[Spoilers] Worst Souls Boss

WM0003

26 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

lol yeah, he did look pretty ridiculous. His fight isn't too bad though. I beat him at level 55. It's just the first part where you're running up to him on the battlefield where it's difficult because it involves knowing when to get on and off the horse. When I first started I would get instantly one shot by his purple lasers. Then I learned to dodge them at the last second. After that just let the summons distract him and alternate between steed and foot where appropriate. That said, I play as a mage so I have no idea how melee focused players can withstand his one hit stomps.

He was the worst before Putrid, and yeah - he’s not really hard. But he is indicative of my main issue with bosses in ER; their difficulty is based on cheapness. I got one-shotted so many times getting to him. Then, I fight him OK…only to get one-shotted by boulders (I never learned to dodge them, either - I just cowered behind a mound). 

Alternating between door and steed honestly never entered my mind. I only learned of this “tactic” long after I beat him. 

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, starcrunch061 said:

He was the worst before Putrid, and yeah - he’s not really hard. But he is indicative of my main issue with bosses in ER; their difficulty is based on cheapness. I got one-shorted so many times getting to him. Then, I fight him OK…only to get one-shorted by boulders (I never learned to dodge them, either - I just cowered behind a mound). 

Alternating between door and steed honestly never entered my mind. I only learned of this “tactic” long after I beat him. 

Yeah, I learned the hard way that hiding behind the mount has its limits as those seeking boulders one shot you when you're on it unless you can boost literally at the last second.

I enjoyed the fight though. One of the things I like about this game is how it encourages you to work smarter, not harder. For instance,  I think the Rahdan fight is more about being efficient with your summons i.e. knowing when to send them out (as they eventually stop spawning) etc.

The fight is quite buggy though. Sometimes the npcs would get stuck behind the barricades and one time I froze while on the horse (which I believe they've patched) . I started breaking the barricades so that the npcs would not get stuck but then it also meant no protection.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, Belmont85- said:

I just oneshotted Melania with bleed build using as weapon bloodhound fang +10 , white mask helmet, black knife armor - gloves - boots and as talismans: rotten winged sword insignia - radagon soreseal - lord of blood exultation - takers cameo. And used Mimic as spirit and she got destroyed very quickly with all the bleeding from both me and mimic. Oh and i was level 150 with 60 vigor, 20 mind, 25 end, 25 strenght, 87 dex, 19 int, 7 faith and 9 arcane. Hope this helps anyone who is struggling killing her. Good luck!

Obliged.

I will mention that, with patch 1.03, the Mimic Tear is much weaker. In particular, it doesn’t seem to use its flasks well (or at all, for that matter). But it remains excellent for a blood loss build; its weaker damage makes no real difference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Obliged.

I will mention that, with patch 1.03, the Mimic Tear is much weaker. In particular, it doesn’t seem to use its flasks well (or at all, for that matter). But it remains excellent for a blood loss build; its weaker damage makes no real difference.

It does not make a difference, i am playing the exact same build i said in this post on the ps4 version now, and its still the same, only mimic does bit less dmg but he still uses a flask and holds aggro and tanks well. Again breezing through the game with this build. The bloodhound fang special (l2+r2) is so good and OP. You are even immune to dmg if the boss hits you at the moment you do the back jump or the forward jump and it does a ton of dmg and also bleeding.

Edited by Belmont85-

I honestly think this boss is bullshit too but ONLY because of the anime combo that can kill 3 60 Vigor healthbars. I managed to beat it pretty easily with a mimic (yes, even post patch), but I'm honestly pretty annoyed I had to resort to the mimic to beat it. I still want to go back and get her solo on another character or a new file though.

Edited by L0rdAceX

3 hours ago, Belmont85- said:

It does not make a difference, i am playing the exact same build i said in this post on the ps4 version now, and its still the same, only mimic does bit less dmg but he still uses a flask and holds aggro and tanks well. Again breezing through the game with this build. The bloodhound fang special (l2+r2) is so good and OP. You are even immune to dmg if the boss hits you at the moment you do the back jump or the forward jump and it does a ton of dmg and also bleeding.

