Hardest levels in nightmare coop?

Kramers001

I'm currently playing through Doom II on nightmare coop solo after the 1.07 patch and I've beaten every level up til level 9 and I wanna know for the people who got the "When I'm with you" trophy, what were your top 5 hardest levels (other than 29 of course) to get through and what tactic did you use to beat 'em? 

2 hours ago, gamercris066 said:

You can use the depatch method.

I could but I'm a masochist. So what were your 5 hardest levels then with or without depatch? 

3 hours ago, kapomimo903 said:

Im stuck at level 9 too D: thats all my journey so far so cant really talk about the other levels

I haven't tried level 9 yet, but from the looks of it, it's gonna be a toughy. 

For level 9 I manage to get the blue key and open its door, the problem is I do that most of the time with low health and armour. So its hard to reach yellow key only with super shotgun or chain gun because enemies block my way, but I came really close once. Getting the bfg is almost impossible for me, that would be a great help but I gave up trying it. Also my rocket launcher is gone because I die a few times until I get past blue door, but now that I think about it, maybe if I manage to get rocket launcher again I will get yellow key easier. That would be no problem because you can get rocket launcher from a room without enemies if you get it slowly so you dont trigger the ambush. I know Im gonna get this map done eventually but its taking longer than I expected

3 hours ago, kapomimo903 said:

For level 9 I manage to get the blue key and open its door, the problem is I do that most of the time with low health and armour. So its hard to reach yellow key only with super shotgun or chain gun because enemies block my way, but I came really close once. Getting the bfg is almost impossible for me, that would be a great help but I gave up trying it. Also my rocket launcher is gone because I die a few times until I get past blue door, but now that I think about it, maybe if I manage to get rocket launcher again I will get yellow key easier. That would be no problem because you can get rocket launcher from a room without enemies if you get it slowly so you dont trigger the ambush. I know Im gonna get this map done eventually but its taking longer than I expected

I actually found a neat trick to get a rocket launcher and plasma rifle and 200 health and armor at the start, just play through map8 before map9, you only need to go through 3 doors other than the orange and red one in that level. The room with cacodemons and a shotgunner there is a plasma rifle and ammo, the room with pinkys there is a rocket launcher and ammo and the room with the yellow key, get the invincibility orb and yellow key, run to the yellow door, get the red key and an invincibility orb and then finish the level and voila, fully armed and prepped for map9. I haven't finished map9 myself yet but it makes it considerably more accessible to beat, probably gonna get it tomorrow myself.

12 hours ago, Kramers001 said:

I actually found a neat trick to get a rocket launcher and plasma rifle and 200 health and armor at the start, just play through map8 before map9, you only need to go through 3 doors other than the orange and red one in that level. The room with cacodemons and a shotgunner there is a plasma rifle and ammo, the room with pinkys there is a rocket launcher and ammo and the room with the yellow key, get the invincibility orb and yellow key, run to the yellow door, get the red key and an invincibility orb and then finish the level and voila, fully armed and prepped for map9. I haven't finished map9 myself yet but it makes it considerably more accessible to beat, probably gonna get it tomorrow myself.

Yes I thought about that and getting bfg secret in level 8 too but its tricky. Maybe just going for plasma and rocket launcher as you say is safer, problem is my chances for reaching yellow key without even dying once are really low, but plasma could be a big help

4 hours ago, kapomimo903 said:

Yes I thought about that and getting bfg secret in level 8 too but its tricky. Maybe just going for plasma and rocket launcher as you say is safer, problem is my chances for reaching yellow key without even dying once are really low, but plasma could be a big help

Yeah, the BFG is too tricky with the pinkys. The yellow card room though is actually quite easy, just don't shoot at the baron of hells and have the cyberdemon shoot them instead while you stand close to the invisibility orb and wait for the room to clear a bit then take it and run to the yellow key card and shoot everything standing in the way with the rocket launcher, works 10/10 times for me 

19 hours ago, Mellenthin said:

In my opinion, 9, 17, 22, 25 and 29 are the hardest to solo.

What were your tactics if you can recall them? 

I'm not sure if putting a wall of text will help, but why not.

The Pit is hard as you're already surrounded by imps and zombies as you start the level and use the lifts. I recommend using the lift which the shotgun is located on, and then play as smart as you possibly can, with the goal of steadily make progress towards the blue key. Once you have it, keep using the same aforementioned lift and then take the door to the immediate left. It's important that you pick up the super shotgun before dropping down where the yellow key is located as you'll be swarmed by imps and pinkies. You don't have to kill them all, you just need to find an opening to reach the yellow key. Once that's accomplished, you should have no problem finishing.

Tenements is one I dreaded for a while soloing, as it's a rather long level packed with all sorts of enemies, including a cyber demon. If you have a partner, keep that one in one of the starting rooms overlooking the square and keep the cacodemons and the cyber demon occupied, otherwise it will be even more chaotic.

