[Spoilers] Worst Souls Boss

WM0003

5 hours ago, Foremanskin said:

Hmm, I don't know where you're getting this from. For example, all my friends struggled the most with Malenia and every streamer I've watched has been stuck on Malenia for the longest. While the second phase of Godfrey is tough, you only have a half of a health bar to go and he has nothing that can straight up one shot you.

You can bully Malenia extremely easily with a heavy weapon, on my second playthrough I had dual bleed weapons and absolutely annihilated her when she turned her back to me. 

If you’re fighting her completely solo, sure, her difficulty ramps up enormously, but you can counter that with a shield if you want to be a Coward. 

Godfrey first phase can one shot you with the forward and behind shockwave if the game considers you still in it even if you’ve rolled three times (great fun), Godfrey‘s whole arena stomp is way harder to dodge when you’re summoned and  he isn’t facing you the entire time. While I was spending hours learning the fight I was being summoned to lay down Dragonbreath, he crushed groups for hours.

Hoarah Loux’s knockup into the body slam does about 1200 damage, he has a long wind up slam that is a one shot, his claw combo can kill easily if you get clipped. 

The hardest boss is always the one you decide to fight when you’re underlevelled.

Melania, Radhan, Mogh, the Fire Giant, the Gargoyles… they were tough…

…but in all honesty, the genuine hardest time I had, and the most retries (so far) was the first time I fought the Cemetery Shade!

At the level I was at, it was killing me within literal seconds of crossing the boss door :blink:?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Jesus Christ! Not sure if Worse Souls boss, but I jump came up across the Gargoyle(s) and wow, no idea what to do in this fight, even with my mimic. FIghting 2 bosses at the same time seems so difficult, feels like the camera angles are the worst part. The poison cloud just seems to be appear out of nowhere AND it hit from behind. Feels like there is no good time to score any/many hits, and you can't use your Horse.

Anyone got any good setups for this fight? Maybe it's just me, but nobody seems to have mentioned it...

12 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Jesus Christ! Not sure if Worse Souls boss, but I jump came up across the Gargoyle(s) and wow, no idea what to do in this fight, even with my mimic. FIghting 2 bosses at the same time seems so difficult, feels like the camera angles are the worst part. The poison cloud just seems to be appear out of nowhere AND it hit from behind. Feels like there is no good time to score any/many hits, and you can't use your Horse.

Anyone got any good setups for this fight? Maybe it's just me, but nobody seems to have mentioned it...

A lot of boss fights are much easier when you come back later and are a higher level or have your weapons upgraded further. I found them much later than I was probably meant to making it a very easy fight. I also find it best in double boss fights to concentrate on the one your mimic isn’t fighting. Concentrating on the one your mimic is fighting will kill it faster but then you have to constantly watch your back for the other.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

A lot of boss fights are much easier when you come back later and are a higher level or have your weapons upgraded further. I found them much later than I was probably meant to making it a very easy fight. I also find it best in double boss fights to concentrate on the one your mimic isn’t fighting. Concentrating on the one your mimic is fighting will kill it faster but then you have to constantly watch your back for the other.

It seems like this is an optional boss fight. Do I need to kill this boss to progress the story/ go for any endings? (trying not to look at any guides)

Edited by enaysoft

11 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It seems like this is an optional boss fight. Do I need to kill this boss to progress the story/ go for any endings? (trying not to look at any guides)

If it’s the fight in Nokron/Sofria with one using a halberd and the other with a twinblade then there is a trophy for defeating them.

7 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

If it’s the fight in Nokron/Sofria with one using a halberd and the other with a twinblade then there is a trophy for defeating them.

Yeah I noticed there was a trophy but I am thinking of just leaving this boss completely and just carrying on with the story (presuming of course this boss is not required for any of the endings)

[edit] Never mind, finally beaten it. Bullshit on a stick basically, glad that fight is over... WHY can't you use your horse on this battle? ....

Edited by enaysoft

I just oneshotted Melania with bleed build using as weapon bloodhound fang +10 , white mask helmet, black knife armor - gloves - boots and as talismans: rotten winged sword insignia - radagon soreseal - lord of blood exultation - takers cameo. And used Mimic as spirit and she got destroyed very quickly with all the bleeding from both me and mimic. Oh and i was level 150 with 60 vigor, 20 mind, 25 end, 25 strenght, 87 dex, 19 int, 7 faith and 9 arcane. Hope this helps anyone who is struggling killing her. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Belmont85- said:

I just oneshotted Melania with bleed build using as weapon bloodhound fang +10 , white mask helmet, black knife armor - gloves - boots and as talismans: rotten winged sword insignia - radagon soreseal - lord of blood exultation - takers cameo. And used Mimic as spirit and she got destroyed very quickly with all the bleeding from both me and mimic. Oh and i was level 150 with 60 vigor, 20 mind, 25 end, 25 strenght, 87 dex, 19 int, 7 faith and 9 arcane. Hope this helps anyone who is struggling killing her. Good luck!

