Free Returnal Update Adds Co-op + Game Mode

Maxemole

4 hours ago, Maxemole said:

According to the PlayStation Blog progress will be saved for the host like in Souls. Joining players will still keep any logs and such that they find, but game progression appears to be for the host only. 

This honestly needs to stop! This isn't 2010 where co op was in its infancy. It's been done successfully for yrs n for games to continue to add half baked co op in 2022 is unacceptable. Saves should count for both/all players in the game. I should be able to join some1 n play for a couple of hrs then go back to my game n continue where I left off. Gearbox has been doing this successfully for yrs with borderlands, so have other devs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Maxemole said:

According to the PlayStation Blog progress will be saved for the host like in Souls. Joining players will still keep any logs and such that they find, but game progression appears to be for the host only. 

Will if the host is  missing 1 log doesn't that mean if the second player join's find the log with them the log trophy's are done?

Edited by MRgreen55

On 10/03/2022 at 10:34 AM, GoldenShaka said:

Wondering how they're going to patch the game to accommodate the coop mode, I mean to save progress from both players, I hope is not saved just for the host. 

Overheard in a podcast, the coop mode progression is tied to host. So like dark souls, you post (summon) a coop session for public or private and they can join your game. So can just get a second player in to help with a single boss for example . For person joining, doubt you'll get much out of it outside of maybe collectibles. But been able to play this game with a friend does sound fun and should be get alot more people into the game who haven't started it due to difficulty.

On 10/03/2022 at 10:34 AM, GoldenShaka said:

Wondering how they're going to patch the game to accommodate the coop mode, I mean to save progress from both players, I hope is not saved just for the host.

Edited by SlipingJimmy
  • Like 2

We have almost March 22nd in Australia (though i am not from Australia)... and we still don't have any new trophies for the expansion pack Ascension. Interesting ... Wouldn't there be any new trophies in this big update?

Edited by Kessarath

On 3/9/2022 at 7:08 PM, MsVelvet said:

This honestly needs to stop! This isn't 2010 where co op was in its infancy. It's been done successfully for yrs n for games to continue to add half baked co op in 2022 is unacceptable. Saves should count for both/all players in the game. I should be able to join some1 n play for a couple of hrs then go back to my game n continue where I left off. Gearbox has been doing this successfully for yrs with borderlands, so have other devs.

Borderlands is specifically designed to be played with others, though.  It's a looter-shooter, like Division 2.  Returnal is not designed to be played with others, it's a single-player 3rd-person Roguelike.  They added co-op so you can play with friends.

Having said that, I do agree that progress should count for both the host and the visiting player.  I understand why it doesn't though.  To me, I think co-op is more for people who have already completed the game solo (as its intended to be completed) and want to play with friends.  That way, progress doesn't matter; you just start fresh.

I haven't played the game yet, but will very soon (already purchased and downloaded).  I will not be playing co-op until I've completed it.  I have some friends who I want to play with, but not before I've experienced the game as it was intended to be played...solo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kessarath said:

We have almost March 22nd in Australia (though i am not from Australia)... and we still don't have any new trophies for the expansion pack Ascension. Interesting ... Wouldn't there be any new trophies in this big update?

Shhhh, don't jinx it! I'm constantly checking the "new dlc" tab to make sure they DON'T add any new trophies. I've found some used copies for $35 and if they keep the trophy list the way it is, I'll get it this week. If they add co op trophies I'll skip it. I know it sounds stupid, but that's my problem, isn't it? Haha

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kessarath said:

Yeah, still no new trophies but I'm still on 2.000.003 (thats from november I think?). I'll wait for the patch to download but I'll be kinda dissapointed if there're no new trophies :(

39 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

Yeah, still no new trophies but I'm still on 2.000.003 (thats from november I think?). I'll wait for the patch to download but I'll be kinda dissapointed if there're no new trophies :(

Now it is supposed to be 3.0. I have mixed feelings about the possible lack of new trophies. For me, however, it's better without them (maybe?) - still not sure. On the other hand, I had a great time looking for glyphs. I will play without pressure or focus on new trophies - so love this game!

It may also be that new trophies will only appear on the servers at the time of the new update. Since there are still no update, there are no new trophies. Neither did they mention the new trophies anywhere.

I think they want to reach as many players as possible now, the game is going to be easier. That's why they add cooperation. It was a rather difficult game. They want to change it, and that's what they are doing. So maybe they don't add trophies, so as not to complicate anything. Sisyphus Tower without trophies will not be such a challenge, if you know what I mean.

I personally completed the game before the update that added a cycle save. A good friend of mine bought Returnal when he found out there would be a cooperation. There will probably be more such people.

Edited by Kessarath

18 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Shhhh, don't jinx it! I'm constantly checking the "new dlc" tab to make sure they DON'T add any new trophies. I've found some used copies for $35 and if they keep the trophy list the way it is, I'll get it this week. If they add co op trophies I'll skip it. I know it sounds stupid, but that's my problem, isn't it? Haha

You do you but please for the love of god don't skip this game for any reason. Easily one of the best games I've ever played and I want everyone to experience it.

• Like 3

Just my personal problem, but i hope there will be new trophies. I'm curious about the new content, but at the moment i'm having a blast with Elden Ring (and also want to platinum Sifu). So if there are no new trohies then i will check the new content later. New trophies would be an incentive (Platinum + 100%, does appeal to me).