Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

9 hours ago, Valkyre4 said:

That is true... dont know how long ago they had it though, pretty sure that they had it prior release. I am always going by Powerpyx numbers, he claims 80-120 hours for plat and he tends to calculate that time by using his guide.

yeah they may have had it before release but the time to platuiinum does say 4 days as far as their time stamps so that means they only spent 4 days from the time they popped the 1st trophy to the last.  Also they didn't have a all in one road map which had to have added to the time.  Of course this is just a guess but with the quick leveling methods and a proper guide i'm betting this can be accomplished in 50 or 60 hours.  I do get the point the op is making though, these complicated multiple step quest lines that can easily be missed or messed up is ok in the linear games but in a large open world game as this one i can see where people don't want to have to reference guides.  I literally follow powerpyx guide and then have to pull up a guide to get the location he's talking about and then it's not uncovered on the map and I have to pull up guide to find the map fragment.  

At one point i had 5 guides up.  The point the op is making is that in a big open world game as large as this there is no way you're going to accomplish the achievements with as many steps are involved that have to be performed at certain points in the story, without referencing a guide constantly.  And he is right that takes away from the game.  However, this is From software and we all knew what we were getting into as far a guide following is concerned.  i haven't played a game of theirs yet that i didn't have to have a guide up the entire time.

10 hours ago, Septomor said:

Can confirm, final time was 67 hours for plat. But I would say it probably is the most difficult fromsoft game imo, maybe with repeat playthroughs it'll be easier.

congrats on the platinum.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valkyre4 said:

I just looked up the Platinum roadmap by Powerpyx and I am absolutely baffled at how exhausting this thing looks...

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind making a 150 hour open world game and deciding not only to include missable trophies in it, but also make those trophies so exhausting to acquire? Like there are 15 step instructions for getting a specific missable trophy, things that look so easy to miss. Hell some of them are dependent on dialogue options...

Am I the only one who finds this absolutely moronic? This thing practically is asking for you to spoil the entire game, by reading a guide, in order to achieve the platinum in one go...

I dont get it. This isnt a 20-30 hour game. I get missable trophies in small/medium sized games. I get that. But doing this in a huge open world game with a ton of content is almost insulting to people who dont have 300 hours lying around to spare.

The least you can do is make your trophies as hard as you want, but dont make them frigging missable for crying out loud...!

You know, before some developers completely debased them, platinum trophies weren't meant to be all that common and were supposed to require a certain amount of effort? If you're not willing to spend god knows how many hours getting the trophies, that's totally cool, but you really come off as a whiny and entitled person.

Edited by Iker_01
  • Like 3

I'm playing mostly blind on Xbox occasionally Googling things I come across. No way am I going to ruin my first playthrough by following a guide every step of the way. I'll check out the guides when I  get to NG+ and beyond.

• Like 1

I am playing blind as well, like almost clocked up 70 hours and I only have 3 trophies, THREE from killing main game bosses.

I don't know why the original poster just didn't just wait a week before a spoiler free guide was posted instead of playing from Day 1, problem solved.

I've actually found it really great fun being able to play a game and not even find anything on google because the game is so new. I've just been having fun and not worrying about trophies, for now. I will happily play a second playthrough of this game if I miss any trophies, it's that good. Next time I will level up to a wizard, instead of a warrior.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Valkyre4 said:

Come on... no it is not my first Souls game, hardly. I have played all of them and I have platinum trophies. They werent 150 hour open world games, unless I am having a very sudden Alzheimer's episode...

so okay, those didn't have 150hr plats. This one does based off skill level.  so you have a souls game that doesn't get a plat or takes longer. Thats okay. Its Open World.

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Valkyre4 said:

Another day another person who confuses difficult trophies with pointless collectible missable ones.

Please explain to me the challenge behind a missable trophy that asks you to do specific things, talks to specific NPCs and pick the right dialogue options to get an item that will net you the All weapons collectible trophy... what exactly is challenging about that? Where is the hard part? Its nothing.

Stop confusing challenging trophies (which btw I love) with pointless ones that do nothing but waste time. Did you even read my post or just thought it was cool to throw that comment anyway?

so if I’m understanding the point let me summarize 

“but I want this to be what I want!!!!”

13 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

In your initial post, you asked "Am I the only one who thinks this is moronic" and it sounds like you have gotten your answer.  Most people are either ok with this, or at least expected it.

