Would Elden Ring make for a good first Souls game?

IntroPhenom

I think it would be good entry.

There will be steeper learning curve for you not understand how the combat works and tropes of From Soft's game design, but learning is fun. :) Also some pros: you won't be bringing in bad habits or expectations from the other games with you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Everyone’s answers here are great, but I’m gonna go and say something different.

Id highly recommend you start with Bloodborne as your first for-ray into the fromsoftwere catalog.

Like every fromsoftwere title it starts out hard in the beginning(you’ll most likely spend the first 2hrs just getting wrecked)

But at some point “it” will click, and you’ll be dodging in and out of attacks getting some very meaty punish attacks in.

while you explore(imo) one of the most rich, dense and fully realized lovecraft-ish inspired world's ever seen in media.

Trophies are nicely straight forward as well, all you gotta do is find all weapons, beat all bosses, unlock the 3 endings(you can save scum to speed it up)

There is 1 difficult trophy for beating the games super secret boss, you’ll have to go tru a few hoops to unlock the dungeons till you unlock the one that has said boss, but it isn’t too bad, well the 5th one were you gotta clear it with half hp can be rough and bumps the game up to a 6/10 but hey at least you can say you earned the plat eh? Lol

I'd also agree with this sentiment. I mean if someone said Elden Ring is actually Bloodborne 2, but in a RPG Fantasy different setting, I would believe you.

Arguably the aesthetics in Bloodborne are better than Elden Ring and at times could easily be a Resident Evil game as it's way more horror than action fantasy.

Well I started with Bloodborne and then Elden Ring, so I guess I am biased in that regard. Coming to Elden Ring after Bloodborne seemed like a nice transition too

"Oh so this game is like Bloodborne except with way more bosses and way more places to go? Cool!"

• Like 2

I'm appreciative of all of these responses, thanks.

So, a second point to ponder - what's up with being invaded? I hate the idea of some insolent dick appearing in my game just to screw things up for me and my save file. Can that horrible situation be avoided?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

So, a second point to ponder - what's up with being invaded? I hate the idea of some insolent dick appearing in my game just to screw things up for me and my save file. Can that horrible situation be avoided?

Just play offline if you want to avoid being ganked.

It didn’t really change the experience that much tbh, but in Dark Souls 3 it can massively speed up the covenant grinding for the spells/rings.

Some fans(mostly hardcore ones) swear by the feature and say it’s one if not the best aspect of the series.

So keep that mind if you want to avoid it all together.

In Bloodborne/Sekiro(no pvp)/Elden Ring(I think) it has no bearing on Trophies.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Just play offline if you want to avoid being ganked

Would that mean I'd have to pop online and sync all of my trophies after the fact? I could do that, of course.

I would guess the chance of encountering a progress assassin is slim, but for a large game, and me being a meticulous explorer, the thought of losing dozens or more hours is off putting to say the least.

11 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

Would that mean I'd have to pop online and sync all of my trophies after the fact? I could do that, of course.

I would guess the chance of encountering a progress assassin is slim, but for a large game, and me being a meticulous explorer, the thought of losing dozens or more hours is off putting to say the least.

When I say online, I meant that you can just choose offline when your at the main menu.

You still can be connected to psn while you play, it’s just a option that you pick before you start the game.

You can choose online again at anytime when your back at the main menu.

Im talking strictly for Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3, don’t know if Elden Ring has this option.

Dark Souls1-2 you have disconnect from the internet to stop invasions.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

From Software fans have convinced the entire world that these games are only for the hardest of core gamers, when they really aren’t. While they are by no means casual games, these games have ways for you to make the game easier or harder without an innate difficulty slider (magic, summons, etc.)

Elden Ring is by far the most accessible From Soft game to date simply because of the fact that if you are stuck on something, you can leave and go do a thousand other different things and come back to it later, instead of being forced to grind an area over and over again until you are strong enough to progress.

If you are interested in the game and go in knowing it’s difficult, you will be fine, imo it is a great entry point. Other than Elden Ring though, I’d say Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are the best to begin with, but I have heard people say the Demon’s Souls PS5 remake is a good entry point. 

Edited by WarlckWithAGlck
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 0:59 PM, IntroPhenom said:

Invasions are non-existent in Elden Ring. In 106 hours, all online, I have never been invaded. 

I mean, I know you can invade, but it just doesn’t seem to occur at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Invasions are non-existent in Elden Ring. In 106 hours, all online, I have never been invaded. 

I mean, I know you can invade, but it just doesn’t seem to occur at all.

You can only be invaded when you are playing in coop with someone, playing online but single player, only ingame offline NPCs invade your area. If you are playing through various areas with a friend you will get invaded like almost every 10 minutes or just before you are about to go for a boss.

• Like 3

As others have said, it is a good starting point to start with as souls game, after elden ring i advise to do demon souls on ps5 first if you have a ps5. Otherwise d1 - d2- d3 before doing bloodborne and sekiro. And if you still need your souls genre fix, nioh 1 and 2 are very good games too.

