Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

5 minutes ago, Timo425 said:

For a game that plays well as a single playthrough, i'd agree. But in my opinion souls games are inherently multi playthrough games, so your point is kind of moot. You have made it quite clear that you want games to be a single playthrough "one-and-done" deals, no matter what kind of game it is, and i just find the whole concept very limiting. And even if it was fine for souls games to be single playthrough (which it kind of is already if you want to cheese it), then i still disagree that making all trophies non-missables isn't limiting to trophy design. You just don't want to replay for a single second, that's all there is to it and its your personal taste. Just accept it and don't try to act like it would benefit majority.

I don't necessarily want games to be "one and done" deals, I want trophies to be one and done deals :) There are some games I played through multiple times because they gave me an incentive to and were REALLY different experiences each time. Trophies however are, at least for me, not enough incentive to do so.

I just don't see how the game could not still be "inherently multi playthrough" and still not feature missable trophies? I mean there are myn games like that out there. I wholeheartedly believe that it would take nothing away from the game. People who like replaying the game will also do so if there is no trophy incentive. Hell, I'm even sure that a wast majority of people that bought Elden Ring don't even care about trophies. There are people on Steam that have literally hundreds of hours logged into Dark Souls but don't have all the achievements - because they don't care about them. But they still played the game multiple times anyway.

Now, I know you will say "but there will be people who will only replay it because of the trophies" - and that's probably true. Is it a massive number of people though? Is it a bigger number than the number of people that are annoyed by missables? I don't know, you don't know and we cannot even speculate on that. What I know however is to which camp I belong to ;) And that's all I'm voicing here: that I don't like those trophies and I would be so glad if no one comes up with this kind of trophy again!

And honestly, I also think the devs don't really care about trophies in many cases, hence the  - in my opinion - "lazy" collectible trophies and so on. They don't care that trophies are missable because they deem them unimportant. Because, again taking the Horizon 2 trophy as an example, the result could be a frustrating experience for the player. And usually, games should try to avoid frustrating the player. Games are entertainment and the goal is to provide the player a good time, not to make him angry.

And before anyone now twists my words again: the sentence "give the player a good time, not make him angry" is not advocating making games easy!!! If a game is hard and you lack the skill, you have yourself to blame. You might not enjoy it but it's on you and your skill. That is not the same as giving the player a bad experience because a trophy is designed in a way that you might miss it without it being your fault! It's two different things. Not being good enough to beat a boss might be frustrating, but you can work on it and "git gud". Being locked out of a trophy and having to replay a whole game because the dev simply did not pay attention or did not care - a whole other kind of frustrating!

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not half as stupid and annoying as this thread has become, and you seem perfectly willing to engage with it

Dude, you made your point.

Everyone read it.

No one agreed.

Time to move on, no? 

No I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS AND I NEED TO BE HEARD!!!!

also follow my twitter plz!!!!

(don't take this seriously now  ?)

On 02/03/2022 at 2:49 PM, Valkyre4 said:

Because I am afraid it is too big, and knowing me I will have earned like 90% of the trophies on my first run, and by then I'd be pretty much burned out to go for another playthrough just for a few trophies. 

You need to stop putting trophies before everything else. Gaming should be fun. I think somewhere along the way you've forgotten that. Just play the game. Look up things for the second playthrough.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sicho said:

I don't necessarily want games to be "one and done" deals, I want trophies to be one and done deals :) 

Yes I meant "games" as in trophies. I just inherently disagree with equating finishing a playthrough to getting a plat, even if you need to do some non-missable challenges on the way or whatever.

Let me be clear, I don't mind trophy lists that are like this, often it's a nice break, but I don't want every-single-game-in-existence to be like this. I think most others don't either. And yes, I'm with you with annoying missables that cost you dozens of hours if you didn't play with a ton of guides by your side, but ER is not one of these games.

