Is there a better way to grind to level 50 after the story?

SublimeHawk

I've unlocked all other trophies and I'm still only level 47. I've also done all the side quests and errands that are available to me. I'm only getting around 5k XP a kill from Fireclaws, and they take a while to kill even on Story difficulty. The trophy guide from PowerPyx says you should be at level 50 after going for all the other trophies - that wasn't the case for me. There's quite a bit of a grind to get to 50 after doing everything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SublimeHawk said:

I've unlocked all other trophies and I'm still only level 47. I've also done all the side quests and errands that are available to me. I'm only getting around 5k XP a kill from Fireclaws, and they take a while to kill even on Story difficulty. The trophy guide from PowerPyx says you should be at level 50 after going for all the other trophies - that wasn't the case for me. There's quite a bit of a grind to get to 50 after doing everything else.

An easy way to grind out the last few levels quickly is to drop the difficulty to story and go to the hunting ground called the raintrace. There will be a tremmortusk there for every challenge. Do the one where you need to knock off its heavy weapons and kill the other 3 enemies. You'll get around 6-7k per run and it should only take you a minute or 2. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SublimeHawk said:

I'm only getting around 5k XP a kill from Fireclaws, and they take a while to kill even on Story difficulty.

Behemoth convoys in the desert around the Poseidon are great source of xp. You can kill some Slitherfangs too, while they respawn. 

10 minutes ago, BioDogPS said:

I don't really understand how you're playing the game. Did you just mainline through all the quests and trophy checklist stuff to get the trophy as quickly as possible?

Most of the side content is boring. It is as simple as that. You can also get tired of combat and climbing by that point, like I did. I've completed around 60% side quest and errands and decided it would be best to grind from 47 to 49,5 for twenty minutes then touch anything else. The rest I got from the finale. 

Edited by Akrioz

3 hours ago, BioDogPS said:

I don't really understand how you're playing the game. Did you just mainline through all the quests and trophy checklist stuff to get the trophy as quickly as possible? I'm at level 40 and my game completion is at 47.17%. I've done less than half the stuff there is to do in the game and have yet to even see San Fransisco.

If you need XP, just play the game. Go around and fill in all the uncompleted locations on your map.

gotta x2 this I've reached lv50 around 75% through the story

I mean the gameplay loop related to combat is pretty fun... Just do a couple of side missions at least for the companions late game they drop 5-digit XP's.

Scavenger contracts for Oseram camps are usually pretty straightforward and short if you fast travel to the location and get the parts you need. Talanah side quest is also 'short' and simple if you haven't done it already.

15 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Most of the side content is boring. It is as simple as that. You can also get tired of combat and climbing by that point, like I did. I've completed around 60% side quest and errands and decided it would be best to grind from 47 to 49,5 for twenty minutes then touch anything else. The rest I got from the finale. 

Well, if you're only interested in trophies in the game then I guess a lot of things can seem that way. To each his own though. If you're not interested in climbing or combat though, then the side content and collectibles would seem like a better bet to minimize that stuff.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 6:04 AM, Akrioz said:

Behemoth convoys in the desert around the Poseidon are great source of xp. You can kill some Slitherfangs too, while they respawn. 

Yeah this is where the trophy list is at odds with how the devs likely intended people to play the game. Mainlining just the trophy list will always result in people coming up short as far as level 50 goes, because while I think the game is phenomenal, the platinum requirements are trash and actively remove a massive chunk of the game. The solution is simple really - If you can't find a shred of enjoyment in clearing bandit camps, completing errands, challenges, collectibles, jobs and side missions etc, then you'll need to grind robots. I saw you got the 100% now, so, congrats?

Curious to see how this approach might affect people when they undoubtedly introduce a NG+ and difficulty trophy later on and folks have to return to complete the content they bypassed to gear up sufficiently in order to pass the gear/weapons check needed to progress

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

On 2/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I'm level 41  with game completion at 49.03%. Haven't even got Aether or Demeter yet (have only done the Las Vegas quest line). I'll be level 50 well before the game is over. I can't imagine playing this game purely for trophies and doing the bare minimum. You'd be missing out on so much of what is great!

Seriously.  I waited five years for this game and there's no way I'm not riding this train all the way to 100%, platinum or not.

• Like 3

I'd say it's a virtual certainty that there will be dlc for the game - both story DLC as well as a NG+ and higher difficulty added later, as that's pretty much the standard for Sony published AAA games.

You could just wait until those are out - I'm sure they would see you well above the lv.50 mark.

