[Spoilers] Worst Souls Boss

WM0003

Spoiler

Malenia

is the only thing stopping me from platinum. Bed of Chaos and Royal Rat Authority for better designed than this boss. The amount of health she can heal in one combo is ridiculous, the scarlet rot is annoying and the boss would be better off without it, and attacks like the whirlwind move are hard as fuck to dodge and one shot. Even if the dual katana cheese I'm still dying to the stupidest shit in this fight. Elden Ring's late game brought the game down so much. Dark Souls 2 is more enjoyable

Edited by DaivRules
Removed spoiler from thread title and put spoiler tag in post
  • Like 1

I tend to agree that this boss is BS. I've played all the games and this was hands down the hardest in the franchise. It would be perfectly fine if they removed the health regen or if it at the very least wasn't healing thousands of health points a swing. And it's also kinda BS that she regens even if you block (doesn't make any sense).

• Like 1

I honestly think that the final bosses in Elden Ring were designed to be challenged at much higher levels than the previous games. However, the community has settled on 120~ as the meta level and are afraid to go past 150 which would lock them out of post-game content with the community. That's not to say that these bosses can't be challenged and defeated at the standard meta level, but the boss fights will be borderline unfair for your average player.

• Like 1

I agree, that this is by far the hardest boss in the game. Trying different methods right now, but the amount of damage she can heal is really insane.I do manage to get her down to the second phase but once she enters the final phase i lack on healing and magic flasks. This is really tough and most videos i watched don't really help here. 

Edited by DavySuicide

I've been struggling with most bosses in the game, but man Radahn is just so difficult, hit a brick wall with him, considering I'm over lvl 100, he just crushes me in 2 or 3 hits and he flails about all over the place like Haggar from Final Fight. I don't have any magic so kinda regretting having a Atk, Dex only build. It's tough enough dodging his barrage of attacks, let alone trying to get a few hits in lol. Most of the main fights in this game could have been final bosses in their own rights, even some of the regular enemies feel like boss fights sometimes.

• Like 4

I read you got the boss already so well done, but in case anyone else reading this for tips. As someone said, caster with adula's is a reliable strat.

What I did for my first run was using a Str/Fth build with Blasphemous blade from Rykard. Then with mimic just spam the weapon skill, also makes this fight a joke.

The thing with Elden Ring is the mimic ashes kind of destroys the bosses in this game. As soon as you get aggro from boss, just leg it for a bit until boss re-focuses mimic and then nuke for a few seconds again. I know she heals, but at this point in the game you should be able to out-damage the heal, she also staggers pretty easy.

But in conclusion I agree that the triple whirlwind attack is bullshit, ive seen a video of someone managing to dodge the whole chain but it requires some insane inputs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I've been struggling with most bosses in the game, but man Radahn is just so difficult, hit a brick wall with him, considering I'm over lvl 100, he just crushes me in 2 or 3 hits and he flails about all over the place like Haggar from Final Fight. I don't have any magic so kinda regretting having a Atk, Dex only build. It's tough enough dodging his barrage of attacks, let alone trying to get a few hits in lol. Most of the main fights in this game could have been final bosses in their own rights, even some of the regular enemies feel like boss fights sometimes.

I HATED Radhan - I love Elden Ring, but I think that's my most hated boss design in any Souls game. 

The way I finally did it, was just attrition. 

At the start of the fight, don't go forward too much. You don't want him to switch to the spears, you want him to stick to arrows, as they can be dodged.

Just keep strafing back and forth, summoning the NPCs, and wait for them to approach him, so he begins the melee attacks. 

Once he's done that, you want to stay on horseback the whole time, constantly looking for the NPC summon signs to bring folks back into the fight, and the only time you ever get near him, is for one (just one) swing of a weapon while riding full-speed past his back. then get as far away as possible, wait for his aggro to shift, his back to turn, then repeat.

It's an horrible designed boss for non-magic users, but with a bit of luck and patience, you should get through it.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I will share what I used for this ass of a boss, she truly is in the "forget tough but fair, this is ELDEN RING" category. 

45VGR

40END

60DEX

30STR

Bloodhound Fang+10

Mimic Tear +10 (duh)

Tower Shield

Best physical armor you could ever wear

Godrick's Rune equipped

Apply bleed to your sword(i think it stacks? perhaps?), pop a rune arc, summon the Mimic (for some reason his bleed effect lasts longer than you) then go to town. Obviously, pay attention when the boss jumps in the air, you know what's coming for you. Hold that L1 button down like your life depends on it. Both you and your mimic will have the bloodhound equipped so the bleed will be at an all time high.

For second phase, hope that your Mimic has at least 50% HP left at minimum. If not...I will just quote Detlaff from Witcher 3:

" If you acknowledge any gods, start praying now."

Out of all the bosses out there, this one takes the cake as the most annoying one ? she is more than manageable if you drop the cool kid melee only act and use everything the game is offering you.

EDIT: the video with the annoying chick:

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Just a quick tip for dealing with Radahn - find a way to cause Scarlet Rot to him (for example, I used crossbow bolts), it can take half of his health down. Summon as much as you can, ride your horse all the time, stay away from him and watch him die from the Rot.

