What's your favorite and least favorite part of the game so far (no spoilers).

Jake-TheGreat97

I have to agree that the amount of cutscenes and dialogue in this game is excessive. Then again, the first one was like this too. It's 50/50. You sit through 30 minutes of cutscenes and dialogue and you get rewarded with 30 minutes of gameplay, rinse and repeat for the whole game. The first Horizon was like this too but the gameplay was more balanced in the first one. The gameplay also feels way more parkour heavy in this one, it feels like every other Sony exclusive game in this regard except clunkier compared to an Uncharted or Spider-Man for example where the parkour traversing is much tighter and ultimately more satisfying to do and you don't mind doing it. It just feels like a chore in Horizon. 

It's another game victim of the Sony first party syndrome where the game is far too narrative driven and not enough gameplay. You really notice how little these games have when you skip all the cutscenes and dialogue. I noticed it when I played through the first Horizon on ultra hard and I skipped all the cutscenes. There's very little gameplay in the story of that game once you remove all the narrative and cutscenes from it, it's pretty shocking. You can go through the story of that game in about 8 hours and maybe only 4 of those hours is actual gameplay intensive where you're in combat and doing what you want to be doing and the rest is just running around getting from cutscene to cutscene. The majority of the gameplay in these games are the side content but the side content is all the same crap you do in every other open world game. I guess I'm starting to feel that open-world formula fatigue that people talk about. 

It's still a good game and looks fantastic if you're the graphics snob type but it's ultimately a rehash of many other games just like it, mainly other Sony exclusives and Ubisoft titles. It hits all the same checkmarks. 

For me so far it is the new enemy types and the glidewing, the blight and the Tenkanth and Utaru tribes. I'm not that far only about 15 hours or so. I've been playing on Very Hard for the most part and have been having a wonderful time (even when I get my ass handed to me). I ran into an issue earlier where the game like basically dropped all frames and was completely sluggish/unplayable. But I heard that many other people have experience that also. (I am playing on PS5 - Performance Mode enabled).  Other than that I have no issues with the game. I'm loving it. I even installed/played the PS4 version so I could unlock the "Reach The Daunt" trophy to make sure Sony/PlayStation has to plant 2 trees in support of my achievements. hahahahaha

Edited by JayBizzle311
spelling

Story and world exploration for me have been top-notch. I am taking it really slow and just got past the 1/3rd mark I would say. Really looking forward to what's to come. That said, this game has been pretty buggy for me. I have had several quests bug out, my map markers are not updating right, Aloy falls off of climbing points a lot, audio cuts out, etc. It's all minor things, other than the map that's a real issue, but it's adding up. I dont mind some jank in my games, but for a Sony AAA release I was expecting this to be a little more polished. 

Favorite: Combat, exploration, and discovering the "Old Ones" lore - basically more of everything I loved about the first game. It also looks gorgeous in 4k.

Least favorite: It feels a bit unpolished on the technical side. A decent amount of annoying bugs, many of which persist until I reload the game. I got the "game drops to 5fps for funsies" glitch last night, plus another one where Aloy got hit by an enemy mid-jump and was just awkwardly frozen in midair until I restarted. Climbing and swimming occasionally feel off, too. And a more minor gripe, but I wish Aloy would stop bringing up the damn stash every time I gather resources.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Yeah, could do with a loadouts option as I am constantly moving around gear.

Combat is definitely harder in this than ZD. The game punishes spam dodging.You have to be unpredictable and use slides as well. Sliding is more effective for evading enemy attacks.

I wonder if there's level scaling in this? I'm finding that it's not enough to outlevel quests anymore as even the trashmobs are still dangerous. Human enemies are easy but with machines you really do have to use every tool in your arsenal to take them down. I can take out mammoths in about 3 hits now just using the braced shot technique in the infiltrator skill.

It's super OP, and then when you add your valors and potions you become a powerhouse.

I almost never use the slide in fights unless I need to get underneath an enemy, e.g. Thunderjaw. The reason why I did not use it mostly is because it feels inconsistent and it requires sprinting first which is often not possible given the short amount of time. But after reading this thread and some discussions on reddit, I will try to use it more during fights. Automatic sprint might be beneficial here.