There are some games I played through multiple times because they gave me an incentive to and were REALLY different experiences each time. Trophies however are, at least for me, not enough incentive to do so.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that every game in existence needs to be one-and-done trophy wise. I am currently also playing Disco Elysium for example, most of the trophies are missables and I would have it no other way. I can't even imagine how the game would be like with no missables, the trophy list would be pathetic imo. Not because it would be easier or shorter to get the trophies, but because the trophy list would be so boring cookie cutter. By the nature of being missables, the trophies force you to explore 95% of the game's possibilities and the game is very good for replays. Personally, I would just lose interest in trophies if they would basically be just medals for completing the playthrough, even if a single playthrough is just 50% of the game.

I just don't see how the game could not still be "inherently multi playthrough" and still not feature missable trophies?

The problem isn't missable trophies, the problem is your bizarre need for a single playthrough to give plat for every game out there. For some reason you have decided that platinums are indicators if you have finished the game or not and never question it. For a lot of people trophies are challenges, for some trophies are a completionist thing, for some they are both. Simply finishing the story does not fulfill either of these criteria for a lot of games, and I personally don't think it does for souls games either. But your attitude just disregards all this and somehow everyone should just think that trophies are tied to finishing the game, once (plus maybe some extra challenges or collectibles). It's fine if that's how you personally want it, but don't shove it down the throat of others.

I wholeheartedly believe that it would take nothing away from the game. People who like replaying the game will also do so if there is no trophy incentive.

Your point is still kind of random. Why not just move the goalposts further back? What if finishing the tutorial gave a plat and exploring the rest of the playthrough was just up to the incentive of the players? Why draw the line at finishing the game? Me, and I think many others, see completionism in a game as plaything through it and then discovering the rest either by replaying it or doing the rest of the collectibles. This is how I see plats and this is how it generally has been. But now the almighty Sicho has decided, that no, finishing the game is enough for plat, no exceptions, and anyone who protests is just being stubborn or dumb. What could go wrong, right?

Now, I know you will say "but there will be people who will only replay it because of the trophies" - and that's probably true. Is it a massive number of people though? Is it a bigger number than the number of people that are annoyed by missables? I don't know, you don't know and we cannot even speculate on that

I have a big problem with you group all the missables the same. There is a big difference between a missable that is almost impossible to miss and even if you do, you can get it relatively quickly on 2nd playthrough and a missable that costs you dozens of hours of unecessary time. These are just not the same, don't talk about them like they are the same. I agree with you on the annoying missables, but I adisgree with you trying to assert that all missables ever in every game ever made is bad.

People who like replaying the game will also do so if there is no trophy incentive. Hell, I'm even sure that a wast majority of people that bought Elden Ring don't even care about trophies. There are people on Steam that have literally hundreds of hours logged into Dark Souls but don't have all the achievements - because they don't care about them. But they still played the game multiple times anyway.

It goes without saying that we are talking about people who care about trophies.

And that's all I'm voicing here: that I don't like those trophies and I would be so glad if no one comes up with this kind of trophy again!

Which is fine as your personal opinion. Just don't act as a lord and savior descending from the sky to save us all from missables.

And honestly, I also think the devs don't really care about trophies in many cases, hence the  - in my opinion - "lazy" collectible trophies and so on. They don't care that trophies are missable because they deem them unimportant. Because, again taking the Horizon 2 trophy as an example, the result could be a frustrating experience for the player. And usually, games should try to avoid frustrating the player.

Look, trophies have got easier in years, it was worse in my opinion in early PS3 days. About Horizon 2, I never played the game but it indeed looks like an annoyingly unecessary trophy. I agree with you! Does that mean every missable ever in existence should be erased from existence, at least in future games. NO! Badly designed missables? Sure.

Not being good enough to beat a boss might be frustrating, but you can work on it and "git gud". Being locked out of a trophy and having to replay a whole game because the dev simply did not pay attention or did not care - a whole other kind of frustrating!

Sure, I agree. But ER doesn't seem that way. A lot of missables are not that way. Why remove missables from all games that will be ever made?

