So I Had to Factory Reset My PS5...

sepheroithisgod

I started my PS5 today from rest mode without issue. I selected Yu-Gi-Oh Master Duels (to get my daily login bonus) and while it was loading the game, my PS5 turned off. Once I realized this I turned it back on and it went to where the PS Logo appears and then to a black screen. Waited about 10 min. I turned the system off and unplugged it for 30 seconds. Restarted it and same result.

I then booted it in safe mode and tried to rebuild the database. After selecting it the system turned off, then back on into the black screen. At this point, I called Sony and had to do a Factory reset to resolve the issue.

Any idea what could have caused this? There was no power outage as the system was still in rest mode from last night. All the games were closed, just Hulu was open. Almost gave me a heart attack.

I had this happen the other night, but it was when starting Dauntless. System shut off, turned it back on, logo, black screen. My solution was to power cycle the system. Straight pull the power cord, reconnect, switch on, let it check for errors, problem was solved.

May have been a factory defect. Even if you've had it for a while, sometimes these things don't present themselves until later on. Or just a stroke of bad luck. It can be any number of variables when it comes to something as unpredictable as the inner workings of computers/consoles.

My first Xbox 360 kept freezing in games, eventually got worse and worse, then would get stuck on the 360 logo during start-up. Tried a bunch of troubleshooting, never really fixed it, and it started having other weird issues too prior to dying (like not recognising games discs or the HDD sometimes). Only had it 2 weeks.

Had a PS3 super slim for about 5-6 months before it decided to randomly kill itself after I had to restart it when it froze in a game (in the pause menu no less). It didn't really present any issues previously aside from occasional freezing.

Then, just last year, my launch day Xbox One has issues updating for whatever reason, turns itself off during an update and then I'm always greeted by a black screen when I turn it on, other than the notification that I've signed in. I ended up having to factory reset it, first time I've ever had to do that with a console. Thankfully there was an option to keep my games installed, and I haven't had any more issues since, even with other updates, so not sure what caused it. Apparently it wasn't too uncommon an issue for other people's Xboxes around the same time either.

Hopefully you won't get any more issues, but if it's still under warranty at all, it may be best to return and replace it if you can, depending on the laws on that in your country and/or the store policy (I managed to replace both my dead 360 and PS3 to the store I bought them from in exchange for new consoles with no issues, since it was part of the store policy), especially if any more issues crop up. In my experience, hardware generally dies in the first 12 months after purchase, or it'll last years and years if you take minimal care of it. And any hardware that has major issues early on, tends to have issues later on even after repair.

I had to do this last night.

I was playing Elden Ring, put the system into Rest Mode, when I turned it back on I noticed the controller wasn't paired and not turning the system on. Turned the console on at the console, said it needed to do a repair. After the process bar it restarted, showed the PS logo then black screen with flashing blue lights on the console. Also tried rebuilding database etc, and in the end had to do a complete reset.

Seems most things were cloud saved, though it hadn't saved the last 24 hours of Elden Ring.

Also seem to have lost all screen shots and videos, including the ones attached to trophies, but honestly I don't really care about those.

I have no idea what caused it, though a few times since launch I have had the system turn off during rest mode.

PSA: make sure your game saves are set to auto sync, and make sure you've hit a save point before you go into rest mode just in case.

48 minutes ago, P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I had to do this last night.

I was playing Elden Ring, put the system into Rest Mode, when I turned it back on I noticed the controller wasn't paired and not turning the system on.

Was the application suspended during rest mode?

Not the same issue but I also had to factory reset my ps5, my external hard drive was working fine then one day it just stopped. I contacted PlayStation support and it lead to what I said at the beginning and this solution never fixed it. I don’t trust rest mode (even though it supposedly fixed) but have accidentally used it, I’m not entirely sure but I feel like that’s what caused the problem. I would say the external storage was the issue but it works fine on my PS4 so will likely switch it out. Lastly I ran into someone on overwatch and he’s on Xbox and had the same issue I have so who knows 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Was the application suspended during rest mode?

Yep. I'd saved and exited (which means it goes back to the title screen), then put the console into rest mode. Didn't want to wake back up.

It's all fine now. Had to download everything again, and lost a day of Elden Ring progress and trophy screenshots, but console seems to be fine now.

Edited by P_Pigly_Hogswine

OK so this happened again last night, though fortunately I didn't need to do a factory reset.

Once again I was playing Elden Ring, put the console in rest. Came back, PS5 was completely turned off by itself, had to repair, restart, then booted up properly. Lost a couple of hours of progress.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can replicate it with other games, but for now it's 2 for 2 in 24 hours with Elden Ring. I did read there's some save bug that can occur in rest mode with Elden Ring. Given both times I lost save progress, I'm starting to suspect the game.

Here we go with another thread of people telling others that rest mode is evil. People really need to stop listening to that shit. 

It's just a freak accident, the PS5 is a computer...it happens. You get memory leaks, things lock up. It's just bad luck, no one ever wants it to happen...but it does. Nothing is fundamentally wrong with rest mode. It sounds like Elden Ring has severe memory leak problems once you suspend it, which can't be helped until they patch it. You're going to need to save, then close the game app before putting your PS5 in rest mode. 

• Like 1

Agree with Viper. I've had this happen to me 5 times in my span of owning a PS5, no exaggeration. Only 1 of those times was while it was in rest mode. The rest of them came from either a game seemingly crashing my console upon starting it up (Worms Rumble, Ratcher & Clank) or the issue just being present from start up after being powered off. Don't act like rest mode is the answer 100% of the time, it's not.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Here we go with another thread of people telling others that rest mode is evil. People really need to stop listening to that shit. 

It's just a freak accident, the PS5 is a computer...it happens. You get memory leaks, things lock up. It's just bad luck, no one ever wants it to happen...but it does. Nothing is fundamentally wrong with rest mode. It sounds like Elden Ring has severe memory leak problems once you suspend it, which can't be helped until they patch it. You're going to need to save, then close the game app before putting your PS5 in rest mode. 

Agree on this. I've had my console since launch and the two times I've had a rest mode KO were both in 24 hours and both with the same game that the developers themselves have acknowledged a likely bug relating to save files and rest mode.

Since closing Elden Ring before I go into rest mode, I've had zero issues. Every other game I've played I've been able to go into rest mode on a paused game with no issues. So I think it's a game related issue.

At this point I'm just going to wait for a "Slim" or "Pro" version of the PS5. These issues greatly remind me of the early models of the Xbox 360 and the "red ring of death". Was always fun when you ran into one of those back in the day.

• Like 1