40 Arcane increases your Blood Buildup, but not the damage of the bleed itself substantially. Also putting Bleed on your Weapons via Ashes of War gets Arcane scaling. 

5 hours ago, ThirdAwakening said:

40 Arcane increases your Blood Buildup, but not the damage of the bleed itself substantially. Also putting Bleed on your Weapons via Ashes of War gets Arcane scaling. 

Did it without 40 arcane and already she died within 30 seconds so not really a need to put so many points in arcane.

19 minutes ago, Trophy-sx said:

I dont know about Melania yet but for me it’s Elden Beast who I hate the most, and the fact you have to fight Radagon (great boss tho) again before going for Elden Beast feel very bad..

if you use the build i said in a earlier post, you can kill them without much difficulty. Goes for every boss tbh, started the ps4 today and going for the same build again.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, Trophy-sx said:

I dont know about Melania yet but for me it’s Elden Beast who I hate the most, and the fact you have to fight Radagon (great boss tho) again before going for Elden Beast feel very bad..

The Radagan/Elden Beast fight really hampered my enjoyment of the game.

I was Level 150 with 40 vigor and i'm not sure how else I would done the fight without being that level.

Radagan on his own is alright, you can learn his moves after a few attempts - though the constant AOE spam and blinding light attacks weren't very fun.

Its the fact that you realise the he was just a resource drain for phase 2 with the Elden Beast - who spend most of the fight moving to the other side of the arena and spamming tracking AOE attacks.

So you spend most of the fight chasing him down and chipping its health.

It almost feels like you where meant to ride Torrent is this phase with how big the arena is.

When I finally beat them I didn't feel I had won or succeeded - I felt 'well at least its over now'.

Melania is very much a 'hit her hard and fast' fight - the more time you spend fighting here the more you are likely to make mistakes and have her heal herself to full health.

Also, Is it just me but do too many bosses feign/slightly delay attacks during combos? 

Making it very hard to time dodges consistently.

Edited by objectioner

I'm the kind of Souls player that goes with a build and sticks with it. I know many people min/max, change armor sets or weapons before boss fights to be best prepared for a certain boss but I don't do that. I stick to my weapon and my strongest armor and for example, I don't switch to armor with high fire res if there's a fire boss. I know it makes life harder for me sometimes but I'm just too lazy to bother with the perfect setup for each fight :D

Therefore, the bosses I struggled with most in ER with my Strength build were Radahn, Malenia and Maliketh. (I was so slow compared to Maliketh, it was really tough). And I also had a pretty hard time with Preceptor Miriam, lol Hated that bitch! :D But that's on me for not having high Magic Res and not switching out my armor out of laziness... :D 

I would give Radahn the crown of the worst boss. But while he was super annoying, stupid, and not fun (for me) he wasn't the boss I was most disappointed with. Because the lamest boss IMO was Elden Beast.

Malenia and Maliketh were hard for me but they were great fights IMO. Radahn was not. I did appreciate what they were trying to do but it wasn't well executed and therefore, I didn't like the boss mechanically and I hated the beginning of the fight where he's an eternity away and uses the ranged attacks that literally one-shot me at times, etc.  

Best boss in ER for me would be Dragonlord Placidusax! That's what a fight against a dragon is supposed to be!

So overall I would say that for me, Radahn was the worst boss when it comes to gameplay and Elden Beast was the worst boss when it comes to overall expectations, as it was simply a stupid, boring, uninteresting fight. The bosses I liked were Placidusax (just epic), Rennala (different but in a good, fun way), and Godrick (his second phase cut scene was just too cool haha).

I would also put Malenia up there with the hardest bosses in Soulsbornesekiroring. But while hard, it was a very good boss.

The easiest boss fight in ER for me (of the trophy-tracked ones) was probably the Ancestor Spirit.

Malenia was a cool boss. I'm glad they validated what I always said, Vigor is overrated and not watching your stamina is going to get you killed far more than anything else. I didn't have bleed and was using the Moonveil katana, but I had to use it two-handed to up the chance for stagger. I probably could have made the fight a little easier and faster if I put few more points in endurance and getting that stamina boost mix, gotta love feeling like you are hoofing it after 2-3 hits. Just being patient and not letting your mimic get torn to shreds and healing her in the process.

Welp mimic tear was just nerfed so malenia just got that much more awful. Sword of night and flame and moonveil also nerfed. I was doing malenia attempts earlier and reliably getting to phase 2. Went and got 5 or 6 levels then went back to her and was doing considerably worse after the nerfs. 

RIP about a day too late. 

Edited by JunkSkelington

I have to disagree.. 

