Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

Basically nothing is missable... one weapon, that's it. Just save scum the endings. If you miss the weapon in the capital beeline for the capital at the beginning of the game and use a speedrun trick like this:

and you can get in without having defeated any bosses.

• Like 1

Don't play a game if you won't enjoy it. Just get free trophies ones if that's what you want. I'm not sure the degree of missability of trophies though, as I think I got everything besides the other endings, so again, someone who miss anything is someone who isn't enjoying the game and just rushing thought it, which is a shame for one of the best games ever made. Also, there's multiple endings so you need to play the game several times. Though again, since you don't seem to like it, probably you'll just use a savefile trick. Not even completing the quests which is the most potentially missable thing are related to trophies, the trophy list is super easy. And pretty good quality too, trophies for doing the game content, instead of making you waste your time repeating the same process over and over like stupid grindy ones.

Well, the fact you seem to be using a walktrough in your first playthrough already tells me how you care about the game, you just destroyed one of the best experiences a videogame can give you, as discovering everything by yourself, getting surprised by unexpected places and events, is one of the most wonderful things of From Software games, espcially Elden Ring due to the world design. You could have saved the potential 100+ if you just wanted a platinum and do 20-40 easy plats in that time.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 0:17 PM, cy1999aek_maik said:

lol I remember seeing this post a month ago when the game first came out. 1 month later and people are still shitting on the poor soul that decided to make this thread

A bad take on a future Game of the Year will do that. it's getting a good amount of 100% completion on all platforms because it's not only a darn good list, it's one of the best games this generation.

Bandai predicted they would sell 4 million copies in the first month, and here we are at 12+ million and counting.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 10:20 AM, technole said:

A bad take on a future Game of the Year will do that. it's getting a good amount of 100% completion on all platforms because it's not only a darn good list, it's one of the best games this generation.

Bandai predicted they would sell 4 million copies in the first month, and here we are at 12+ million and counting.

missables are still shit, no matter how good a game is :P

About to head to the mountain of giants, so far so good.  I've fucked up some quest lines but nothing trophy related thanks to powerpyx guide, which is easy to follow (I'm just keeping an eye on it). 

Should have the platinum by end of next week, I think. 

Edit:

I'm using the Frost Knight build from fextralife, not 100% but still slaps as I have it (missing some items and gotta re-spec) + max out mimic. 

Edited by Fr_0zt

I can't even say how good this game felt to complete.

Not sure how somebody can complain about a game having an enormous playtime with even many different ways to beat it.

There is no special spec which you have to paly to beat the game. Play as you like and you can beat it anyway.

And nowadays you mostly pay 70€+ for a 30 hour platinum which feels super underwelming.

So 70€ for 100 hours + is a great deal I think.

I must admit, I cheesed the endings by reloading my savegame and beating the final boss several times to see all endings withing a short time, because I didn't wanna run several playthroughs due to the limited playtime I have.

But, for those who want to, it's great to have the opportunity to do so.

After completing a game doesn't ultimately also mean to stop playing it.

I still enjoy collecting things I missed in my playthrough, armaments for example (ok. funny word for equipment :D )

Be happy to have a game with such potential instead of complaining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calypox said:

II must admit, I cheesed the endings by reloading my savegame and beating the final boss several times to see all endings withing a short time, because I didn't wanna run several playthroughs due to the limited playtime I have.

You don't need to beat the final boss over and over, unless something has changed since I platted it.

• Like 1

I was able to get the Platinum in one play through (by reloading my save before choosing the ending option) and I didn't need a guide for the most part. Yeah, I glanced at the guide briefly when I was about 75% of the way through the game just to see if there was anything I needed to know, but I intentionally avoided using a guide prior to that because I wanted to enjoy the game at my own pace, explore and find things, etc. To be honest, if you just take your time, explore all the areas, talk to the NPC's and use the Fextralife Wiki as a reference if you get stuck with some quest line or puzzle then you'll more than likely get everything you need to do done without ever looking at a guide. I did this and I didn't miss anything related to endings, didn't miss any weapons or other items needed for trophies, and found and killed all the optional bosses before finally finishing the game.

I think many trophy hunters become far too reliant on guides and sometimes lose sight of the fact that much of the time you can get a platinum just by playing the game. I've intentionally stopped worrying about trophies and it's made my gaming experience more enjoyable lately. If the first thing you do before even launching (or buying) a game is to look at a guide only to find out there's a bunch of potentially missable stuff, your play through is going to be impacted by concerns of missing things and you'll be constantly checking guides to make sure you don't.

Digital brownie points are pretty meaningless, and while trophies are nice to get and give you that little burst of excitement when they pop, you may also find that not worrying about them all the time makes gaming more fun. Elden Ring is a game where you will only get that experience of exploring and discovering on your own once, since subsequent playthroughs become more efficient since you know where to go to get stuff you need and that sense of discovery is lost. Don't ruin that by worrying about trophies.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Swotam said:

I was able to get the Platinum in one play through (by reloading my save before choosing the ending option) and I didn't need a guide for the most part. Yeah, I glanced at the guide briefly when I was about 75% of the way through the game just to see if there was anything I needed to know, but I intentionally avoided using a guide prior to that because I wanted to enjoy the game at my own pace, explore and find things, etc. To be honest, if you just take your time, explore all the areas, talk to the NPC's and use the Fextralife Wiki as a reference if you get stuck with some quest line or puzzle then you'll more than likely get everything you need to do done without ever looking at a guide. I did this and I didn't miss anything related to endings, didn't miss any weapons or other items needed for trophies, and found and killed all the optional bosses before finally finishing the game.

