Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steelsammy

For he who is about to die- tips?

13 posts in this topic

So.....I'm bored and have nothing I want to play, spare Dead Space 2. I've finished the game today, fully upgraded my RIG, Stasis, Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, Contact Beam, and Detonator. Now, I'm going to try to finish the game on it's toughest difficulties- Zealot, and Hardcore.

I'd appreciate any tips you can give. Also, which should I tackle first? I know that Hardcore grants the Handcannon upon completion, which is an instant fuck-shit-up weapon.

Zealot is a piece of cake in DS2, because the game allows you to NG+ on any difficulty level except Hardcore. So, you can use all your upgraded stuff on Zealot. You'll finish it in no time.

Hardcore mode is one of the most difficult challenges that I've ever tackled in gaming. It combines Zealot-level enemies with Survivalist-level ammo drops.

One could write pages and pages of tips for Hardcore, but here are a couple of basic ones:

• Don't listen to anyone who tells you "definitely use your saves on chapters X, Y, and Z". Use your saves where they make sense for you; before parts that you found particularly hairy.
  • For upgrades, your first priority should be your RIG and stasis.
  • If you have some extra $$$, you should absolutely consider purchasing some of the DLC packs. First, the suits and weapons they provide are free at the in-game store, freeing up credits for valuable nodes and ammo. Second, all the DLC suits have a much higher maximum inventory than you start out with. This is critical for storing health packs and ammo. Any DLC suit should last you until you find the schematic for the Advanced Suit. Third, because the DLC weapons are free, you can refill their ammo at any store for free by selling and repurchasing them (as long as you haven't upgraded one). This is especially useful for the Contact Beam and Detonator.
  • Something that really helped me was having the IGN walkthrough open on my laptop next to me. It gives great detail into enemy spawn points, how many enemies you'll face in a given room, where they come from, what kind of enemies they are, etc. You won't be surprised by anything this way.
  • If you are planning on playing for long stretches (and let's be honest, this mode necessitates it), take frequent breaks. Hardcore mode is more of a mindgame than it is actually difficult. You will be constantly paranoid about dying and erasing your last 4 hours of hard work. I liked to take my dogs out every hour or so, just to think about something else for a few minutes. I found it very helpful.
  • My loadout was the Forged Plasma Cutter, Bloody Force Gun, EarthGov Detonator, and the Heavy-Duty Contact Beam. I upgraded the first two all the way. For my RIG I used the Forged Suit, which gives you an extra 15% health from all health packs.
  • Finally, the best piece of advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME. Just about every death I had in my Hardcore run could have been avoided if I had been more patient or taken an extra second to prepare for an insta-death sequence.
Edited by simula67
Added RIG to loadout bullet point

For the most part, simula67 said everything there is to say. it really is all about patience, and nothing will save you from death as often as taking your time. I also agree about leaving the game paused to take a break (but be sure you disable auto shut-off, just in case). When I got to the final chapter, I was shaking from some near-death experiences and memories of past failures, so I took the dog for a walk, and I came back, and finished the game.

One tip I will add is this: Use your Zealot playthrough wisely. You can save anywhere, so take the time to note things about each area - number and types of enemies, save locations, store locations, ammo drops, etc. You really want to learn the game inside and out if you can, because even with a walkthrough available, it's handy to know some alternative methods if you're not quite as capable at the controls as the guy who made the walkthrough video, because the first casualty in this endeavor might be your strategy when things don't go as they should.

Also, use your Zealot playthrough to learn where you have the biggest troubles, and plan your three saves accordingly. I wouldn't rely on someone else to tell you where you should save, because I think it's too fluid a thing to really nail down. My saves actually ended up being shorter than I thought they would be. I did mine in Chapter 4, Chapter 7 and Chapter 11. My reasons were because I had previously had trouble in areas just after those spots with certain things that happen. Now, had I been feeling more confident, I might have tried for Chapter 7 for my first save, and then from there probably 11 and 13. To quote Dirty Harry, "You have to ask yourself: Do I feel lucky?" Sometimes it's better to go with your instinct than your plan.

Last tip: Relax. Hardcore is tough, but plenty of people have done it, and there's no reason you can't. I never thought I would, but it was easily the most satisfying trophy I've earned to date, and it was because it required some patience, perserverance, and a bit of luck.

Have fun, and good luck!

This is the best walk through that I've found. He has this game down to a science. I found his strategies to be useful on zealot as well as hardcore.

At least take a look. I've helped two people finish their hard core play throughs by showing these to them.

I ended up changing my whole loadout because of these walk throughs. I was plasma cutter fanboy because of the One Gun trophy in DS, but Wolfwood showed me the error of my ways. ;)

One thing I can say is, you WILL die and you will get pissed off. But you will learn exactly what not to do through this. I suspect it's a little different for everyone. Once you manage to get to a point in the game when you make your 1st save (mine happened to be the end of chapter 5) you will start to gain some confidence and some hope. Just make sure you have enough plasma cutter ammo for the brute as you're dangling over the edge of the monorail :P

Hardcore mode is one of the most difficult challenges that I've ever tackled in gaming. It combines Zealot-level enemies with Survivalist-level ammo drops.

