Resolution or Performance mode?

kantera

Normally I’m always for performance mode because I’m a sucker for 60 frames per second. But in this game, the resolution mode running at native 4K is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. I’m torn between the two, so I play with both and switch from time to time.

• Like 1

Performance, simply because most games cause nausea and headache with 30fps. I am so happy I am able to play games for longer on PS5 and don't have to take active breaks to recover from a headache. I never cared much about difference in graphics between modes, so option was super easy for me

• Like 1

Normally I'd always say performance, but it's such a staggering hit to image quality that I'm playing in quality mode. It's an even 30FPS so even in resolution mode it's a (relatively) smooth experience, and the upgrade in graphical fidelity really is something else if you're playing on a good 4K screen.

Almost makes me think of Guardians of the Galaxy, which was only 1080p in performance and a massive upgrade to full 4K in resolution mode. Horizon isn't as low as that, but it certainly seems like it goes too far down with whatever checkerboard implementation they're using. Surely a native 1440p would look crisper than whatever they're doing and perfectly achievable at 60fps?

Edited by Mst-Sgt-Peppa
  • Like 2

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually starting to lean towards Resolution mode. This article by Polygon sums it up pretty well:

Moving the camera around is smoother at 60 fps than 30 fps, of course, but doing so highlights the drawbacks of the rendering techniques used in the Favor Performance mode. There is a lot of vegetation throughout Horizon Forbidden West’s world, from desert brush to mountain shrubs to leafy treetops. The checkerboard rendering can do a number on leaves and grass swaying in the breeze, causing visible artifacts on their edges. And without the Favor Resolution mode’s superb anti-aliasing implementation, there’s a distracting degree of shimmering in elements like foliage that I’ve found impossible to ignore.

This is really noticeable on my 4K OLED, and it's driving me crazy. It results in a very "noisy" image. There are a lot of complaints about the image quality in Performance mode on the official Reddit forums, but to be honest, I don't expect a fix. It seems like a deliberate choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually starting to lean towards Resolution mode. This article by Polygon sums it up pretty well:

Moving the camera around is smoother at 60 fps than 30 fps, of course, but doing so highlights the drawbacks of the rendering techniques used in the Favor Performance mode. There is a lot of vegetation throughout Horizon Forbidden West’s world, from desert brush to mountain shrubs to leafy treetops. The checkerboard rendering can do a number on leaves and grass swaying in the breeze, causing visible artifacts on their edges. And without the Favor Resolution mode’s superb anti-aliasing implementation, there’s a distracting degree of shimmering in elements like foliage that I’ve found impossible to ignore.

This is really noticeable on my 4K OLED, and it's driving me crazy. It results in a very "noisy" image. There are a lot of complaints about the image quality in Performance mode on the official Reddit forums, but to be honest, I don't expect a fix. It seems like a deliberate choice.

Same here.  I'm a performance guy and was playing on that for the first 10 hours or so but I'm now on Resolution mode.  They really need to fix it. 

This thing can do 8K and 120fps (I know not together), so why can't we have native 4K @60fps?

I have a C1 btw. 

• Like 2

I'm usually all-in on performance mode, but I opted for resolution this time around. It's absolutely beautiful in 4k, and the graphical difference between modes feels larger than usual (at least to me). My eyes fully adjusted to the 30fps framerate (which feels stable) by the time I finished the tutorial area, so I'm not really missing the 60fps option that much anymore.

Digital Foundry also preferred the resolution mode, which influenced my decision a bit.

• Like 1

I don’t get how anyone could choose graphics over frames. Blows my mind. The game still looks fantastic in Performance mode as well so that’s just a bonus. Frames > Fidelity any day.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:46 AM, communistwookiee said:

Had to go with resolution. I just feel like too much is lost because of the checkerboarding for the performance mode. Kinda wish Guerrilla went for a native 1440p over a checkerboard 1800p to hit 60fps.

