No crossbuy after buying PS5 disc.

LunchCannon54

Brought this up in the other thread but I thought this would be good to get more traction.

I bought the PS5 disc version of this yet I cannot find the free PS4 "upgrade" anywhere. 

My desire to earn 2 plats notwithstanding apparently the PS4 version is currently the better version so this is a bit disconcerting for me. 

Just now, Infected Elite said:

uhhhh its ps4 to ps5 upgrade unless specified such as GT 7 special edition has access to ps4 version.

Digital has crossbuy probably.

just buy a ps4 copy as well.

I didn't know that cross buy only applied to buying the PS4 version or digital. That's pretty bullshit. I usually get the PS4 version out of availability anyway so this was the first PS5 version of a game I've bought. I'm not gonna make that mistake again. 

2 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I didn't know that cross buy only applied to buying the PS4 version or digital. That's pretty bullshit. I usually get the PS4 version out of availability anyway so this was the first PS5 version of a game I've bought. I'm not gonna make that mistake again. 

its almost always been that way. Elden Ring i only got twice because I could only get the collectors edition for ps4 as ps5 was sold out. So i got standard edition for ps5.

Even Forbidden West for example. i wanted Ragalla edition but dont like digital, so even though i used the codes for ps4/ps5 digital copy, i still bought a ps5 disc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, h4mx0r said:

Yeah it's generally PS4 --> PS5 one way.

The idea being that people who don't have a PS5 yet can start playing the game and then upgrade when they do get a PS5.

Yep, I guess it's my fault honestly. It's still pretty stupid though especially considering the PS5 version is usually more expensive. It completely disincentivises getting the physical PS5 version of anything unless it's an exclusive which is limited to about 5 games at the moment. 

1 minute ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Yep, I guess it's my fault honestly. It's still pretty stupid though especially considering the PS5 version is usually more expensive. It completely disincentivises getting the physical PS5 version of anything unless it's an exclusive which is limited to about 5 games at the moment. 

Yeah it does, I've been buying almost all my games in PS4 version because of this. Cheaper in some cases and also probably easier resale if I wanna get rid of it.

• Like 3

I always buy the PS4 disc copy for this reason, when unsure. Only issue is that the disc is just a DRM check and you really have to download the entire PS5 digital version, which can take up more space on your ps5. 

Plus the PS4 version can sometimes be 10 dollars cheaper. No brainer really. I can see in future though more games charging for cross buy ps5 upgrades and not giving free upgrades. Sony is not far off doing this, they were going to do it with horizon until everyone complained.

Edited by SlipingJimmy

2 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

more expensive by a whole 5 to 10 bucks... 

14 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

Yep, always gotta buy the PS4 physical version. Since it's just better. Unless you need to run the PS5 copy without internet access.

One year of owning a PS5 and I think I own... four physical PS5 copies.

tbh i just buy what i want which is close to 50 games a year. I think after tomorrow ill have 30 physical ps5 games. I like the white spines. Yep. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I can't even understand how you came up with the idea, that buying a PS5 game on disc would entitle someone to get a PS4 digital copy.

Did you ever notice on any PS5 disc cover an advertisement for a free PS4 digital copy, like it is placed on the PS4 disc covers that a free PS5 digital copy is available

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Brought this up in the other thread but I thought this would be good to get more traction.

I bought the PS5 disc version of this yet I cannot find the free PS4 "upgrade" anywhere. 

My desire to earn 2 plats notwithstanding apparently the PS4 version is currently the better version so this is a bit disconcerting for me. 

Uh, it’s a PS4 to PS5 UPgrade, not a PS5 to PS4 DOWNgrade. Lmfao it works like that for every game that has a free upgrade path (aside from 2Ks $100 editions and Hitman 3 with IO wanting people to try in VR). You either get both with a PS4 disc, or by getting digital. Been like that since day one.

• Like 4