Personally, I am not surprised the game was not made to cater to trophy hunters, we are the minority.  

yep 

• Like 1

By being an open world game, the missables are not actually per se. If you take a look at all of them, if you stop before the final boss, it is possible to backtrack and do everything 'missable' (except for a single conversation). I'd like to know if my assumption is true by some platinum owners.

For a game this big there are actually very few missable things for most stuff you have plenty of options to obtain it also the absolution option can have you reverse stupid mistakes like hitting a npc making it hostile i read even „Revives“ are possible this way

the game design is really good ? very forgiving^^ 

Missables aren't "moronic", there's a huge place in the trophy hunting community for them. Every game has different requirements and difficulties and some are time sinks, but that's what makes it fun for some people. Especially for FromSoft, where completing a game multiple times to try out everything you can is a main focus of the way they design their games. 

It sounds like it's just not a personal preference of yours to have missables in a trophy list, but that's got more to do with the way you play. Not with the game or its trophy list or its developers being "moronic". And that's fine for you to not like playing that way. I usually don't either tbh. I'm not a completionist by a long shot. But you gotta respect the way the trophy hunting ecosystem is: some people are going to LOVE hunting a game with harder to nab missables or games that are time sinks. For some people it's more satisfying. Just gotta respect it. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 8:14 AM, Valkyre4 said:

I just looked up the Platinum roadmap by Powerpyx and I am absolutely baffled at how exhausting this thing looks...

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind making a 150 hour open world game and deciding not only to include missable trophies in it, but also make those trophies so exhausting to acquire? Like there are 15 step instructions for getting a specific missable trophy, things that look so easy to miss. Hell some of them are dependent on dialogue options...

Am I the only one who finds this absolutely moronic? This thing practically is asking for you to spoil the entire game, by reading a guide, in order to achieve the platinum in one go...

I dont get it. This isnt a 20-30 hour game. I get missable trophies in small/medium sized games. I get that. But doing this in a huge open world game with a ton of content is almost insulting to people who dont have 300 hours lying around to spare.

The least you can do is make your trophies as hard as you want, but dont make them frigging missable for crying out loud...!

This is when you play games on a sub account. I'll play games on my sub account a lot of times. Mostly when there are missable trophies.

Trophies have ruined video games for me a lot of times. You miss 1 trophy, and it sets you back over 100 hours. It's annoying. So i'll usually look to see if a game has any missable trophies...and then look at a couple of other things..and decide if I play on my main account or sub account.

I love being able to just go into a video game blind...and play it. Not have to worry about the next trophy I'm looking for. Not having missable trophies in a game, allows me to do this.

Online trophies are the worst (there is no arguing this...because the bottom line is: a game can go offline and make the trophy LITERALLY impossible to earn anymore). The second worst trophies are the missable ones that set you back dozens of hours.  If a game is fun to play... I don't care how hard a trophy is. It can be extremely hard, but I'll have fun trying for it (if the gameplay is good). But when you get set back dozens of hours (because you didn't want to read spoilers, and you just wanted to enjoy the game), that ruins the entire gaming experience for that game and is a huge gut punch.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:37 AM, Helyx said:

And here I thought the best part of a Souls game was getting to discover all the cool shit yourself. Going into Demon's Souls blind was one of my most enjoyable experiences in gaming the past few generations.

Yup, and you can't do that with missable trophies. That's the entire point of OP's post.... r/woooosh

As a newcomer (Elden Ring is my first extensive time with a FS game), I would fall somewhere in between. I think Elden Ring would be the candidate for save slots, like Ori and the Will of the Wisps (if anyone has played it) where you can copy your save game between slots. That way, you can experience all endings without having to literally start from scratch in an absolutely massive game - wouldn't think this is a cheese, really. However, if enemies don't scale to your level in NG+ (someone tell me if they do, again, first time playing a FS game) then the 2nd playthrough would be MUCH quicker as a Level 100 character with experience of where to go, and what to do. A fraction of the bosses are truly required, most are optional. 

21 minutes ago, Fish613 said:

This is when you play games on a sub account. I'll play games on my sub account a lot of times. Mostly when there are missable trophies.

Literally what I am doing, too. I always recommend having a backup account where you don't care about trophies so you never missed out, if you're like me, and have account OCD. I play 95% of games on my main account, but games that are either extremely long or notoriously difficult I play them on a sub-account first just so I can still experience some great games that are either beyond my usual attention span, or skill-set. I can always then just play it for the 1000G/Platinum if I'm in love (did this with Outer Wilds, game looks more convoluted than it ended up being - is now a top-10 game ever for me).