How could they have gone a Native 1440p when PS5 doesn’t even support 1440p? Lmao

• Like 1

I normally always play on Resolution mode for games, however maybe I'm the only one with this problem but when I play the game on Resolution mode it has this weird contrast bug where all the contrast gets washed out when the camera is stationary and all the color comes back when moving the camera, it's extremely jarring and unplayable, so I'm forced to play on Performance mode where that doesn't happen.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm trying to track down what's causing it, whether it's PS5 setting or TV setting, or just the game but can't find the source - since this doesn't happen in any other game of mine on the same setup I assume it's maybe a game bug

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

Same here.  I'm a performance guy and was playing on that for the first 10 hours or so but I'm now on Resolution mode.  They really need to fix it. 

This thing can do 8K and 120fps (I know not together), so why can't we have native 4K @60fps?

I have a C1 btw. 

it can't do either 8k or 120fps in a game like Horizon respectably, for 120fps you'll get a 1080p low settings mode, 8K nothing at all unless it's an indie or smaller game

1 hour ago, ImAPirateSoSueMe said:

I don’t get how anyone could choose graphics over frames. Blows my mind. The game still looks fantastic in Performance mode as well so that’s just a bonus. Frames > Fidelity any day.

How could they have gone a Native 1440p when PS5 doesn’t even support 1440p? Lmao

you're confused about how resolution works, PS5 doesn't support 1440p output as a signal to a 1440p screen, the actual resolution of 1440p is something different, Mafia Definitive Edition for example is 1440p and outputs at 4k or 1080p on PS4Pro, just like it does on PS5 now in BC mode, internal resolution is different from output resolution, a game can interally be 8K and output at 4k or even 1080p, like an indie game does on PS5 already, which PS5 also doesn't support 8k signal right now, but 8k resolution is a different thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNGA_XnWVMg

and again, I need to point this out because it's not obvious, but 1800p checkerboard, the resolution of the performance mode in Horizon 2, has less native pixels by about one fourth than 1440p native, just because you see 1800p, you don't get 1800p if after that you see the word checkerboard, checkerboard means 50% of that actual resolution is in effect, so switching the performance mode from 1800p cbr to 1440p native would be an improvement and cost more resorces, which we don't know if at that point it would even be a stable 60fps

Edited by THE DARK KNIGHT
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

I have a C1 btw. 

How is the C1 compared to the CX? Been thinking of upgrading. 

41 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

How is the C1 compared to the CX? Been thinking of upgrading. 

I've never owned a CX, soooo..... Better? ? (at least that's what everyone says). 

Great TV, solid 9/10.  That said, at this point just wait for the C2 that will be out in a few months. 

Performance mode, always, no matter what game. I'm with PC Mustard Race on this one, not that 30 fps is bad, but 60 fps should be industry standard and the graphics should be based on that. I am currently playing lots of PS3 games to finally wrap the console up, and the graphics are not the best, especially on my 65 inch/165 cm tv, but it's fine, howewer that abhorrent 25-ish fps that some game have, good god.
I remember how they promised that almost every game will run at 1080p/60fps on PS3 during the E3 reveal and 15 or so years later we still struggle with that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlindMango said:

I normally always play on Resolution mode for games, however maybe I'm the only one with this problem but when I play the game on Resolution mode it has this weird contrast bug where all the contrast gets washed out when the camera is stationary and all the color comes back when moving the camera, it's extremely jarring and unplayable, so I'm forced to play on Performance mode where that doesn't happen.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm trying to track down what's causing it, whether it's PS5 setting or TV setting, or just the game but can't find the source - since this doesn't happen in any other game of mine on the same setup I assume it's maybe a game bug

I have the same problem on my samsung qled tv. So, please let me know if you find a solution for this xD i have been testing around with settings but wasn‘t able to find anything. I also sometimes have a problem with the brightness. Sometimes while switcjing fast between map and game, the brightness seams way lower then normal abd gradually go back up to normal. No idea if it‘s a bug or not, but never had anything like that in other games. Tried to tinker with local dimming and stuff, no change.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cybershark91 said:

I have the same problem on my samsung qled tv. So, please let me know if you find a solution for this xD i have been testing around with settings but wasn‘t able to find anything. I also sometimes have a problem with the brightness. Sometimes while switcjing fast between map and game, the brightness seams way lower then normal abd gradually go back up to normal. No idea if it‘s a bug or not, but never had anything like that in other games. Tried to tinker with local dimming and stuff, no change.

Glad I'm not the only one, mine is also a QLED TV - I messed with various settings like dimming and HDR as well, but it still does it

• Like 1