Elden Ring Playstation 4 Performance

Skullahh

Playing on PS4 Pro, game still looks great and playable. During the open-world it's mostly 30 fps which I'm fine with, but during dungeons it can often go above 30 and feel pretty smooth. As someone who currently can't afford a PS5 and doesn't meet the minimum specs on PC (which is currently badly optimized regardless), PS4 Pro is not a bad choice at all to experience the game.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 2

I'm on a Base PS4. I'd say it runs smoother than Bloodborne. They do this "cool thing" with Elden Ring PS4 where if there's too many monsters on the screen (rarely) it will make the monsters have less animation frames but keep up without the gameplay lagging on you. I haven't noticed any other issues on my Base PS4 with any pop up textures or pop up monsters or anything negatively affecting my experience.

Only down side of running it on a Base PS4 is loading times between deaths, and I die a lot ?

There was one time I mounted my horse but my character was suspended mid-air like he was floating by himself, then he randomly died -- but seemed more like a bug than a performance issue!

LOVE THIS GAME!

• Like 3

thx for linking that video @enaysoft

Since I have a ps4 this is really great news, it seems like it has the same ol frame pace issues that were present in previous From Soft games on console, which sucks since it's been a common complain since Bloodborne, but other than that it seems like if you were ok with how DS3 ran on ps4 then you should be pretty happy with this version of the game.

Edited by sillyrobo75
  • Like 1

The only time I’ve had slowdown is when a couple of bug enemies did large cloud poison attacks a few rooms away from me as they were chasing me.

Loading speed, especially after death at launch is WAY BETTER than the dumpster fire of 40-50+ seconds to revive in Bloodborne at launch. 

I'm playing it on my original PS4 (too cheap to get a Pro or PS5 :P ), and no issues. Some load times can be lengthy, however, it's not that bad and I have seen the same load time in other platforms on YT.

Edited by pathtoninja

I find load times to be reasonable. I find frame rate to be acceptable. But my issue (as I stated in a status update) is that input delay is very real on PS4. It sucks that there is a quarter second between when I hit the button and when I actually dodge.

I've also heard that i-frames during dodges are wonky. I'm not good enough at these games to make that determination, but others that I know are, and they have made videos on this.

On 06/03/2022 at 7:38 AM, twyz said:

Performance aside, are the PS5 and PS4 versions the same game? I mean, are there any gameplay mechanics that the PS5 has that the PS4 lacks because it can't handle it? 

Other than loadtimes, hmm ill look. It will be awhile before i start my ps4 copy though. 

Ps4 is maxed at 1080p/30fps though a ps4 pro can push 1800p/35fps.

ps5 is resolution mode @ 4K/40-45fps, or Performance mode can be 2160p(4K) and 1620p, reaching 60fps with some drops.

However if you play the ps4 copy on a ps5 it will perform a bit better in backwards compatibility on the ps5 

You're welcome 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 11:24 PM, Infected Elite said:

However if you play the ps4 copy on a ps5 it will perform a bit better in backwards compatibility on the ps5 

I've heard it's a consistent 60 FPS this way, just with a drop in foliage and a few other things. I'd be willing to sacrifice that for perfect 60.

PC version has performed fine for me on a RTX 3080/Core i9-10900 KF. I have it running on mostly max at 2560 x 1440, with motion blur dialed down to medium. No crashing, and it runs well except for a rare momentary freeze. Loading is quick after dying or fast-traveling. For a console version I'll wait until I get PS5... hopefully by then PS5 will get further optimisation to run at a solid 60.

PC version does have some stuttering because it's a DX12 title lacking shader precompilation. The more you've played, the less of an issue this becomes.

One thing I like is that Elden Ring encourages more exploration than DS.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

PS5 version has definitely much more extra effect on. It's so obvious especially in the citadel area. The PS4 version has mostly foggy and low tone in colors (less rendering). PS5 version (performance) is more vivid. If you have PS5, I'd say definitely play PS5 in performance mode rather than PS4. Elden ring in PS4 is on par with Dark souls 3 on PS4 IMO. Not bad at all. 

• 4 weeks later...

runs surprisingly well on ps4 pro there is the occasional frame drops but nothing game breaking . only complaints i have are the load times and like most newer games it makes the fan run a lot and it makes my console sound like an airplane p.s my console has been cleaned and the thermal paste has been replaced recently so its not an overheating issue its just a ps4 thing i guess