[Spoilers] Devs: Please don't make a sequel with the same story, Don't become Ubisoft!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, DarkHpokinsn said:

It was great, the writers wrote a good story here, hopefully they don’t listen to any of you people, because Nemesis is a cool concept, and I wanna see how they end this story.

I agree, man. I thought the story was fantastic. I don't get the negative people in this topic. You just can't please people with shit taste.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MetalNite said:

I agree, man. I thought the story was fantastic. I don't get the negative people in this topic. You just can't please people with shit taste.

not really this type of game is designed to be heavy on story telling.  Some people are here for gaming they don't mind a bit of a story but when it comes with lines and lines of dialogue options to read through and tons of cutscenes it kind of stunts the gameplay. I'm personally more into gameplay myself doesn't mean we all have shit taste it's just this isn't 100% our cup of tea when it comes to gaming.  This game is an ok game and I can see why some think it is great.  For me I loved the 1st one but this one not so much.  The 1st one was very fresh and this one is more of the 1st with little added that truly stands out.  I have seen 100's of games at this point and i'm not so easily impressed as some others is the way i'd look at it.  This game is far better than most ubisoft without a doubt but still i had a great year of gaming as far as great games and this doesn't even break my top 10.  Elden ring destroys this game in both story telling and gameplay.  As does quite a few of the indie games i played.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:54 AM, steel6burgh said:

Elden ring destroys this game in both story telling and gameplay.  As does quite a few of the indie games i played.  

Lol I’m sorry this is about the stupidest thing I’ve ever read, thus you go and prove his point about you having bad taste. Elden Ring is terrible story wise, I don’t even have to play it to know that, Horizon is definitely better written, and a better story overall. No indie game could do a better story. Elden Ring is soooo overrated. You have terribly bad taste.  

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol I’m sorry this is about the stupidest thing I’ve ever read, thus you go and prove his point about you having bad taste. Elden Ring is terrible story wise, I don’t even have to play it to know that, Horizon is definitely better written, and a better story overall. No indie game could do a better story. Elden Ring is soooo overrated. You have terribly bad taste.  

ok well you act like i'm the only one who feels that way.  Which is quite amusing.  Me and a majority of others feel that way I didn't invent the concept of feeling that Elden Ring was the better game.  Horizon is a good game I'm not saying it sucks completely.  the more i play it the more i enjoy it but the replayability and atmosphere Elden Ring creates is 2nd to none.  you saying i have bad taste over and over doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't say Horizon is better written and the delivery is questionable in this day and age.  Dialogue options to read???? Really?  Lets just say the story is better who really cares to sit and read through all of that.  Many people who love the game even agree the dialogue was too much at some points seemed endless.  Maybe you have bad taste.  Elden ring was written by a pretty famous story teller so to say it's bad.  Shorter yes.  Less time consuming to watch unfold, for sure.  That way i can get back to playing a game which is the point rather than reading and making dialogue choices the entire time.

Here you are playing mostly shovel ware games lecturing me on taste in games, give me a break.  Aside from that you didn't even play Elden Ring.  i admit it's harder than duck game plus and burger break so it might not be for you.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

How is Elden Ring terrible story-wise? In comparison to Horizon to stay on topic.

5 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

ok well you act like i'm the only one who feels that way.  Which is quite amusing.  Me and a majority of others feel that way I didn't invent the concept of feeling that Elden Ring was the better game.  Horizon is a good game I'm not saying it sucks completely.  the more i play it the more i enjoy it but the replayability and atmosphere Elden Ring creates is 2nd to none.  you saying i have bad taste over and over doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't say Horizon is better written and the delivery is questionable in this day and age.  Dialogue options to read???? Really?  Lets just say the story is better who really cares to sit and read through all of that.  Many people who love the game even agree the dialogue was too much at some points seemed endless.  Maybe you have bad taste.  Elden ring was written by a pretty famous story teller so to say it's bad.  Shorter yes.  Less time consuming to watch unfold, for sure.  That way i can get back to playing a game which is the point rather than reading and making dialogue choices the entire time.