The Catacombs is easily one of the more troublesome if soloing. Grab the plasma rifle from the secret room adjacent from the starting location, but as soon as you teleport onto the main platform, you'll be assaulted from all sides by chain gunners and revenants, forcing you to not waste even a split second and be on constant move. It's key to know where to go as soon as you teleport, otherwise you'll be practically destroyed on the spot. Having a partner which can help you clean up the area around the main platform is very helpful.

Bloodfalls is probably my most hated level. Even with a partner, the moment you enter the squared area with the BFG, you'll be gunned down by a combination of shotgun zombies, chain gunners, imps and a revenant. When you get on top of the walls, the room you need to proceed through is packed to the brim with demons and you'll easily die here. Intelligent usage of the BFG as you enter said room is how I got through, but you still need to be on your toes as there's a Hell Knight and more zombies as you come around the corner. Going down the lift just before the end area contains two pain elementals, and even in the final room you need to be quick as there's chain gunners and even an arch-vile present.

Regarding The Living End, I suggest you read and watch the excellent videos here on how other people have done it. There's nothing I feel I can provide that they already haven't.

The only other thing that I can think of in terms of general advice is the usual, the more you play and improve, the easier it becomes. Knowing each level is the first step, mastering the controls and strafing the second. After that you'll get a feeling for any given situation whether you need to kill, bait or just run around to get an opening. It's also extremely useful to start infighting between enemies, especially so the more powerful they are. Many times the main problem to advance is not having enough firepower and kill enemies in time before they respawn, so any help in that regard is more than welcome.?

Edited by Mellenthin
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mellenthin said:

I'm not sure if putting a wall of text will help, but why not.

The Pit is hard as you're already surrounded by imps and zombies as you start the level and use the lifts. I recommend using the lift which the shotgun is located on, and then play as smart as you possibly can, with the goal of steadily make progress towards the blue key. Once you have it, keep using the same aforementioned lift and then take the door to the immediate left. It's important that you pick up the super shotgun before dropping down where the yellow key is located as you'll be swarmed by imps and pinkies. You don't have to kill them all, you just need to find an opening to reach the yellow key. Once that's accomplished, you should have no problem finishing.

Tenements is one I dreaded for a while soloing, as it's a rather long level packed with all sorts of enemies, including a cyber demon. If you have a partner, keep that one in one of the starting rooms overlooking the square and keep the cacodemons and the cyber demon occupied, otherwise it will be even more chaotic.

The Catacombs is easily one of the more troublesome if soloing. Grab the plasma rifle from the secret room adjacent from the starting location, but as soon as you teleport onto the main platform, you'll be assaulted from all sides by chain gunners and revenants, forcing you to not waste even a split second and be on constant move. It's key to know where to go as soon as you teleport, otherwise you'll be practically destroyed on the spot. Having a partner which can help you clean up the area around the main platform is very helpful.

Bloodfalls is probably my most hated level. Even with a partner, the moment you enter the squared area with the BFG, you'll be gunned down by a combination of shotgun zombies, chain gunners, imps and a revenant. When you get on top of the walls, the room you need to proceed through is packed to the brim with demons and you'll easily die here. Intelligent usage of the BFG as you enter said room is how I got through, but you still need to be on your toes as there's a Hell Knight and more zombies as you come around the corner. Going down the lift just before the end area contains two pain elementals, and even in the final room you need to be quick as there's chain gunners and even an arch-vile present.

Regarding The Living End, I suggest you read and watch the excellent videos here on how other people have done it. There's nothing I feel I can provide that they already have.

The only other thing that I can think of in terms of general advice is the usual, the more you play and improve, the easier it becomes. Knowing each level is the first step, mastering the controls and strafing the second. After that you'll get a feeling for any given situation whether you need to kill, bait or just run around to get an opening. It's also extremely useful to start infighting between enemies, especially so the more powerful they are. Many times the main problem to advance is not having enough firepower and kill enemies in time before they respawn, so any help in that regard is more than welcome.1f642.png

Wow, thanks for tips! That was one hell of a paragraph, much appreciated ?

@kapomimo903 I got past map9, I found a trick! Do what I described earlier with map8 and then in map9 go to the secret room with the blue sphere and a few lost souls with your player1 and stay inside, don't open the door or activate the shotgunners and chaingunners, just hide, you'll be safe. Then use player2 to get to the blue key card, it will take a lot tries but trust me, it'll make the next section so much easier. Then run out of hiding with player1 and go to blue key card room on your left with full health, armor, a rocket launcher and plasma gun, it'll make the yellow key card section a walk in the park! I did it first try!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kramers001 said:

Wow, thanks for tips! That was one hell of a paragraph, much appreciated 1f604.png

@kapomimo903 I got past map9, I found a trick! Do what I described earlier with map8 and then in map9 go to the secret room with the blue sphere and a few lost souls with your player1 and stay inside, don't open the door or activate the shotgunners and chaingunners, just hide, you'll be safe. Then use player2 to get to the blue key card, it will take a lot tries but trust me, it'll make the next section so much easier. Then run out of hiding with player1 and go to blue key card room on your left with full health, armor, a rocket launcher and plasma gun, it'll make the yellow key card section a walk in the park! I did it first try!