You might say that ER indeed falls also under the category of annoying missables, but I wholeheartedly disagree, especially compared to older souls games.

Instead of trying to nuke all missables from existence, maybe try to accept that replaying a game is not universally bad and is just part of the process. And even if you disagree and think even pressing X on that new game + might give you a heart attack, well fine, that's fine by me if you think that way. But don't act like you have THE SOLUTION how trophies should be for all trophy hunters.

Edited by Timo425
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sicho said:

And honestly, I also think the devs don't really care about trophies in many cases, hence the  - in my opinion - "lazy" collectible trophies and so on. They don't care that trophies are missable because they deem them unimportant.

5 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Being locked out of a trophy and having to replay a whole game because the dev simply did not pay attention or did not care - a whole other kind of frustrating!

...because they are unimportant, everyone decides for themselves how high they value them. Getting trophies in a game doesn't benefit you in any way, you don't gain anything from it besides a feeling of accomplishment and a place in a community made ranking that lost its value because of all the devs that do care about trophies - in terms of money that they can make from people that basically buy platinum trophies (but deny doing so most of the time). Without these community made rankings, trophies are worthless, just a little programmed bling that happens once in a while during a game. The only thing Sony ever did with trophies is that they rewarded a few lucky people around the world that happened to live in a region where you could get cash for a certain amount of trophy points iirc, but nothing else. Not even an offcial ranking.
Honestly, most people would probably slow down on trophy hunting or stop entirely if this website and similar ones would shut down for good. No way do many here compete against family members of friends in real life that would motivate them enough to either get infamous platinums like Super Meat Boy or to buy cheap and shitty 'trophy games'. There would be no reason to do these things.
So many people also seem to forget that devs don't make games for trophy hunters, but for gamers, who also happen to enjoy getting trophies sometimes. But trophy hunters are the minority of gamers, especially the hardcore hunters. Why should devs spent days on a 'perfect trophy list' that only a fraction of players care about? They want you to enjoy the game, get as much gameplay and enjoyment out of it as possible so that no one can complain - which means good reviews - which means good sales. So what if there is a missable trophy in a big 100+ hour RPG, who cares? Certainly not the 100k+ people that praise Elden Ring as a fantastic game regardless of a handful of missable trophies. Sales won't increase drastically just because all trophies can be obtained in one playthrough.
I personally like it if a game like Elden Ring has so many mysteries (only some of them tied to trophies)  that even after several playthroughs, you still find something new. It gives a game replay value. It gives reason to explore a game again. You're not necessarily meant to play a game like this in one go, but many times over. In a few weeks or months again; when a new DLC comes out; in a few years when you want to enjoy the world of Elden Ring again (or any other big RPG with missable ending/collectable/decision trophies).
This should be something positive, yet people regard it as something negative.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lowlliet said:

But, guys, everything you’re complaining about here is part of the challenge obtaining those items and the trophy. As I said before, trophies are achievements for doing something special in the game and yes, often in specific ways. How devs intended to get them. 

If you want games where trophies are easy and not missable, you can find those games. Even better, you can go and make those games. But you can’t force devs to make trophies according to you and your needs. It’s stupid. 

F.e. I got platinum from Titan Souls, which you have to complete without running or on Hard mode. Did something force me to play that way? No! But those were the things I needed to do for platinum, so I learned how to play that game good and got it. That’s how it’s supposed to be. 

Take one look at my profile. One look. I'm not going to waste my time discussing the ethics and standards of trophies to you, because I have done exactly what you described.

38 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Take one look at my profile. One look. I'm not going to waste my time discussing the ethics and standards of trophies to you, because I have done exactly what you described.

ONE LOOK!!!!!! AHHHHHhHHhHhH

17 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

You need to stop putting trophies before everything else. Gaming should be fun. I think somewhere along the way you've forgotten that. Just play the game. Look up things for the second playthrough.

Not that his account is anything special. Hidden trophies, Red Dead Redemption 2 not complete. It makes perfect sense why he started this thread.

