Wonder Boy Collection coming to PS4

MidnightDragon

Wonder Boy Collection, which includes four retro Wonder Boy games, has been announced for PS4. No date given.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/02/wonder-boy-collection-announced-for-ps4-switch

Celebrating the beloved adventures of Wonder Boy!

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the adventures of Wonder Boy have delighted gamers of different generations and built up a huge following all over the world with their dazzling blend of energetic platforming and action RPG. Since its first launch Wonder Boy has seen many sequels and remakes of the original game. However, the Wonder Boy games have seen very limited release in the west on modern gaming hardware— until now! To celebrate the legacy of this iconic game series, we are creating a carefully curated collection of essential titles of the Wonder Boy series, precisely ported to today’s home consoles and including extended features!

With the Wonder Boy Collection, Wonder Boy fans get a total of four games of one of the most influential series from gaming’s past. Coming boxed and digital! Including:

Wonder Boy (1986) – Help Boy to rescue his girlfriend Tina, who got captured by the evil King. Guide him carefully through different areas and battle the devious enemies that await you on your quest. Use a variety of items that help Boy on his adventure. Face the evil King in various battles to reach your aim and rescue Tina!

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (1987) – Years after the adventures of Wonder Boy the beautiful peace in Wonder Land was destroyed once again by the invasion of a dragon with its evil monsters turning Wonder Land into Monster Land. Help Book to fight the monsters, defeat the dragon and restore the peace for the land and its people again. On your journey, you can collect equipment and magical spells to help you in your battles. But beware – every round has a time limit so you got to be quick!

Wonder Boy in Monster World (1991) – Guide the young adventurous Shion and help him on his quest to defeat the evil BioMeka and his army of monsters that are threatening the land. However, Shion is not alone! Accompanied by the 4 spirits Priscilla, Hotta, Shabo and Lotta, he explores the different regions of Monster Land. Collect money, weapons, armor and magic spells to get stronger and defeat the evil!

Monster World IV (1994) – The young girl named Asha sets out on her mission to save the four spirits that were captured by the evil wizards. With the help of Asha’s loyal companion Pepelogoo, they overcome every obstacle and fight their way through various enemies!

Key Features

• Four of the most iconic Wonder Boy games ever released.
  • Filter and shader.
  • Rewind / fast forward option.
  • Save anytime option.
  • Beautiful art gallery.
  • Fantastic blend of platforming and RPG action.
  • Nostalgic with vibrant pixel art and crisp chiptune audio.
  • Simple and welcoming for new players.
  • Enough fun, depth and challenges to captivate even the most skilled gamer.

Definitely see myself getting this.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 3

I noticed this go up a few days ago on Amazon. According to my order, it's releasing 3rd June, but it could just be a placeholder.

I initially thought this was just a collection of all the currently released Wonder Boy games on PS4 (e.g. Dragon's Trap remake, Monster World 4 remake, Monster Boy), but was pleasantly surprised to see it's a collection of the older games. It's especially nice to see the original Monster World IV will be getting a wider release than it just being a bonus with the remake, and getting a physical release to boot.

I am disappointed to see no Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair yet again however. Seems it's doomed to remain on nothing but Steam forever as far as being able to obtain it (legally) in the modern era goes anyway.

19 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I am disappointed to see no Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair yet again however. Seems it's doomed to remain on nothing but Steam forever as far as being able to obtain it (legally) in the modern era goes anyway.

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair is actually on the SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics, just loaded it up and can see it now, at least on the EU version.

2 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair is actually on the SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics, just loaded it up and can see it now, at least on the EU version.

Seems you're right, not sure how I ever missed this. But that's good to know I already own it then, whenever I get around to my Mega Drive Classics collection that is.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/03/wonder-boy-anniversary-collection-pre-orders-open-march-6

So Strictly/ININ are releasing a different version of this collection, in limited quantities, with 2 more games than the standard retail physical, plus 21 different versions of all the games overall.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with SLG so despite this being a more complete collection, I'm staying far away from it. Not to even mention just how scummy this is... Why even release a version of the game with less content?