And I will take a look at Braced shot technique.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I found the end of this game to be rather anticlimactic, especially compared to the first game. The final mission in the first game had this grand sense of scale to it as you defended one of the games main areas against an onslaught of machines. The fact that doing certain side quest had slight effects on who would join you during the final mission also added to the scale of the mission. In other words, it truly felt like you had reached the end of the game. In the Forbidden West however, the final mission is just a bunch of machines that you don't have to fight and can just avoid, followed by two bosses that aren't all that different from the rest of the bosses in the game. There is that cutscene in between with all the machines fighting each other, but it's just a cutscene. Having that part be playable would have given off a greater sense that game has coming to an end. I wonder if the game being cross gen had something to do with that. After that, the game just ends on a cliffhanger. I know the first game also had a cliffhanger, but something about that ending felt more complete. I still like the game it's just that when I finished it I was like, "Wait, that's it?"

Bad

I dislike the food mechanic. More resource hunting for mild bonuses.

I can't pay-to-win at Machine Strike.

I really dislike the "backpack" mechanic. I had about 10 things in it before I figured out how to unequip some. 

The game is huuuuuge, and that means a lot of bleh sidequests. But now I know why it was a 80+GB install. 

Inability to skip through some dialogue scenes. Not skip entirely, just skip to the next spoken part. I read faster than they speak, and I got Stormbirds to hunt yo. 

The variety of weapons. I just want my bow, tripcaster, and my "shotgun"*, but they keep throwing spears, boltcasters, and garbage ass shredder launchers.  

*"Shotgun" known as Tearblaster isn't in the game as far as I can see. And it makes hunting parts hard, but highlighting the rare breakable parts somewhat offsets this.

The skill also sucks. I want more passives not useless abilities. 

Hunting ground trials.

Good

More variety of armor looks, but its a shame you can't have one for effects/bonuses and one for the looks. 

The variety of gameplay approach to combat. It's still just as good as the first.

How approachable the game is for anyone to pick up and go. Especially when it comes to the trophies, they ask you to do a small sample of everything, and then you decide how much more you're gonna do.

The story is going where I speculated a 3rd game to go. I wasn't expecting it in the 2nd. 

One of those situations where I want to 100% the map but everything left are things I don't like. Last time I looked I was 80%ish map completion according to the stats.

I think I've done every side quest and errand and nearly maxed out the skill tree. I upgraded loads of my weapons as well and was super OP by the end (the final boss probably took a minute, if that to beat). Only have to win all the races, all machine strikes and all arena challenges for 100%.

I was enjoying the arena up until the final challenge in the first tier where it took away all your weapons and gave you a bunch of crap ones and a valor of the game's choice. Very insulting to the time I spent grinding and upgrading my weapons. Also, the best weapons are locked behind the arena which  almost feels suspiciously like the sort of thing you'd see in a microtransactions- ridden Ubisoft game...

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the open world and the story. I even learned to tolerate the climbing lol

I hope there's a new game plus like last time and more DLCs.

It's interesting that people like the melee, I absolutely hate it in this game. I never really used it in HZD, and it feels significantly more forced in this game. I just finished all the rebel camps today and I literally just brute forced my way through it where as in HZD I feel like it was more tactical and methodical for me personally.

The melee pit challenges are the bane of my existence and imo the toughest trophies in the game by far. There was a point where I didn't even think I was going to get the platinum anymore since I literally couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. After 4-5 hours I finally got through them but if someone asked me to do it for them, I'm fully convinced it would take me the same amount of time if not longer to pull it off. Either the commands don't make sense or Aloy isn't doing what I want her to. Easily some of the least fun I've ever had in a video game. 

The climbing is a little bit janky which would normally be whatever but in a post Assassins Creed world, I think climbing should feel at least as good as those games do.

