“Time Played” is completely off

jord39912

5 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's not accurate either, you'll have games with way more playtime or way less playtime than you've actually played. You'll also have games with 0 hours on them that you have the platinum in.

Exactly. Surely it wouldn't be so difficult to fix or even address it. I know it's been commented on often on over sites.

2 minutes ago, ShadowSigmaX said:

I noticed this as well. Both Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal total playtime is completely wrong. 91 and 67 respectively. Persona 5 took 150+ and Royal-granted I skipped most of the dialogue only watching the new stuff added with Dr. Maruki and the added semester-was still 100+

Yeah. Even more insulting when a game has a time tracker in it that's accurate.

Yeah it’s definitely delayed. And it counts for every minute on the application.. therefore a quick restroom/food break really could add several hours over time that you didn’t even play to your total hours (similar to steam) so it renders the stat almost useless sadly.

Which as a fellow stats lover myself, it stinks they never put more stats up for us. Would love more details on how many people out of the total amount of Sony users have a trophy. I’d be in heaven haha.

• Like 1

The common reason for discrepancies would be that when you first play a game the system has an issue logging those hours. This is how you might play several hours of something and then when you check it'll say you've played 0. Loading a game up to the main menu, closing it, and loading it back up should make sure that whatever time you play gets logged. 

If you don't want more time than you actually played logged then make sure to close the game if you feel you might be away for a significant period.

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty inaccurate. For instance it says I played Spider-Man Remastered for 81 Hours, vs. the PS4 version for 69 Hours. Now, while it did take me longer in terms of number of days played to Plat the remaster as opposed to the PS4 version, I can safely say I played for far less time overall. Or it says I put 506 hours into the PS4 version of AC Valhalla...my save file is at 302 hours, how are there 204 hours unaccounted for? Whereas for Hitman 2 is says I've played for 119 hours...that seems accurate. 

28 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

The common reason for discrepancies would be that when you first play a game the system has an issue logging those hours. This is how you might play several hours of something and then when you check it'll say you've played 0. Loading a game up to the main menu, closing it, and loading it back up should make sure that whatever time you play gets logged. 

If you don't want more time than you actually played logged then make sure to close the game if you feel you might be away for a significant period.

Yeah, tends to be the only fix ☹️ I always close a game when I'm AFK. It would annoy me having more hours on something than I've actually invested ?

16 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yeah it's pretty inaccurate. For instance it says I played Spider-Man Remastered for 81 Hours, vs. the PS4 version for 69 Hours. Now, while it did take me longer in terms of number of days played to Plat the remaster as opposed to the PS4 version, I can safely say I played for far less time overall. Or it says I put 506 hours into the PS4 version of AC Valhalla...my save file is at 302 hours, how are there 204 hours unaccounted for? Whereas for Hitman 2 is says I've played for 119 hours...that seems accurate. 

Blimey, I've never heard of it adding on time, it's even buggier than I thought ? I have a few games I know it's not added on time, but that's crazy!

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

It may be there were times you didn't close the game and it kept running in the background. Only thing I could see that would add significant hours with you unaware.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, Rozalia1 said:

It may be there were times you didn't close the game and it kept running in the background. Only thing I could see that would add significant hours with you unaware.

On top of that, it counts time in between when he loads his save, so like when sitting on the main press start screen or maybe when he presses pause while in-game it will freeze the in-game save file timer but not PS5 OS timer.

For those noticing games that don't record time at all, that's on the devs. It's a feature that has to be programmed into the game much like trophy tracking.

• 4 months later...

I checked my recently played games and noticed that it said I’ve played Elden Ring for 2 hours when I’ve played it for about 14 hours. I thought maybe it would just take time to update but now I’ve put about 30 hours into the game and it only changed to 3 hours on PlayStation. I also thought it might just be a problem with Elden Ring but I looked at all of my friends times it seems to be just fine.

There’s been some difference between in game times and my time on PlayStation before but only by an hour or two. Any reason why this is and any way to fix it?

• Like 3

I find it doesnt track time when it doesnt update to the current game im playing on my profile. Example if i played nioh yesturday but elden ring today, sometimes on the list of games on my profile still says nioh was the last game i played even if im currently playing elden ring, it then starts tracking time again when i restart the game and get that showing as latest game played. Im talking about the games section, not trophy section of your profile page. Might be worth a check

• Like 1

That is not a problem with Elden Ring as I I have the same issue with The Last of Us Part 2. According to "Time played" I spent 6 hours on the game, although I put more than 20 hours in the game. It is just a bug and there is no fix to this as far as I know.

Its

is known  to be extremely buggy. I have platted certain games in less than 5 minutes even though platinum took me 20 hours. 

Like my PS4 stack of Metro Exodus. It says i platted it in less than an hour. It seems that the tracking was only for my last session played. It never counted the time I spent getting 95% of the trophies. It’s totally unreliable unfortunately. 90% of the time shown seems to be accurate though. 

• Like 3

Back in May, my first Resident Evil Village playthrough clocked in 7 hours 34 minutes but the hours played section was telling me I had played it for 12 hours. I didn't die or reload a save nearly enough times to rack up an extra 4 1/2 hours. Pretty sure my GOTG and Plague Tale hours are inaccurate too.

I also don't have hours listed for Evolve, Godzilla, and Resident Evil Code: Veronica X. Is that because the first two are delisted games and the last one is a PS2 on PS4 title?

Edited by SnakeSound222

My original suspicions:

- PS5 SKUs track much more accurately than PS4 SKUs

- Games with online connectivity track more accurately than offline-only titles

But my native-PS5 always-online Elden Ring shows *at least* 16 fewer hours played than my savefile tallies - and I've only the one savefile, thus far. I'm chalking it up to, as suggested above, limited data exchange w/ PSN. :\ Bummer. Was absolutely looking forward to this feature, ever since I first encountered it on...I believe, 3DS.

• Like 1

I noticed this for the first time with Immortals Fenyx Rising. The in-game timer says I've played for more than 65 hours, but my PS5 only shows 59 hours. And I haven't taken myself offline or made myself appear offline for any of that time.

Not the biggest discrepancy in the world, but now I'm doubting the accuracy of my other games.

• Like 1