16 hours ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

...because they are unimportant, everyone decides for themselves how high they value them. Getting trophies in a game doesn't benefit you in any way, you don't gain anything from it besides a feeling of accomplishment and a place in a community made ranking that lost its value because of all the devs that do care about trophies - in terms of money that they can make from people that basically buy platinum trophies (but deny doing so most of the time). Without these community made rankings, trophies are worthless, just a little programmed bling that happens once in a while during a game. The only thing Sony ever did with trophies is that they rewarded a few lucky people around the world that happened to live in a region where you could get cash for a certain amount of trophy points iirc, but nothing else. Not even an offcial ranking.
Honestly, most people would probably slow down on trophy hunting or stop entirely if this website and similar ones would shut down for good. No way do many here compete against family members of friends in real life that would motivate them enough to either get infamous platinums like Super Meat Boy or to buy cheap and shitty 'trophy games'. There would be no reason to do these things.
So many people also seem to forget that devs don't make games for trophy hunters, but for gamers, who also happen to enjoy getting trophies sometimes. But trophy hunters are the minority of gamers, especially the hardcore hunters. Why should devs spent days on a 'perfect trophy list' that only a fraction of players care about? They want you to enjoy the game, get as much gameplay and enjoyment out of it as possible so that no one can complain - which means good reviews - which means good sales. So what if there is a missable trophy in a big 100+ hour RPG, who cares? Certainly not the 100k+ people that praise Elden Ring as a fantastic game regardless of a handful of missable trophies. Sales won't increase drastically just because all trophies can be obtained in one playthrough.
I personally like it if a game like Elden Ring has so many mysteries (only some of them tied to trophies)  that even after several playthroughs, you still find something new. It gives a game replay value. It gives reason to explore a game again. You're not necessarily meant to play a game like this in one go, but many times over. In a few weeks or months again; when a new DLC comes out; in a few years when you want to enjoy the world of Elden Ring again (or any other big RPG with missable ending/collectable/decision trophies).
This should be something positive, yet people regard it as something negative.

Nintendo Switch doesn't have any achievements or trophies, and look how well that has done these past couple years.

It's pointless to keep making discussions like this, as most of us, including Sicho himself, have been trophy hunting for years at this point.

If you want to stretch this even further, Xbox Achievements are just as meaningless as PlayStation Trophies. In fact the achievements on Xbox actually predate trophies. I still remember playing a Xbox 360 back in circa 2007. Halo 3 was given achievements back in 2007. Sony didn't have a platinum trophy for any game until Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which was August of 2008. Super Stardust HD was the first game to ever get a trophy list.

Steam Achievements have their own communities as well (that don't just automatically cheat), but hey, this is a trophy website for one console developer (Sony), we couldn't give a shit less about Xbox Achievements or Steam on the PC.

It's always amusing to see more casual trophy hunters try to explain to us more dedicated, hardcore players that only a small fraction of people ever gave a damn. That's the truth, but you guys can't pretend that this isn't the same situation as what you will find on Steam or on Xbox.

You guys always say 'play for fun', which I have done for decades for the vast majority of my games and that certainly isn't going to stop because of trophies or achievements or whatever.

The completionist type of gamer was always the minority.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Exactly, and even if you still want to go for trophies, there's hundreds of games with fun trophy lists, so just go for them!

Like I'd rather experience 5 different worlds/stories/adventures of 30 hour plats, then be frustrated playing a 150 hour plat lol. My "longest" plat was Yakuza Kiwami, at like 80 hours, and that was a still a fun experience.

• Like 2

I personally can't really enjoy games "just for fun", I usually get bored before I even get through the first playthrough. Trophies are a nice carrot on a stick for me to keep playing. ? My platinum count is also low for 12 year timespan, as you can see i'm just not interested in a lot of games.