• Like 1

On 25.2.2022 at 7:04 AM, Akrioz said:

Why walk when you can

Spoiler

fly

After getting all the other trophies and beating the main story, I only ended up at Lv. 44 with ~53% game completion. 

It's the easy thing to say, "just play the rest of the game and do more side content etc. for XP" but for many, people aren't enjoying this game enough to warrant doing that. I, for one, am quite relieved the trophy list only requires about 50% completion because this is certainly not a game I'd want to play any more than I'd have to and have no desire to complete the rest of the side content for 100% and to get to Lv. 50. No thank you. I get many are enjoying it and would have no problems doing that but for others, this game was a highly disappointing boring, drivel of a game and the only redemption you get for playing it is a platinum trophy at the end of your troubles. Therefore, the quickest way to get to Lv. 50 is the way to go for us and that is certainly not done by doing more boring, long and drawn out side content. 

With that said, the best way to grind I found are the Apex machines and the larger, heavyweight enemies which will reward you with about 5k XP a kill. The Tremortusk Hunting Ground Trial is definitely a good place to do this as the Tremortusk is a heavyweight and are relatively quick and easy to take down. Otherwise, look for more heavyweight enemy spawn areas on the map in order to grind it out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mega-tallica said:

After getting all the other trophies and beating the main story, I only ended up at Lv. 44 with ~53% game completion. 

It's the easy thing to say, "just play the rest of the game and do more side content etc. for XP" but for many, people aren't enjoying this game enough to warrant doing that. I, for one, am quite relieved the trophy list only requires about 50% completion because this is certainly not a game I'd want to play any more than I'd have to and have no desire to complete the rest of the side content for 100% and to get to Lv. 50. No thank you. I get many are enjoying it and would have no problems doing that but for others, this game was a highly disappointing boring, drivel of a game and the only redemption you get for playing it is a platinum trophy at the end of your troubles. Therefore, the quickest way to get to Lv. 50 is the way to go for us and that is certainly not done by doing more boring, long and drawn out side content. 

With that said, the best way to grind I found are the Apex machines and the larger, heavyweight enemies which will reward you with about 5k XP a kill. The Tremortusk Hunting Ground Trial is definitely a good place to do this as the Tremortusk is a heavyweight and are relatively quick and easy to take down. Otherwise, look for more heavyweight enemy spawn areas on the map in order to grind it out. 

Well, I mean....if you end up not liking it, why not take the hit and put the time you'd waste on this on another title? You are talking like you hate the game but you are somehow obliged to play it for some reason. If it's because you need to get the 100% at all costs, then suck it up and get through it I guess. If completion is a serious thing for you, then maybe try using blank accounts to test a game out, it's a 60-100 hour commitment either way. Not having a go here, but the logic is a bit off.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Well, I mean....if you end up not liking it, why not take the hit and put the time you'd waste on this on another title? You are talking like you hate the game but you are somehow obliged to play it for some reason. If it's because you need to get the 100% at all costs, then suck it up and get through it I guess. If completion is a serious thing for you, then maybe try using blank accounts to test a game out, it's a 60-100 hour commitment either way. Not having a go here, but the logic is a bit off.

Because I really liked the first game and thought this game would be at least equally as good, that's why I decided to play it to begin with. Turned out it wasn't anywhere close to being as good as the first game. Obviously there's worse games out there but compared to the standard of other first party Sony titles, this is easily one of the worst ones yet. The first game was a 9/10, this is one is more like a 5/10, big drop off. Boring story, cutscenes are far too long and drawn out, they somehow made the combat worse by taking away a functioning dodge while every hit you take either stuns you or knocks you down which makes the combat very frustrating and not fun since your one tool of defense for avoiding hits is not is not reliable, the parkour is atrocious and clunky, the side content is all the same generic crap you do in every other open world game, etc etc. That's why I'm so harsh on it. I don't hate it, I'm just massively disappointed in it and the game it turned out to be. The quality of this game is something I'd expect out of Ubisoft, not a first party Sony developer. Judging by the reviews, it ain't just me that feels this way. 

I probably would've aborted this game if it required 100% completion for the platinum but it doesn't. You only have to get 50% so it's too easy and quick of a game to not go for it. 

And as of now, I've already gotten the platinum for it so I'm done with it for the time being until the DLC inevitably comes out. 

Edited by mega-tallica
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

The guy has roughly 65 percent completion on his account. Not at all a completionist by any means.