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 1

Here is the description from the Strictly Limited:

Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection, officially licensed PlayStation 4 game. Manual included.

Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 49.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 2000 copies worldwide. We ship internationally.

There has never been a Wonder Boy collection quite like this!

Featuring 21 versions of six of the most iconic Wonder Boy games ever released, this incredible compilation brings the influential platformer series to today’s hardware. Through the 1980s and 1990s the Wonder Boy series gained a vast cult following thanks to its distinct blend of energetic platforming, action-RPG elements, and even shoot ‘em up gameplay. And now you can enjoy a diverse spread of the Wonder Boy games that have left a powerful legacy throughout gaming, from the 1986 arcade original to 1994’s Monster World IV.

Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection brings the series up-to-date with precise ports for today’s hardware, and new features such as the ability to rewind your game at any moment.

Whether you're a retro devotee wanting to catch up on this important piece of gaming history, a Wonder Boy fan looking to play your favourites on cutting edge hardware or are simply looking to experience the very best in nostalgic gameplay, Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection is about as essential as it gets.

Features:

• Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy The Dragon‘s Trap, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV in a total of 21 ports
  • An unrivaled Wonder Boy collection for true retro gamers
  • Every title expertly ported to modern consoles, with extended features like filter, shader, a rewind option and an art gallery!
  • Revisit one of the most unique, important platformers of the 1980s and 1990s
  • Get your nostalgia on with crisp chiptune audio and perfect pixel art

Includes 21 Versions:

Original Title Version Console Port
Wonder Boy International/Western Arcade (SYSTEM 1)
Wonder Boy JP SG-1000
Super Wonder Boy JP Master System / Sega MARK III
Wonder Boy International/Western Master System / Sega MARK III
Revenge of Drancon (Wonder Boy) International/Western Game Gear
Wonder Boy JP Game Gear
Wonder Boy in Monster Land International/Western Arcade (SYSTEM 2)
Wonder Boy in Monster Land International/Western Master System
Wonder Boy in Monster Land JP Arcade (SYSTEM 2)
Super Wonder Boy: Monster World JP Master System / Sega MARK III
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap International/Western Game Gear
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap International/Western Master System
Monster World II (Dragon's Trap) JP Master System / Sega MARK III
Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap JP Game Gear
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair International/Western Arcade (SYSTEM 16)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair International/Western Mega Drive / Genesis
Wonder Boy in Monster World International/Western Master System / Sega MARK III
Wonder Boy in Monster World International/Western Mega Drive / Genesis
Wonder Boy V: Monster World III JP Mega Drive
Monster World IV International/Western Mega Drive / Genesis
Monster World IV JP Mega Drive

Please note: This is a preorder. We expect this game to ship in September/Oktober. You will receive order updates as soon as we receive the games and start shipping.

This game has yet to be rated by the German Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body (USK). There is no age rating printed or stickered on the box.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 1:56 AM, MercilessWaffle said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/03/wonder-boy-anniversary-collection-pre-orders-open-march-6

So Strictly/ININ are releasing a different version of this collection, in limited quantities, with 2 more games than the standard retail physical, plus 21 different versions of all the games overall.

I've had a lot of bad experiences with SLG so despite this being a more complete collection, I'm staying far away from it. Not to even mention just how scummy this is... Why even release a version of the game with less content?

Just curious to know what sort of bad experiences you've had with SLG? The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating ordering the anniversary edition from them

11 hours ago, RoastedPeanut said:

Just curious to know what sort of bad experiences you've had with SLG? The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating ordering the anniversary edition from them

Off the top of my head:

I waited about 10 months for one of their games to ship, and despite it shipping in a box with decent protection, with no visible damage to the box, there was a hole in the plastic at the top of the case (PS4 game). I contacted them about it, and they did offer a partial refund, but I have no idea how it would have been damaged in transit, and it kind of seemed like it was broken before they even packaged it.