I'm pretty sure its survivalists enemies and zealot ammo drops. Might be a typo :rolleyes:

Yeah its not Zealot enemy difficulty.

There are exploits to farm mines for cash which in turn you can use to buy Nodes, Heath Packs etc, but it takes a really long time to do and it can backfire on you (figuratively and literally)

I had to start the 1st section over a few times. I have that 1st dialogue section seared into my brain. "...It's Red. Your Rig, it's red" *as I mash the X button in frustration*

Yeah its not Zealot enemy difficulty.

There are exploits to farm mines for cash which in turn you can use to buy Nodes, Heath Packs etc, but it takes a really long time to do and it can backfire on you (figuratively and literally)

I had to start the 1st section over a few times. I have that 1st dialogue section seared into my brain. "...It's Red. Your Rig, it's red" *as I mash the X button in frustration*

Which part were you dying at? having gone through the story once I know chapter 10 is going to be a bitch! (ishimura)

Made it to my first save point last night, at last. Just before you meet daina. On my first several attempts, I died on the first main window blow out (Hard to fire at the switch with the plasma cutter) and then I kept dying on the necro in chapter 1 that runs at you and you need to use staisis for the first time. For some reason I kept missing him and he would one-hit kill me. If I'd watched that opening sequence one more time I would have snapped the disc.

Made it to my first save point last night, at last. Just before you meet daina. On my first several attempts, I died on the first main window blow out (Hard to fire at the switch with the plasma cutter) and then I kept dying on the necro in chapter 1 that runs at you and you need to use staisis for the first time. For some reason I kept missing him and he would one-hit kill me. If I'd watched that opening sequence one more time I would have snapped the disc.

Played this game back on the 360 just after it was released. Loved the game even though my mates thought it wasn't a patch on the first. Personallu I thought the difficulty spike of the game adds extra scare factor, plus everything in terms of gameplay had been tweaked or something new added.

Having said that...

I died multiple times on my 'Hard to the Core' spot as you with the stasis guy.

Three years later and I now have it on PS3. Got to the stasis guy on casual mode and still got one hit killed over and over. Thats when I realised that I too have the stasis power after the machine hack. DOH!

But for future gamers who need an excellent walkthrough. Might I suggest this chaps guide > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8SCm7EQL0

Learn to catch the spitters acid vomit balls. If you kinesis that back it one shot kills anything in the game.

The ripper is nightmare for morphs if you can get yourself in a good defensive position.

Occasionally detonator trap behind yourself to protect against spawns from that direction. If you reach the end if a room and you're good, go back and pick them up the unexploded rounds.

Pick 2-4 weapons you like, don't waste money on the others, 90% of the ammo spawns tailor to the weapons you own and you'll get less trash ammo this way.

Play on zealot first, it's not bad and it'll help you learn the spawns better.

You can kill almost any single necro without using any ammo if you kinesis spam a trash can or chair or something at them, they WILL eventually die.

There are multiple rooms you can just stasis and run through.

Just got to chapter 10 and died.

Here is advice from my experience.

1: The Ripper is indeed a valuable weapon in this game. Whilst the Plasma Cutter has range, the Ripper really does rip through everything. You can destroy a brute with a stasis blast and then saw away at its shoulder joints. Its also very good crowd control from the sections where the Necro-kids come after you.

2: As pointed out by others, use the enemies projectiles against themselves with your TK. The acid pack spitters can be killed in one 'catch and return' TK. Also make sure to use the enemies spiked limbs for projectiles, especially early on when it can save you a load of ammo, as well as do more damage.

3: Have a detonator gun ready for the lift section on chapter 7. Stand in the middle and even without any node upgrades, you can kill the hornets with one mine shot. There are 21 Hornets that try to ambush you, try to have about 25-30 mines and stand in the middle. I've had to do this section 3 times today because of dying in later chapters, but in 3 chapter 7 playthroughs, I was only hit once by the Hornets in the 3 attempts... even unlocked the trophy for it :D

4: Take your time. All my deaths today have come about due to lack of concentration and then fumbling when trying to recover my mistakes.

5: Know your weapons. Each weapon has an alternative fire mode. Most are projectile based, so learn your distances. Waste some ammo just practicing and then reload when you feel confidant that you know how to use the weapon to the best of its ability

6: Enjoy the experience. For those people that said this game wasn't scary, they most probably haven't aimed for 'Hard to the Core'. Its a true survival horror experience at its best. Its a real shame this mode couldn't be played from the start. That would have been an amazing DS2 gaming experience I reckon.

7: Don't fret about having to do chapters over and over again. Deaths in this game lead to experience, use that and then you'll be back to your last point in no time.

8: Play when you have the time. Don't play like an hour before work or going out, not unless of course you just want to experience the level. If things go to plan you can probably do about 3-4 stages in as many hours, but then you also have to take into consideration that you may have to restart a few times. This game is best when you have tonnes of spare time on your hands.

Edited by Brako_Version_5