Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

5 minutes ago, Valkyre4 said:

If I miss 1 weapon on my thorough playthrough, i will have to replay the game and collect all weapons. That could potentially mean that for 1 single weapon I might have to replay a very big part of the game. Just for that 1 weapon. This is the example I am talking about.

Per PowerPyx, there just 2 VERY MISSABLE weapons in the game, that's it. 

One of them can be get at any point of the game until it can't. It means that, if you need 2nd playthrough, you can just rush to this spot.

Second (spear) is, unfortunately, only obtainable in the very specific point of the story. However, if previous FS games are any benchmark, 2nd+ playthroughs take literally 3-4 hours to complete (unless you are really bad or under leveled). You know where minions are placed, how to fight them and you know how to kill every boss. Unless you are trying to squeeze one hit too much, it's literally a speedrun.

8 minutes ago, Helyx said:

And here I thought the best part of a Souls game was getting to discover all the cool shit yourself. Going into Demon's Souls blind was one of my most enjoyable experiences in gaming the past few generations.

You miss the point man... it is amazing how many people simply dont read and rush to comment...

The whole point of this post is ranting about including trophies in huge open world games that have no real point of being missable, other than to make you read a guide. If you read what I said just above, you'd see that just because I want to go blind, I wont be going for the platinum, because going for the platinum for this game, pretty much requires you to check a guide, unless you want to waste a lot of time...

6 minutes ago, rodzyna said:

Per PowerPyx, there just 2 VERY MISSABLE weapons in the game, that's it. 

One of them can be get at any point of the game until it can't. It means that, if you need 2nd playthrough, you can just rush to this spot.

Second (spear) is, unfortunately, only obtainable in the very specific point of the story. However, if previous FS games are any benchmark, 2nd+ playthroughs take literally 3-4 hours to complete (unless you are really bad or under leveled). You know where minions are placed, how to fight them and you know how to kill every boss. Unless you are trying to squeeze one hit too much, it's literally a speedrun.

There are other missable trophies that have (by the looks of it) even worse requirements and are easier to mess up. I just used the weapons one as an example. Dont misunderstand me, I actually want Powerpyx to be wrong and for those missables not to be so easy to miss. Most of them at least. But there was 1 missable that had like 15 step guide lol. Just by reading that 15 step guide i will spoil a big chunk of the experience and I will have to play the game in a specific way, which I definitely will not.

Edited by Valkyre4

Just now, CsGetDegree said:

Why don't you just play the game blind once then on the other playthroughs look up a guide. The game is big but you can skip most of it on other playthroughs. 

Because I am afraid it is too big, and knowing me I will have earned like 90% of the trophies on my first run, and by then I'd be pretty much burned out to go for another playthrough just for a few trophies. 

3 minutes ago, Valkyre4 said:

You miss the point man... it is amazing how many people simply dont read and rush to comment...

The whole point of this post is ranting about including trophies in huge open world games that have no real point of being missable, other than to make you read a guide. If you read what I said just above, you'd see that just because I want to go blind, I wont be going for the platinum, because going for the platinum for this game, pretty much requires you to check a guide, unless you want to waste a lot of time...

There are other missables that have (by the looks of it) even worse requirements and are easier to mess up. I just used the weapons one as an example. Dont misunderstand me, I actually want Powerpyx to be wrong and for those missables not to be so easy to miss. Most of them at least. But there was 1 missable that had like 15 step guide lol. Just by reading that 15 step guide i will spoil a big chunk of the experience and I will have to play the game in a specific way, which I definitely will not.

Someone already said it - this was always the nature of Souls. In majority of cases, 60% of all trophies are fully missable - starting with weapon upgrades, through quests that can be messed in a matter of one missclick that had taken 123 steps, finishing with collecting weapons in very specific circumstances.

2 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Look at how many people already finished the platinum in just 4 or 5 days.  It's not too hard nor did they play 150 hours in 4 days that is impossible.

Can confirm, final time was 67 hours for plat. But I would say it probably is the most difficult fromsoft game imo, maybe with repeat playthroughs it'll be easier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Look at how many people already finished the platinum in just 4 or 5 days.  It's not too hard nor did they play 150 hours in 4 days that is impossible.

That is true... dont know how long ago they had it though, pretty sure that they had it prior release. I am always going by Powerpyx numbers, he claims 80-120 hours for plat and he tends to calculate that time by using his guide.

As a souls fan i will replay this game hundreds of times. It will take me months to fully discover everything and I'm in no rush ….waited for this game so long! Hands down one of the best games ever made. I'm not worried over the trophies they will just come in time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rodzyna said:

Someone already said it - this was always the nature of Souls. In majority of cases, 60% of all trophies are fully missable - starting with weapon upgrades, through quests that can be messed in a matter of one missclick that had taken 123 steps, finishing with collecting weapons in very specific circumstances.

Agree, but they werent such large in scope as Elden Ring is.

Just now, JoesusHCrust said:

I’m not sure I understand you beef. You have dozens of really meaty plats on your profile, which took you months to complete and included missable trophies. Why single out this one, which you haven’t even started yet? You’re not a completionist so never mind if you can’t 100% this game. 

