The Witcher 3's "CD Projekt" Interview by IGN

Chambers35

This is definitely worth a read so I thought I'd share it with you good folks :D
 ----

Ask anyone what games they’re looking forward to the most in 2014, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will probably be on that list. Developer CD Projekt RED’s latest open-world action RPG was extremely well received at E3 2013, winning over 55 awards, and has since then been referred to as a true next-gen experience to look forward to.

We caught up with Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of the CD Projekt group, to talk about its ambitious project, dealing with worldwide accolades, game mechanics, and lots more.

Can newcomers dive straight into The Witcher 3 or will they be lost in the game?

People do not need to play The Witcher 1 or 2 before they jump into Wild Hunt; it's perfectly fine. The game has a great introduction that will make them feel right at home, and we're working really hard to communicate this fact.
Each game has had its own story, but if you've played through both the games, or have even read Andrzej Sapkowski’s books, you'll be privy to a lot of stuff others may not get. That being said, the story is still very capable of standing on its own.

Good to know. On PC, will my older save games grant me some sort of bonus content or will my previous choices affect the game world in any way?

I cannot confirm this yet, but we're definitely looking at it on the PC side. We don't want to disappoint our PC fan base as we know mechanics like this are very important to them.

Any plans of releasing a graphic novel to bridge the gap between games for newcomers?

We've already announced a deal with Dark Horse comics in the US, and we'll be releasing a bunch of comics in a few months, so keep an eye out for that. Besides the comic books, we'll also be releasing a Witcher-themed board game that's designed by us and developed by Fantasy Flight Games. There's also a digital version of the board game planned for iOS and Android.

Wild Hunt is supposed to be 30 times the size of the older Witcher games. Is it extremely challenging to make such a vast game world and populate it with content that is capable of retaining gamers’ interest for hours on end?

(Laughs). Well, it is a challenge to develop games, let alone large open-world games like The Wild Hunt. In terms of the development itself, we have a team working on the game as well as on the engine powering the game. We have a bigger quest team and design team, and they spend a lot of time populating the world with significant content, that by the way is all tailor-made.

In The Witcher 3 you won’t have generic Fed Ex-like quests where you have to go here, fetch something, and then deliver it to someone else. Of course, you will have orders or side-quests to kill beasts, but we're trying to put a unique spin on every single quest. We want to make the story meaningful, but at the same time, if you wish you explore the game world at your own pace, it will be possible to do so. We want the game to feel natural, and we want players to be able to discuss their unique adventures with their friends.

How long will one playthrough of the game last, with and without side quests?

We're looking at roughly 50 hours for the main storyline depending on your gameplay style and the difficulty level. If you do most or all of the side quests, you're looking at anything between 100 to 120 hours of gameplay.

There were a lot of erratic difficulty spikes in The Witcher 2. Will The Witcher 3 have an easier learning curve? 

(Snickers) We call this the Eastern European immersion curve, where we throw players straight into the deep end. On a more serious note, while I was going through some of the reviews, I read that certain Western journalists died multiple times in the prologue itself, and that wasn’t a good thing. We don't have the ambition to be a Demon's Souls. We're definitely working on the immersion curve, balancing the game to make sure people get well-introduced to the game world and its mechanics without any controller-breaking scenarios. If you don't want this game to be hard, it won't be. However, if you want a challenge, you can knock yourself out with the hardcore mode. With The Witcher 3, you should have the experience you want. Obviously, our core audience is the RPG gamer, but we're looking to expand that demographic with gamers who just want to follow the main story, and have a satisfying hack-and-slash experience.

So like any other medieval action game then?

I don't want to use the term ‘action game’, because The Witcher 3 is still very heavy on the RPG elements, but we would like to give our players the feeling that there is more to this game than creating alchemy potions or sorting through your inventory.

Fair enough. Speaking of action, could you maybe touch upon the game’s new combat system?