Edited by Timo425
  • Like 1

None of the trophies requires you to grind anything, unlike some of the previous entries. This game is just huge. It's not Dark Souls 4. It is Dark Souls 4, 5 and 6 at once. I'm currently at 55 hours and probably will have platinum around 80 or 90 hours mark. Using save scum at the finale, of course. 

The game itself is great. I liked Sekiro more, but it is truly one Souls game to rule them all.

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Nintendo Switch doesn't have any achievements or trophies, and look how well that has done these past couple years.

It's pointless to keep making discussions like this, as most of us, including Sicho himself, have been trophy hunting for years at this point.

If you want to stretch this even further, Xbox Achievements are just as meaningless as PlayStation Trophies. In fact the achievements on Xbox actually predate trophies. I still remember playing a Xbox 360 back in circa 2007. Halo 3 was given achievements back in 2007. Sony didn't have a platinum trophy for any game until Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which was August of 2008. Super Stardust HD was the first game to ever get a trophy list.

Steam Achievements have their own communities as well (that don't just automatically cheat), but hey, this is a trophy website for one console developer (Sony), we couldn't give a shit less about Xbox Achievements or Steam on the PC.

It's always amusing to see more casual trophy hunters try to explain to us more dedicated, hardcore players that only a small fraction of people ever gave a damn. That's the truth, but you guys can't pretend that this isn't the same situation as what you will find on Steam or on Xbox.

You guys always say 'play for fun', which I have done for decades for the vast majority of my games and that certainly isn't going to stop because of trophies or achievements or whatever.

The completionist type of gamer was always the minority.

My main point wasn't even to bash on trophy hunters or try to discourage it in any way but just to make it obvious why devs don't care about a trophy list.
Trophies are only worth what you think they are worth, we agree on that. Most think they're not even worth noticing, others develop unhealthy habits because they deem them as a 'most important thing' in life. It varies from person to person and goes hand in hand with the community. But all that has nothing to do with developers.
It's kinda arrogant to expect devs to care about a trophy list if the main goal for them is to publish a game and get big profit, and not to please a minority. And like I said, making the trophy list more 'user friendly' doesn't yield higher profits (especially not for difficulty themed games like Elden Ring).There is simply no reason to expect them to care enough, that should be obvious. Most trophy lists aren't aimed at the completionists plain and simple. They didn't think about the >1% of gamers that will complain about a missable one (or decide to not buy the game altogether), nor should they.
Shitting on the devs for including a handful of missable trophies or a collectable type of trophy in a big game is just illogical. Ironic, even. (not pointing the finger at anyone) But demanding that a game gets a more casual and straightforward trophy list, and then go complain that a platinum is common in another thread, or a boring trophy list, a too easy trophy list, or any other minuscule problem that you yourself basically wished for, is ironic. It's the other way around as well, only that the complaints change to things like a trophy is too difficult to get, too many collectables, too many complex trophies etc.  These twisted wishes and expectations happen all the time.
There's no right for devs, only wrong.

Back on topic: I'm pretty sure, if Elden Ring didn't have missables, people would just find another reason to complain about the list. I can understand being frustrated with buggy trophies, nonsensical ones that have nothing to do with a game, muliplayer ones in games that are 90% single player etc. 
But a second playthrough in a game made for several playthroughs? Hm, maybe dodge roll it idk? ?

1 hour ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

My main point wasn't even to bash on trophy hunters or try to discourage it in any way but just to make it obvious why devs don't care about a trophy list.
Trophies are only worth what you think they are worth, we agree on that. Most think they're not even worth noticing, others develop unhealthy habits because they deem them as a 'most important thing' in life. It varies from person to person and goes hand in hand with the community. But all that has nothing to do with developers.
It's kinda arrogant to expect devs to care about a trophy list if the main goal for them is to publish a game and get big profit, and not to please a minority. And like I said, making the trophy list more 'user friendly' doesn't yield higher profits (especially not for difficulty themed games like Elden Ring).There is simply no reason to expect them to care enough, that should be obvious. Most trophy lists aren't aimed at the completionists plain and simple. They didn't think about the >1% of gamers that will complain about a missable one (or decide to not buy the game altogether), nor should they.
Shitting on the devs for including a handful of missable trophies or a collectable type of trophy in a big game is just illogical. Ironic, even. (not pointing the finger at anyone) But demanding that a game gets a more casual and straightforward trophy list, and then go complain that a platinum is common in another thread, or a boring trophy list, a too easy trophy list, or any other minuscule problem that you yourself basically wished for, is ironic. It's the other way around as well, only that the complaints change to things like a trophy is too difficult to get, too many collectables, too many complex trophies etc.  These twisted wishes and expectations happen all the time.
There's no right for devs, only wrong.

