_X

I never understood how boosting would work in this game assuming trophies don't unlock in private lobbies (it was like that on PS3, I assume the same applies to PS4). it would take 8 people minimum, as the teams would be filled with randoms if it's less than that number. even with the minimum required number of people, how would you meet in a public match? It seems very laborious and unnecessary, honestly. I'm currently working on the second journey and even though I'm a player of questionable skill, it's really simple to do well in multiplayer. all you need to do is keep your clan between 15-30 people, and collect enough supplies per day, a simple task for this small number of clans. supporting your team, playing with the third loadout, healing, reviving and gifting items to your team, you just need to collect resources and stay close to heal and revive. with these steps you can easily get your required amount per day, and then you can even quit 1-2 matches in a row to speed up. It's really very simple, it seems like a huge headache to perform boosting in this game, I don't recommend it.

I know you can play in groups which prevents randoms from playing, so the theory is that if we knew the minimum needed to start a match, we’d create two groups and then search. It would match the two groups and randoms wouldn’t be able to join. This way we could all join, quit, and stay on the same days to make it easier to keep survivors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevao97 said:

I never understood how boosting would work in this game assuming trophies don't unlock in private lobbies (it was like that on PS3, I assume the same applies to PS4). it would take 8 people minimum, as the teams would be filled with randoms if it's less than that number. even with the minimum required number of people, how would you meet in a public match? It seems very laborious and unnecessary, honestly. I'm currently working on the second journey and even though I'm a player of questionable skill, it's really simple to do well in multiplayer. all you need to do is keep your clan between 15-30 people, and collect enough supplies per day, a simple task for this small number of clans. supporting your team, playing with the third loadout, healing, reviving and gifting items to your team, you just need to collect resources and stay close to heal and revive. with these steps you can easily get your required amount per day, and then you can even quit 1-2 matches in a row to speed up. It's really very simple, it seems like a huge headache to perform boosting in this game, I don't recommend it.

Since it's not a 100,000+ player base it means two groups of 4 (both group leaders need to be from the same region) simply search at the same time. If you meet, sweet, then just play and it'll "infinitely" restart the matches, meaning after matching that one time you could continuously play with no more matchmaking finicking. If you don't match, back out and retry. Super simple to match with others.

==================

@Weapon_X

8 people total. Two groups of 4, both group leaders need to be from the same region. Search the same mode at the same time and hope you match with each other. If you do it's basically an endless cycle as the game doesn't kick players out when a match ends.

Edited by OmegaRejectz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Since it's not a 100,000+ player base it means two groups of 4 (both group leaders need to be from the same region) simply search at the same time. If you meet, sweet, then just play and it'll "infinitely" restart the matches, meaning after matching that one time you could continuously play with no more matchmaking finicking. If you don't match, back out and retry. Super simple to match with others.

==================

@Weapon_X

8 people total. Two groups of 4, both group leaders need to be from the same region. Search the same mode at the same time and hope you match with each other. If you do it's basically an endless cycle as the game doesn't kick players out when a match ends.

I totally forgot that after matchmaking it is not necessary to meet again, therefore it is only necessary once. so it's just completing the matches then. I still find this method more time consuming and bureaucratic.

I dont usually like to be that guy, but given how actively played this game still is and how easy earning point in in the mp is, it's probably easier to just play legit. create a medic class and skip the majority of matches (asshole move but effective and fast). you dont even have to kill anything because playing a medic role with the right skills already gives you a ridiculous amount of points and supplies.

• Like 3

On 2022-02-17 at 10:38 PM, xDerErnst said:

I dont usually like to be that guy, but given how actively played this game still is and how easy earning point in in the mp is, it's probably easier to just play legit. create a medic class and skip the majority of matches (asshole move but effective and fast). you dont even have to kill anything because playing a medic role with the right skills already gives you a ridiculous amount of points and supplies.

Happen to have a medic build?

From personal experience, you're better off just doing it solo and playing matches with randoms. The whole supplies things are designed in such a way that just ending a match without quitting (doesn't matter if you win or lose, did good or bad) you'll get enough supplies to guarantee a few members live (only if they all die do you have to restart the journey). So skill in that regard isn't an issue.
The only thing that can end you (besides quitting too many matches) are the 100% risk missions and for those simply ignore any mission that isn't 100% risk (since successfully completing objectives makes them harder on future missions if you pick them again) and pick the easier objectives (the crafting, giving supplies, etc.).

As for boosting, you'll lose a lot of time just matching the groups since the multiplayer has a lot of players. Although you only need to do that when you first start, if someone disconnects or if you're a big group, someone leaves but you have a replacement then you'll have to go through matching again. Also while you can boost with less than 8 players, if there's an empty slot in your groups the game will sooner or later stuff a random in there.
The only thing that might require boosting is just the DLC trophies since the maps you play are randomly chosen with the game selecting 2 which every player will then vote for the map they want to play. So randoms might not want to play on the DLC Map and even if they want to you'll still have the task of downing 5 enemies which can be difficult or easy depending on your skill.

When deciding to boost you should make 2 lobby's of 4 people so the game is full if you find each other.
Game mode should be the one you can end the quickest (forgot the name).

Take turns in wins but if someone has a 100% mission, that has highest priority.
The hosts should be of the same region (EU or US for example).

Then there's a trick that worked on both PS3 and PS4 but only if hosts were from the same region:
- 1 group starts to search and looks at all the messages that show up until it shows 'searching for players' => this means it can't find players for the more restrictive searches it did before.

- Right when that message appears, the other group should start searching as well => voice communication is best, but discord worked as well when just typing 's' or so when the other group has to start searching. PSN messages/textonly party can be too slow as it sometimes lags.

When you see players joining that are not the ones you're looking for, just quit out. If the 2nd group was already searching, they can continue searching until they get the message or wrong players join, then they have to quit as well.

This way we almost always found each other immeditaly when the 2nd group started searching, even when a lot of groups were boosting back in the times of the PS3 shutdown.
When searching at the same time we would almost never find each other on PS3.
Sometimes we did need a few tries for searching to take long enough to get that message but it went relatively easy. 
Just make sure people don't idle out during a game or you might have to try and get them to join on the searching screen or set it all up again when that fails.

This also works with 3 vs 3 but there's a high chance of high skilled persons joining and making a quick game hard. Especially when you're still going for the map/kill related trophies.
If we had a map for 5 downs and people needed it while a high skilled person was in, we would just communicate where he was. Some would keep him busy so the persons that needed the downs could avoid him and meet somewhere else with people that were getting downed by the one that needs the trophy.

Once we even had a high skill person on each team and they decided to work together against us boosters by stretching the game as long as possible. But it was a map on which multiple people needed the 5 downs and by stretching the game they gave us a chance to avoid them and still get the 5 downs for everyone that needed it :D

Boosting it this way is not the fastest way for the journeys but it might help with the 5 downs/kills on each map or with 100% objectives.
I mainly did it all this way to be sure things would go right and I wouldn't accidentally mess up the skipping or the 100% objective, even it was a very easy one.