zeitgeist_02

How much harder than outlast?

8 posts in this topic

Based on various guides it seems this is harder than the first game, particularly due to the length of the insane run. To those who have completed both, how much harder is this than the 100% of the first game?

Posted (edited)

I can't say much about the difficultly since I am still running nightmare mode but the fact that you can't skip the cutscenes that's the true horror of Outlast 2.

Edited by zaibro

Ok, noted. That does sound like it would be annoying for insane mode, like that 5 minute wheelchair cutscene before Trager in Outlast.

It's much harder than the first one, since you have to do single battery run on Insane compare to just an Insane run. If anything, I'd say the Larry encountered and last section are the ones people struggle the most with, the last section being the section everyone saves the battery for. 

Posted (edited)

It’s only harder than the first one because it’s so much longer. But the game have been made a lot easier since launch. When I platted the game it had more enemies, they removed certain enemies and even whole encounters. So it’s a fair bit easier now then back in the first 1-4 months. 

Just learn all enemy placements for the encounters and how they can spawn depending on the route you take. If you do that this is about a 6-7/10. There are 3 encounters that can be very RNG and screw you over, the other ones you can use 100% strats for. 

Good luck if you decide to take this on and have fun watching the helicopter cutscene over and over 😀

Edit: Forgot another reason it’s harder is because in Outlast 1 you could skip half the game using out of bounds glitches. You can’t do that in Outlast 2 since if you skip one checkpoint the game instantly kills you. There are small OOB glitches but none worth doing for the purpose of platting the game. 

Edited by Quink666

It is a hell of a lot harder, the 7/10 does not do it justice in my opinion. It is much longer, you only have 1 battery in a game that is mostly dark so you have to memorize how to get through quite a few areas in the dark, far more encounters, far harder encounters with several oneshotting enemies, potential bugs and crashes are more likely and worst of all the chance of getting oneshot with an arrow from afar in chapter 2. I thought the first Outlast ironman was quite easy, made it on my 3rd attempt after a single practice run, while this one here took me hours of practice and then many attempts, most of which ended in chapter 2 due to the auto aim arrow.

7 hours ago, Dauersack said:

It is a hell of a lot harder, the 7/10 does not do it justice in my opinion. It is much longer, you only have 1 battery in a game that is mostly dark so you have to memorize how to get through quite a few areas in the dark, far more encounters, far harder encounters with several oneshotting enemies, potential bugs and crashes are more likely and worst of all the chance of getting oneshot with an arrow from afar in chapter 2. I thought the first Outlast ironman was quite easy, made it on my 3rd attempt after a single practice run, while this one here took me hours of practice and then many attempts, most of which ended in chapter 2 due to the auto aim arrow.

It is kinda weird you still get oneshot in "Story mode" difficultly from the arrow.

I found it a lot harder. It took me 22 attempts to complete it over about 2 months. Some parts you are only allowed a very small margin for error. Not being able to skip the cut scenes is horrendous.