Good Choice for First Disgaea?

Bucknerd

I plan to try a Disgaea game out this year and, judging from what I've read online and since I do enjoy SRPGs, I believe this game might be suitable for my first Disgaea experience because it seems a tad more forgiving and it's a continuation of the original story. 

What would be your suggestion, doods?

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Disgaea D2

Disgaea 4

Disgaea 3

Disgaea 2

Just my opinion on the order to play them. Disgaea and D2 have the best casts and the best story in my opinion. D2 does an amazing job with the post game and the Item World as well, along with an amazing "cheat" system that you can skew the game to your liking. 3 and 4 are good titles but the mechanics that were added to them were not as fleshed out. I say Hour of Darkness first as that game introduces the main characters that show up in every Disgaea game. We have some rabid SRPG fans here that will be sure to give you some great advice. Unfortunately the guy whom I consider the Disgaea expert is no longer here, but message him on PSN and ask his opinion as well (KirbySeph)

• Like 3

If Disgaea 2 is easier then I'd recommend that one. Disgaea 3 was the only game I got on my Vita when I first got it and it's also the only RPG of any type where I've felt the post game content was more a pain in the ass than fun. Up until that point though I feel it's definitely a lot of fun and pretty funny.

• 8 months later...

Getting Disgaea D2 for my B-Day. Can't wait to try this series out. 

I loved fire emblem series and that really got me into the SRPG genre. I looked at some gameplay and it seems like my type of game. Strategy and Epicness!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07