How are Resident Evil games?

Slifer1945

if i want to get better at gaming then i need to play everyday and i play long and hard games like diablo reaper souls zombies those type of genre i did not start with it yet i mean by that dead island definitieve edition and riptide the resident evil games did someone started with resident evil games and how are those resident evil games?

• Like 1

Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 7 and even Resident Evil (8) Village are fantastic games.

RE2R is a third-person over-the-shoulder zombie game with bosses, "Metroidvania" gameplay & looks and plays phenomenally.
RE7 is a first-person "zombie" game with bosses, "Metroidvania" gameplay & looks and plays phenomenally. (the zombies are just generic mould creatures, easily the worst part about the game)

RE8 is a first-person zombie/werewolf/vampire game with bosses, "Metroidvania" gameplay & looks and plays phenomenally.

All 3 of those games are amazing and well worth a try. They all can be quickly speedran and if you want the trophies you'll have to.

26 minutes ago, sword-blaster45 said:

if i want to get better at gaming then i need to play everyday and i play long and hard games like diablo reaper souls zombies those type of genre i did not start with it yet i mean by that dead island definitieve edition and riptide the resident evil games did someone started with resident evil games and how are those resident evil games?

...I read your question 3 times but couldn't make much sense of it, you mean how are the Resident Evil games platinum wise or the games in general? The games vary from title to title so I'd suggest looking up some gameplay since it ranges from fixed camera, behind the shoulder and first person, again depends on the game, they are overall really good games some better than others the MP ones being the least, trophy wise the games ask you to beat the game in every difficulty, getting S rank (the best rank) and doing challenge runs like knife only, no saving, no healing etc.. And some random tasks here and there, they are overall not hard just need practice, one last thing you don't need to play every single day vast amounts of hours to get good at games, an hour in which you can focus will reward you with more experience than the everyday slog of "just want to get through with it", practice makes perfect so that will come naturally.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sword-blaster45 said:

It was difficult to follow what you were asking because all the sentences flowed into each other and overlapped. But if you are interested in Resident Evil games, I would recommend what @Sunnyburrito said above. Do a bit of research, watch some YouTube videos and figure out some of the different gameplay styles the games have used over the years. I recommend the Resident Evil 2 remake as a good starting point.

• Like 1

I’m new to the Resident Evil series myself, but from what I’ve experienced thus far I would say it’s pretty fantastic.

RE HD remake and RE Zero can be a little difficult to adjust to at first due to the old school mechanics and fixed camera angles, but boy is it worth it. I had an amazing time with those games, and earning the platinum was a really fun time. They are fairly challenging and will test your knowledge of the game and the map, but watching your completion times get better and better with each run is super addictive and makes them very fulfilling platinums to earn.

Resident Evil 2 remake is equally amazing and is better tailored for modern gamers. It has all the survival horror and classic gameplay elements that made the aforementioned titles so thrilling, but with a modern control scheme and 3rd person, over-the-shoulder camera angle that is much more comfortable for the people like myself who never played the old classics. Also the graphics are superb, and I think RE2 has the best zombies I’ve seen in any game, period.

The only other one I’ve played so far is Resident Evil 4. And while the series takes a dramatic turn into campy action territory, it felt great and was a phenomenal experience. I absolutely loved the atmosphere and settings in this game, and once I got used to the controls I took off and didn’t look back until I’d earned all the trophies. Which speaking of, there is no platinum unfortunately. Still, I’d highly recommend it if you enjoyed the earlier games but want to try something fresh and new.

• Like 1

...what?

RE games - all main titles are great, even 6 when you accept it as action shooter, not horror game. About difficulty, 4 and 5 are challenging to new players, mostly due to outdated tank controls. 6 is straight up third person shooter, pretty easy I'd say. 7 is the actual opposite, tough-ish first person horror shooter. Village is successor to 7, but easier and more action oriented. Remake of 1 is very outdated for modern new players, only pick that one if you like the other titles, 2 is modernized, but probably the hardest imo and 3 is again easier and bit more action-y. Revalations 1 and 2 are for the fans only I'd say, definitely don't start with those.

Anyway, to "get better at gaming", you don't have to train like a professional athelete or anything, it's a passive hobby, just play whatever you like and you will get better. I'm seeing these kind of posts a lot recently, gaming became very competitive for some reason. Remember guys, enjoying a game is more important than "git-ing gud" or 100%-ing everything!

• Like 2

I have only played the RE2 & RE3 remake, as well as RE7 and RE8 and they really are quality games. Awesome graphics, physics, story and so on. I enjoyed playing them and got invested into the story. I do recommend playing them, but maybe think about waiting until they get the updates so you can play at better resolution etc. If you’re looking for the platinum the hardest IMO would be RE7 as with the others you can buy the unlimited ammo etc straight away so they’re a lot easier.

It's a funny old series really - it swings around quite a bit, in quality, in tone and even in genre to some extent.

The low points are pretty dang low, but the high points are superlative - and worthy of the acclaim the series commands.