The last thing and this isn't really a complaint I don't think but I don't think "levels" matter in this game. I mean yeah I'm playing it on normal so nothing crazy but the first time you fight the tremortusk, I think the mission level was like 17-18 (I was like 20) and I died like 15 times (no joke) before I just decided I would go back and try something else so I spent like an hour or two just upgrading my gear, getting the tear arrows, etc. Came back 1 level higher but better gear and more prepared and took it down on my first attempt. It was in that moment I think I finally "learned" the game but came to the quick realization that levelling is kind of irrelevant. It might give you access to better gear from the hunter shops? Idk, but it definitely matters what kind of load out you have and how far those are levelled. 

Finally, tying the fast travel packs to resources is really annoying as well. I literally just go to the base, then use the campfire there to FT to wherever I want to go. Since its on PS5 it isn't like a huge deal but it is so cumbersome that it makes me wonder what compelled them to make this a feature. 

I love everything else about the game though. The side missions have the quality of the main missions and honestly you're really doing yourself a disservice if you don't go out of your way to do them. After the last story cauldron, roaming the world is so much more fun. Obviously the game is beautiful and going to your base and talking to the other characters really give me a Mass Effect vibe, right down to their "loyalty" missions. I still have the final mission left, but they should have made those mandatory before completing the final level imo.

Guerrilla made some weird design decisions in this game for me personally and I feel like if I didn't like the game so much then I wouldn't really think about it but the game is so damn good that when it isn't it is way more frustrating than games that seemingly have more issues. I think this is also why when it seemed like people reviewing the game had negative comments to say about the game, there are  a couple of really glaring issues that I feel like you can't just help talk about it, especially when the rest of the game is so damn good. 

Edit: Idk if anyone else felt this way but at times I kind of wish the game gave me an FOV slider. There are times when I'm fighting so many robots that I'm just dodging around, everything feels kind of mushed up and claustrophobic that maybe an FOV slider would fix some of those issues. Maybe... Its not a deal breaker but I feel like it would help

Edited by PandemicOdin

5 hours ago, PandemicOdin said:

The last thing and this isn't really a complaint I don't think but I don't think "levels" matter in this game. I mean yeah I'm playing it on normal so nothing crazy but the first time you fight the tremortusk, I think the mission level was like 17-18 (I was like 20) and I died like 15 times (no joke) before I just decided I would go back and try something else so I spent like an hour or two just upgrading my gear, getting the tear arrows, etc. Came back 1 level higher but better gear and more prepared and took it down on my first attempt. It was in that moment I think I finally "learned" the game but came to the quick realization that levelling is kind of irrelevant. It might give you access to better gear from the hunter shops? Idk, but it definitely matters what kind of load out you have and how far those are levelled. 

I'm convinced that either there is level scaling in this or that enemies/bosses are always higher than what the mission says it is and the mission level is just the bare minimum you need to be to take them on (I heard the final boss is actually level 45 but I was level 50 when I took it on). The levelling reminds me of Assassin's Creed Odyssey in that this game doesn't allow you to cheese it by just doing a bunch of open world activities and outscaling bosses so that they're trivial. Rather, the levels serve to give you the additional ability and skill points needed to better deal with threats. Getting the braced shot, for instance, (the infiltrator skill tree is low key underrated) was a game changer. I don't even use most elementals or tear arrows to rip off armour anymore because the braced shot technique just one shots everything, and with the Oseram gear I have which has high stamina and high stamina regen coupled with lots of stamina potions I can do it infinitely. That said, Ultra Nightmare is gonna be really tough this time round.

Dislikes:

1) Machine Strike...just not for me. A crappy version of chess with the high ground. It's no Gwent that's for sure. 

2) Enemies know where I'm rolling to before I even roll there or they have homing weapons. Something's not right. This needs patched. 

3) Path is blocked....it takes the exploring fun out of it. (Firegleam, underwater sections and metal flowers) I just love doing a level 15 side mission where I'm missing a tool I need even though the main story line I've done is beyond level 22. Who designed that crap? My advice is to just progress the main story mission until you can get all the "tools" and then completely backtrack. 

4) My weapons all suck and I'm about 20 hours in. To upgrade them, it's asking me for a machine part for a machine I've never seen yet. No shops have the parts to buy either. 