It's really tough to describe the combat system, as it is something you have to play and experience for yourself to fully understand. We're definitely looking at a more fluid combat system with Wild Hunt, where attacking an enemy feels more natural and smooth, unlike older games where you had to lock onto enemies constantly.

What we saw in Batman: Arkham Asylum is a very cool system, and I don't want to draw any comparisons, but that's definitely part of the motivation for us. I can make gamers a promise that combat in The Witcher 3 is already fun and that we're constantly balancing it till we hit that sweet spot.

Will you still retain some of the game's older mechanics, like different swords for different enemies, oils that can boost your skills, potions that can give you an edge in combat, and so on?

Yes, of course. The Witcher 3 is a Witcher game after all, and Geralt is a professional monster slayer. There is one steel sword for human opponents and one silver sword for all his supernatural foes. And this will definitely stay in the game along with other mechanics like crafting and alchemy.
But like I said earlier, you can play through the game without crafting new weapons or creating new potions as well. You may just have a tougher time with some of the enemies.

Geralt is a professional monster hunter, but there wasn’t a lot of monster hunting in The Witcher 2. This time around, will we get to track and hunt monsters in an unscripted way? Will there be side quests that tie into this mechanic?
It's funny, because in The Witcher 2, Geralt got so involved in the world of politics and wars that we kind of forgot he was a monster hunter. Witchers are like outcasts born out of a hellish initiation from which very few survive. Those who survive are given different mutagens that grant them

superhuman abilities, so they're very fast, agile, and resilient. They're also very skilled swordsmen who have magical powers.

You'll see we have a whole system of tracking monsters using special Witcher senses. You will also be able to refer to our in-depth Bestiary that will be populated as you find out more about a monster through the story or side-quests. You can then use that information to pinpoint their weaknesses, and fight them more effectively. So yes, the monster hunting bit will be an important part of the game, and will make for some really cool side-quests.

In many RPGs today, you can become a demigod after grinding around for a few hours. In Skyrim, for example, I was killing dragons with one arrow after the 50-hour mark. How can you ensure that the game will constantly challenge the player?

I don't think this was an issue in our previous games, so I don't see why it should be an issue in Wild Hunt. We've made sure the game feels balanced at all times. We love Skyrim and we’re huge fans, but this is a different game. Skyrim was an out-and-out open-world game, while ours is a story-driven game that unfolds in an open-world scenario. The priorities of both games are very different.

You will be able to explore the game world of the The Witcher 3, but in a lot of ways, we'll be subtly reminding you about the plot. Do all the side-quests you want, but don't forget there is a story waiting for you - that I personally feel is the most rewarding part of the game.

So I could finish the story and then go back to tackle the side-quests?

At this moment, the answer is “almost.” Currently you have absolute freedom to do what you want up until the last few hours of the game. If we decide to allow players to return to the game after the ending, I imagine that, based on your choices in the game, some quests could be locked because of your previous actions. So, let's say you kill an entire village off, you won't be able to access side quests from there. It's not a particular example from the game, but you catch my drift right?

Sure. So player choices still play an important role in The Witcher universe?
All the time, and I think this differentiates us from other games out there. We don't tell you what matters and what doesn't, as your actions in the game speak far louder than words. I mean, there are 36 different endings in Wild Hunt.

What? For real?

Yes. We have an internal debate if it's 36 or more, but I can tell you that there are many, MANY different endings. You will definitely want to play this game more than once.

Any online component planned for the future, or is Wild Hunt a single-player experience only?
It's a single-player experience all the way, but we are looking to release the REDkit sometime after the game launches for the modding community. This way, people can create their own adventures, and this will inevitably add a lot of fun and replayability to the game.

How was development on next-gen consoles for you? How much of your vision did you have to sacrifice to gain stable frame rates on the PS4 and Xbox one?

It is extremely manageable. There is a lot of power in these machines, and I don't want to say we're using them to their capacity, but we're fairly close to doing so. We made a decision to go next-gen roughly two and a half years ago, so we've spent a lot of time with these machines, and it's been a great experience across all three platforms. On the old platforms, namely the Xbox 360 and PS3, we probably would have had to sacrifice nearly half of our vision.