6 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Because I really liked the first game and thought this game would be at least equally as good, that's why I decided to play it to begin with. Turned out it wasn't anywhere close to being as good as the first game. Obviously there's worse games out there but compared to the standard of other first party Sony titles, this is easily one of the worst ones yet. The first game was a 9/10, this is one is more like a 5/10, big drop off. Boring story, cutscenes are far too long and drawn out, they somehow made the combat worse by taking away a functioning dodge while every hit you take either stuns you or knocks you down which makes the combat very frustrating and not fun since your one tool of defense for avoiding hits is not is not reliable, the parkour is atrocious and clunky, the side content is all the same generic crap you do in every other open world game, etc etc. That's why I'm so harsh on it. I don't hate it, I'm just massively disappointed in it and the game it turned out to be. The quality of this game is something I'd expect out of Ubisoft, not a first party Sony developer. Judging by the reviews, it ain't just me that feels this way. 

I probably would've aborted this game if it required 100% completion for the platinum but it doesn't. You only have to get 50% so it's too easy and quick of a game to not go for it. 

And as of now, I've already gotten the platinum for it so I'm done with it for the time being until the DLC inevitably comes out. 

Unfortunately I already anticipated this weeks before the game even came out. It's why I've been playing older games and think indie games in general are just more fun these days. That's not to say I'm just someone stuck in the past and feels anything new is bad, there's plenty of new stuff that is actually pretty good if you look around a while.

Horizon Forbidden West was highly anticipated, hyped up immensely, has a massive budget going for it... but from everything I've seen on YouTube livestreams and gameplay footage, this game just looks boring.

Really.... I'm just fed up with open world games. All of the cinematics make this feel closer to a Detroit: Become Human or a Heavy Rain instead of a game that keeps you hooked the entire way. Detroit: Become Human actually works because it was intended as an interactive movie, David Cage himself will tell you this. But graphical fidelity really is the best thing Horizon Forbidden West has going for it.

This game was also fully intended for casual audiences who never experienced anything before the PS4/Xbox One era. I actually paid a good chunk of money for an older game from 2009 that I'm more than sure I'll have lots of fun with.

God of War 2018 similarly wasn't anything near as fun as God of War 1 thru 3 were for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The guy has roughly 65 percent completion on his account. Not at all a completionist by any means.

Unfortunately I already anticipated this weeks before the game even came out. It's why I've been playing older games and think indie games in general are just more fun these days. That's not to say I'm just someone stuck in the past and feels anything new is bad, there's plenty of new stuff that is actually pretty good if you look around a while.

Horizon Forbidden West was highly anticipated, hyped up immensely, has a massive budget going for it... but from everything I've seen on YouTube livestreams and gameplay footage, this game just looks boring.

Really.... I'm just fed up with open world games. All of the cinematics make this feel closer to a Detroit: Become Human or a Heavy Rain instead of a game that keeps you hooked the entire way. Detroit: Become Human actually works because it was intended as an interactive movie, David Cage himself will tell you this. But graphical fidelity really is the best thing Horizon Forbidden West has going for it.

This game was also fully intended for casual audiences who never experienced anything before the PS4/Xbox One era. I actually paid a good chunk of money for an older game from 2009 that I'm more than sure I'll have lots of fun with.

God of War 2018 similarly wasn't anything near as fun as God of War 1 thru 3 were for me.

My experience with HZD was really strong, it's a contender for my GOTY 2022 for me personally. But I am right there with you on the open world format, once i'm done with my current playlist, I think i'm going to play a couple of months away from open world games, just to reset my brain a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

My experience with HZD was really strong, it's a contender for my GOTY 2022 for me personally. But I am right there with you on the open world format, once i'm done with my current playlist, I think i'm going to play a couple of months away from open world games, just to reset my brain a little.

Yakuza games have filled that itch of open world, but they're actually fun, a little challenging and rewarding. Loved my time with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, I hope to get the same feeling with Kiwami 2.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

100% agree. The open-world formula every game has nowadays has become so stale and repetitive and Horizon 2 is no different. I've become very fatigued on the whole thing.

And the Sony first party titles specifically have become very narrative driven games and not gameplay driven which in the past generations, it was much more the opposite. I think modern games are great for what they are, they're technical and graphical marvels pushing the boundaries of the newest technology but the games themselves and gameplay pale in comparison to older generations. Mostly the PS2/PS3 era which, in my opinion, was the peak of gameplay creativity and originality especially in the AAA game market. The younger gamer who didn't grow up with those generations and started on the PS4 do have much different perspectives. 

There's always exceptions to the rule and call me crazy, but I enjoyed Dying Light 2 far better than Horizon 2 and I'd have no problems calling Dying Light 2 the current GotY. Many would scoff at that but it's true. Another open-world game but its open world content didn't feel so generic, it felt different and fresh, some of it at least. DL2 also has a lot of dialogue and cutscenes but the gameplay balances it out much better than Horizon 2 does. 