I don't know how helpful my tips will be, but you'll definitely understand the pain those levels will bring.

I'm more of the stubborn type and while I do try and take advantage of any information out there, it mostly turns out to a slug fest in the end where I constantly duck and weave until getting by.

It's good to hear that you got past by using your brain, and you should do just fine if you keep doing that. I finished The Pit by just brute forcing and strafing like a madman, however the more you know the easier it gets, obviously.?

1 hour ago, Kramers001 said:

Wow, thanks for tips! That was one hell of a paragraph, much appreciated 1f604.png

omg thats a good idea! I will try that. Cant really play these days. Its good to use that kind of ideas and use coop features like that as an advantage

On 2/27/2022 at 1:45 PM, Mellenthin said:

In my opinion, 9, 17, 22, 25 and 29 are the hardest to solo.

22 and 25 are hard, and I’d say they are strong contender's for top 2&3 respectively.

Tho I will say from 20 and up most stages are very on par with each in terms of difficulty. 
Expect 29, that one straight flex’s on the other levels.

Imo the top 5 are 13, 22, 23, 25 and 29.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R

I think I never pointed out that I've put most of my time on version 1.03 followed by 1.05 and 1.06. I know full well that the difficulty of the later versions adds another layer of hell on an already hard game.

You're of course free to keep playing on the current version, however you should be aware of that if you revert to 1.03 you would be able to finish the vast majority of levels in a couple of days, so you wouldn't actually lose much time already spent - it really is that much easier.

At least on 1.03, The Inmost Dens is not hard as long as you know the level and move as quickly as you possibly can. Start with picking up the shotgun and then the blue armour right at the start. Don't bother with the revenant and focus primarily on the chaingunners as they're an actul threat. Strafe all imps other than the ones you cannot bypass and you should get to the red key without much problem. 

After that, obtaining the blue key should be easy and you can die after reaching it if you wish. Now you need to reach the end and as always, keep moving, strafe and engage primarily chaingunners and shotgunners, but really anything that you can kill without slowing you down.

At the end, just before the last door, there's a room with a few shotgunners and pinkies. It can be worthwhile to kill a few enemies here as you can be killed if you run through carelessly. Also, don't forget to maintain running speed as you move towards the last door as there's a small gap between the floor and said last door. You don't want to fall down needlessly if you can help it.

4 hours ago, Mellenthin said:

I think I never pointed out that I've put most of my time on version 1.03 followed by 1.05 and 1.06. I know full well that the difficulty of the later versions adds another layer of hell on an already hard game.

Thanks for the tip, although I already passed the level. Another question though just to be sure, does the secret level exit in level 15 count towards the trophy? Or do I have to reach the normal exit?

On 3/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, Kramers001 said:

Thanks for the tip, although I already passed the level. Another question though just to be sure, does the secret level exit in level 15 count towards the trophy? Or do I have to reach the normal exit?

The secret exist will still award you the nightmare trophy, so use it to your hearts content.

Doing that level without it would be awful tbh.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:43 PM, Kramers001 said:

Oaky, how the hell is 14 not on the top 5 hardest levels? I need advice, please.

Im currently at lvl 16 doing nightmare coop on current update. I didnt find lvl 14 that hard compared to lvl 9 but maybe I just got lucky. Start going for shotgun and super armor at the start, then go for secret area with rocket launcher to kill revenant easier. Kill chaingunners best you can avoiding damage and run for the red key with plasma gun. Then open red door pressing button  but instead of going through main entrance use right elevator where there was a chaingunner you probably killed. You dont have to deal with archville through this path. Run and get blue key, you can pretty much die at this point (if you are good enough you can grab a supercharge killing one of those spider robots and reach the exit, but I couldnt do it). Now just keep trying to reach the end clearing the path every time you respawn, you can eventually reach the exit. You can grab plasma gun again to kill spectors, shotgunners and a few chaingunners in the last room.

I follow youtube walktrhough from Decino, he does nightmare with pistol start 100% secrets. This is useful so you can learn useful secrets to complete levels easier and skip the hard ones since all you need to do is complete the level for the trophy

Edited by kapomimo903
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kapomimo903 said:

Im currently at lvl 16 doing nightmare coop on current update. I didnt find lvl 14 that hard compared to lvl 9 but maybe I just got lucky. 

I'm currently on lvl 16 too, but have put it on hiatus until I'm done with Elden Ring. Do keep updates on challenging levels if you got some gold nuggets to share.

• Like 1