Resolution or Performance mode?

kantera

Its weird, even though I always choose performance mode when its available I never have a problem with 30fps game when that's the only option. I've heard lots of people talk about how much prettier HFW is in resolution mode so about half an hour in I tried it out. It felt unbelievable laggy, to the point where i feel i would get motion sickness in any action scenes... to me this feels worse than playing old 30fps games. DO i need to reload the game to have it 'settle' or is it just I need more time to adjust when dropping half the frames?

Anyway I think the game looks amazing in performance mode even with upscaling :) 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 0:25 PM, cybershark91 said:

Playing in resolution mode. 
i tested around with both modes and while 60fps feel great in the game, the graphical downgrade is huge in my opinion. This world has to be seen in resolution mode. And as far as i‘m aware it‘s not only higher resolution you get, but alos ray traced shadows, better textures and sometimes more foliage and stuff. 
i absolutly hope we will get another graphic option in the future which combines 60fps with the features of the resolution mode

There is no raytracing in the game just fyi. The only difference between the modes besides frame rate is resolution and screen space reflection quality (source: Digital Foundry).

Performance (PS5). I had a quick look at resolution mode, and the frame rate is so jarring that I couldn't play it. It looks ridiculously beautiful standing still, though.

I go with performance, without fail, every single game I play herein. Its funny because it was fidelity and ray-tracing why I was hyped for this generation of hardware (Series/PS5) but 60-120fps consistently has been the true game changer for me. Everyone has their own preferences, but the frame-rate is so integral to my enjoyment of a next-gen game. 

I am not a PC gamer, but I completely understand why so many PC gamers struggled with Xbox One/PS4 and older consoles now I have an Xbox Series X and PS5. Without sounding spoilt, I genuinely struggle now out of 60fps unless its an indie or clearly old title (360/PS3 or older). Fortunately, most Xbox One or older games on Series get official frame rate boost. Not sure if PS5 does this or not.

A final question for techy readers - why do so many games struggle achieving both 4K and 60fps, or 1800p w/ RT 60fps? Doom Eternal achieves it, and it looks beyond outstanding. You'd think AAA games like this would be able to do so at this point...

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 2

I tend towards performance modes whenever there is a choice, simply because resolution is something the TV can get some of the way there independent of the console.

TV-side upscaling is not as good as native 4K of course, but it is better than nothing, and can still look very good - whereas frame-rate is something only the console can improve.

I generally dislike the notion some gamers have taken to where they will literally not play a game if its anything less than 60fps. You see a lot of it on Reddit. I'm not like that at all.

For Horizon though, resolution mode was actually giving me a headache which is what happened with Demon's Souls too. I'm not sure if the sheer magnitude of graphical fidelity on screen is too much for my eyes to handle at 30fps but I've put it on performance mode now and have no intention of switching it back.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

There is no raytracing in the game just fyi. The only difference between the modes besides frame rate is resolution and screen space reflection quality (source: Digital Foundry).

you also get better particle effects, by a huge margin, and all effects scale with resolution, like depth of field, ambient occlusion and all screen space effects like reflections and shadows

I tried performance mode but there was a very noticeable and distracting shimmering around foliage and particle effects that I immediately switched back to resolution mode. The game's perfectly playable at 30fps but it'd be great if we got a 40fps mode like Ratchet & Clank has.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, RedDevil757 said:

Looks like I’m the only one that would go for graphics mode. Don’t need 60fps unless it’s a racing or fighting game. HZD isn’t a fast paced game either

I’m also in resolution. I believe in the DF comparison (who suggests resolution), there is more grass and effects details. 

• Like 1

I typically only play in performance mode, but I have been playing in resolution mode.

In resolution mode the framerate drop hasn't been as noticeable as other games and there is a big improvement in the level of detail visible in my opinion.

I will probably switch between the two, resolution for exploring and traversal, graphics mode for longer fights and boss fights.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TJsTrophies said:

The human eye can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

No, that myth is based on a false corollary - the human eye can't detect individual frames at 30fps - it looks like smooth motion, and you can't 'see the zoetrope', as you would at less than 20fps - but they can still tell a distinct difference between the motion smoothness of 30fps, as opposed to 60fps.

In fact, whether it's distinguishable or not, the human eye can actually still be affected by 'flicker' even up to close to 120fps.

Fluorescent lights, for example, flicker on and off at around 50-60hz (an equivalent of around 110-120 'fps') - and pretty much everyone sees that as a 'constant' light source...

...but as many people will tell you, fluorescent lights can make a lot of people feel nauseous after prolonged exposure, and that is specifically because their eye is able to tell that there is a flickering - it's not being perceived consciously, but it's effect is being felt by the brain - which means that the eye is capable of detecting it to some degree.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

I generally dislike the notion some gamers have taken to where they will literally not play a game if its anything less than 60fps. You see a lot of it on Reddit. I'm not like that at all.

Fps is the new bits from the 90s. I see it so much with games that don't say what fps they run at. So people assume it's not 60fps and complain. It's always fun to point it out to them. That it is in fact 60fps and they can't even tell the difference.

40 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, that myth is based on a false corollary - the human eye can't detect individual frames at 30fps - it looks like smooth motion, and you can't 'see the zoetrope', as you would at less than 20fps - but they can still tell a distinct difference between the motion smoothness of 30fps, as opposed to 60fps.

In fact, whether it's distinguishable or not, the human eye can actually still be affected by 'flicker' even up to close to 120fps.

Fluorescent lights, for example, flicker on and off at around 50-60hz (an equivalent of around 110-120 'fps') - and pretty much everyone sees that as a 'constant' light source...

...but as many people will tell you, fluorescent lights can make a lot of people feel nauseous after prolonged exposure, and that is specifically because their eye is able to tell that there is a flickering - it's not being perceived consciously, but it's effect is being felt by the brain - which means that the eye is capable of detecting it to some degree.

Unfortunately you have been taken in by the fallacy that we actually see anything. The human eye was constructed to see 30fps by our makers, only with a visual upgrade to the connected chair can you see more. We being normal.constructs do not get that.

Performance mode, always. I'm sorry to be one of those guys, but 30fps just hurts my eyes. I won't go as far as to say that it makes a game unplayable, after all, I basically grew up with 30fps being the standard, but after experiencing 60fps it now makes it very difficult to go back. It boggles my mind that some people can't notice the difference between 30 and 60. Conversely, I'm not that sensitive to slight resolution drops, so there is really no benefit for me to ever choose fidelity/resolution modes over performance where I am very sensitive to fps differences. 

14 hours ago, TJsTrophies said:

Unfortunately you have been taken in by the fallacy that we actually see anything. The human eye was constructed to see 30fps by our makers, only with a visual upgrade to the connected chair can you see more. We being normal.constructs do not get that.

I feel like we're watching a Flat Earther at work. Considering you can switch the modes on the fly and definitively see the difference between 30 and 60, makes whatever nonsense you're spewing, just flat out incorrect. 

• Like 1

Resolution for this game, as an exception. The answer really depends on your TV. 55 inch and above in 4K, and you should lean toward resolution for this game specifically. I would normally do performance but this game is an exception because the rendering of the vegetation and edges look horrible on performance, so I choose resolution. Horizon is the first game I’ve played where the performance mode looks bad enough for me to be happy to sacrifice the 60fps for 30. 

Spend five minutes testing it in a field switching in back and forth while spinning the camera and then you’ll have your answer. 

Edited by liquidsol
  • Like 1