And for the record, I was never really much of a trophy hunter until rather recently hence the low completion percentage. You can scroll through my list of games and clearly see exactly when I started caring more about trophies and when I didn't care at all lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yakuza games have filled that itch of open world, but they're actually fun, a little challenging and rewarding. Loved my time with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, I hope to get the same feeling with Kiwami 2.

I love the Yakuza franchise and despite some frustrating parts, it has a special place in my heart. I'm probably going to start Yakuza 7/Like a Dragon soon, although I hear that is quite the departure from the franchise as far as combat goes.

25 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

There's always exceptions to the rule and call me crazy, but I enjoyed Dying Light 2 far better than Horizon 2 and I'd have no problems calling Dying Light 2 the current GotY. Many would scoff at that but it's true. Another open-world game but its open world content didn't feel so generic, it felt different and fresh, some of it at least. DL2 also has a lot of dialogue and cutscenes but the gameplay balances it out much better than Horizon 2 does. 

And for the record, I was never really much of a trophy hunter until rather recently hence the low completion percentage. You can scroll through my list of games and clearly see exactly when I started caring more about trophies and when I didn't care at all lol. 

I absolutely loved Dying Light 2 but I decided to pause on it until they could patch it a bit more. I think I got unlucky with some bugs, will it jostle HZD off the top spot for my personal GOTY when I'm done with it? Who knows! HZD will have alot of competition for me this year, so we'll see how long it can retain its position for me.

And yeah, looking at your profile now I can definitely see the point where you started to care more about trophies ?

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

22 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

100% agree. The open-world formula every game has nowadays has become so stale and repetitive and Horizon 2 is no different. I've become very fatigued on the whole thing.

And the Sony first party titles specifically have become very narrative driven games and not gameplay driven which in the past generations, it was much more the opposite. I think modern games are great for what they are, they're technical and graphical marvels pushing the boundaries of the newest technology but the games themselves and gameplay pale in comparison to older generations. Mostly the PS2/PS3 era which, in my opinion, was the peak of gameplay creativity and originality especially in the AAA game market. The younger gamer who didn't grow up with those generations and started on the PS4 do have much different perspectives. 

Yeah I mean, the Decima Engine is awesome. For anyone that don't know what that is, it's basically the game engine used to make Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Horizon Forbidden West.

Death Stranding looks spectacular, but like Horizon Forbidden West, likely plays rather dull for me. I admired and respected Hideo Kojima for a very long time, but I don't think even he will convince me to get Death Stranding. I'm just tapped out on most open world games.

It's funny that Hideo Kojima was an exception because his old games were very cinematic, trying to emulate the writing of a Hollywood mainstream movie back in a time when games were more focused on delivering the old school God of War like experience. Story was sort of there as flavor text for most games, but Kojima went above and beyond which made him stand out. Now it's like every other massive AAA experience is practically hours upon hours of cutscenes in a giant open world.

Horizon Forbidden West does look spectacular much like Death Stranding before it, but I'm just going to bow out and admit that these games really aren't for me. I get bored far too easily when they have to throw endless cinematic cutscenes while doing little in the gameplay department.

I still enjoyed God of War 2018 because it was Kratos after all, but it was clear the times had changed and the marketing was clearly aimed at the younger generation.

It also doesn't help that these modern day trophy lists are dull and lack any real imagination. No actual challenge for a lot of first party Sony titles but even if you crank up the difficulty regardless of trophies, it tends to be a joke. It's like when Ubisoft decided that they just make enemies two - three shot you on the highest difficulty, while everything else remains the same.

I loved HZD and I like HFW even more. Here is a short thread on why I like the world of Horizon so much.

If you are sold on the world, they do a very good job with their side quests to make the experience even richer. Though I must admit, the first time I played HZD, there was something very unsettling about the facial animations, to a point where every character looked inhuman. They improved that in this one, although there is still something that looks very plasticky. The other thing that didn't help HZD with first impressions are that you are given a shitty weapon that won't help you with the combat past the first few machines. And if you don't upgrade it soon enough, or miss out on the sharpshot bow, you will struggle with the combat a lot. The starting weapon in HFW is feasible.

18 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Boring story, cutscenes are far too long and drawn out, they somehow made the combat worse by taking away a functioning dodge while every hit you take either stuns you or knocks you down which makes the combat very frustrating and not fun since your one tool of defense for avoiding hits is not is not reliable, the parkour is atrocious and clunky, the side content is all the same generic crap you do in every other open world game, etc etc.

