“Time Played” is completely off

jord39912

1 hour ago, Gerardus94 said:

I just checked, seems to be the case, too soon to be broken again, i wonder if sony will ever fix it permanently.

I lost hope that they'll ever fix it permanently unfortunately. I figured it'd at least make it more than a week before breaking again though, yet here we are again lol.

Yeah. I just put down my console playtime as of Dec 31, on my spreadsheet, and from now on add the monthly hours from the PS Timetracker log - for games that I started before I began using the tracker. For "newer" games, I just use the tracker times.

It's surprising to me that Sony can't get a basic feature like this working. I've never had problems of this type in 20 years of using Steam. Nintendo's online is fairly poor, and their time tracking also has issues (won't track properly if you use two consoles, only goes up in 5 hour increments, is not properly saved on the server side), but as long as you use one console, it's accurate on the console. Sony, whose online architecture is far superior, can't get this right, even though the annual summary showed that they do have correct data. It's just not the data shown on the console.

Well, eventually they'll fix it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sorry I have not read the whole thread so I don't know if someone else already had the same idea but my assumption is that, at least on PS4, it kept counting when you put the console in Rest mode while the game was still running.

As much as I loved Bloodborne, I haven't played it for 127 hours :D I also haven't played Witcher 3 for 202 hours and I'm also quite sure I didn't clock 160 hours in MGS V or 102h in WWE 2K18 :D 

Yep, it seems to be generally unreliable even when there are no week-long outages. I manually (on paper) tracked my times, and also with the PS-Timetracker site, in January.  My manual results match the tracking site’s numbers, but the times recorded on the console are partially inaccurate. Five hours missing here, ten there. I’m now just using the site for getting numbers and add them to my spreadsheet once a month. That takes the least amount of effort and probably gives me the most accurate stats. Would still be better if the console tracking worked reliably, especially since we know from the yearly recaps that Sony does have accurate data.

Most of my times tend to be pretty accurate, but recently it's not been tallying Persona 3 properly. I have over 40 hours into it right now, and my PSN profile says 29 hours. Goat Simulator 3 is also off by about 2-3 hours. I think I put over 12 into it, but PSN says 9 hours. Fingers crossed it doesn't get more inaccurate and they find a way to make the timekeeping more accurate. 

OKay so in my experience, coming from someone who also times their gaming on Toggl (a separate app), The Time played feature is pretty accurate for something that's assuming when I'm actually playing the game. 

I usually start my timer when I get into the game, not at the start screen in case I want to smoke or chill for a second before playing. So I'll have the game open for longer than I'm actually playing on Toggl, but the times match like 80% of the time. In the cases when they don't match, it's either off by a handful of hours, or says like 0 or 1 hour, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Overall, when it's accurate, it's accurate, but there must be something funky with when i starts and stops your gameplay time.

What makes this bug even worse now is that with the latest PS5 firmware beta it now shows each game's time played tracker on the front page underneath the game tile in addition to it being in your profile like it already was. It's just crazy to me that they're putting even more of an emphasis on showing the time played for games but still put no effort into fixing the bug that has been making the time played tracker be inconsistent and inaccurate for over a year.

Edited by hydruxxo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, hydruxxo said:

What makes this bug even worse now is that with the latest PS5 firmware beta it now shows each game's time played tracker on the front page underneath the game tile in addition to it being in your profile like it already was. It's just crazy to me that they're putting even more of an emphasis on showing the time played for games but still put no effort into fixing the bug that has been making the time played tracker be inconsistent and inaccurate for over a year.

Might be why it's not working again too.

I have no interest I Discord on my ps5. If I want to chat to players on other platforms I'll use them platforms. 

The time played not working does annoy me as i like things to work. If steam and Microsoft can get this right, why can't Sony.... 

I think at this point my main hope is that Sony switches to using the other set of data they collect (the one they use for annual recaps and that can be requested from them under GDPR/CCPA regulations), as that data seems to be accurate. Even if they fixed the monthly recurring issue with local tracking, the old data of the past two years would still be flawed.