• Like 1

I like this better than the DS series because it's added so much. Elden Ring is trying to be a new franchise, not Dark Souls 4... so the world-building starts from a clean slate. The "no co-op, no invasion" thing is good (though you can use Taunter's Tongue to opt in to solo invasions, if you want). Crafting is a good thing. If you see butterflies around fire pots, take them. You can use them to make fire bolts for a crossbow. Vanquishing a certain group of enemies can also refill some of your flasks. Fast traveling is one of the best additions, and necessary given the scope of ER. The stealth system is useful. One thing I'm glad to see done away with is weapon breakage.

NO online/multiplayer trophies are on the list. There are thirty boss trophies, but there are more bosses in the game that don't give a trophy when beaten.

Spoiler

There's a good farming spot in the Bestial Sanctum area where Vulgar Militants (small humanoid enemies, maybe about half of your character's height) are worth 1094 runes per kill. They do have a couple of instant death moves- be careful. One is a 6-blades magic attack. If a VM starts to wind up, hit him out of this or get out of range quick. The other is a grapple.

Killing them should eventually get you a Vulgar Militia Saw, throwable Kukri knives, and certain pieces of Vulgar armor. Use stealth so you can backstab or land a charged attack, and try to take on only one at a time. When hunting them, my weapon of choice is a mace used 2-hand style.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I like this better than the DS series because it's added so much. Elden Ring is trying to be a new franchise, not Dark Souls 4... so the world-building starts from a clean slate. The "no co-op, no invasion" thing is good (though you can use Taunter's Tongue to opt in to solo invasions, if you want). Crafting is a good thing. If you see butterflies around fire pots, take them. You can use them to make fire bolts for a crossbow. Vanquishing a certain group of enemies can also refill some of your flasks. Fast traveling is one of the best additions, and necessary given the scope of ER. The stealth system is useful. One thing I'm glad to see done away with is weapon breakage.

NO online/multiplayer trophies are on the list. There are thirty boss trophies, but there are more bosses in the game that don't give a trophy when beaten.

Reveal hidden contents

There's a good farming spot in the Bestial Sanctum area where Vulgar Militants (small humanoid enemies, maybe about half of your character's height) are worth 1094 runes per kill. They do have a couple of instant death moves- be careful. One is a 6-blades magic attack. If a VM starts to wind up, hit him out of this or get out of range quick. The other is a grapple.

Killing them should eventually get you a Vulgar Militia Saw, throwable Kukri knives, and certain pieces of Vulgar armor. Use stealth so you can backstab or land a charged attack, and try to take on only one at a time. When hunting them, my weapon of choice is a mace used 2-hand style.

I love souls games but i agree elden ring is the best. Crafting, open world and so many bosses make it so much better. Dont get me wrong, demon souls/dark souls and bloodborne/sekiro great games too but i prefer open world and not linaer. Love to explore instead of following a linaer path that you must take. Also elden ring is so much easier to complete as you can go somewhere else to level up if you are stuck for example. 

• Like 1

For some good power leveling, there is a way to get a lot of runes... about 90.000 at Fort Faroth.

Spoiler

The large dragon sleeping outside Fort Faroth is Greyoll (not to be confused with Greyll). Attack it from the sides or rear with a weapon that has a good blood loss rate. Keep it up until Greyoll goes down. When you're getting close to the kill, use a Gold-Pickled Fowl Foot to maximize your gain. Beside the massive rune haul, you get some Dragon Hearts. Also you'll be able to go get Greyoll's Roar at the Dragon Communion Church for 3 hearts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 10:10 PM, RedDevil757 said:

If you like open world games yes. Otherwise I'd say Demons souls ps5 is the best entry point.

I agree here... It's probably the best open world game I've ever played. If it's your first souls game it can be a bit overwhelming though. That being said.. it's probably the easiest souls game out there. It's more forgiving with traveling distances and fall damage etc.... I would probably start with Demon's souls too! The ps5 version is really good! It's kinda bare bones when you compare the 2 games but if you never played a souls game before this is where to start. If you like it then you can go play Dark souls or Bloodborne if you want to keep in the same type of gameplay Genre. Or... Just get right to Elden ring. It's really an awesome game! Don't get frustrated though. You will die...  A LOT!!!! It's all part of the game and learning process though. Souls series games aren't cheap deaths. Anytime you die it's your own fault! Not paying attention and falling off a cliff.. or underestimating an "easy" enemy etc... It's all fun and it makes you better though. Just know everyone goes through that. Stick with it! GOOD LUCK! 

• 6 months later...

As they stand now I'd probably go

1 Dark Souls Remastered

2 Dark Souls II: Scholar of the first sin

3 Dark Souls III

4 Demons' Souls (PS5)

5 Elden Ring

Even though I haven't played Sekiro or Bloodborne yet (saving for milestones I guess) they can probably be played anywhere in between - just not first up as the combat is different to the others. Then go back an look at the older PS3 versions available if you want to replay and experience again.

I am finding Elden Ring easier than the others so far but you can make it as hard or as easy as you like with summons and levelling. There are no boss run do-overs like the others and there are so many grace sites in each area the runs back are not as daunting. My favourite games easily.

Edited by Shady_Wombat
  • Like 1