Here you are playing mostly shovel ware games lecturing me on taste in games, give me a break.  Aside from that you didn't even play Elden Ring.  i admit it's harder than duck game plus and burger break so it might not be for you.

“Shovel ware” I don’t necessarily play those games because I enjoy all of them. Although the break games are pretty fun. I like going for easier games sometimes, no big deal. I said I didn’t play it, I have literally no interest in it. Not to mention I don’t play games to stress myself out with a ridiculously hard game. I have a long history trophy wise, those kinds of games aren’t the only ones I’ve played. I’m playing Ghostwire right now, that’s a pretty cool game. 

6 hours ago, FrostyMcNugs said:

How is Elden Ring terrible story-wise? In comparison to Horizon to stay on topic.

Never played it, but knowing how little story those kinds of games tend to have, I don’t have to.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:31 PM, pavelbagirov said:

Finished game. Overall disappointed. Best moment in the game was when Elisabeth hugged Aloy(first minutes of the game) . Ending remind me Predator 2018 ending. Sylens and Regalla barely in the game. 

Lol you really don’t know what you’re talking about. 

6 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

he couldn't tell you he didn't even play the game.  He probably read about since he likes reading dialogue so much.

Lol are you illiterate or something? Reading isn’t a bad thing. I don’t remember any dialogue that you had to read, besides the notes and what not that have lore in them. 

Just now, DarkHpokinsn said:

“Shovel ware” I don’t necessarily play those games because I enjoy all of them. Although the break games are pretty fun. I like going for easier games sometimes, no big deal. I said I didn’t play it, I have literally no interest in it. Not to mention I don’t play games to stress myself out with a ridiculously hard game. I have a long history trophy wise, those kinds of games aren’t the only ones I’ve played. I’m playing Ghostwire right now, that’s a pretty cool game. 

i'm not speaking of the difficulty of your games I'm saying Shovel ware games and Break games are shitty taste as you mentioned repeatedly, I had.  Lol.  anyway i'd just think to have such a big opinion of something comparing Horizon's story to Elden rings, so matter of fact, like you did maybe it would have been better had you played both games.    

4 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I don’t remember any dialogue that you had to read

really you smoking crack?  Stay away from that shit they putting bad stuff in it these days.

10 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

i'm not speaking of the difficulty of your games I'm saying Shovel ware games and Break games are shitty taste as you mentioned repeatedly, I had.  Lol.  anyway i'd just think to have such a big opinion of something comparing Horizon's story to Elden rings, so matter of fact, like you did maybe it would have been better had you played both games.    

really you smoking crack?  Stay away from that shit they putting bad stuff in it these days.

Have you played any of the break games? They’re pretty fun, but I guess fun means terrible game huh? I guess the only good games are the ridiculously hard ones? Cause I disagree. I like to earn an easier plat between the bigger games. I have no interest in Elden Ring, And I don’t have to play both to think one is better. Harder games don’t mean better written either. Nope, not on crack but I sense some projection there, is that why you have such bad taste? Because you’re on crack? I haven’t played horizon in a couple months now, so I have idea what you’re talking about because all the dialogue is voiced in Horizon…

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

19 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Have you played any of the break games? They’re pretty fun, but I guess fun means terrible game huh?

please stop

20 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

guess the only good games are the ridiculously hard ones?

sure it can be fun to have a challenge, if you're looking to play some i could give you some recommendations.  Elden ring isn't hard maybe you should try it.  Then possibly I could have an actual debate with you about which game is better.

20 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I have no interest in Elden Ring, And I don’t have to play both to think one is better

maybe not in some cases but it always helps especially when you're comparing stories it would make sense to have learned the beginning middle and end of each to make a opinion on it that was worth a shit.   

22 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

ecause all the dialogue is voiced in Horizon

sure but did you really sit there and let them read it to you real slow like they do.  i don't have time for that shit so i read through it all real quick and made a decision.   I'm assuming most people end up reading though them a time or two while deciding.  

• Like 1

Was wondering when this thread was going to fully devolve into a pointless game of "who has the bigger dick, Horizon/Forbidden West or FS/Elden Ring fans?" lmao

As someone who enjoyed Forbidden West despite some of my gripes with it, I don't have to play Elden Ring to understand that it's good and beloved for a reason.

Also, overrated isn't inherently a synonym for "bad". Please stop using it like it is.

I think FromSoftware games are "overrated" in general, but I still like them and understand why others love them so much. lol (Hell, Bloodborne is one of my favorite games)

Edited by Zephrese

34 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

please stop

sure it can be fun to have a challenge, if you're looking to play some i could give you some recommendations.  Elden ring isn't hard maybe you should try it.  Then possibly I could have an actual debate with you about which game is better.

maybe not in some cases but it always helps especially when you're comparing stories it would make sense to have learned the beginning middle and end of each to make a opinion on it that was worth a shit.   

sure but did you really sit there and let them read it to you real slow like they do.  i don't have time for that shit so i read through it all real quick and made a decision.   I'm assuming most people end up reading though them a time or two while deciding.  

I’ll stop when you do. Not really interested in Elden Ring. I don’t see what you mean man, they speak to you, it’s part of the immersion, why play a game like this if you’re gonna skip all the dialogue, if you don’t have time for that why are you even playing games like that. No wonder you didn’t like Horizon. You played through it in the worst way.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

Gonna slide in here "scuse me, pardon me".

Although this seems to have turned into a comparison thread I'll still give my input. I'm going to preface this by saying I have NOT played Elden Ring, I own it, it's on my home screen... but it's backlogged. However I have played all other From Soft titles (minus Demon Souls) through various platforms.

With that said I 100% agree that From Soft is terrible at telling a story, why you ask? Simple answer: I don't enjoy having to dig and dig and dig to understand what is going on, and even then still being confused. I've never figured out a From Soft story beyond "I'm going from a literal carcass to a god, while killing everything under the sun and moon on my way". But for me, that's enough, I don't have to care about the story because for me that's not what make FS games great. It's the gameplay, the insane boss fights, and the amazing community behind them.

Now to keep the other side of this coin being Horizon a bit shorter. Story is beautifully crafted and unravels as you play without trying to solve one riddler clue after another, gameplay is fun but not really challenging (very hard... Eh). Add in the fact that I don't feel obligated to play it a second, or third time, like I would with a FS game. It's a good choice to play, enjoy & appreciate, move on.

The games I personally decide to play when I'm ready to pick my next one come down to how I'm feeling. And at the end of the day there's no wrong answer when choosing.

• Like 2

don't become ubisoft

Too late.

Spoilers ahead btw. Sorry to the people who liked this game, I do not aim to insult you or take away your enjoyment of this game. If you liked it, great I'm really happy for you but I just need to rant here.

I enjoyed Zero Dawn back in 2017 but jesus christ I struggled to keep my eyes open playing Forbidden West. It was such a snooze fest.

Near the end I started to skip all dialogue without reading it, it was just so much and so fucking boring. The story intrigued me when we uncover that the spaceship did leave and these people were from a colony in outer space, that seemed really interesting. But they did absolutely nothing with that and it just devolved into the exact same story as the first game.

Regalla was an utterly pointless character and an utter waste of the amazing actor that is Angela Basset. I chose to spare her near the end and she had no stake in the story after that because of course you could have chosen to kill her. So they didn't even bother giving her anything to do after that point and then she dies in the most pointless fashion anyway. Why fucking bother giving us a choice?

Aloy is an absolutely atrocious character. She has absolutely ZERO flaws and is just perfect in everyway. BORING. All her friends dote on her constantly no matter how much she pushes them away. They just let her walk all over her. I was really hoping the story would go in the direction of her friends getting upset with her and eventually telling her she needs to stop doing this on her own or she'll lose them forever. But nope. Aloy is perfect and everything she does is 100% right all the time.

The only character I liked in this game was Varl and of course we know what happens there. Again, utterly pointless death and it barely came up after it happened.

I was absolutely livid when doing the Ted Faro mission when you find out he'd turned himself into a giant monster, only to never even see him and he gets killed off screen. Seriously? So fucking lame, such a fucking cop out.

The ending was utterly laughable. I liked the ending of ZD because it had closure with a little teaser of something to come in the future with the Sylens bit. This one has no closure and leaves us with a massive threat coming but you have to wait 5 years for the sequel to find out what happens. Lame lame lame.

The gameplay started out fun but theres so many systems going on that it gets difficult to keep track of. On hard difficulty the machines have way too much hp and combat becomes a frantic mess. I was happy with the challenge but because everything else in this game failed to engage me I didn't have the patience to stick with it so turned the difficulty down to story mode to just get through it.

Of all the gameplay systems, the berries wind me up the most. So you can carry 12 berries yeah? Run out and you can activate your reserve by holding down up and magically giving yourself 12 more berries. Why the fuck does this system exist? Who is this for? Just let me carry 24 berries, why bother with this extra button?

Again, I apologise if I've offended any fans of this game here. This is all my opinion and my personal experience. I could be 100% wrong but this is still how I felt when finishing the game.

The game is very pretty I will give it that. Although, I had to play on performance mode the whole time cause the resolution mode frame rate gave me a headache.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Never played it, but knowing how little story those kinds of games tend to have, I don’t have to.

Lol you really don’t know what you’re talking about. 

What I don’t know? Sylense is around 10 min overall in the game and Regalla probably less

20 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

What I don’t know? Sylense is around 10 min overall in the game and Regalla probably less

Dude just stop replying to him. This guy has made his mind up and will not change it.

I agree Regalla was pointless. If her plot thread wasn't in the game, the main plot would be completely unaffected. That goes to show how pointless of a character she is.

Edited by jonesey46

I think HFW suffers in comparison to HZD because the first game was building a world more than it was ever telling a story and that’s just something that a video game is tooled to do a lot more successfully. I mean personally, I can’t think of a single video game that has a notably enjoyable or even memorable story.

The least enjoyable game I’ve ever played (God of War 2018) is that way because it puts it’s attempt to tell a story so front and centre at the expense of providing anything beyond the absolute bare minimum of what could be considered gameplay.

Conversely, what I would consider the greatest games ever (Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania) have the most stupid and reductive single-line stories that each series recycle from game to game as an afterthought. Either it’s rescue princess and defeat big bad or it’s a butchered preschool version of Astro Boy/Dracula… but those games don’t suffer one bit from that, they don’t need it, story is just a crutch to move things along in any good video game.

Even games I would say are great in part because of narrative elements all come with caveats. GTA V succeeds with bombastic set pieces and excellent characters but a game with 100s of MacGuffins on a map and dozens of lengthy taxi missions will always struggle with pacing and plot delivery. Bioshock creates a fantastic world but once that backstory is explained it’s all ludicrous and full of holes. Finally, Spider-Man / Miles Morales get by on the strength of and our affinity for the license but I’d argue the story experience in either game is actually quite mediocre compared to their contemporary movies (into the Spiderverse, No Way Home etc).

Video games just aren’t an optimum delivery method for a story. They’re like buying a Lego version of the Mona Lisa. It’s more interactive and therefore more fun but at the end what you’re looking at isn’t on the level of a Da Vinci painting but that’s not the point of the experience.

8 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

The story was already pretty average in the first part to be honest. Better said not just the story itself but rather the execution of telling the story. 

It's pretty much this.

I liked Zero Dawn (though I didn't love it), but it certainly wasn't for its cookie-cutter approach to a post-apocalyptic world.

this game is GORGEOUS to look at. no shit, the best looking game I've ever seen. While visually majestic... it's narratively hollow. The assault just before no man's land (whatever that place was called) was amazing; there was danger, tension, intrigue, etc., but that was 8 hours in. Before that, I didn't care. Around 20 hours later, I stopped caring about the people and just paid attention to the trophies. HZD is one of my favorite games. HFW, if it just recycled a lot of HZD, should be up there, too. But it just felt so empty. There's a lot to do, sure. But no reasons to do them. 

This game was a roller coaster, but it started AND ended on low notes. With the Primary and Recency Effects in memory, I'm only going to remember how it bored me at the start and didn't reward me at the end. Not how it blew me away in the middle