[Spoilers] Worst Souls Boss

WM0003

Definitely Radhan before it was nerfed, I was probably underleveled too but that was atrocious. I don't even know how many attempts I've made, it took me more than 2 days. Fire Giant was another shitty boss fight (from a gameplay perspective) because of the camera. 

I enjoyed Malenia, but maybe because I was like level 130 with a bleed build suggested here by someone:

- Bloodhound's Fang +10 two-handed

- No shield 

- Radhan armour (chest and legs), a light mask and some gauntlets

+ Mimic tear +10

40 vitality

26 endurance

40 strength

37 dexterity

talismans which boost: stamina, consecutive attacks, vitality-stamina-load, and negate physical damage 

there you go, with this build she will be destroyed in the first phase (it can last less than a minute). I also consumed the thing which boost your physical attack

in the second phase if you're able to dodge her first attack (running towards her then right), you can wait for your Mimic tear to get her attention and then you run behind her and smash R1 together with your companion. Be aggressive but not too greedy. It took me 10-15 attempts

Edited by ShinySpidey

I think the problem with Malenia is that she feels more like a Sekiro boss than an Elden Ring  boss. If they just removed or modified THAT move, I think she would be great. After I beat her, I just felt relief that it's over rather than feeling rewarded.

On 4/4/2022 at 5:57 AM, Seasonreaper said:

Having beaten every boss in this game now, I'd definitely say Alecto, Black Knife Ringleader is the most bullshit. Obnoxiously tanky, constantly dodging, no summons because it's an Evergaol, and the attack where they hop up in the air and slam down in a massive AoE that for some reason hurts more than practically any other thing in the game AND inflicts a DoT seemed to be purely random as to whether it hit me or went somewhere completely different. Also you can fall off a cliff in one part of the arena and that actually deactivates the Stake of Marika for some reason which is dumb. At least it gives you Tiche, who is probably the biggest candidate for the next summon to be nerfed in a patch because fuck me is she strong.

Hourah Loux also sucks, SPECIFICALLY for his arenawide unblockable stomp that he can spam repeatedly whenever he feels like or in between other attacks. It's not even that dangerous but god damn is it annoying and honestly ruins the whole fight, and it wasn't even that great a fight to begin with.

Melania would honestly be fine if they just tweaked her Waterfowl slightly. Make her first AoE slightly faster, but have her not move during it, and it'd be balanced. Right now she can just teleport right to you across half the arena and keep going so if you're in melee range when she starts floating you're fucked. If she just did her first hit there and THEN dashed for her followup swipes I feel it'd be a lot more enjoyable whilst keeping it a threat. Other than that, she's fine.

Radahn is also fine. Radagon is fine. Fire Giant is fine. Elden Beast is OK if a little disappointing mechanically but my god is it a spectacle. Placidusax is cool as hell and is fine.

But fuck Alecto specifically.

I was thinking the same thing today, I don't know why I didn't mention him* but it's incredibly and shockingly true. For sure this is a problem of balancing, but I don't want to stress myself too much for this shitty boss.

*the reason is because I was thinking only about main bosses so he didn't occur to me 

Edited by ShinySpidey

4 hours ago, ShinySpidey said:

I was thinking the same thing today, I don't know why I didn't mention him* but it's incredibly and shockingly true. For sure this is a problem of balancing, but I don't want to stress myself too much for this shitty boss.

*the reason is because I was thinking only about main bosses so he didn't occur to me 

Yeah Alecto caused me more deaths than any other boss. In the end I had to one shot her with the comet azur kamehameha just to move on!

14 hours ago, BKnocheese said:

I think the problem with Malenia is that she feels more like a Sekiro boss than an Elden Ring  boss. If they just removed or modified THAT move, I think she would be great. After I beat her, I just felt relief that it's over rather than feeling rewarded.

Spoiler

Freezing pot interupts her combo attack. ONGBAL makes her look like an easy boss .. this guy. :D 

Edited by Mori

Just Platinumed last night. To me, the reason Malenia was the hardest was of all the bosses she is the only one that heals when she makes contact. I pretty much strolled through the game with a "big shield, big sword" build and nothing could really upset that. But Malenia's ability to heal herself even if I blocked 100% of the damage was build-breaking.

I think she'd be a balanced challenge encounter if she only healed off damage she does versus any attack that connects. The fact that she forces you to play high aggro pressure makes some builds nearly inviable despite rocking the rest of the game.

I'm not mad though. Reset into a dedicated Swarm of Flies build and showed her what true nightmares are made of. But it would have felt more gratifying if I could have persevered with my "I'm actually playing Dark Souls with a shield lolwut" build that worked for the entire game sans her fight.

Her design, attacks, music, et al. were beautiful though. I'm ok with even being able to heal, just make it sensible and heal when she actually hits you. What the fuck life she leeching out of a metal shield? lol

On 4/7/2022 at 7:31 PM, Kasigrim said:

Just Platinumed last night. To me, the reason Malenia was the hardest was of all the bosses she is the only one that heals when she makes contact.

100% agreed with this.

Platinumed this today and, for me, my top 3 "hardest" bosses were 1. Malenia, 2. Elden Beast, and 3. Godskin Duo.

The first two for more or less obvious reasons/reasons already said: Melania for her constant healing, and that annoying in her 2nd phase where she sends out her own mimics. The whirlwind move thing was annoying the first 10 or so times, then I got the idea of when to dodge etc and it barely hit me after that; Elden Beast because it just.wouldn't.stop.flying.about. I died more from awful camera angles than any difficult moves.

I just hated Godskin Duo. The runback every time you died was a massive pain, getting sideswiped by the mons when you try to dodge them, and they follow you and hit you through the fog wall. And then the Godskin Nobles rollypolly move. And not being able to tell when one had sidled in behind you. The amount of times I thought I was safe and was blasting Swift Glinstone or w/e it was at the Noble and the bloody Apostle had sneaked in behind me off camera and murdered me. Oy.

Anyway, enjoyable game. Very enjoyable. I don't really have time to sit down and platinum games ever - I go for easy ones or ones in a game that can hold my interest - but my god Elden Ring held my interest. I've played Bloodborne and one of the Dark Souls before and could never really get into it, but this has definitely given me bloodlust to go back and revisit those games and try to play them seriously, especially now I more understand the "point" of FromSoft games.

I'm never doing Malenia again though. If I do an NG+ run, Haligtree can stay secret and hidden.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, RoastedPeanut said:

I actually really enjoyed the Malenia fight. I'm a mage so I tried my best to keep my distance and just keep firing away with night comet. My mimic did an amazing job of holding agro and spaming Ranni's Dark Moon whenever it had a chance.

I'm looking forward to respecing and having another run in NG+

I started as a Warrior but did a respec into a high INT mage for the Malenia fight. I used mainly RDM and Ancient Death Rancor. Most spells Malenia can dodge easily, but these two have a nice homing ability. Also I readjusted my flask charges to 9 blue/5 red. Black Knife Tiche (+9) was my summon.

My INT was 81 for this fight, along with a Demi Human Queen Staff +23.

Malenia always starts phase 2 with a Scarlet Aeonia... once you've dodged that, it's highly punishable for a few seconds. Comet Azur is good there. Tagging her with it for that time eats a good chunk of her lifebar.