I have been playing on very hard, and I feel like the combat is pretty refined in this one, compared to the first one. You get a ton of iFrames on dodges and if you time it right, you can avoid getting hit by almost all machine. There are a couple of machines who have unfair attacks, but that's very rare. Also there are a ton of options to take down a machine and a lot of room for creativity. Just leaving a link to this video which just shows why this combat system shines in these games. Although it's from HZD, you can be creative to apply the same strategies in HFW, and have fun with it.

There will be open world fatigue towards the end, but there is a nice addition to the way you traverse the open world that it feels good. Overall, this is a very optimized version of the traditional open world formula introduced by GTA III and does a very good keeping you engaged throughout. There are a ton of challenging things to do if you like to, although there are no trophies for it. I do plan on doing an in game 100% on very hard and cannot wait for DLC and ultra hard.

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yeah I mean, the Decima Engine is awesome. For anyone that don't know what that is, it's basically the game engine used to make Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Horizon Forbidden West.

Death Stranding looks spectacular, but like Horizon Forbidden West, likely plays rather dull for me. I admired and respected Hideo Kojima for a very long time, but I don't think even he will convince me to get Death Stranding. I'm just tapped out on most open world games.

It's funny that Hideo Kojima was an exception because his old games were very cinematic, trying to emulate the writing of a Hollywood mainstream movie back in a time when games were more focused on delivering the old school God of War like experience. Story was sort of there as flavor text for most games, but Kojima went above and beyond which made him stand out. Now it's like every other massive AAA experience is practically hours upon hours of cutscenes in a giant open world.

Horizon Forbidden West does look spectacular much like Death Stranding before it, but I'm just going to bow out and admit that these games really aren't for me. I get bored far too easily when they have to throw endless cinematic cutscenes while doing little in the gameplay department.

I still enjoyed God of War 2018 because it was Kratos after all, but it was clear the times had changed and the marketing was clearly aimed at the younger generation.

It also doesn't help that these modern day trophy lists are dull and lack any real imagination. No actual challenge for a lot of first party Sony titles but even if you crank up the difficulty regardless of trophies, it tends to be a joke. It's like when Ubisoft decided that they just make enemies two - three shot you on the highest difficulty, while everything else remains the same.

That makes sense, I really did not like Death Stranding either as a game but the game engine is quite impressive from a graphics and performance standpoint. Not so much on the gameplay side though. A game of endless, repetitive carrier missions? No thank you. And the story was nothing but Kojima trying to prove how good of a writer he is. The whole game just comes off as existing simply to stroke Kojima's ego but ultimately is an absolute bore to play. I wish we got Silent Hills instead. 

We're on the same page as far as the state of modern gaming compared to older generations. The younger generation seems to have totally different perspectives and opinions on what games should be so the games these days are reflecting that. Easy, formulaic, story driven games is the new standard. Since most people on this site seem to lean on the younger side, it's gotten me into quite a bit of trouble in my short time here. My opinions tend to be contrarian to the current popular ones. The younger generation is obsessed with graphics and performance, I'm from the generation where the gameplay is the most important thing by far and graphics and performance is secondary. Nowadays that's been flipped and it makes it very frustrating to not only appreciate the new generation of games that cater to the graphics snob generation but also fit in with the current gaming community that has completely different perspectives than I do most of the time. Product of getting older I suppose. 

Those early PS3 titles had some ridiculous trophy lists, that's for sure. That was before trophy hunting became a thing and developers just came up with some ridiculous, off the wall trophy requirements that are extremely difficult, some literally impossible. Now that trophy hunting is a fairly decent sized niche group in the gaming community, developers have caught on and are making trophy lists easier as a way to market the game to trophy hunters and make them sell more copies and it works. Trophy hunters will play a game whether they like it or not just to get the trophies for it if it's easy enough. The indie game market has definitely benefited from this exploit as well which is why there's a whole genre of games that are extremely short and extremely easy to get the platinum that require next to no effort. You're basically paying for a platinum trophy and there's entire forums and channels on YouTube that dedicate their time to finding these quick, easy platinum games. It's really trivialized the whole thing but it's also brought in a lot more people to the trophy hunting world so I suppose that's a plus. 

It's still frustrating to read all the whining and moaning when a game comes out and it has a difficult trophy list or a few particular hard ones. It's a weird form of entitlement to expect every games trophy list to be as easy and exactly what you want all the time. Diversity is good. Too many easy games being released nowadays, there's still very much a need and craving for games that are more difficult to balance it out. Even the 'hard' games of today are a cakewalk compared to many games of the past. Difficulty has been extremely dumbed down for sure. 

• Like 1