Does it get better

Kwotey

Think it depends how far you are honestly. For me the whole initial area you start in felt overwhelming. Relearning combat, having all this dialog while trying to remember the past events from 5 years ago. It wasn't until I got to the *meeting at the gate* to go further west that I really got into it. And for me, getting to that point took around 6hrs because I was doing everything and talking to everyone in the starting area.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Phoenixgaming1 said:

I've been seeing a lot of people really disappointed with the game and one of my friends described it as a better-looking and more polished Ubisoft game which was surprising to hear. And I think that if you aren't enjoying the game after 7 hours, then it probably won't get more enjoyable, you shouldn't have to play a game for a full work shift before the fun begins. 

yeah i feel this, ill prolly give it atleast a few more hours.. hopefully iy will pick up

6 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Think it depends how far you are honestly. For me the whole initial area you start in felt overwhelming. Relearning combat, having all this dialog while trying to remember the past events from 5 years ago. It wasn't until I got to the *meeting at the gate* to go further west that I really got into it. And for me, getting to that point took around 6hrs because I was doing everything and talking to everyone in the starting area.

'For me the whole initial area you start in felt overwhelming. Relearning combat, having all this dialog while trying to remember the past events from 5 years ago'

yeah this exactly! 

If you're already finding it dragging and boring then no, it certainly does not get any better. How the game presents itself early is how the whole game is, it really does not change its tone and become more gameplay-heavy towards the end or anything like that. It still is like 70% cutscenes/traveling to get to the next cutscene and 30% gameplay. It is very much a story-driven, cinematic game except the story is really not all that compelling enough to hold your interest and it takes a lot of your attention span for granted. The first game was like this as well but it was much better balanced in the first one compared to this one. 

And the side content where the majority of the gameplay time lies is all the same boring stuff you do in every open-world game and the only thing it really rewards you with for doing the side quests and whatnot is more cutscenes. Towards the end of the game, I was just skipping all the dialogue and cutscenes because I did not care anymore and just wanted to finish it. The game finally starts getting good during the last mission but then that's it, it's over. It didn't even feel like the last mission because the rest of the game getting to that point was so damn slow. 

I can see why so many did enjoy this game as it hits all the same checkmarks from other successful Sony first party titles and it fits right in with that style and expectation but from somebody who very much enjoyed the first one, Horizon 2 was a massive disappointment. It excels with its graphics, voice acting, and overall art design, it lacks everywhere else. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Kwotey said:

Im currently about 7 hours in and this game seems to be dragging a bit.. i swear its been like 70% cut scenes and the story isnt gripping me.. i loved the first game!

Im all for story driven games but this game seem to be overkill on the cut scenes. 

I really hope it gets better or should i cut my loses now?

The one review I watched basically said the opening was like an extended epilogue for the first game. It took them like 15 hours, IIRC, to get to the Forbidden West, where the game picked up. Overall, however, they said it was just more HZD and that instead of innovating they (the devs/ Sony) played it very safe. 

Personally I am looking forward to playing it once the price drops or once gas and food prices drop back to normal. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

It’s great from the start, I don’t get how people that supposedly liked the first one didn’t like this one, it’s literally a continuation, it doesn’t have any less cutscenes then the previous game, and it’s an open world RPG, those tend to have a lot of story and cutscenes. You people are ridiculous. 

My issue with the game is that the story is essentially the same from the first game which I feel like is uninspiring and boring, its literally the first game story, and I didnt feel like the first story needed a sequel honestly. My other issues with this game is that the climbing is god awful, half the time Aloy doesn't grab where I need her too and the hitboxes for the machines are all over the place. Overall so far for me its a solid 4/10. But I am glad people like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Meh to each their own but I also hated GoW and Days Gone too, so at least I am consistent. 

To be fair I haven't played Forbidden West enough or Days Gone at all, so eh.

Edited by Zephrese

Just now, Zephrese said:

To be fair I haven't played Forbidden West enough or Days Gone at all, so eh. Usually don't waste energy needlessly "hating" games unless they're broken, though, even if I don't like them sometimes.

