Valkyrie Elysium (PS5|PS4)

Abby_TheLastofUs

Most surprising thing out of the State of Play for me (other than Square Enix just pumping out even more games this year).

I loved the old Valkyrie Profile games, and I was thinking to myself as the trailer was playing "is... is this some kind of new Valkyrie Profile game...? Nah, couldn't be". Was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

Though this definitely looks very different from the Profile games, I assume it's more in the vein of a spin-off. Still very interested regardless, and I hope they also remaster/port VP 1 and 2 to PS4/PS5 eventually as well.

• Like 2

This game looks terrible to me. The combat looks particularly putrid. The graphics are awul, even if I blur my vision and pretend that it's "stylized". Valkyrie, in particular, looks terrible. On the plus side, I'm always happy to get more tunes from Motoi Sakuraba.

But honestly, who are they making this game for? As one of the few (if sales are any indication) VP fans out there, this isn't what I want to see. Do they think having loose action combat will bring in more folks? LOL. This will be born and die, just like Act Raiser did.

I just don't get Square anymore. But if there is one potential bright light, maybe we'll see a remaster of VP and VP2?...

...yeah, I know it's wishful thinking.

Edited by starcrunch061

The silver lining is that it's not a mainline game with this kind of low-budget effort and disrespect to the main series. Disappointing, but at least I won't be baited into playing it like with Star Ocean 5. Much easier to skip as a spin-off.

Also Elysium? Is this supposed to be some kind of counter to God of War going norse, so you turn vp into hellenic route or something? Just nopes all around

Edited by mecharobot
  • Like 2

The only thing I didn't like was the battle system, looks really pretty generic hack and slash, wish they would have kept the engaging system from before but Square Enix is obsessed with this kind of battle system since Final Fantasy XV, tbh I'm more interested in the Not Final Fantasy Tactics they announced.

• Like 1

As many fans I'm sure will be saying. Not exactly what we want looking at it right now but... it will have to do. Hrist getting screwed for the second time but at least it seems like she will at least feature as the rival if that is her at the end of the trailer. Though I have to ask how there is this 4th Valkyrie unless this is just an amnesiac Silmeria as the previous games seemed to very put forward that there was only 3 Valkyries and beyond that Odin only ever kept 1 active at a time for whatever reason (paranoia I guess as the Valkyries seem to be prone to betray him outside the villainous Hrist). Side note but I hope they bring back the main character from the Plume game. Would be good to see him out there as a "Hel Knight". 

On 10/03/2022 at 5:54 PM, mecharobot said:

Also Elysium? Is this supposed to be some kind of counter to God of War going norse, so you turn vp into hellenic route or something? Just nopes all around

I mean maybe, but other religions/pantheons/mythologies being a thing isn't alien to Valkyrie profile. You recruit Shinto believing Samurai/Priestesses in the first game for Odin. You fight an Ancient Egyptian boss also. Having Hellenic stuff in the game would not be strange for the series as a result. Heck, even Norse stuff is done differently than the norm in VP considering Odin is a villain and Surt is actually the heroic resistance fighting against the oppressive Odin.

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:37 AM, starcrunch061 said:

[…] I just don't get Square anymore. But if there is one potential bright light, maybe we'll see a remaster of VP and VP2?... […]

On 3/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

[…] Though this definitely looks very different from the Profile games, I assume it's more in the vein of a spin-off. Still very interested regardless, and I hope they also remaster/port VP 1 and 2 to PS4/PS5 eventually as well. […]

Well, wishes appear to have been granted (mine, and others)… sort of. The digital deluxe edition includes the PSP port of the first game, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Releases 9//25/22. Can’t wait.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ashande said:

Well, wishes appear to have been granted (mine, and others)… sort of. The digital deluxe edition includes the PSP port of the first game, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Releases 9//25/22. Can’t wait.

I'm very pleased to hear this. I suppose with PS1 and PSP games getting ported to PS4/PS5 now with the new PS+, it made this game getting ported more of a possibility. I know it's unlikely, but it'll also be nice to see Valkyrie Profile 2 ported as well (perhaps I'm getting too greedy though).

On 7/5/2022 at 7:59 PM, Ashande said:

Awesome. Lenneth isn’t quite as good as the original NA release of VP on PS1, but I’m not complaining.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Most surprising thing out of the State of Play for me (other than Square Enix just pumping out even more games this year).

I loved the old Valkyrie Profile games, and I was thinking to myself as the trailer was playing "is... is this some kind of new Valkyrie Profile game...? Nah, couldn't be". Was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

Though this definitely looks very different from the Profile games, I assume it's more in the vein of a spin-off. Still very interested regardless, and I hope they also remaster/port VP 1 and 2 to PS4/PS5 eventually as well.

I had the exact same reaction at the announcement.