I sympathise to an extent. I’ve been known to avoid games that I like the look of if they have very complex and convoluted trophy lists but I know I’m silly to do that! 1f642.png

I still havent decided. I am annoyed that I feel that in order to get the plat I HAVE to look at a guide. There are so many steps in some trophies it feels like it is impossible not to miss them unless you are extremely lucky. And I am annoyed because Elden Ring is just one of those games that I WANT to have it 100% on my trophy list. But I also dont want to spoil it. And I dont want to spend hours upon hours on top of the original playthrough for some potentially very trivial trophies that IMO dont add much to the experience to begin with. 

1 minute ago, Valkyre4 said:

I still havent decided. I am annoyed that I feel that in order to get the plat I HAVE to look at a guide. There are so many steps in some trophies it feels like it is impossible not to miss them unless you are extremely lucky. And I am annoyed because Elden Ring is just one of those games that I WANT to have it 100% on my trophy list. But I also dont want to spoil it. And I dont want to spend hours upon hours on top of the original playthrough for some potentially very trivial trophies that IMO dont add much to the experience to begin with. 

Yes, I’ve read more of your posts and think l get where you’re coming from now. You’re happy to play a long and difficult platinum but you don’t want your game spoiled by having to worry about one or two missable trophies. 

I feel the same way about Kingdom Come Deliverance which I’ve been playing recently. There are so many missable trophies that I find it quite stressful trying to ensure I don’t lock my self out of the plat whilst not spoiling the story. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valkyre4 said:

Disagreeing with your opinion doesn't mean people 'aren't reading' what you're saying. Your opinion is divisive so you're naturally going to get divisive responses. You can't seriously expect everybody to agree with you when you start out the gate by calling an adored game developer decision and game 'moronic'. You set the tone for the responses by doing that. 

• Like 4

I suggest play it for fun and get what you can out of it.

Then take a break from it and do a different game in between.  Then come back to it for trophy mop up if you want to,

Choice is yours, play it as a fan or play it as a trophy hunter.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Valkyre4 said:

If you read what I said just above, you'd see that just because I want to go blind, I wont be going for the platinum

We all read it and comprehend it dude. While the example I gave (Demon's Souls) wasn't an open world game, it's clearly relevant because there's so much missable stuff. You're free to not enjoy Elden Ring, I'm cool with however you play (or don't play) any game.

For me, one of the big selling points of these titles is how going in blind and learning all the obtuse mechanics and story progression triggers is part of the journey.

• Like 1

Anyways, Game just came in finally! Thank you all for the responses. Both good and snarky ones. ;)

It is now time to start the journey. I am pretty sure I will forget all about trophies in 5 hours from now! :P 

(will probably remember about them in the future though!)

Edited by Valkyre4
  • Like 2

i did it and i found the side stuff to be a lot less obtuse than before and the missable stuff to be kept to a shockingly low minimum. the issue here will be the difficulty imo. there's like 3 platinum breaker bosses. 1 of which makes isshin look like a scrub and even edges out kos. 

59 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

I'm not expecting much from Miyazaki's sanity considering how this one has yet again, another swamp.

First thread I'm reading since I woke up and this comment killed me. Thank you for the early laugh to start my day! ?

I don't think it will be this bad, as long as you are prepared to follow a walkthrough.

That 80+ hours is from a general blind perspective remember, it's not a optimal time, it's just the authors opinion as with any trophy guide. Trophy guides are always from a casual perspective though so they are rarely accurate with time estimates in my opinion outside of a few rare instances.

There will maybe be a cleaner way to do  the missables as well, a lot of trophy guides will always say 'keep talking to X NPC when you can', but usually this isn't specific at all, and sometimes you only have to talk to them a few times but at certain points, but it's said to 'talk to them whenever' because it's not known exactly when!

Following a optimal platinum guide, I'm sure the actual optimal platinum route will take 5 - 10 hours with somebody who knows what they are doing. Obviously add a lot more hours onto that from being a beginner, exploring, doing non-platinum stuff.

Just the optimal platinum path itself from point A to point B with no mistakes, diversions, rest stops, sightseeing etc, yea 5 to 10 hours I think.

I've not even started this yet as platinum speedrunning Horizon Forbidden West first and Ghostrunner, but what I'm reading, seeing and stuff,  i can't see it being 80 hours UNLESS you go in completely blind with ZERO guides

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

Just gonna say: ...

One of the biggest things about a Souls game is the mystery, and the elusiveness of NPCs and missed opportunity of quest lines. Ever since the very first game of the series -- if you take down a boss and forgot to talk to the NPC in that area ahead of time -- that NPC disappears, you lose your chance at a whooooole quest line or set of magic spells or a weapon.

Like I think it was Demon Souls PS3... Talk to Siegmeyer, talk to his Daughter, talk to him again, save him from monsters... Missed any part of the quest line? It's over, start a new game or new game plus.

Kinda like just expected at this point. It's a feature not a bug.

Elden Ring is absolutely massive and there's so much to find. I feel BLESSED that we have this many hours of gameplay and adventure ahead of us. This is a true adventure not to be missed!

[EDIT: Having said that: Missable trophies are definitely a bit stressful but I'm just gonna try to enjoy my first play through with peace of mind and mystery since we've been given a new opportunity to Souls.]

Edited by tranquility101
  • Like 1

I actually agree TC. I mean I love souls games and for me personally after 30 hours this game is a 10/10 masterpiece, but the cryptic missable quests are always near impossible to figure out on your own, in a game this massive it would be nice if the devs didn’t make these quest lines so easy to screw up.

• Like 1