5) Way too much talking for me. The main story mission cutscenes and follow up dialogue trees can take over 45 minutes to an hour. Just wish Aloy could kill the majority of NPC's in her way instead of running errands for them. If it's truly the end of the world with a just a few months of life expectancy, get out of her way and let her slay. Story lines have a lot of wokeness to them so be prepared but it's not a deal breaker...I knew what I was getting into. 

6) Vista points. After spending too much time trying to find the right spot (her audio clues suck by the way) I finally caved and just started watching YouTube videos of where to stand. 

1) Sending extra items to a storage locker automatically. Huge upgrade from the 1st game

2) Combat and new machine types

3) Being able to glide down 

4) Game looks amazing. Visuals are top notch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I'm convinced that either there is level scaling in this or that enemies/bosses are always higher than what the mission says it is and the mission level is just the bare minimum you need to be to take them on (I heard the final boss is actually level 45 but I was level 50 when I took it on). The levelling reminds me of Assassin's Creed Odyssey in that this game doesn't allow you to cheese it by just doing a bunch of open world activities and outscaling bosses so that they're trivial. Rather, the levels serve to give you the additional ability and skill points needed to better deal with threats. Getting the braced shot, for instance, (the infiltrator skill tree is low key underrated) was a game changer. I don't even use most elementals or tear arrows to rip off armour anymore because the braced shot technique just one shots everything, and with the Oseram gear I have which has high stamina and high stamina regen coupled with lots of stamina potions I can do it infinitely. That said, Ultra Nightmare is gonna be really tough this time round.

So the level of the bosses/machines I don't think they necessarily scale. I think each machine has a set level because if you go into the glossary it tells you what the level is and obviously become harder to kill if you have to fight an Apex version of it. So the Temortusk for example is a level 35 machine (whatever thats even worth in this game) and the first time you encounter it if you just main-lined and went in with the designated level, you'd be around 17-20 which is why I found that mission frustrating. 

My assumption is that it was Guerilla's way of making you actually learn the mechanics of the game instead of just cheesing it and at the time I felt annoyed with it but came to appreciate that it happened that way. I started taking more time to level my weapons, fight different machines for parts, optimizing my load outs a little more, etc... It is funny because AC does a lot of that to, but in those games Destiny, anything where you have a power level. You kind of (or at least I do), just wait until you get a legendary item and just keep using resources to upgrade that but in this game if you're not constantly spending time upgrading your weapons then the game is significantly more challenging. Obviously getting the parts can be a challenge in itself but its a mechanic that I really began to appreciate. 

I will say, there are few instances in this game where the it kind of throws a "boss" at you at the beginning of the level which I really appreciate because if you don't feel ready you can just back out really easily. Nothing worse than playing a level for 45 mins and then getting to a machine that is just beating your ass.

I was in LOVE with the Zero Dawn and its story, the mystery, the search for Aloy's origin and maybe her mother.... also gameplay wise and content/side quests, the game was solid.

But this Forbidden West game ...

+++ graphics and presentation is 11/10, probably best graphics ever in any game?

~ the melee is better than previous game, it's ok imo

~ the weapon skills are kind of nice but the stamina is sometimes a problem

- the game is bloated beyond anything I have ever seen

- the climbing is not fun, she stops a lot for no clear reason

- the mounts are not fun, they stop running for the most minuscule thing on the ground

- i have 478 weapons in my inventory .. i use like 5 of them, again bloated

- i have 333 tools in my dpad menu (40 bombs, 33 potions, 59 other stuff i don't even now), again bloated

- 20 valor skills, ok i'm exaggerating numbers here, but what the actual f**k, you can only use 1 at a time anyway... who constantly goes into their skills page to change it according to the situation

- it all feels so senseless, i have very little connection with anybody in this game, even Erend is not really likeable now, he's protrayed like a dumb simple (but loyal) man

- why is this Zo character suddenly a main npc ... dno it kinda annoys me for some reason

- all these unga bunga tribes .. i could not care less .. i mean we had the amazing city MERIDIAN in the first game lmao, now we get huts and silly clans

- why does everyone have focuses in this game ... it's too much. i'm the hero with the second sight, not you ffs :P

- icons on the map, too bloated, ofcourse, but the gleam icons sometimes stay on the map if you did them

- aloy constantly says all solutions to puzzles and is always muttering to herself, often much too quiet

- too much looting, too much parts, too much stuff to collect to upgrade, ....