• Like 1

Agreed, though Radhan was bullshit, but Malenia... Oh god, I hate this boss, I manage to finish her first phase only once, and then kill me with a explosion with full health at 40 vigor... Insane and so unfair, I had no chance. And the triple swing attack, and the grab that kill me even at full health... Seems a boss in Way of the Nioh with way of the Samurai gear tbh.

Edited by Steven-Spiegel

I yesterday defeated this boss (Malenia) and definitely this one is the toughest I ever fought in any souls game. At first I thought I am thinking I may be under level for this boss fight that's why I'm having a tough time (char lvl 120). Then I look up on internet and find that even 140 lvl character didn't stand a chance against her . I always use strength build for my first playthrough because I'm a sucker for greatsword. Getting defeated by her so many times I thought about respecing my pts but then it hits me .. there is no way I'm gonna change my build just for this boss fight I know it seems impossible but this build gets me this far into the game and I love using strength weapon so what I did was first I clear some dungeons and defeated other bosses after this I farm for some runes and got to lvl 142. Mostly put my points into vigor. 

My character lvl 

Vigor 45

Endurance 30

Strength 45

Arcane 10 //for bloodflame blade

I used Guts greatsword +19 she usually stagers pretty easily this give me chance to put buff on my weapon, And dragonclaw Shield for her blade dance move, Ashes mimic tear +10 I used this when she's on like 50% health in his first stage because whenever I used this at start, my summon always get destroyed in the 2nd phase. And one more thing if you are like me you probably getting to know his blade dance move that will just kill you if u didn't timed the dodge perfectly. So what I've found that dodging out of her first sweep to get distance and then rolling into her second and third sweeps will gain you the best chance of survivability. Keep trying this you will definitely get this. If someone is also using the strength build. Hopefully this will help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JIMMOTHYY said:

I honestly think that the final bosses in Elden Ring were designed to be challenged at much higher levels than the previous games. However, the community has settled on 120~ as the meta level and are afraid to go past 150 which would lock them out of post-game content with the community. That's not to say that these bosses can't be challenged and defeated at the standard meta level, but the boss fights will be borderline unfair for your average player.

The community hasn’t settled on anything 

50 minutes ago, Orenn16 said:

The community hasn’t settled on anything 

If you want to be picky about what the community has settled on, then you can atleast recognize that people are cautious about going past 120 on their main character.

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Are you using any of the NPC summons for the fight? They make the battle way more fun and easier at the same time

9 hours ago, Realtione said:

You got the platinum it appears. Still wanted to say that, I know it's subjective and all but I can easily sense the tantrum in the tone of the post. It's ridiculous no denying that. But it's far from being the worst designed boss, unless you have a love for stupid gimmick tree bosses for a reason. People really should quit posting when they are angry imho. That's exactly what I felt for the first time and I still feel it's a bit unjust on some part (especially right at the beginning of the 2nd phase where she deals a fkn massive amount of aoe dmg)

As much as I dislike the shitty gimmick bosses I feel like I can get them over with pretty quickly once I know the gimmick. For Malenia it just felt like I was fighting an unfun version of Lady Maria from Bloodborne. I understand your viewpoint tho. You're probably right on "People really should quit posting when they are angry," I'll admit. As much as I felt like the endgame was underwelming ER is no way in hell the worst Souls game ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JIMMOTHYY said:

I know people max level who can't beat this boss.  leveling alone won't do it here.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IncelJoe said:

Are you using any of the NPC summons for the fight? They make the battle way more fun and easier at the same time

Yes, I noticed you could summon some of them more than once. Anyway I managed to scrape a victory on this boss, and it unfortunately had to be in coop. Still, even with help it took many attempts. I have like 1500 hp and still got one shotted by many of his attacks. I basically had to resort to 100% concentrating on dodging when he was aiming at me and only diving in for close range only when he was going for somebody else. The art of the roly poly! ?

So i just beat her easy by creating a blood build.  I used fighting cowboys blood build guide and I didn't bother doing everything he did.  The main 4 things you need are Reduvia Dagger mine was plus 7.  Dragon Communion seal plus 7 for casting.  Swarm of flies incantation and the mimic Tear ashes.  Basically I stood back and spammed swarm of flies non stop while my shadow mimic did up close damage,  You can throw some blood out at her with he daggers with L2 if you want but if you get that close to her she usually comes after you so it's best to just spam swarm of flies which causes blood loss build  up and also staggers her some so mimic can get some quick shots in.

I also had the Tailsman Lord of blood exultation which increases attack power with blood loss in the vicinity.   My mimic was maxed out at level 10 but i'd assume 7 or better would do.   Of course you gotta respec to an arcane build.   i had the occult godson peeler level 20 with ash of war seppuku but didn't even have to pull it out. 

This blood build is dope i'm not upset having to respect i'm staying with it.  It destroys groups of enemies fast. 

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

She is the hardest boss in the game, but she is no where's near the worst imo. Bed of Chaos still holds that title for me as it is not only a terrible "fight", it's just a terrible design to boot & the run up makes it even worse

33 minutes ago, Tetho_mig said:

Don't openly spoil the game in the thread title, god damn it!

Erm, where? A spoiler because a name was mentioned? Not sure what was spoiled.

I haven't even got to this boss yet and i wasn't spoiled, even after reading the whole thread.

• Like 3