Generally, the series has lasted the length of time it has, and gained the status it has for good reason - and the high-points of the series are so good, that the audience is willing to keep on with it through the lower points.

Currently, it seems to be riding particularly high though - the two remakes are fantastic, as (I hear) are RE7 and RE8 - and long may that good streak continue!

7 minutes ago, SolaceP said:

I have only played the RE2 & RE3 remake, as well as RE7 and RE8 and they really are quality games. Awesome graphics, physics, story and so on. I enjoyed playing them and got invested into the story. I do recommend playing them, but maybe think about waiting until they get the updates so you can play at better resolution etc. If you’re looking for the platinum the hardest IMO would be RE7 as with the others you can buy the unlimited ammo etc straight away so they’re a lot easier.

I'd say 2 is harder, but yeah, 7 is definitely close second.

Both RE1 and RE2 Remakes are the greatest Remakes in video game history imo, the original RE3 is probably my personal favorite in the series followed super closely by the original RE2. Then RE Code Veronica, RE4, RE7 and RE8 are all fantastic. And I personally even like RE5 and ,6, but 5 us probably the worst numbered entry. Also RE Revelations and it's Raid Mode are incredible, same with Rev 2. 

If you can't tell, I love RE a lot lol

I'm a player who grew up with the first PlayStation, then 2nd. I loved the classic RE 1-3 and 4. This year, I decided to play Remakes and catch up on the latest games in the series. I highly recommend RE2 Remake. For me it is a masterpiece and the original RE2 has always been my favorite classic. Also the RE3 Remake is great!

However, I was very disappointed with the RE7, it is a complete departure from what this series was. But check it out for yourself. These games have a demo version for PSN. There is no risk. See for yourself. Regards.

Edited by Kessarath

There is 3 types of Resident evil games. old school horror with the tank controls and cool and fair hardness to it. Then there is the over the shoulder action types more around 4 it started and is more aimed to dealing with a lot of gun play and not much on the horror of running out of ammo more just kicking and killing and so on. then there is the return to horror that is not like the old school but is still good that being the remake of 2 and 3 and 7 but yeah.

If you want old school you would need to go for re1 to 3, remake of 1 and 0 or even the outbreak series and lastly code veronica x. Action ones is more or less 4, 5, 6 and then 8 along with the rail gun games like gun survivor1 and dead aim and op raccoon city. The return to horror is the revelations games, 7, remake of 2 and 3 and that is it pretty much

The Re-imagining's of 2 and 3 are far closer to shooters than the original games, they are good games none the less. In my opinion these do not feel anything like the originals, even 4 feels more survival horror than these 2. I would honestly suggest trying the Originals first before these versions of 2/3

If you want classic style then play the originals or the RE1 RE-make, this one is amazing and stays true to the original w while expanding on it.

A good mix of the 2 would be the Revelations games. Now the Raid modes are straight up shooter sections

Then there are the First person games, which I have not played so I do not know anything about them. I also did not play the spin-offs, Dead Aim, Racoon City,  Gun Survivor.

As for getting better I suggest starting on normal and increasing the difficulty progressively.

2 hours ago, czDante92 said:

I'd say 2 is harder, but yeah, 7 is definitely close second.

Yeah it’s definitely a toss up between them but like I was saying if you can buy unlimited ammo for RE2 before you start you can just breeze through it. As with RE7 you can’t buy unlimited ammo etc as DLC, you need to finish madhouse to acquire it. (RE7 SPOILERS AHEAD) - I had to sit up for the Marguerite greenhouse fight and I spent more time than I’d like to admit on the Jack 3 fight ? 

If you're getting into Resident Evil just for the games be prepared for a wide assortment different "genres". Some games are straight horror, some are more puzzle focused while others are action focused, others are single player or can be multiplayer centered. Also be prepared for different Plat difficulties.

Now I am assuming you are just doing the PS4/PS5 available games.

RE0, RE Code Veronica (The hardest of all the games imo), and Resident Evil Remake are all fixed camera, survival horror games. The Plats are the hardest among the series.

RE4, RE5, RE6 are all action games with 5 and 6 being meant for coop with a buddy. The Plats are the easier ones among the series.

RE2 and RE3 Remakes are fine games but it should not be used as a substitute for the originals. 2 is more survival horror while 3 is more action. The Plats will require some finessing unless of course you buy the auto-unlock for the Store then it becomes the easiest.

RE7 and RE8 are first-person games that some will say goes heavy into action, especially 8. These Plats can be a pain, but not hard. I would rank it just below the Remakes without the auto-unlocks.

The Revelation series is a mix between action and horror with a third person camera. These games feature the best mini-game the series has (again, imo). The Plats are quite difficult and the most grindy as well. 

I'll just add one thing to this topic: if you have PS5 and are planning to start Resident Evil 2, 3, or 7, I'd recommend waiting because Capcom recently announced they'll be releasing PS5 native ports of these 3 games later this year.

Source: