RPG Mania 2022 - Return of the Turn Based Gameplay - Congrats Laburnski! (Completed)

Looks like I forgot to post my doubles and triple.

I would like one of my double point games to be sakura wars.  Though I would ask for an official ruling on it pls, since when I check it on PSN Profiles and playstationtrophies.org they both list RPG as one of its genres, yet truetrophies does not, so I was hoping a ruling on this one.  It is in my backlog so I still intend to play it but I hate controversy so asking now is easier.  I will pick a backup if it doesn't count and I am fine with using a swap for the backup since I asked so late about it.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration on this one.

Double Point Games:

Sakura Wars - PS4 (ATELIER RYZA: EVER DARKNESS & THE SECRET HIDEOUT - PS4 backup alternative)

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 4 - PS4

Triple Point Game:

Dark Rose Valkyrie - PS4

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spinacheq said:

Looks like I forgot to post my doubles and triple.

I would like one of my double point games to be sakura wars.  Though I would ask for an official ruling on it pls, since when I check it on PSN Profiles and playstationtrophies.org they both list RPG as one of its genres, yet truetrophies does not, so I was hoping a ruling on this one.  It is in my backlog so I still intend to play it but I hate controversy so asking now is easier.  I will pick a backup if it doesn't count and I am fine with using a swap for the backup since I asked so late about it.  Thanks in advance for your time and consideration on this one.

Double Point Games:

Sakura Wars - PS4 (ATELIER RYZA: EVER DARKNESS & THE SECRET HIDEOUT - PS4 backup alternative)

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 4 - PS4

Triple Point Game:

Dark Rose Valkyrie - PS4

I'm pretty sure it counts as long as its on 2/3 but if not then @Laburnski used it last competition so it should count and if not then you can point him out for a defense ;)

• 2 weeks later...

@Psy-Tychist Not trying to be rude so please don’t take it that way but can I ask what the go is with this competition? We haven’t really had any updates since the thread was created and we are over a week into the competition now too. 

I can’t speak for the other participants but I’ve been hesitant to start any games not knowing if any rules are being changed and there’s been a few unanswered questions too. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eternal_Rach said:

@Psy-Tychist Not trying to be rude so please don’t take it that way but can I ask what the go is with this competition? We haven’t really had any updates since the thread was created and we are over a week into the competition now too. 

I can’t speak for the other participants but I’ve been hesitant to start any games not knowing if any rules are being changed and there’s been a few unanswered questions too. 

I honestly didn't even realize we already started myself for some reason I thought it was starting April 10th lol

Answering questions:

On 01/03/2022 at 9:05 AM, AppleKratue said:

I'd add a rule that no autopops are allowed, especially the PS4 -> PS5 ones, as it can be exploited when someone gets a PS5 within the year and earns easy points from autopopping all the available PS4 RPGs.

Almost forgot, but somewhat important regardless. I personally wasn't a fan of adding points for games that weren't posted in this thread and would therefore make it mandatory to post here when a game is completed and points should count. I think the behaviour of checking profiles for completed games somewhat led to inactivity towards the end as points are counted anyway. I am not sure if there was someone who signed up and never posted again, but it would be possible. It also makes less work for you. If someone is unsure whether a game counts, they can post and ask.

Autopops have been disallowed since the issue with FF7R was brought up.

I do agree though, that points that are not put into the thread will not be counted, makes my life easier.

On 01/03/2022 at 8:46 PM, Leon Castle said:

If this new veto rule let's me not worrying if I have to count Non-RPGs as RPGs like One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 and Muv-Luv etc.

The Veto rule would apply to games that you believe don't count even if the tags say that it is.

On 02/03/2022 at 0:31 AM, Eternal_Rach said:

Time bonuses

I’m not sure if I’m for this or against this. I might have more to say when we know exactly how these bonuses are to be added. I feel like it’s one of those things that it’s hard to find a definitive answer on as everyone completes games at a different rate. Just because a site lists a game at 40 hours doesn’t mean it’s going to take every person that long so there will inevitably be undercutting or over awarding of points. If it is added the only thing I can suggest is to either scrap the most wanted list/bonus or have the time bonus not count on most wanted games otherwise we are kind of double dipping on points for those. 

Callouts

I didn’t really have any problems with how callouts were done last year. I’m fine with randomised callouts or us choosing our own again. I do think we need to implement a counter measure so people don’t miss out though. Possibly could set a date that all callouts need to be submitted by and if after that there are people who didn’t receive all their callouts Psy could nominate games for them instead. This way no one gets burnt by inactive competitors. 

Voting

I kind of want to see voting for games that we believe are RPGs but aren’t listed as such make a return in this season. We all have different ideas of what an RPG is and we all know how inaccurate genre tagging can be on most sites. It can be frustrating to complete a game that in your mind 100% counted only to find out it actually didn’t. I understand voting would require a fair amount of work and activity from all competitors but maybe this can be limited. You could set the amount of game challenges we can make in the season and set the amount of votes required for a game to count. 

Stacking

I touched on this last year and I understand it’s not in the spirit of the event but would still like to bring it up for potential changes. I propose that it be allowed specifically for remasters or enhanced editions with a few restrictions. The trophy list would be required to be different (either a specific amount of trophies or a percentage of trophies must be different). Could restrict the stack to be on a seperate console from the original. The stack will not count in part of a series bonus and can’t be picked as a double/triple/callout game. If that still seems too lenient could add a point penalty on top of the above restrictions. 

On all of these, I am still keeping the usage of platinum rarity over using time as a metric for scoring. I find that using both just adds extra guesswork and there is no real solution to using timing.

Callouts will be reduced to 2 games, but will be allowed to be free to give to whoever as with last year. The option of a callout shouldn't be restricted or be randomised.

Stacking is still an issue. Remasters and Enhanced editions are just basically the same game with a slightly different trophy list. Main exceptions to this are Shadow of the Colossus and Final Fantasy 7 Remake. But I feel that if the trophy list is fundamentally different, then the game should be allowed.

On 03/03/2022 at 2:46 PM, fisty123 said:

It also worked the other way, when PSNP decided to show genre tags and when it was found out what site the information came from (I can't remember the site now) There were long time members of that site changing game tags when they felt their decision to remove a tag was right. It was called out a few times back then but I lost all interest in it and never seen the final outcome.

True Trophies is the closest one supporting PSN when it comes to genre listings but they also break a lot of it up for example a turn based RPG will sometimes just get the turn base tag only, now most people will go yep that's RPG but not everyone. Another issue with them is sometimes they are too this or that, a game that may have RPG elements and build using an RPG base but the game style is Metroidvania they will only list is as a Metroidvania game.

Due to above I feel a vote type system would be good or a call out system, most people check this leaderboard from time to time even without posting but if we see an update and go hang on a minute I played that and it is not an RPG then we call it out for review one that came to mind in last season was Chicory: A Colorful Tale, it has a the RPG tag here  on PSNP but a few of us played it and went yep it's no RPG, there was some tiny parts maybe but no where near enough to count so it got called out and we decided not to allow it.
What this also did was bring a topic to the board allow members to interact instead of just being update posts.

Another one I tend to check is Steam, I don't use Stream personally but normally their tags are pretty close however sometimes go tag crazy and add a few that are not really needed.

I am allowing the use of voting whether a game should count as an RPG. I am still using the 3 sites as a base for whether it should count, but considering that the people playing the games will have a better idea whether it should count, that should be taken into account.

On 13/03/2022 at 5:17 AM, Sendai-Horatio said:

Question would the Fate Extella games be considered RPGs since they have a leveling and equipment ability system? They were similar to Dynasty Warriors games but many Action RPGs have taken this route like both Utawarerumono Zan games and some Dynasty Warriors games like Dragon Quest Heroes do have the RPG tag on them.

If the tags on PSNP, TT and/or PST show that they are RPG, then yes. If you believe the game is definitely an RPG, then you can champion it here.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2022 at 8:27 AM, CaptainMonkster said:

I've ctos a huge backlog of rpgs so sign me up please! don't know how well I'll do but I'll still time it a shot! 

Do we need to give a list of games we hope to achieve before the event starts? 

Preferably, the games you believe are RPG's, keep a note of or post in the thread to show what the % is so that points can be updated accurately.

On 14/03/2022 at 0:48 PM, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I'm not taking the piss but can I count my Kingdom Hearts smurf account? @Deadly_Ha_Ha_KH - I only have BBS PS3 on there right now but I plan on doing every stack of every Kingdom Hearts game and it would be nice to be able to count the progress on that account for this challenge. I have the ones I planned on having on this account already

You can have one PSN account to use in the event. Please let me know which one.

On 21/03/2022 at 7:19 PM, Armored_Oso66 said:

Does completing a game that I had previously started only have the new trophies count point wise? For example I have Dark Rose Valkyrie at 56% (I think) so if I completed it during the event will only the other 44% count?

You mentioned auto popping will not count, but I assuming if I replayed through a game from beginning to end than it should be OK? For example if I wanted to replay FF7R for PS5 since I already completed the PS4 version.

And finally can anyone confirm if the Atelier DX games have their own trophy sets or if they share the same list with their other counterparts, i.e PS3, PS4, Vita?

All games count, but only the trophies earned with the Plat/100% completion will earn points.

If you have a version you haven't completed, then you can play it. Points will only count for the game if it isn't autopopped, and if you are playing both two versions for example, the game you finish first will count.

On 21/03/2022 at 8:18 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Btw since most of them are quite hard or grindy already. I like to ask Diablo 2 Resurrected be included on the Most Wanted List this year as well. I played the PC version for years and can definitely say attempting it would be a massive grind and difficulty with the current list it has and would add a more recent title to the list.

If this is voted for to be added, I shall add it to the Most Wanted List.

On 23/03/2022 at 4:19 PM, Laburnski said:

I support this as well, game looks challenging enough to be added to the MW list. Also if possible can we add Final Fantasy XIV ( PS5 version ) too since we have Elder scroll online there. Too bad i cant plat it using this account but would be interesting to see ppl trying to plat / 100% it within a year

If this is voted for to be added, I shall add it to the Most Wanted List.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 3:21 AM, Laburnski said:

Are there any additional rules for this year event? Or just like previous year?

There are some tweaks, but most of the rules are still the same. See previous posts.

On 31/03/2022 at 11:26 AM, FreeSpark22 said:

@Psy-Tychist Is it possible for me to join on a new account? And is today the deadline for game submissions?

Which account would you like to use? 

On 09/04/2022 at 5:10 AM, Eternal_Rach said:

I've tried to answer all questions that I have seen above. The competition did start on April 1st, I'm just updating the page as I haven't had access to a computer to update very well.

I'm sorry I haven't been updating or answering questions. I haven't had much access to a computer to update things very well and have been struggling irl.

Hopefully everything is going to be on track and we can have a lot of fun playing RPG's again this year.

• Like 2