Yeah, that weapon is solid. I of course didn’t even find it when I played (only learning about it from your post). But it tore Malenia up.

Also, to others: sorcery is not a great build against Malenia. Her general floatiness allows her to dodge an inordinate amount of magic attacks. But on the plus side, I learned to dodge her attack, so switching to the build mentioned by Mr. Belmont made her a joke (and Idid nothing fancy - I just ran in and swung for the most part). I didn’t get hit.

So, with the plat in the book, I stand by my statement that Putrid Tree Spirit is the worst, with Starscourge a distant second. Glad to be done with this one.

Her spinning attack makes the fight so much worse, even after dozens of tries i couldnt figure out how to dodge that move consistently.

The regen itself would be fine if she wouldnt be so aggressive all the time, i really feel like you have to cheese her if you wanna keep your sanity.

The skill hoarfrost stomp works great against her, otherwise i would suggest a blood build, with my Dex/Int build she was annoying to fight. 

Melina and Elden Beast were the least enjoyable fights for me.

I knew before clicking this thread just from reading the title it would be about Malenia, lol.

I feel like she is currently the most busted boss FromSoft has ever made, but not a bad one. There are glimmers of an incredible fight in her. Amazing design, arena, music but she needs rebalanced. Right now, I'd say she's definitely the hardest boss in the series. For reference, I previously gave that title to Nameless King.

Edited by Sonic204
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sonic204 said:

I knew before clicking this thread just from reading the title it would be about Malenia, lol.

I feel like she is currently the most busted boss FromSoft has ever made, but not a bad one. There are glimmers of an incredible fight in her. Amazing design, arena, music but she needs rebalanced. Right now, I'd say she's definitely the hardest boss in the series. For reference, I previously gave that title to Nameless King.

Yep, I heard they nerfed Radahn in the latest patch (I beat him before the patch) but not Malenia. IMO, she's not a well designed boss, game design. Totally RNG with the 1 shot kills (especially the flower move at the beginning of Phase 2). People are having to respec to even beat her, which is poor game design.

I know, I know..."get gud" blah blah.  

45 minutes ago, graffiX_13 said:

Yep, I heard they nerfed Radahn in the latest patch (I beat him before the patch) but not Malenia. IMO, she's not a well designed boss, game design. Totally RNG with the 1 shot kills (especially the flower move at the beginning of Phase 2). People are having to respec to even beat her, which is poor game design.

I know, I know..."get gud" blah blah.  

Get gud.

Flower isn't RNG, it's a fast bait. Go directly under her, and then out to her side immediately

16 hours ago, technole said:

Get gud.

Flower isn't RNG, it's a fast bait. Go directly under her, and then out to her side immediately

You must be new to the Souls games. Every boss fight in these games are RNG. It's literally code that dictates AI reactions. Sometimes she does her waterfowl dance 3 times a fight, sometimes 1. Sometimes bosses get stuck in a corner, sometimes they don't. Sometimes your mimic will use a pot, sometimes it won't.

All RNG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graffiX_13 said:

You must be new to the Souls games. Every boss fight in these games are RNG. It's literally code that dictates AI reactions. Sometimes she does her waterfowl dance 3 times a fight, sometimes 1. Sometimes bosses get stuck in a corner, sometimes they don't. Sometimes your mimic will use a pot, sometimes it won't.

All RNG.

You mentioned a lot of RNG stuff. But the comment you replied to only mentions the flower.

And the flower is not RNG. Malenia starts her second phase with it literally every time and do the exact same move you avoid as already described.

Edited by BloodyRutz

38 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

You mentioned a lot of RNG stuff. But the comment you replied to only mentions the flower.

And the flower is not RNG. Malenia starts her second phase with it literally every time and do the exact same thing move you avoid as already described.

Indeed, everytime you get to her second phase first move she does is the flower. And easely avoidable if you know this, just sprint away and she misses and wait abit before attacking if you want to be safe untill the rot is gone. 