- the board game, and it's needed for platinum. like really

- a lot more i'm forgetting right now

I'm not really loving this game at the moment, just feels like chores to me.

Feels like they put EVERYTHING in the game they could think of. Yes that includes racing on mounts now. Gotta have races man. And cooking. Yes yes the cooking.

It's just all too much for me right now and thus it all feels meaningless. Maybe I'll change my opinion about the game when I finished the main story (53% game prgression right now) but from the things I read here and there, I doubt it.

Edited by DwayneHawkins
  • Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 8:45 PM, TrophyHuntLady said:

The thing I dislike the most is a map thing of not having green(discovered) campfires anymore. Don’t like having white icons because it makes me think I haven’t gotten it yet. But everything else in the game is amazing!!!

Totally agree with that !

I'll keep mine short by just saying what I dislike, as overall I love pretty much everything so far.

Dislike:

The added weapon variety.

In the first game I only ran like 3 weapons max, to cover each elemental damage. I never used traps / tripcaster. So adding in the warrior bow, sling, spears, all while keeping in the elements is just a bloated weapon system to me. I don't like it at all and it's my #1 issue with the game.

Aloy jumping / climbing.

The consistency is just kinda meh, it's not bad, but it's not good. I find myself thinking "just go up, UP!" more often than not.

Loot nodes respawning.

Small thing, but after unlocking the ability to destroy walls with the fire detonation, I start going around clearing them. Start playing again and they're all back on the mini map. Little bit annoying.

Other than that I have no issues, fantastic story and gameplay.

Edited by Skurkitty

What I like..
-I like that they expanded the combat system with some new weapon types.  I find the new javelin weapon to be the most fun weapon in the game and its quite satisfying to blow things up with explosive tipped javelins. 

-I like the expanded machine variety and their attempts to deepen the combat system. 

-The open world looks great and the water in particular is the best I've ever seen in a video game. 

-Tearing apart machines is still just as fun as it was in the first game. 

-The main quests are generally pretty entertaining.

-The dynamic music is very good and some particular tracks were extremely memorable and enhanced the experience greatly during the main quests

As for what I dislike..
-I think the gauntlet races are incredibly poorly designed.  Almost none of the mechanics seem to be fair or work properly.  Even when I was winning I don't know why or if it was something I could repeat at will.  There is absolutely nothing fun about them.

-I really don't like enemies that spam ranged attacks from offscreen.  I don't feel like Aloy has any proper tools to deal with that.  It is very apparent that this is a problem in the combat system when doing the tideripper+double snapmaw fight in the arena.  It is stunlock city if you do not remove that water sprinkler or allow the snapmaws to shoot frost bombs at you.  This happens regularly just out in the wilds if multiple ranged attackers like elemental clawstriders, snapmaw, clamberjaw, red eye watcher, shellsnapper.. etc type enemies start fighting you.  Sometimes the only option is to just burn through heals or use a smoke bomb and reset the fight so you can pick things off.

-Machine strike starts off kinda fun but the game isn't deep enough for my liking.  I beat every machine strike opponent in the game from intermediate and above with the same setup.  2x Snapmaw and 2x Skydrifter.  I used the same strategy every time and it always worked.  I'd just spread 1 snapmaw and 1 skydrifter on each side.. then move up and try to corner the AI into moving into a bad position preferably by taking the mountains away from them.  I'd always go for their highest power pieces first as well since the goal is to get to 7, you don't want them to have their strong piece at the end when they can move it twice.  The balance among the different strike pieces sucks.  Snapmaw is basically just as good as shellsnapper or tideripper with its 3x range and pull.  Most of the special abilities in machine strike are useless and anything that has 1 attack range is useless.  The game is completely about map control and cornering the AI so you don't want things that aren't good at that.

