What's your favorite and least favorite part of the game so far (no spoilers).

Jake-TheGreat97

For me my favorite part of the game is the world design. While I don't think traversal is as good as in a game like Ghost of Tsushima, I think the game has better variety when it comes to its world design. I also really enjoy some of the side quests in the game. Usually I don't do side quest until I finish the main game, but not for this game.

Least favorite part so far would have to be the cutscenes. While they look amazingly photo realistic, most of them so far are way too long. When sitting through them all I can think about is getting back into gameplay. I also agree with everyone else when it comes to the climbing. I haven't played the first game in 4 years, but I feel like the climbing hasn't been improved at all. Finally I didn't really like the final mission/final boss. It felt anticlimactic compared to the first game in my opinion. 

Edited by Jake-TheGreat97
  • Like 1

I think they took it to the next level with general open world design, for me it's better than RDR2 and miles above the grey-goo Ubisoft shovels out.

The remnants of humanity's final stand and ancient war machines rusted in place while people walk around with bows and spears is such as atmospheric thing.

Also the sounds.

Edit: So, about 25 hours in and got to the part where the first Arena is unlocked. This is also rather janky.. Namely the limited space brings out the worst in 3rd person camera and placing several large + spammy enemies in a small area generally resolves in you being knocked down near the edge, not visible to the camera mashing the dodge button to move anywhere else while also getting spammed by AOE projectiles while a giant machine is parked on top of you.

And flying ones really suffer, either they get stuck and can be cheesed or, worse, they get stuck out of bounds in the crowd area and you have to reset.

Edited by Valkirye22
Arena
  • Like 2

Honestly, so far my favorite part is that it's more Horizon. I enjoyed the original a lot, and this is more of what I enjoy.

Least favorite part so far is the pop-in (trees/plants). They've been quite immersion-breaking, especially during that early cutscene where Aloy is traveling on Charger back.

• Like 1

I like the open world and the variety of quests - also the machines are very well designed.

I wish the climbing didn't feel so janky and awkward though. Also, because I'm playing on hard mode I'm getting one-shotted by even the most basic of machines, which is rather annoying. But I suppose that's what I get for picky the harder difficulty.

The combat and exploration is great.  Really like the melee combat and how fluid everything feels. 

The climbing/platforming can be very inconsistent and janky as others have mentioned. Has really knocked me out of the moment a few times. Other times, it has made me feel downright stupid not being able to tell where I'm supposed to go until I put my focus on one specific thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slayer02348 said:

The combat and exploration is great.  Really like the melee combat and how fluid everything feels. 

The climbing/platforming can be very inconsistent and janky as others have mentioned. Has really knocked me out of the moment a few times. Other times, it has made me feel downright stupid not being able to tell where I'm supposed to go until I put my focus on one specific thing. 

Oh yeah, the melee combat is really good! I like it even more than the bow now but then I've put a lot of points into the melee skill tree.

• Like 1

Favourite part: Main story and everything related to it.

Least favourite part: everything else, basically. But the worst offender is the climbing system that works like shit and filled with bugs. Aloy refuses to cooperate far to much for an first-party Sony title.

Favorite and Least Favorite are the same thing. Combat. 

I love the combat, and the variety it brings and there being more emphasis on tearing off parts and what not. However, I HATEEEEE the dodge mechanic in this game...yet I feel like the only person who has an issue with it. Everyone else is complaining about climbing and I don't have issues with that. I have a serious issue with with the fact that the machines seem to know which direction I'm going to dodge in before I do it...and how utterly often Aloy gets hit while in a dodge animation. This wasn't a problem in the first game as Aloy almost had this tiny window of invincibility when she was dodging...not here. Plus they upped the number of attacks most enemies do in a single sequence, so Aloy tends to have that split second of pause after she completes her dodge rolls but the enemy is only on their second of three attacks and she gets hit because you can't roll yet.

It's literally been the only thing infuriating me in this game. And I finished my NG+/Ultra Hard playthrough right before this arrived...I'm half inclined to say that was easier than this is on Normal. Almost every time I've died it's been because Aloy gets destroyed while she'd dodging. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I love the combat, and the variety it brings and there being more emphasis on tearing off parts and what not. However, I HATEEEEE the dodge mechanic in this game...yet I feel like the only person who has an issue with it. Everyone else is complaining about climbing and I don't have issues with that. I have a serious issue with with the fact that the machines seem to know which direction I'm going to dodge in before I do it...and how utterly often Aloy gets hit while in a dodge animation. This wasn't a problem in the first game as Aloy almost had this tiny window of invincibility when she was dodging...not here. Plus they upped the number of attacks most enemies do in a single sequence, so Aloy tends to have that split second of pause after she completes her dodge rolls but the enemy is only on their second of three attacks and she gets hit because you can't roll yet.