I dont hate this game specifically it just didn't need to really exist and I don't think it is as polished as it should be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I dont hate this game specifically it just didn't need to really exist and I don't think it is as polished as it should be.

What justifies it "needing" or not needing to exist, though, especially when the first game left itself pretty open for a sequel?

I'm not speaking about the quality of the game in of itself here, mind you, it just seems like a weirdly contrarian thing to say.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Zephrese said:

What justifies it "needing" or not needing to exist, though, especially when the first game left itself pretty open for a sequel? I'm not speaking about the quality of the game in of itself here, mind you.

I always felt the first game ending was BS to get another sequel out. I loved the first one until the ending. This game has some good though too.

Edited by kdogg_gamer_
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I always felt the first game ending was BS to get another sequel out. I loved the first one until the ending.

They made it very clear beforehand that something else was going on behind the scenes, just not what exactly.

Obviously it was to get another sequel out, but the game as a whole was never written in a way that made it a one-and-done kind of thing in the first place if one paid attention.

I can't speak for the "payoff" of all this in Forbidden West, obviously, so whether or not any of that is executed well in that game is irrelevant and likely subjective.

Edited by Zephrese

4 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

First one had much more engaging story though. More compelling villains and threat too. 

Reveal hidden contents

My biggest issues with the game is such obvious sequel baiting. If the game was about tribal wars and Regalla being a threat I would have loved the game. But Zeniths being this Deux Ex Machina, suddenly appearing and creating gazillion plot holes made me lose all the interest in the story. Then you kinda say okay, let's get over the magical 1000 years old floaty Marvel heroes, let's get over the fact that they suddenly have high advanced base that is not mentioned by any tribe. Let's get over all the ridiculousness of the final boss being some power ranger mech, and then hits you with "Oh and very angry mangled mess of an AI is floating through space towards earth to kill everyone! See you in the next game guys!"

The first game also had better pacing, as an outcast both the player and Aloy were being slowly introduced to the whole world, everything was being slowly unveiled. I know by being a sequel it has to have some base and you can't start from zero, but I feel like the sequel throws too many NPCs at you and then throws them away immediately. First we hear about embassy and how important it is for one Carja dude to come back home. thrown away in seconds. Regalla barely appears in the game. Besides your team I feel like there is too many NPCs that are just thrown there for one forgettable quest, instead of maybe doing longer questlines for one person or the other to make them more memorable. After the years I still remember fondly doing hunts for Talanah from the first game, I finished FW last week and I am starting to forget everything.

I disagree, this story has been more engaging. 

3 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

My issue with the game is that the story is essentially the same from the first game which I feel like is uninspiring and boring, its literally the first game story, and I didnt feel like the first story needed a sequel honestly. My other issues with this game is that the climbing is god awful, half the time Aloy doesn't grab where I need her too and the hitboxes for the machines are all over the place. Overall so far for me its a solid 4/10. But I am glad people like it.

It’s the middle part of a trilogy, and it’s continuing the same story, but it’s not beat for beat the same like you say, climbing works fine for me, maybe it’s just you?

1 hour ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

WTH?! Why are you playing on the PlayStation console? These types of games define the platform and are arguably great games. If this doesn’t hit it for you then move on. 

Seems like a lack of taste on his part. 

2 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Lol what game are you playing? It’s very Polished. I swear, are we even playing the same game?

2 hours ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Meh to each their own but I also hated GoW and Days Gone too, so at least I am consistent. 

Seriously, what’s wrong with you? You must have terrible taste in games. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2022 at 3:38 PM, Kwotey said:

Im currently about 7 hours in and this game seems to be dragging a bit.. i swear its been like 70% cut scenes and the story isnt gripping me.. i loved the first game!

Im all for story driven games but this game seem to be overkill on the cut scenes. 

I really hope it gets better or should i cut my loses now?

Glad I avoided it. I get bored of waiting to play when it's all cutscenes

• Like 1