On another occasion, they somehow forgot to ship one of my orders. I only noticed because I was checking their production updates to see if there was any news on when to expect one of my games, only for it to state all orders had shipped. I contacted them, they apologised and told me it must have "slipped through somehow", and dispatched it within a week after that. Never had a company forget to ship an order previously or since.

And finally, because Clockwork Aquario ended up getting a retail Japanese physical, and because it came out before I even received my copy from SLG (which I had ordered a year ago at that point), I asked if I could cancel it. They agreed with no issues, but a few days passed and I noticed I didn't receive the refund despite getting a refund confirmation email. I contacted them again, and they apologised and told me they hadn't noticed I made the order over a year ago, so it would have to be refunded manually. I eventually got the refund, but it wasn't the full amount, I assume maybe because the currency conversation from Euros to GBP had changed.

I ended up losing around £5 on something I never received, which isn't a huge loss, but still made me all the more cautious about ordering from them in the future. Especially when so many of their games do end up getting standard retail physicals later anyway (like Deathsmiles is getting now, in Europe and America), and a lot of the time, the retail versions release before you receive your copy from SLG, even if you ordered it over a year ago.

They take forever in general to ship games with little communication on what's happening with them. That's pretty standard for most of these limited print game companies, but the standard wait for them nowadays seems to be 10-12+ months. Their version of the Turrican anthologies went up for sale in August 2020, and last I heard, customers have still not received them.

Only positive I'll give them is that their customer support is pretty helpful and quick to respond.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MercilessWaffle said:

Off the top of my head:

I waited about 10 months for one of their games to ship, and despite it shipping in a box with decent protection, with no visible damage to the box, there was a hole in the plastic at the top of the case (PS4 game). I contacted them about it, and they did offer a partial refund, but I have no idea how it would have been damaged in transit, and it kind of seemed like it was broken before they even packaged it.

On another occasion, they somehow forgot to ship one of my orders. I only noticed because I was checking their production updates to see if there was any news on when to expect one of my games, only for it to state all orders had shipped. I contacted them, they apologised and told me it must have "slipped through somehow", and dispatched it within a week after that. Never had a company forget to ship an order previously or since.

And finally, because Clockwork Aquario ended up getting a retail Japanese physical, and because it came out before I even received my copy from SLG (which I had ordered a year ago at that point), I asked if I could cancel it. They agreed with no issues, but a few days passed and I noticed I didn't receive the refund despite getting a refund confirmation email. I contacted them again, and they apologised and told me they hadn't noticed I made the order over a year ago, so it would have to be refunded manually. I eventually got the refund, but it wasn't the full amount, I assume maybe because the currency conversation from Euros to GBP had changed.

I ended up losing around £5 on something I never received, which isn't a huge loss, but still made me all the more cautious about ordering from them in the future. Especially when so many of their games do end up getting standard retail physicals later anyway (like Deathsmiles is getting now, in Europe and America), and a lot of the time, the retail versions release before you receive your copy from SLG, even if you ordered it over a year ago.

They take forever in general to ship games with little communication on what's happening with them. That's pretty standard for most of these limited print game companies, but the standard wait for them nowadays seems to be 10-12+ months. Their version of the Turrican anthologies went up for sale in August 2020, and last I heard, customers have still not received them.

Only positive I'll give them is that their customer support is pretty helpful and quick to respond.

Thanks for getting back to me :D

Hmmm sounds like a lot of stupid errors on their part. My biggest concern is delays. I see it has a November shipping release. I don't want to have it shipped to China where I've been living for the past 3 years, but I'm aiming to spend a month back home in Australia for Christmas. It's probably a huge gamble to hope for it to ship on time and arrive before I leave again for who knows how long again. 

Oh well, I'll think about it. I really do like all the physical extras and I'm a huge Wonder Boy fan soooooo we'll see :). Thanks again!