6 hours ago, graffiX_13 said:

All RNG.

Flower is 2nd phase transition mechanic, there is nothing RNG about it.

It's a huge AoE that can be baited much easier if you go directly below her and then bug out to her side. Otherwise if you run far out and stand somewhere you are telegraphing the spot she will hit and likely will get clipped.

I finally beat her solo! I spent three evenings with her. It would probably take a little less time if I would not be stubborn and start to learn how to avoid Waterflow dance sooner than on the last day. If anybody is interested, here's the video of the final run. I had better runs, especially in the first phase. Although, I also had much worse runs when I was fighting her for more than 10 minutes while she was constantly healing herself because of my fuckups.

I used Bloodhound's Step, two-handed Nagakiba and no summon while being on level 159 with 78 DEX, 30 STR, 60 VIG, 35 END. Although, she felt the same when I fought her for the first time at level 120. She used Waterflow dance once every phase, sent clones twice, and the flower three times if I remember correctly.

Definitely my favorite boss fight!

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 4:09 AM, Flynnerigan said:

I have to agree with the quality of the endgame bosses. Most of the bosses do incredibly large AoE attacks, have certain attack patterns that are ridiculous to dodge and the fact that some of the later boss can straight up one or two-tap you is just silly. I know there are various cheese strategies that make them all possible but honestly, the fact that you have to respec for some bosses is a problem in itself. 

I really enjoyed the game but found myself frustrated by the end. 

Same. Love the game don't get me wrong but so many of the later bosses were just massive disappointments. Fire Giant, Placidusax and Elden Beast were all just too fucking big with absolute bullshit attacks, most of which I couldn't even see happening cause I'm desperately trying to hack away at their legs/bellys. 

My first 50 hours were some of the best hours I've spent gaming. The last 30 were a fucking slog.

Edited by jonesey46
  • Like 1

This boss is annoying and is barely possible to an average player without semi cheese, i cant even imagine doing it without mimic, but I hate Elden Beast more, the whole battle just isn't fun in any way to me and I already don't even feel like beating the game because of this awful boss. I can feel the end just right there but I don't even want to fight this boss.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hunteriscoolio said:

This boss is annoying and is barely possible to an average player without semi cheese, i cant even imagine doing it without mimic, but I hate Elden Beast more, the whole battle just isn't fun in any way to me and I already don't even feel like beating the game because of this awful boss. I can feel the end just right there but I don't even want to fight this boss.

Hey there, I defeated all the bosses solo. Let me give a tip what helped me with Elden Beast. Use Godskin Noble Set and Haligdrake Talisman +2. It's magic attacks will hurt you much less.

• Like 1

I feel like the Elden Beast is harder than Malenia. Don't get me wrong, Malenia is a really tough fight like the lightning god boss from DS3. But you can dodge most of the attacks and use ranged spells. For the Elden Beast it can just basically run away at will and blast you with attacks as you approach. I thought that fight was tougher, at least for me.

• Like 1

Elden Ring is my first FromSoftware experience, and I got the 1000G on Xbox this weekend. It's now my favourite game in several years (since Resident Evil 2 RM). I'm not sure if there are harder bosses in other games, but

Spoiler

Malenia, Blade of Miquella

is amongst the hardest bosses I have ever fought, with the possible exception of The Valkyrie Queen (Sigrun) in God of War (which I'm convinced is harder than all other ER bosses, after becoming an Elden Ring fan). She is so difficult, although has one of my favourite boss designs of all of the Shardbearers. 

The only way I could beat her was to get my Fallingstar Beast Jaw to +10 and only have the Swarm of Flies incantation memorised (NO other spells) with a Mimic Tear +10. With a maxed mimic, you both spam the Beast Jaw weapon art, over, and over in the 1st phase. Stuns her for most of the fight, and doesn't consume much FP if you mind is 40+. 