Any plans to lease out the REDengine?

Yes, we are looking at that aspect. If people want to make an RPG, there's lot of tech out there already like the Unreal engine or Crytek's engine, but there is definitely a place for the REDengine on the market. We would love to see more upcoming RPGs using our engine.
The tech is super solid and it works very well on all three platforms, but having said that, we still have to release a game and that is our highest priority. The REDkit that we plan on launching soon after the game releases is also a good place to start and experiment with.

As a PC gamer, what kind of configuration should I be running if I wish to max the game out? 

(Laughs) We'll be releasing that information soon, but you can already start saving up for an upgrade.

Do you have a release date for Wild Hunt?

Not yet, but we'll be announcing it soon.

But it will be this year itself right?

Yes, in 2014.

So what’s next after this game? Can you tell us anything about Cyberpunk 2077?

People have been asking me if Cyberpunk 2077 will have multiplayer or if it will be a straight-up shooter, and I tell them to relax, because it will be a true RPG game.

We are known for storytelling, and big game worlds, and so we’re taking all what we've learnt from previous three Witcher games, as well as the open-world aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077. So yes, it is an all-out RPG game, but we're looking at having a lot of new gameplay elements that I cannot talk about yet. One thing I can say for sure is that it is definitely NOT a multiplayer shooter.

Most European RPGs do not enjoy the success and accolades that you guys have received. Does this put a lot of pressure on you now, or does this keep the team grounded? 

I don't think it does, but then again, I'm not a developer. Accolades are very important, because the recognition makes things easier for us. At E3 2013, we got 55 awards, and for The Witcher 2, the biggest number of awards we got was maybe five, so we've come a long way. This kind of recognition also builds confidence within the team, because they now know people like what they’re working on. This gives them renewed confidence, which in turn helps them to make a better product. Now we are financially independent, self-funded, and self-published across the world, but we didn't start from this position.

So will you continue to remain independent and self-publish future games?

Absolutely! We may be a stock-listed company, but all four owners - myself included - have no plans to change the way we work.

Digitally, do you plan on sticking to your usual platforms (Steam and GOG) for Wild Hunt, or are you also looking at other services like Uplay and Origin?

We will sell our game where it makes sense digitally, as we have no prejudices against any platform or any company. The game will be available on GOG (Good Old Games), Steam, and retail across the world, and this time around, we are looking at 14 localized versions.

Since you guys have started from scratch, do you have any advice for game developers who may face similar issues, the key one being lack of funding?

Unless you want to develop a huge RPG - which is not the best starting point since you can go bankrupt - start small. Just think of an idea, find the technological means, and then try and make a prototype. It can have just half an hour to an hour of gameplay. Show your creation to your friends. If they like it, contact the media/press, and see what they have to say about it. If it's good, they will tell you it's cool. If it's not, they'll give you a reality check, and then you can go back to the drawing board.

Take Papers, Please for example. The game doesn’t have stellar graphics, but the whole world is talking about it because it has character. I think the main problem with a lot of people is that they chase VC (venture capitalist) funding or publishers, but I think that's a backward approach. Make a solid product first, and then go out into the market. It starts from hard work and proving that you're worth it. The rewards will come later.

Source

Definitely one of my most anticipated games :yay: Can't wait! Anyone else looking forward to it?

Very awesome this promises to be one heck of an amazing rpg

I'm still sad they never ported the Witcher 2 to consoles, my laptop is nowhere near good enough to run this game

Yup, me too. I'd have loved to play 1 & 2.

I did however watch a movie version of the games I found on Youtube :) Took me a while to watch them but I now have a little bit more knowledge of the story :D

Yup, me too. I'd have loved to play 1 & 2.

I did however watch a movie version of the games I found on Youtube :) Took me a while to watch them but I now have a little bit more knowledge of the story :D

That's a pretty good idea, do you remember the name of the video? I'll might watch it myself too