It's literally been the only thing infuriating me in this game. And I finished my NG+/Ultra Hard playthrough right before this arrived...I'm half inclined to say that was easier than this is on Normal. Almost every time I've died it's been because Aloy gets destroyed while she'd dodging. 

Use slide instead (run + square). You can also shoot while sliding and it makes Aloy look like a badass.

• Like 1

Favorite part - Combat, the world and story (both main and side stories)

Negative part - Gauntlet run (I really did NOT enjoy that part, rubberbanding opponents and weird controls, just felt clunky most of the time) and climbing felt bad at times.

Edited by Misshandlad
  • Like 1

Favorite:

90-95% of everything 

Hate:

Lack of customization (bring lesser gear forward all the way to legendary) and enemy attack tracking.  Plz nerf the later ??

On 22/02/2022 at 10:13 PM, Viper said:

I KNEW IT, I'm not fucking crazy.  Thank you m8! 100% agree with you. 

Edited by Fr_0zt
  • Like 2

My comment will be from different perspective, because everyone dislikes some part of mechanics (I dislike climbing too). 

But am I the only one that was kinda disappointed with how over the top sci-fi they went? I know from the lore perspective how advanced the technology we already seen was- like cauldrons, they look super sci-fi. But I liked that merge of tribal themes, people building their civilizations all over again with forgotten technology. 

But when I saw

Zeniths just flying around with magic shields and especially the final boss being some power rangers mech+ Nemesis reveal (sentient AI going towards Earth. In what? Dragon Ball space pod? Or just floating through space as an very angry thought?)

I thought damn, that's some Marvel bullshit. The game has amazing art direction, amazing voice acting and great cutscenes that I could just watch endlessly, it's just that one aspect. It was so absurd in some elements that kinda took me out of it

I absolutely love the world itself. The fortress ruins, battlefield wrecks supplemented by the audio logs of panic really makes me interested in the war before dawn. I'd kinda like a small spinoff set back in Elizabeth's time of soldiers holding out. As much as I love the bow and arrow I keep thinking it would be cool for Aloy to find one working rifle and use it even briefly.

The story and side quests are really interesting too, albeit I'm only up to Mission 10 of the main story but that's partially due to doing ever quest and map icon in each area before moving on.

Least favourites, I would say, and again it may be due to where I am in story, is the weapon and armour varierty. I'm still using starter gear and it's working against all but the Thunderjaw I ran into. Traders appear a bit limited in stock.

The map icons are also an annoyance, especially the firegleam that reappears but I hold out hope for a map patch at some time in future to tweak this.

• Like 1

Man, the combat just doesn't feel right compared to HZD. There's something seriously off with it and for me personally, it's a lot less fun.

Evasive options are non-existant, Aloy's dodge is useless. The time it takes to stand up after getting hit is ridiculously high. Picking up heavy weapons during a fight is a complete gamble and most of the time you will get shot down by the time you can fire.

Looks like lure call and long roll have been removed?

The overall complexity went up with new status effects, weapons and machines with different weak points but there's no system to quickly swap different load outs for different situations.

Pretty decent summary that I mostly agree with:

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/t0ybt6/forbidden_wests_combat_systems_are_in_conflict/

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Man, the combat just doesn't feel right compared to HZD. There's something seriously off with it and for me personally, it's a lot less fun.

Evasive options are non-existant, Aloy's dodge is useless. The time it takes to stand up after getting hit is ridiculously high. Picking up heavy weapons during a fight is a complete gamble and most of the time you will get shot down by the time you can fire.

Looks like lure call and long roll have been removed?

The overall complexity went up with new status effects, weapons and machines with different weak points but there's no system to quickly swap different load outs for different situations.

Pretty decent summary that I mostly agree with:

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/t0ybt6/forbidden_wests_combat_systems_are_in_conflict/

Yeah, could do with a loadouts option as I am constantly moving around gear.

Combat is definitely harder in this than ZD. The game punishes spam dodging.You have to be unpredictable and use slides as well. Sliding is more effective for evading enemy attacks.

I wonder if there's level scaling in this? I'm finding that it's not enough to outlevel quests anymore as even the trashmobs are still dangerous. Human enemies are easy but with machines you really do have to use every tool in your arsenal to take them down. I can take out mammoths in about 3 hits now just using the braced shot technique in the infiltrator skill.

It's super OP, and then when you add your valors and potions you become a powerhouse.