Is this game worth Platting?

TheSlyGCooper

5 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Arguably the worst in the Dark Souls series, depending on who you ask. Good luck platinuming Demon's Souls 4 times; it's fun as hell.

I was confused about what you meant by 4 times, then I remembered the OG Demon's Souls had the NA, EU, and AS region trophy lists. As for Dark Souls 2, it had its problems but it's not the worst game. Although, I do recommend that you play the Scholar of First Sin version on the PS4, as it fixes a lot of things like enemy placements and items. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

Trying to stick to NA on my profile

Damn, I got excited for you when you said "every game" and "every platform".

Bah. Don't waste my time.

• Like 2

I’ve done this particular challenge myself - though I added the ridiculous qualifiers that I must defeat every boss on my own (including DLCs), and get every boss weapon, one of every weapon, and every armour set. 

I found DSII to be a straightforward platinum, but not all that much fun. There’s a lot of weird design choices that make the game more annoying than challenging. What was cool though is that vanilla DSII on PS3 is slightly different from SofFS on PS4. Some of the enemy placement is different, which makes it a bit more interesting to do both - not like DS and DS:R which are identical. 

Overall I had fun with the challenge, so I wish you all the best with yours :) 

It's my favourite of all the souls games, I love it.

(Elden Ring might get up there in the end - I haven't finished it, so can't speak to its placement yet, but it's fantastic so far, and of all the Souls games, it feels like it has more lineage from Dark Souls II than any of them to me.)

I'd agree to make sure you get the Scholar of the First Sin DLC, as it is great, but even vanilla DSII is a wonderful game on its own.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

DS2 is my most beloved Souls Game. Best mood and atmosphere in the series. A couple of the most iconic bosses (design-wise). In contrast to the other souls games DS2 really is "dark" (story). Too sad that it has such a bad reputation.

But yes... ELDEN RING could possibly reach first place now...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheSlyGCooper said:

Hey guys, I've really wanted to Plat every 'Soulsborne' game including every platform and I'm thinking about doing this one at some point. Is it still enjoyable and worth it to do? 

The two original games are much better than this one. But, even so and despite everything, this is still a good game. So yes, go play it if you really like the saga.

• 11 months later...

old topic, but whatever. i'm currently playing through vanilla, no dlc, ps3 ds2, and honestly i think it's leagues better than the scholar release. most notably because there only like 2 ganks in the whole game. it was nice going through the castle and not having 35 statues chasing me. or being in erthen peak and not having 35 manikin soldiers popping out of every crevice. if you'cve already played scholar, you'll probably enjoy this game even more because its much more tame.

Edited by K_Huntington

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 10:52 PM, K_Huntington said:

old topic, but whatever. i'm currently playing through vanilla, no dlc, ps3 ds2, and honestly i think it's leagues better than the scholar release. most notably because there only like 2 ganks in the whole game. it was nice going through the castle and not having 35 statues chasing me. or being in erthen peak and not having 35 manikin soldiers popping out of every crevice. if you'cve already played scholar, you'll probably enjoy this game even more because its much more tame.

Vanilla is leagues better than Scholar. The DLC areas are great, and can benefit vanilla with various weapons and items, but Scholar makes the platinum harder by requiring the DLC. And the game is just worse in Scholar. They literally block off a portion of the tutorial area with a branch for no reason. The changes to that alone makes the game way worse (not just the tutorial, but the overall use of statues is a lot worse).

Instead of taking the things that didn't work in DS2 they just made a lot of them worse in Scholar. 

• Like 1