Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

I've not played Sekiro, but all the other Souls games (other than Bloodborne, though that one had things like the Crow Badge and Umbilical Cords which are easy to mess up and miss without following a guide) required at least 2 complete playthroughs, and generally a partial completion of NG++ if you didn't use glitches to dupe boss souls or have players drop copies of weapons/rings for you in multiplayer. Even with outside help/glitches, in DS2 it is pretty much unavoidable to play to halfway through NG++ to get the plat due to a few spells being locked behind dozens of hours of skill-based PvP OR via a trip to merchant halfway through NG++. Demon's Souls (one I know you've played since bother versions are on your profile) has a lot of missable stuff so I don't believe you would have gotten all that in 1.5 playthroughs without closely following a guide from the start. While they aren't open world on the scale of Elden Ring, they still take a significant time investment to platinum, most Souls games were 100-120 hours for me since additional full playthroughs are required.

With a quick look at the Elden Ring trophy guide intro summary it seems to be in the vein of Bloodborne, technically possible in a single playthrough with save scumming, but not likely unless you are following a guide. I would think for trophy hunters this would be much preferred to the older method of mandatory NG+(+) playthroughs. Those who just want to blow out the plat can do it in one playthrough by following a guide, and those that want to experience it will take more than 1 playthrough.

Edited by Guardian_owl
  • Like 2

I take it this is your first From Software game? Their lists typically require 2-3 playthroughs (which get exponentially faster in NG+ btw) and feature a couple very missable trophies due to how vague the lore and quest lines usually are. I get what you’re coming from as this as a pet peeve of mine with really long RPGs/open world games, but the Souls experience is supposed to be tough and most people go into this knowing that.

• Like 1

Super easy souls platinum tbh.

- Follow Rani Q line till the end

- Ignore Fia, but talk to here in the cave after she leaves the table to get the dragon boss

- Don’t burn the tree and get the few missable items

- Make a cloud save and get all endings

I remember Dark Souls 3 was an absolute bitch where you needed multiple playthroughs.

Amazing game so far (Clocked in 45hrs and I cant see myself reaching the 80hr mark from the guide. I’ve already reached the final area. I just need some bosses from previous zones)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Valkyre4 said:

I just looked up the Platinum roadmap by Powerpyx and I am absolutely baffled at how exhausting this thing looks...

Because the roadmap on Powerpyx is a roadmap for completing the entire game and earning all trophies, not just a guide of missables that you need to be careful about. In this 80 - 120 hour platinum (using Powerpyx's estimate) there are about 5 missable actions you need to actually be careful about. You can play blind for the game's first 25 hours and have basically a 0% chance of voiding any trophies.

The problem is that you are playing for the trophies and not for the game my friend.

This is your first soul game also? Cause all of the games into the series (unless you use a guide and kill any kind of emotion for your first playthroug) is not made for been 100% in only one campaign. I used a guide in all the games after the first playthroug be cause without that I'm pretty sure the rarity of the platinum in those games will be much much lower.

Nowadays I don't have the time I used to spend for gaming so I abandoned the 100% / no plat no game mentality and only go for those I really like or know I can. If there is a game I really want to play but the plat is to long/tedious to get I just enjoy the game and continue to another one.

• Like 1

I know this is a very subjective topic, but I’d love to play the game three times over to get all the missable endings because I’m really enjoying the game so far. I’m 30+ hours in and I only have 8 trophies ? It doesn’t bother me if there’s a very obscure ending as long as someone knows how to get it ?

1 hour ago, JD-D2 said:

Game developers don't build their games around our small niche's trophy addiction, and that's usually for the best.

I dont know... Game developers getting so lazy and easy trophy lists lately sounds like they want to scratch some more sales from our small niche trophy addiction... And I'm not talking about the 2 min plats, some well known sagas with usually hard trophy lists now are a joke...

• Like 2

It my not be that bad as the guide on PPyx makes it look TC actually as going through the comments on that guide which I guess Ppyx has now checked and made available, the guide is still a WIP and a few things are incorrect on it.

Mostly there are MORE ways to obtain/unlock stuff than what the guide says and the author says they aren't certain of how other quests impact things.

Just saying the PPyx guide is still a WIP like most their release date guides so I would keep an open mind, always best to anyway as new things are always discovered that make stuff more simple, even on old games ;)

I'll just chime in, I have no problem with the trophy list in this game. It's standard FromSoft. I'm actually surprised there aren't *more* missable trophies given how big the game is. It seems they've actually done a good job making it harder to miss out on NPC questlines. I don't understand the complaints. I think making nothing missable would be counter to how these games are designed.

There not as missable as it looks, let others provide their opinions yet and allow players more time with the game.

Going by the comments in the PPyx guide, a lot of the finer details within the guide is incorrect, seems there are more ways to trigger the ending and obtain weapons, the author also isn't sure of all quest variables yet.

Give the community time ;)

Edited by Optinooby