JakBrod

Will leaving my controller rubber banded damage it in any way?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am going for an afk trophy in a game, and it is one of the last trophies, but it is a grind.

I am thinking about putting a rubber band on my PS5 controller but idk if it will damage it. does anybody know?

Edited by JakBrod

Posted (edited)

No it won't, you actually damage it more by using it. Clicking in the joysticks generates wear and tear that can lead to deadzones and drifting, as an example.

You're perfectly fine to rubber band.

Edited by Skurkitty

when i did dirt 5, i didnt damange mine from holding down the driving button which i moved to x

Holding a controller in a static position for long periods of time won't do any damage to it. It's impossible to break your arm if you never move it, ya know? 

It's when you use it and put it through its motion, that's when you generate wear and tear. You'll be putting more stress and wear and tear on your console to stay on for long periods of time to rubberband than what it does to the controller. 

It actually will damage the controller but it really depends on how long you do it for. One night while you sleep shouldn't be an issue. Leave it for a week? Then you should notice some problems.

Personally I always use spare controllers I have for rubber banding methods.

You won't cause any damage but note this - you don't need to squeeze the living daylights on of your buttons/sticks when rubberbanding.

They move with minimum pressure, way less than what you normally use when playing.

Rubber bands work well on sticks and R2/L2 but if you also need to fix a particular button in place (especially the X,O...) I suggest using a small piece of plastic or anything you've got laying around (I often used a small LEGO piece or a pen cap) and taping it over. The reason being it will work better than taping over the button and you won't risk leaving adhesive residue directly over it or around so it can be pushed in when using it. Also makes it easier to have leverage to put another rubber band rather than tape.

Obviously I don't have enough experience with Dualsense on PS5 but my PS4 controllers lasted years and never had any side-effects from occasional rubberbanding. I.e. if you leave something on top it or stick it on a shelf upside down you might as well keep the sticks in a given position.

10 hours ago, JakBrod said:

I am going for an afk trophy in a game, and it is one of the last trophies, but it is a grind.

I am thinking about putting a rubber band on my PS5 controller but idk if it will damage it. does anybody know?

You shouldn't have any issues. However, consider this a top tip; turn off the adaptive triggers beforehand if they're used by the game. That way you won't be putting any undue stress on the springs, especially if you're rubber banding for hours on end. It'd probably be fine anyway, but no harm in being extra cautious just in case.

If it's a PS4 game i'd recommend using a PS4 controller if you have one but this shouldn't hurt the controller, although i'd always test it out on an older one.

I think it depends on how long its rubberbanded or held down. Imagine stretching a condom for a very long time, it'll just wont go back to its original size. It will be all loose, and that is no good at all! Some parts inside the controller is the same, the pad under the buttons can be stretch over a period of time. The analog also have rubber clips, certainly over a period of time you could damage it, you could bend the rubber into a certain shape. Like tires carrying the full weight of the car, so when your vehicle is left in one stationary position, your tires can become deflated, flat, rotten, or warped. No good, no good at all! 

But hey, you gotta do whatever it takes for them sweet sweet trophies.

Posted (edited)

Hi!

Actually, I made it for the Dying Light 2 ultramarathon trophy. And it damaged one of the joysticks which now always pulls a little to the left. if I had known that, I would not have done it, but it's up to you! :)

PS I’ve done it for like 12 hours.

Edited by OneOksana

41 minutes ago, OneOksana said:

Hi!

Actually, I made it for the Dying Light 2 ultramarathon trophy. And it damaged one of the joysticks which now always pulls a little to the left. if I had known that, I would not have done it, but it's up to you! :)

PS I’ve done it for like 12 hours.

It's probably just drift on the DualSense controller. It's a pretty common issue with them. I've had my PS5 since launch and had 2 controllers replaced so far as they had the exact issue you mentioned. Just take it back to the store you bought it from and they can replace it for you. You don't have to pay anything for a replacement one either, they just send them back to Sony.

1 hour ago, PeachyJacobs said:

It's probably just drift on the DualSense controller. It's a pretty common issue with them. I've had my PS5 since launch and had 2 controllers replaced so far as they had the exact issue you mentioned. Just take it back to the store you bought it from and they can replace it for you. You don't have to pay anything for a replacement one either, they just send them back to Sony.

Oh thanks, I will do that for sure!