-Most of the errands and side quest activities are lame.  Not many of them stood out to me or felt like a good time compared to the main quests.  Cauldrons/Relic Ruins were generally fun but some of the box puzzles got a little tedious.  I don't like how much time it takes to pull things around with the pullcaster to solve some of those.

-Human enemies are still unfun to fight as in the first game.  Every outpost feels like a waste of time to clear.

-Takes too many resources to upgrade gear to the extent that I don't want to upgrade anything unless I am sure its a staple item because it can take many hours to get enough parts since I don't want to play on story mode with easy loot.

-Disappearing resources on the ground after fighting machines.  If in the middle of a quest and any cutscene plays at the end of the fight, everything except the corpse will disappear.  Apex rockbreakers never drop their claw items when shooting off the feet.  Some items just disappear entirely for no reason or get blown away so far it can't be found.

-The story is worse than Horizon Zero Dawn and I am unhappy with the direction it went.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 1

Not going to add much here as I agree with most of the likes and dislikes already posted, but a couple of things I see as missing from an otherwise fantastic game:

• Lack of customization for weapons: It would be great if as players unlock certain kinds of ammos, players could create customize weapons to include the new ammo types. For example, I would love to add tear blast arrows to a legendary sharpshot bow that doesn't use them instead of the regular plasma and advanced plasma that it has (why both?). My favorite hunting bow has an arrow type I never use (the targeting ammo to direct overridden machines at others), but I would replace it with fire/frost/shock arrows if I could.
  • What happened to the Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) ? Why have they suddenly disappeared from the world? One of my favorite moments from HZD was the first encounter with a Sawtooth. The sound it makes when it walks, the low growl when it's searching for where an attack came from... it was just a perfect, iconic introduction to combat machines, and it's now suddenly gone.
  • I haven't found a good reason to use canister harpoons. Feels completely unnecesary when most machines have components that you can use to create elemental effect you're looking for, but that might just be me. Love the spike throwers and bolt blasters though.
  • The extended dodge roll from HZD is sorely missed.

Favorite new machine to fight: Dreadwing. Much more fun than this game's version of Stormbirds, who now only seem to attack by divebombing after removal of their lightning cannon, which make them extremely annoying to fight even with a strong ropecaster. 

I've only spent an hour or two with the game so far, but I can already tell you the graphics on this game are amazing. Sadly, that's the only positive thing I can think to say.

Negatives are everywhere. Dialog is inorganic, camera is wonky, climbing is unresponsive (the entire control scheme needs an overhaul beyond custom mapping), interactive objects in the world need better contrast against the environment, resource gathering is like a bad mini-game, combat feels rigid...it's a lot of criticism considering how much I enjoyed HZD.

Gonna give it some more time today, but my initial thoughts were "whoa, this is not fun".

Worst parts for me were definitely the hunting grounds, arena and melee pits, I absolutely HATE anything with a time limit. In the end I chose to just change the difficulty to Story to get them over with.

Best part was the combat, it was still just as fun as in Zero Dawn. Fighting the machines and tearing off armor and components is very satisfying.

Overall, although the game improves on many aspects from the first one the story wasn't as good as in the previous title, it just didn't have that sense of wonder that Zero Dawn had. Overall if HZD was a 10/10 game for me, HFW might be 8/10.

++ Graphics

++ Open World Design and Scope 

+ Characters (writing, voice acting)

+ Story (quality and length)

+ Elemental ranged combat 

+ Enemy variety 

- Towns are exact replicas of each other, just different aesthetic. Not unique problem to HFW but gets boring.

- Traversal is clunky, feel like I’m rubber banded up vertical traversal routes and loads of “that wasn’t what I was inputting” deaths

- Cauldrons were a bit convoluted rather than challenging or puzzle-based

- - Awful Melee Combat controls (combos, dodging). As others have said it feels off

Game falls into the “pretty good” category rather than great for me. Open world, characters story and enemy variety is great but something is wrong with the combat, and various other issues listed above. In my opinion it’s a little overrated, but I wouldn’t describe it as a disappointment either.