I am so happy I'm playing Elden Ring, favourite game I've played since The Last of Us: Part II. I have no desire to get the 1000G, but I do want to complete my first FS game (played Bloodborne for 3-5 hours, but just moved on to other games for whatever reason). It's absolutely amazing so far. 

Edited by PhantomFear94

On 3/2/2022 at 9:50 AM, Septomor said:

Can confirm, final time was 67 hours for plat. But I would say it probably is the most difficult fromsoft game imo, maybe with repeat playthroughs it'll be easier.

From made games before the Souls series. Those games by comparison are actually difficult. This game, Sekiro, Bloodborne, or any of the Souls games, they pale in comparison to many of the games From has made.

as a general rule I dislike prefer when developers don't include missable trophies also 

best of both worlds: design your game in such a way so that all quests/missions/trophies are achievable post game. or just implement chapter select

that way u can just play for fun without being glued to a guide, and if/when u decide to mop up any missed trophies, you're free to do so without having to slog through the game again. we all have tons of games in our backlog, and this way would just be more time efficient, and I guess depending on how much anxiety a person may have, less stress inducing

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

You know... I actually worked my ass off and pulled multiple all-nighters to make the guide as little WIP as possible. It was based on the experience of one man alone so obviously some stuff requires confirmation from other people. I even included a full step by step playthrough overview on when to do all the things. Seems like people like to panic more than I assumed - While some trophies are missable, they are missable mostly because of own decisions.

And I also take the time to go through comments one by one, trying to answer the questions and correcting stuff through stuff foudn by community. It is a monster project of a guide and I am actually pretty happy of how the trophy guide turned out.

And we had similar talks to his... before you mention the time needed for platinum I decided to use 60-100 hours is too high because you can do it in 15 hours will full optimization by watching 800 guides before that and planing every step ahed of the time - that is not how 99% of the people will play the game.

I know you like to optimize the games to the lowest possible time but I prefer to stay realistic to how the game is supposed to be played.

Wow, I'm not bashing, it's awesome you got the guide up and stuff. It's not about the quickest time, it's about the details and I'm just saying the details are not fully ironed out in your guide yet as u say, a WIP is still that, a WIP!!

800 guides, I think you're right there, there are currently about 800 farming guides xD

For the record, I'm not about showing others how to do it all super fast, it's more I like to show the minimum of what is required so anybody following, while playing however they want as 99% of players will as you say, I've wasted zero of their time by providing fully optimal strategies in regards to trophies!! That's all it is, I wanna consume as little as a individuals time as possible, outside of that, they can do whatever they want then ;)

It's all peaceful, I'm just always very vigilante of details so stuff has to be absolutely 100% accurate and of course, I'm a very weird case I know that ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

op this game isn't for you. Move on to another game with trophies you have time to collect. Or you could write to fromsoft about how madge you are regarding trophy acquisition, I'm sure they will really care about your opinion.

I feel this is funny as I see how people are but how I view it is like this. let the guy do what they want. I mean I know a friend of mine who never beaten oblivion on ps3 as they wanted to max all the stats before going with picard any more into the start of the game doing everything in the starting cell and he can do nearly everything. he wants to make the best character people get fun out of any game in any way they want.

My view point is if getting the plat is their means go for it/ let them voice their views on the games trophies. I mean I personally feel anyone should game how they like and trophy hunt how they like. I mean I get how people feel if they feel they need a guide to know some things and so on as yes it is cool if you find it on your own but if you don't know it becomes in my eyes the puzzles you see in a game that has a really simple and yet dum way to solve it/ there was no hints to it. The best puzzle as to use for a point of ref here for this example can be something like Siren. You having to basically 3 levels back get a towel and put it in the freezer so when you play another character you can take it out and use it on the piggybank and so on. no one is given a hint and can ruin your game or annoy you to no end or find it dum.

I know my thoughts are coming out abit mixed and random or ranty but just thought I post my thoughts here as yeah.

• Like 1

I definitely find missables to be the worst part of the trophy hunting experience, and it does take a bit of luster out of the game to have to have a guide or risk losing 50 hours of progress. Frustrating, but I think DrBloodMoney has a good approach in treating this as a long-term project that you'll be really proud of achieving at the end, rather than grinding the crap out of it non-stop. As someone who's put in 60 hours in the 5 days it's been out, I'm loving the exploration and have been doing my best to not spoil anything until my second playthrough, just trying to be as thorough as possible, and it's been really fun. After this first playthrough grind-fest though, I'm going to put it on the back burner and save it for chill evenings when I can just enjoy the world on my way to one of the silly missables.

• Like 1