Elden Ring hard crashes Ps5

PandaGuyBonson

Anyone else have Ps5 Hard Crashes? 

While playing Elden Ring I've had 3 Hard Crashes. First time I got set back a gooood chunk and had to fight Margaret again, second time was as bad since I started regularly uploading to the cloud. Third time I was making my way through the castle got a good chunk done but ? gotta do that section again since I didn't upload in a couple hours. 

Hey, just thought I'd post my recent experiences with the PS5 hard crashing. Everything was going fine with my PS5 and starting with Deep Rock Galactic, I experienced hard crashing. I posted in the forums saying the game had stability issues, but no one else seemed to agree or have the issue. Like you are here with this game. It started happening with more and more games. Planet Coaster was almost impossible to play crashing every 15 minutes or so. Other games, I could play all night with no issues though. I took a bunch of steps to try to troubleshoot the crashing. Deleting saves, reinstalling games etc. I even factory reset the console, but it still crashed when playing some games.One time when going over to the ps5 to pull the plug out and plug it back in because it crashed and wasn't coming back, I happened to touch the screw on the bottom of the console where the stand attaches to it. It burned me! Not like make me blister up, but the damn thing was suprisingly, and uncomfortably hot and made me jerk my hand away from it. I realized in this moment my console was overheating and shutting off with no warnings. 

My PS5 looked nice and pretty from the outside, but once I popped the plastic shell off it was obvious my fan was clogged up and dirt was everywhere. I blew it out and let the console sit for an hour or so to cool down. I started it back up and I've not had a hard crash since. I have even platinumed Planet Coaster with insane parks that maxed out their meter for the number of assets your allowed to place in a single park. I played through HZD2 which is very graphically demanding. I also played Elden Ring for hours yesterday. All with no crashes. I recommend checking on overheating. Next time you crash, go feel that screw or the ports on the back of the console. If they are hot, your heat isn't escaping where it should be; ordont wait for the next crash and just give your console a good cleaning just for the purpose of maintaining it. I would bet that you'll stop crashing after that too and be able to enjoy Elden Ring.

Edited by Man of Inaction

1 hour ago, Man of Inaction said:

Hey, just thought I'd post my recent experiences with the PS5 hard crashing. Everything was going fine with my PS5 and starting with Deep Rock Galactic, I experienced hard crashing. I posted in the forums saying the game had stability issues, but no one else seemed to agree or have the issue. Like you are here with this game. It started happening with more and more games. Planet Coaster was almost impossible to play crashing every 15 minutes or so. Other games, I could play all night with no issues though. I took a bunch of steps to try to troubleshoot the crashing. Deleting saves, reinstalling games etc. I even factory reset the console, but it still crashed when playing some games.One time when going over to the ps5 to pull the plug out and plug it back in because it crashed and wasn't coming back, I happened to touch the screw on the bottom of the console where the stand attaches to it. It burned me! Not like make me blister up, but the damn thing was suprisingly, and uncomfortably hot and made me jerk my hand away from it. I realized in this moment my console was overheating and shutting off with no warnings. 

My PS5 looked nice and pretty from the outside, but once I popped the plastic shell off it was obvious my fan was clogged up and dirt was everywhere. I blew it out and let the console sit for an hour or so to cool down. I started it back up and I've not had a hard crash since. I have even platinumed Planet Coaster with insane parks that maxed out their meter for the number of assets your allowed to place in a single park. I played through HZD2 which is very graphically demanding. I also played Elden Ring for hours yesterday. All with no crashes. I recommend checking on overheating. Next time you crash, go feel that screw or the ports on the back of the console. If they are hot, your heat isn't escaping where it should be; ordont wait for the next crash and just give your console a good cleaning just for the purpose of maintaining it. I would bet that you'll stop crashing after that too and be able to enjoy Elden Ring.

Try to clean it weekly.  I clean my systems at least once a week.

• Like 2

It has to be due to the inside not being able to have enough ventilation to cool it down. Mine did this for Horizon, I opened the covers and used electronic compressed air to get all of it out of the fan, and I had my vacuum suck through the two holes on one side of the ps5. It removed all the dust from the system, and it runs like a dream. Heavily recommend doing this once every month or two.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, grimydawg___ said:

Try to clean it weekly.  I clean my systems at least once a week.

Even monthly is fine depending on your household environment. But yes, please clean your consoles people! They made it super easy this generation (and it's vacuum safe). Never in my life did I think I'd vacuum an electronic, but after Sony showed off their vacuum holes on the PS5, I've been doing it once a month since launch. Canned air to loosen it all up, vacuum it all out from the fan and 2 case holes.

7 hours ago, Terarded said:

My roomate and i both had one each, it was pretty bad. We also learned at that time that the game isn't saving as it should so i lost 10 hours of progress. If i remember right the developers have acknowledged it and are working on it. Seriously, save and quit on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure the save and quit is the only way a from software game has ever been able to save. I've always had to do that for all their games. I'm not so sure elden ring is supposed to save another way other then that. if I tried just leaving or exiting on bloodborne or dark souls it always erased my progress unless I specifically hit the save and exit button. 

Must be just a PS5 thing, earlier I had to stop playing suddenly so I quickly put the PS4 into rest mode since you can't pause the game, when I came back, it said an error has occured for online connection so it kicked me back to the main menu, upon clicking "CONTINUE" it took me back to literally where I was stood and even the enemies that were around me when in the same locations. So I'm pretty sure it's doing auto saving somewhere. I've never needed to to use QUIT and save back to the main menu, neither on Bloodborne either.

Yes, I've had two major system hard crashes in 24 hours, one required a complete factory reset of the PS5.

Hard Crash 1: Had saved and exited to the Elden Ring main menu, put the console into rest mode. An hour later the controller wasn't connecting, console had completely turned off, on restart it said it needed to run a repair. After the repair the console restarted, PS logo came up on screen, faded to black ... nothing but blue flashing lights. Had to restart in safe mode, tried restarting, tried database rebuild, but only a complete factory reset (wiping the whole console) would get it started again. Lost a day of progress in Elden Ring.

Hard Crash 2: Same as above. Saved and exited to main menu, put into rest mode, console later turned itself off. Had to run a repair, though thankfully the console restarted without having to do a hard reset. Still lost about an hour of progress.

I suspect there's something up with the save files and being in rest mode, as that's when both crashes happened. I've since completely closed Elden Ring before going into rest mode and it's been stable. However, it did ask me to choose between my SSD save or Cloud save (both were timestamped the same) saying there was an error. I chose cloud save and it was fine.

Clearly something up with Elden Ring as it doesn't happen with any other game and I've had my PS5 since launch.

Just sharing the pain...

Loaded up after 20 hours in. 

Decided to farm some stuff to make various fletched arrows...spent about an hour and a half....

Hard crash in the middle of a sweet ass eagle shot with a hard ass boner arrow...straight up, lost all that farming. 

I know losing hours of progession is painful.

But

Losing an hour and a half of various, one minute long rinse and repeating loops? 

It's just disheartening...???

14 hours ago, Profeelgood said:

Just sharing the pain...

Loaded up after 20 hours in. 

Decided to farm some stuff to make various fletched arrows...spent about an hour and a half....

Hard crash in the middle of a sweet ass eagle shot with a hard ass boner arrow...straight up, lost all that farming. 

I know losing hours of progession is painful.

But

Losing an hour and a half of various, one minute long rinse and repeating loops? 

It's just disheartening...1f622.png1f630.png1f62d.png

Did yours hard crash while you were playing or while it was in rest mode?