Solo without mimic? Yes it is very hard and punishing.

With mimic? No. 

I finally beat her solo without mimic after trying for hours. Learning her every move and openings.

At first I also thought this boss to be unfair, but let's remind our self again, this boss is totally optional and optional boss tends to be more difficult than main story boss.

All I can say is she is the culmination of all souls boss fromsoft had ever created... And she is beautifully made.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Llujei said:

I have to disagree.. 

Solo without mimic? Yes it is very hard and punishing.

With mimic? No. 

I finally beat her solo without mimic after trying for hours. Learning her every move and openings.

At first I also thought this boss to be unfair, but let's remind our self again, this boss is totally optional and optional boss tends to be more difficult than main story boss.

All I can say is she is the culmination of all souls boss fromsoft had ever created... And she is beautifully made.

Banging your head against the wall for hours isn't fun or interesting to most people, I certainly wouldn't call that "beautifully made".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JunkSkelington said:

Banging your head against the wall for hours isn't fun or interesting to most people, I certainly wouldn't call that "beautifully made".

If learning a moveset of a boss by fighting it for hours translates to banging your head against the wall, then maybe the game is not for you. And I don't mean it in an offensive way. By using summons you do not have to learn (and sometimes you are not even able to see!) the moveset of a boss, which is a shame and in my eyes, the game loses its charm. Why bother to design an epic boss fight if the player can just gangbang them using a mimic, right?

Having said that I do applaud developers to implement ways of bringing new players to the genre by giving everybody an option to tailor the game to their skill level. I'm not telling anybody how to play the game before somebody implies otherwise, though.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BloodyRutz said:

If learning a moveset of a boss by fighting it for hours translates to banging your head against the wall, then maybe the game is not for you. And I don't mean it in an offensive way. By using summons you do not have to learn (and sometimes you are not even able to see!) the moveset of a boss, which is a shame and in my eyes, the game loses its charm. Why bother to design an epic boss fight if the player can just gangbang them using a mimic, right?

Having said that I do applaud developers to implement ways of bringing new players to the genre by giving everybody an option to tailor the game to their skill level. I'm not telling anybody how to play the game before somebody implies otherwise, though.

The default response of many from soft fans when they encounter criticism of the games to suggest people stop playing really adds nothing to the conversation.  

Edited by JunkSkelington
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:22 PM, JunkSkelington said:

The default response of many from soft fans when they encounter criticism of the games to suggest people stop playing really adds nothing to the conversation.  

What criticism exactly? I mean, you just said that Malenia is "awful". What is wrong with the boss except she's challenging? It's very well crafted actually. You haven't provided any valid criticism, yet you claim I'm the one adding nothing to the conversation.

Also, let's try to skip this "Fromsoft fans" nonsense. Don't get me wrong, the games are great but I'm not a teenager anymore to be Fromsoft's knight in shining armor. I literally wrote I'm not telling anybody how to play the game hoping to prevent this. 

I simply made a valid point that if you don't find the core gameplay element of repetition and learning enemy's patterns to be fun, then maybe the game is not for you. Late game bosses are kicking my ass since I'm not using any kind of summons, but you don't see me online complaining how awful and cheap the bosses are because they're not. They're just challenging.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 2

I don’t know about hardest or anything like that, but the worst boss is the Putrid Tree Spirit (or its Ulcerated cousin). It looks and feels as if it was designed by an unpaid intern. It’s a camerabeast on par with Paarl, with one of the wonkiest hit boxes I’ve seen yet. Three times when you meet it, you fight in a cage better suited for a chicken, and another time, you’re on a rot lake (the 5th time I remember fighting him was in a sewer of the first castle)…

…5 times? Are you kidding me? And that’s not even counting when two of them appear guarding a talisman (happily, Unseen One will get you out of that scrape without them even noticing you).

On 09/03/2022 at 2:37 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Well, I've got many bosses left in ER, but Starscourge Radahn has now taken the putrid throne of worst Souls boss. At least Bed of Chaos had the decency to be quick enough.

He looks stupid on his horse, which acts as more of a hoverboard. (Why are so many ER bosses so floaty BTW?). He's awkward to fight (jankiness is the rule in ER). It's just an unpleasant experience all around, and I'm glad I'm done with it finally.

I'm not looking forward, though, to yet another poor boss in Malenia (and I've heard that the bosses in the latter half of the game are actually worse than those in the first half). 

lol yeah, he did look pretty ridiculous. His fight isn't too bad though. I beat him at level 55. It's just the first part where you're running up to him on the battlefield where it's difficult because it involves knowing when to get on and off the horse. When I first started I would get instantly one shot by his purple lasers. Then I learned to dodge them at the last second. After that just let the summons distract him and alternate between steed and foot where appropriate. That said, I play as a mage so I have no idea how melee focused players can withstand his one hit stomps.