In the 2nd phase, run straight ahead the SECOND you spawn back in. until you're touching the roots. Once she's recovering from AOE, get pretty close and spam Swarm of Flies with a cursed seal as your left hand armament/shield. If your Mimic still has 50% health, that spell can stun-lock her and take half her health bar off at the start of the 2nd phase. The distance is the tricky thing -- to close, she'll come for you. Too far away, she'll get too much health back from whaling on your mimic. You need to be at an "intermediate" distance where both of your Swarms hit her whilst she's more aggro. Still took me 8-10 attempts, but I got her to <30% health every single time. I used the bog-standard cursed seal, I'm sure I could have made this easier with a better seal. 

On 25/03/2022 at 0:13 PM, Komrade_Dusty said:

I feel like the Elden Beast is harder than Malenia. Don't get me wrong, Malenia is a really tough fight like the lightning god boss from DS3. But you can dodge most of the attacks and use ranged spells. For the Elden Beast it can just basically run away at will and blast you with attacks as you approach. I thought that fight was tougher, at least for me.

Mimic Tear +10 and Wing of Astel +10 helped me immensely the twice I've gone through this game, I even made a thread about how stuck I was on here, but this fight isn't too bad with this set-up. Helps I was 90+ intelligence.  

Wing of Astel is an insanely underrated weapon (I think, haven't seen much on it). It's weapon art at +10 is very, very powerful and it's a pretty easy weapon to find, too. If you can stay close whilst it focuses on your +10 Mimic Tear Ashes you should get through it pretty easily. Tend to either get demolished or do it in 60-90 seconds, with little in between, but it's much faster overall than other methods. If you can get a good 5-10 seconds where the Beast is distracted by your Mimic, the fight is yours.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

Elden Beast was fine, took a few pulls for me to realize if you aren't hustling back to them fast enough for the swords window to do damage, you just drag the fight out longer and make it harder than it should be. Hitting it's stomach when it glows, it takes more damage too so there was that incentive.

Absolutely agree that the last 20 hours of this game are a painful slog and not at all fun, especially compared to the fantastic first half of the game. I didn't have any trouble with the Elden Beast or Dragonlord Placidusax... but Hoarah Loux. Good god, Hoarah Loux is one of the most bullshit boss fights that I've ever played in any game. And they threw it right in the middle of something like 5 almost back-to-back end-game bosses... why?

Even with cheeses like the Mimic Tear, nothing works on him -- he's too fast and (a) does a grab attack that basically one-hit kills you even if you're maxxed out, and whether it connects or not seems completely random, and (b) between doing those grab attacks he non-stop spams AOE attacks that affect the entire arena *through shields*. And he has basically no openings. My mimic tear couldn't even stay alive for this fight, and even summoning real-life co-op partners just ended with them both dying about 95% of the time. What an absolute shit boss.

I found Maliketh harder than Malenia for my build (Blasphemous Blade +10 + Mimic Tear+10 or Black Knife Tiche+10 at level 150ish). His stupid DoT plus flying around arena like an acrobat had me more frustrated than any other boss. Malenia can be knocked down repeatedly with the Blasphemous Blade's weapon art as long as she is on the ground which can lead to her getting trapped against the wall and stun locked by you and your summon. Plus the weapon art heals you every time it hits giving her a taste of her own medicine.  

I would actually put Malenia at third hardest behind Radahn as well. Cool concept but an annoying fight. I left him and leveled up quite a bit before finally taking him down. 

Placidusax was the best boss to me. Looks badass plus it feels like it can be beaten by the average Souls player without summoning ashes which is rare in this game. 

Edited by Killbomb

i thought melania was one of the better bosses in the game. 

fire giant by far was the worst for me. he would step into places i couldnt hit him with my sword. would not stop rolling in the second phase. and the volcano and fire from the mouth would insta kill me when he had 5% health left.

elden beast takes a close second. i could never get to it, it would just keep running away.

anyone still having trouble with melania all you need to do is run back and to the right and you will dodge most of her attacks and use a ranged attack when she's open, i have a blood loss build so i am using swarm of flies, but i am pretty sure any ranged attack would work well. 

waterfowl dance is the hardest part of this fight, but when youre ranged you can run backwards to avoid the first two attacks and dodge roll towards her thru the third.