Back on topic: I'm pretty sure, if Elden Ring didn't have missables, people would just find another reason to complain about the list. I can understand being frustrated with buggy trophies, nonsensical ones that have nothing to do with a game, muliplayer ones in games that are 90% single player etc. 
But a second playthrough in a game made for several playthroughs? Hm, maybe dodge roll it idk? 1f914.png

And you basically run around the bush here.

I'm not some kid that just stumbled onto trophies. For the record I've been gaming for 30 years, and I always yearned to get the most out of my games which means exploring every nook and cranny whenever I can. So in a sense, I've always been a completionist. I get satisfaction out of being one of a select few, rather than just grab some participation award that millions of other people already got.

Admittedly, I'm a part of that 1 percentile of gamers who goes above and beyond to achieve something. You watch people speedrun Super Mario Bros. Sure, tens of millions of people have played it, but an extremely small percentile of people will actually try to speedrun it.

You speak like some business spokesperson who repeats the motto "We are investing our marketing and financial resources into attracting a larger portion of our audience while maximizing profits." That is what EA, Microsoft and Ubisoft are at this point. Does it bother me that companies have to make a chunk of money? No, but as gaming has become more popular over the past decade I have seen several potential projects get gutted while games that I feel don't really deserve the praise and attention get all the profits.

Elden Ring is a fresh breath of air. I'm sick and tired of massive budget AAA games being released unfinished and having full of microtransactions. I am tired of seeing these huge companies continue to rake in billions of dollars every year while the consumers and employees suffer. Japan seems to be one of the few left who can still make awesome, fantastic games. They are also more prone to actually releasing a game finished, unlike EA or Ubisoft who just release their crap unfinished so the players game test their titles.

Gaming used to be niche. And I feel the medium was a lot better when it was niche. Modern gaming to me, outside of some games here and there, is practically dead.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Maybe it's my lack of understanding because english is not my first language, but what you're talking about has almost nothing to do with what I was saying (if it even was aimed at me). You're not the target of my rant. ?
I have nothing against these >1% of completionists that go above and beyond. On the contrary, I respect that. I could never accomplish getting the Super Meat Boy or Crypt of the NecroDancer platinum for example. I've completed a few annoying and difficult games, even beyond playstation, I know what it's like to be truly satisfied with what you achieved. But exactly because of that I wouldn't want to get a trophy handed on a silver platter. That would take a huge amount of fun out of it.
But anyway, I'm not entirely sure if we agree or not, but nevertheless I think it's unfair to give devs fault for including a missable trophy, that's all I'm gonna say. The game itself is fantastic, even if it wouldn't have any trophies. And EAs, Ubisoft's and Microsoft's profit ideas and buggy releases are entirely different topics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

But a second playthrough in a game made for several playthroughs? Hm, maybe dodge roll it idk? 1f914.png

You can say that again, there is always someone who will complain about something.

The truth is that ER has very good trophy list with no glaring annoyances, as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 2

The only 2 missable Trophies are the ranni ending quest line which requires a lot of steps but not hard overall, and the giant dragon golden legendary spear in golden city. So its not that much of a hassle to do it all in 1 playthrough if you save scum the 3 endings after last boss. I personally dont mind reading a few spoilers to make sure i dont miss them. Still best game ever made and played in my opinion.