I think many trophy hunters become far too reliant on guides and sometimes lose sight of the fact that much of the time you can get a platinum just by playing the game. I've intentionally stopped worrying about trophies and it's made my gaming experience more enjoyable lately. If the first thing you do before even launching (or buying) a game is to look at a guide only to find out there's a bunch of potentially missable stuff, your play through is going to be impacted by concerns of missing things and you'll be constantly checking guides to make sure you don't.

Digital brownie points are pretty meaningless, and while trophies are nice to get and give you that little burst of excitement when they pop, you may also find that not worrying about them all the time makes gaming more fun. Elden Ring is a game where you will only get that experience of exploring and discovering on your own once, since subsequent playthroughs become more efficient since you know where to go to get stuff you need and that sense of discovery is lost. Don't ruin that by worrying about trophies.

Nicely put. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went into this game, fully expecting multiple playthrouhgs would be required.  I didn't look at any guides, and beat most of it playing offline, because I found messages spammed all over the world ruined the aesthetic and were too spoily.  About 80 hours in I started getting tired of the game (it felt like it would never end).  By that time I figured I'd take a look at the guide to see what is actually required for the plat.  I was pleasantly surprised none of the collectibles were missable.  Through sheer luck I happened to collect that one weapon that gets covered up by ash later on.  The major problem was I got marked by the two fingers, meaning I was locked into the Frenzy Ending.  I resigned myself to having to do another playthrough, but luckily googled if there's a way to reverse the brand first, and sure enough there was.  Luckily I never killed any NPC's, so I managed to complete the quest for the needle, and then through some save scumming at the end got all 3 endings starting with the frenzy one first.

But I fully agree with the OP.  There should be no missable trophies, period. You should be able to pick all of them up through chapter select at the very least.  Stop making trophies that depend on decisions made early in the game.  It just pushes people to look at the guides, and spoil themselves for the sake of saving time.

I mean 300 hours if you don't use backup saves to see all the endings in one playrough. For most people this will be an 80-100 hour play. Less even with optimised builds. Like I get it, you sound like you like to do a blind playthrough first before you look at the trophy guide. That's fine and all. But come on mate, you can't have it both ways. Either have a semi spoiled run and use back up saves or play this magnificent game for 300 hours.

As for missable stuff I think this is one of the more lenient souls games. Compared to DS3 requiring NG++ and DS 2 with all those gesture NPC quests that were very easy to fail at I think this is a relatively straightforward souls list. Some are even saying this is one of the easiest souls games. With the stake of Marika's you don't even have to skum save to avoid runbacks most of the time. 

Edited by grim_fendango

Missable trophies are annoying as fuck and why are people mocking you just for saying you’re unhappy with the fact there are many missable trophies? It’s not like you’re complaining about the game being hard, just about the fact that there are several miserable trophies.

Edited by BrettyBoy

On 02/03/2022 at 1:58 PM, mega-tallica said:

Another day and another person complaining about missable trophies... Dying Light 2 all over again. 

Considering most games being released nowadays have incredibly easy trophy lists, it seems it's beginning to spoil people and some people now have the expectation that all games should be equally easy and gift you a platinum just for playing it and when they don't, somehow that means the trophy list is 'bad'. It shouldn't be a requirement for developers to cater their game and trophy list to a relatively small niche of people who only play games for trophies and nothing else. 

There used to be a time where most games didn't have such easy trophy lists and they actually were a challenge and required a little something called effort. Nowadays, we get games like Horizon 2 that only requires 50% game completion for a platinum. It's become a joke. 

And this is coming from a guy who only goes for platinum on easy games generally but at least I have the self-awareness of it and don't complain when a trophy list for a game is more difficult than I want. I just don't go for the platinum on those game then, simple, but there still needs to be a place for games with more difficult trophy lists. They shouldn't all be easy and that makes it all the more rewarding if you manage to earn it. 

He didn’t say that he wants platinums to be easy, he said he just doesn’t like trophies being missable which I agree with. There is a difference between wanting platinums to be easy and wanting trophies to not be missable tbh.

On 2022-06-26 at 9:14 AM, BrettyBoy said:

Missable trophies are annoying as fuck and why are people mocking you just for saying you’re unhappy with the fact there are many missable trophies? It’s not like you’re complaining about the game being hard, just about the fact that there are several miserable trophies.

Because there really aren’t any missable trophies in this game. There is one Legendary armament that is technically missable as it’s found in the capital, and the capital later changes after progressing the story. But in that worst case scenario that you didn’t grab it in time you can simply get another player to drop one for you. I don’t think there’s anything else in the game that can actually be missed. 

I just played through the entire game completely blind and only consulted a guide for that one missable weapon, and to make sure I was correctly advancing Ranni’s quest line when I was about halfway through (and it turns out this wasn’t even necessary). As far as I could tell, it didn’t even seem possible to fail the many quest lines throughout the story, unlike previous games where this was often a problem due to the obtuse and subtle quest design.

Compared to previous games, Elden Ring is EXTREMELY lenient and allows the player to just fully explore and discover the world for yourself. No need to follow guides and checklists if you don’t want to. Everything will be right where it’s supposed to be if you need to find it later. ?

I got the point of OP, though there are more annoying games in this regard like Deus Ex, where almost half of the trophies are tricky dialogues options. And no matter, looong empty areas of Elden Ring doesn't help to make going through ng+ process any more enjoyable or interesting. At least all Souls games are compact and full of action.

Really have no idea why making new hardware faster to load, when you spend the same or more amount of time covering empty areas and killing same enemies and bosses again and again. 

In short, ng cycles and in ER are absolute torture ?